Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7717 replies to this topic

#4351 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 697 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 14:36

well it all depend on wich series, its very difficult to compare the level of competition of the south african and australian series to the canadian and later north american series. still its sad that ian sheckter never came in north america to show his skill like at trois-rivieres . his brother did race in north america in f5000

However in 77 GV raced in the first 4 races of the F Atlantic season in SA, Scheckter winning the first 3 with GV 3rd, 5th & ? (out of top 6), however in the 4th race both crashed.

Edited by zakeriath, 08 May 2009 - 14:37.

Advertisement

#4352 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 18:33

This book on 4CV based racing cars looks interesting to me..

http://boutique.gazo...?produit_id=265

#4353 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 993 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 18:57

Friends:

My copy of Mark Donohue, Technical Excellence at Speed, by Michael Argetsinger, arrived yesterday, and it's a fabulous book. The author really and truly brings out the human aspect in chapters that are largely anecdotal, often involving the people who were originally there with Donohue. Sure, there may be only 50 photographs, but to me that just allows more space for the real meat. I spent two hours reading it last night, and I'm totally hooked. At $39.95, it's a complete bargain; see www.bullpublishing.com.

Disclaimer: Through my business, Toad Hall Motorbooks, I also sell this book (www.toadhallbook.com). Being a bookseller exposes me to plenty of mediocre books, so I know a good book when I see one, and this one is top level.

Frank

#4354 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:04

My copy of Mark Donohue, Technical Excellence at Speed, by Michael Argetsinger, arrived yesterday, and it's a fabulous book. The author really and truly brings out the human aspect in chapters that are largely anecdotal, often involving the people who were originally there with Donohue. Sure, there may be only 50 photographs, but to me that just allows more space for the real meat. I spent two hours reading it last night, and I'm totally hooked. At $39.95, it's a complete bargain; see www.bullpublishing.com.

Agreed. Mine arrived Friday, and it will be hard to tear myself away for Mother's Day. :blush:

The good books make you really resent the poor ones. If you're going to take and time and effort . . .

#4355 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 19:00

I found Len Sutton's name in more than forty posts on TNF, but nary a one mentioned his book, My Road To Indy.

Len, who has just embarked on a chemotherapy series, is an accomplished communicator and has plenty of interesting things to say. The only criticisms of the book I've heard are "It ends too soon" and "It's too short".

You can order it from his Web site, and he'd be pleased to personalize one of the second printing, which is dwindling down ...

Len Sutton
indysutton@comcast.net
www.lensutton.com

If you are not a member of the very active Yahoo!
RACING HISTORY Group, consider signing up.

--
Frank S
San Diego CA
USA

This one was on my wish list for a very looooong time, and I finally bought it with my latest stateside order. My first impression was "Oh, rather thin!" for a price of 35 USD - less than 100 pages - but once I started reading that was soon forgotten. Len Sutton, for those who never got to know him, was a very special person, and even though I sadly never communicated with him directly (one of those missed opportunities :(), I "knew" him from his postings on the Yahoo Racing History group, and the book is much the same: informative, delightful, modest, almost self-effacing and with an underlying warmth that is simply endearing. Most of the many pictures were new to me, and they chronicle not only his 20 years of active race driving, but also the time before and after. If you are interested in postwar US racing, Indianapolis, high banks, dirt tracks, Midgets, Sprints, Stock Cars or Track Roadsters, don't hesitate - get the book!!! :)

#4356 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,727 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 22:58

I'm only about 70 years too late in mentioning this, but earlier this week I obtained (via eBay for a very reasonable sum when you look at prices on ABE) a copy of "The Modern Boy's Book of Racing Cars": undated, but published "from Fleetway House" in early 1938. That "from Fleetway House" means that it was essentially a production of The Autocar, whence many of the pictures were sourced: lots of Monkhouse and Mercedes Benz press pictures too!

Don't be put off by the somewhat patronising title - it's a very similar tome to the International Motor Racing Book series from the late 60s/early 70s, which I'm sure many others here devoured. Written in a chatty style by such luminaries as Sammy Davis, Alan Hess, George Monkhouse, Bill Boddy and Bob Gerard (credited as Robert Gerard, not even as "FR"!) it's a marvellous period piece looking at racing, rallying, record breaking and hillclimbing around the world from a 1938 perspective. Articles include Alan Hess on motor race broadcasting, Sammy Davis on the Monte, George Monkhouse on Mercedes Benz pitwork and preparation and Gerard on both racing history and road racing - the latter including a vivid description of a lap of Donington.

Recommended to anyone with an interest in 30s motor sport - there's even some bike stuff! A real gem is a piece by Leslie Brooke on building and racing the Brooke Special ....

Edited by Vitesse2, 10 May 2009 - 23:00.

#4357 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 48 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:02

Hi!

I've a question about the "Ferrari F1 Annual". Between 1989 and 1998 every year a single book about the F1 season was published. But, what's with pre 1989 and post 1998?

Looks like for pre 1989 this book was released: "Ferrari Formula 1 Catalogue 1948-1988". Right?

And what happened with 1999 and further? Is there any similar release? The publishers homepage http://www.carbooksautomobilia.it/ seems to be down...

Posted Image

Thanks!

:wave:

As you know, this was book published annually by Italian publisher Automobilia. 1989 was the first edition and 1998 the last. I understand 1994 was a limited edition that is very hard to get hold of. Automobila, who also published Ferrarissima and a number of other Ferrari titles, went bust a year or two back which is why their website is defunct.

Jonathan

#4358 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 18:11

Looks like Michael Oliver (a TNF poster) is publishing another book called:
Tales from the Toolbox: A collection of behind the scenes tales from Grand Prix
mechanics.
Publication date Sept 2009
Price 11 pounds

Can't wait for this one. Wonder how many stories he couldn't print?

Michael

#4359 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 19:26

Looks like Michael Oliver (a TNF poster) is publishing another book called:
Tales from the Toolbox: A collection of behind the scenes tales from Grand Prix
mechanics.
Publication date Sept 2009
Price 11 pounds

Can't wait for this one. Wonder how many stories he couldn't print?

Michael

That one sounds like it should be worth the wait, and it will be great to hear some stories from mechanics' perspective.

Thanks for the details. :)

Advertisement

#4360 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:00

New book on US Motorcycle Racing:

The Complete Grand National Championship
Vol. 1 1954-1969
Gregory R. Pearson

The Complete Grand National Championship is the groundbreaking new book that for the first time examines in depth the history of America's greatest motorcycling era. The huge 637 page book is packed with facts, results, trivia and 150+ photographs. This "Golden Era" saw the best in racing compete in one series starting in 1954. They raced on road courses, dirt ovals and TT tracks for the coveted Grand National title. For the first time, every race and championship is covered in detail along with previews and wrap-ups of each year. The riders, machines and tracks come to life as never before through narrative and many never before published photographs. This detailed account by historian and lifelong motorcycle enthusiast Greg Pearson, fills in the gaps and tells the whole story for the first time. You will not find a more complete rundown about Grand National racing anywhere!

PO Box 193 Culloden, WV 25510
$39.95 + $4 Media Mail

Link (it's near the bottom of the page)

#4361 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 14:40

Just got - All But My Life, Stirling Moss Face to Face with Ken Purdy. It's the 3rd print '64 edition. It has some water damage but it's in great shape otherwise with the jacket still intact. 15 bucks from Wonderbooks.

#4362 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,146 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 16:52

A friend just gave me the 30th Anniversary Autocourse 1981-82. He found it at a local garage sale for a dollar and figured that I'd give it a good home. I keep chipping away at these. I have the complete set of Automobile Year; I'd be glad to say the same about Autocourse sometime in my life.

Brian

#4363 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,410 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 20:27

A friend just gave me the 30th Anniversary Autocourse 1981-82. He found it at a local garage sale for a dollar and figured that I'd give it a good home. I keep chipping away at these. I have the complete set of Automobile Year; I'd be glad to say the same about Autocourse sometime in my life.

Brian

Sounds like one dickens of a deal! Best I have done was picking up Autocourse 1961 for $10 many years ago. My wife has bought me five Automobile Years from the 1955-1963 era as gifts. She has never told me how much, but I suspect she paid well into three figures for a couple of them. I have concentrated on Autocourse rather than Automobile Year. Probably a by product of discovering Autocourse in 1967 and finding that it had more racing in it than AY. Back then I did not care much for articles on the new Plymouth or Goliath. Come to think of it, I still don't.

I have Autocourse 1961, 1967, 1969-present, and Automobile Year 1955-60, 1962-66, and 1968. The old ones seem somewhat easier to find than Autocourse. When the opportunity has arisen, I have had the books autographed by the World Champion of that year. Easier said than done. Only have 10 so far. When will Piquet, Prost, Schumacher, come to Road America so I can knock out a bunch?

I reached the point a number of years ago when I stopped reading Autocourse cover to cover; just skimmed the most interesting parts, and put the book on the shelf for reference. But with a combined streak of over 50 years, I dare not stop buying them now! Brian, I would suspect that you are probably in the same boat!

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 21 May 2009 - 20:31.

#4364 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:14

I reached the point a number of years ago when I stopped reading Autocourse cover to cover; just skimmed the most interesting parts, and put the book on the shelf for reference. But with a combined streak of over 50 years, I dare not stop buying them now! Brian, I would suspect that you are probably in the same boat!

Tom

My good friend, Lee Wilson, (my Dad's age) had the full set of Automobile Year and I was awestruck as an 12 year old kid. I'd never seen anything like them. He would let me borrow a couple of volumes at a time and I would read the racing sections over and over. Lee gave me #19 1971-72 for my 13th birthday and the quest to get the first eighteen of the set began. Some much easier finds than the others. I wish I'd done the same for Autocourse, but Lee's collection had a big influence on me. The pure fun of finding the older issues and the cutting of lawns and shoveling snow to pay for them are memories of gold. I don't care nearly as much for the more recent issues, but as you related Tom, how can one stop at this point in time?

Brian

Edited by B Squared, 22 May 2009 - 12:16.

#4365 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 13:16

I discovered AUTOCOURSE much, much later, so I never had any trouble stopping after the 1999/2000 edition - what's the point in putting them on the shelf without reading? ;)

#4366 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,410 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 15:53

I said that I skimmed over them, not that I did not read them at all. I simply do not read over every race report and every support series report as I did years ago. The 'net plus weekly publications have already told the whole story of the season. I read the articles at the front of the book because in many cases they offer insight with the benefit of time that was not available earlier. But as far as the race reports, well, I glance through them and check out the sidebars, but really am not that terribly interested in a corner by corner recap months after the fact. But the books are valuable through the years as reference pieces. Just last night I had to look up some info from Phoenix, 1991, and went right to that year's Autocourse where I found what I was seeking. But having Autocourse and/or AY for every year since 1955 is a matter of a little pride to me, a ready source of reference, and who knows, maybe worth a few bucks sometime in the future.
Tom

#4367 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 16:45

But having Autocourse and/or AY for every year since 1955 is a matter of a little pride to me, a ready source of reference, and who knows, maybe worth a few bucks sometime in the future.
Tom

Indeed - I payed $60.00 each for Automobile Year #'s 1 & 2 (both in English) that are perfect, when I was 14 years old (1972). I borrowed the money from my brother who was working in a wood pattern shop in the evenings after school, prior to starting his formal pattern making apprenticeship. I'm guessing that I may be able to get my money back on both.

Brian

#4368 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 17:28

Indeed - I payed $60.00 each for Automobile Year #'s 1 & 2 (both in English) that are perfect, when I was 14 years old (1972). I borrowed the money from my brother who was working in a wood pattern shop in the evenings after school, prior to starting his formal pattern making apprenticeship. I'm guessing that I may be able to get my money back on both.

Brian

im not sure 60.00 $ in 1972 ouch it was very overpriced, its would take a minimum of 500.00 $ of 2009 to be even

#4369 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 18:15

In Hemmings Motor News, at least 5 years ago, I saw the complete set for $16,000 - yes, that is correct. Whether they reached that, I don't know and I really don't care. They only printed 200 or 300 English Edition #2's and were unavailable as soon as 1956 - since I'd been looking for each volume and hadn't seen either up until that point in time - I was more than happy to pay the $120.00. As long as I was happy, it makes little difference to me. Your concern is appreciated.

Brian

#4370 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,410 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 20:42

In Hemmings Motor News, at least 5 years ago, I saw the complete set for $16,000 - yes, that is correct. Whether they reached that, I don't know and I really don't care. They only printed 200 or 300 English Edition #2's and were unavailable as soon as 1956 - since I'd been looking for each volume and hadn't seen either up until that point in time - I was more than happy to pay the $120.00. As long as I was happy, it makes little difference to me. Your concern is appreciated.

Brian

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Brian. A couple years ago my wife gave me AY #2 as a present and I am sure that she paid a couple hundred for it. It is an English language version that she purchased from somebody in Europe. I am happy, she is happy, and my collection continues to grow. What is not to like?

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 22 May 2009 - 20:43.

#4371 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 00:06

Brian

Current estimated top-dollar collectors' values are:
Annual Automobile Revue No. 01 1953-1954 (Automobile Year #1): $600
Annual Automobile Revue No. 02 1954-1955 (Automobile Year #2): $1000 (For either hard or soft cover editions)

#4372 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 00:12

Two new books available from Coastal 181:
Text copied from Coastal 181. The McKee book was previously announced by ensign14 in this thread on Jan 23, 2009.

The Man Who Would Not Die:
The Remarkable Story of
“Lucky” Herschel McKee

by Stephen Olvey

Herschel McKee’s remarkable life story reads like that of a comic-book hero. A daredevil, a leader of men and, above all, a survivor, McKee fought in both World Wars, suffering numerous skirmishes with death. His colorful life included spells as a Foreign Legion soldier, fighter-pilot ace with the elite Lafayette Flying Corps, prisoner-of-war escapee, race car driver, WWII bomber-wing commander and test pilot.

His amazing resilience led to him being nicknamed ‘The Man Who Would Not Die’ while he was still alive. Written in a lively, engaging style, here is the true story of an extraordinary man.

Hard cover, 272 pages., $37.95

-------------------------------------
Big Car Thunder - More Sprint Cars
on America’s Fair Circuits, Vol. ll

By Bob Mays

If you are a person who can still remember the way a 270 Offy would shake the grandstand on a qualifying run; if you can remember the glitz and glamour of the state fair when the big cars were making their annual run; if you can remember the smell of cotton candy and methanol mixed together – then you need Big Car Thunder Volume II!

The long-awaited sequel to Big Car Thunder Volume I is out, with even more sprint cars from America’s Fair circuits. All the great stars including: Bobby Adamson, Chuck Amati, Buzz Barton, Tom Bigelow, Jerry Blundy, Shane Carson, Rick Ferkel, Ray Lee Goodwin, Tim Green, Larry Kirkpatrick, Ed Leavitt, Harold Leep, Jan Opperman, Jerry Richert, Joe Saldana, Randy Smith, Bill Utz, Earl Wagner, Gordon Woolley and many, many more are here.

If you are into the old touring clubs such as the Mississippi Valley Championship Circuit; International Motor Contest Association and the National Speedways Contest Association, you will love this book. Plus, as an added bonus, the IMCA Compact Sprint circuit is covered from beginning to end!

Over 330 pages, 640 photos, deluxe hardcover binding and two sections of color photographs make Big Car Thunder Volume II a must have!

$59.95

#4373 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 00:39

More interesting books...
Links go directly to product pages.

From The Pitstop Bookshop, Perth:

Racing Corvettes - The Early Years
Author: Evans, Art
Published: 2009
Binding: Softcover
No. Pages: 76
Dimensions: 25 x 21
A$39.95
A scrapbook assembled by Art Evans, with remembrances by John Fitch and friends. Not intended to be a comprehensive treatment of the subject it is instead mostly about John Fitch and 3 events: 1956 Sebring, 1957 Sebring and 1960 Le Mans.

Much of the text is comprised of remembrances written by John Fitch and others who were there.

----------------------------------
From Libreria dell'Automobile:

ROSEMEYER: L’ASSO INVINCIBILE
Autore: Cesare De Agostini

Editore: Giorgio Nada Editore

Bernd Rosemeyer (1909-1938) è con certezza uno dei più grandi piloti apparsi nel mondo dei Gran Premi. In due anni e mezzo di attività, dal maggio 1935 all’ottobre 1937, disputò trentatré gare, vincendone dieci e classificandosi secondo sei volte. Guidò sempre la poderosa quanto difficile Auto Union a motore posteriore ideata da Ferdinand Porsche, che gli permise, durante un tentativo di record, di superare i 400 chilometri all’ora su una strada normalmente adibita al traffico. Tazio Nuvolari lo considerava l’"avversario più temibile". Morì nel 1938 mentre tentava di battere il record sul chilometro lanciato che la Mercedes, guidata dal suo grande avversario Rudolf Caracciola, aveva appena stabilito. Cesare De Agostini firma la prima biografia in lingua italiana di questo asso leggendario, di cui offre uno splendido ritratto a tutto tondo, mettendone in luce la personalità solare, gli atteggiamenti scanzonati e la irresistibile capacità di battersi alla massima velocità possibile su ogni circuito, in ogni condizione atmosferica, sempre.Undicesimo titolo della collana "Vite da corsa", il volume fa rivivere grazie a una serie di immagini d’eccezione uno dei campioni più straordinari di ogni tempo, ancor oggi amato da una quantità incredibile di appassionati.

Anno di pubblicazione: 2009
Testo in: Italiano
Tipo di copertina: Rilegato
Pagine: 216
Formato: cm. 26x26
Foto COL: 50
Foto B/N: 190
Prezzo: € 50,00

------------------------------------------
Also from Libreria dell'Automobile:

MORANDI: IL PRIMO DELLA MILLE MIGLIA
Autori: Fabrizio Rossi
Cesare De Agostini

Editore: Fondazione Negri

Il libro presenta una prima parte che inquadra il periodo agonistico, le gare ed i risultati sportivi principali raggiunti negli anni in cui Giuseppe Morandi iniziava il suo rapporto con la fabbrica di automobili OM. Questo legame che lo vedrà per tutta la vita lavorativa e sportiva con la casa bresciana, lo vedrà impegnato non solo nella prima Mille Miglia, vinta a fianco di Minoia, ma in moltissime altre competizioni che porterà a termine vittoriosamente. Il suo stile e la sua velocità faranno si che Enzo Ferrari ed Emilio Materassi si siano impegnati con insistenza nel volergli offrire un contratto, ma lui resterà fedele dipendente OM pur avendo dimostrato il talento per stare davanti ai migliori piloti di quel tempo. Nel libro sono quindi rappresentate quasi tutte le corse più importanti alle quali la OM ha partecipato.

Anno di pubblicazione: 2009
Testo in: Italiano
Tipo di copertina: Rilegato
Pagine: 120
Formato: cm. 25x29
Foto COL: 9
Foto B/N: 111
Prezzo: € 38,00

#4374 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,297 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 22:42

Why is this thread a STICKY?

#4375 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:54

Popular demand.

#4376 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,410 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 14:29

Please, let's not go through this again!

#4377 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:32

Please, let's not go through this again!

ever

#4378 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 993 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 22:36

Friends:

Those of you interested in SCCA history might enjoy this book:

Posted Image

The Gentleman's Club is by Pete Hylton, SCCA's historian. It describes the inside history of the club, from its 1940s formation onward, and I was surprised how frank it was about all the "sagas" of SCCA. These include the 1950s fight against paid drivers, the relationship with USAC, and the start of IMSA, with plenty of discussions of the personalities and issues involved. It includes several interviews with surviving leaders. It's not lavish, it's softbound and not well designed, and it could stand better editing, but it's one of those books that stands out despite these snags, and it's the only book on this topic. Cost is $25, from Hylton at http://motorsportsra...bthebook/?cat=8. He also wrote Ghost Tracks, about abandoned U.S. road racing courses. I just noticed a 50% discount at that site.

Frank

#4379 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:26

Friends:

Those of you interested in SCCA history might enjoy this book:

Posted Image

The Gentleman's Club is by Pete Hylton, SCCA's historian. It describes the inside history of the club, from its 1940s formation onward, and I was surprised how frank it was about all the "sagas" of SCCA. These include the 1950s fight against paid drivers, the relationship with USAC, and the start of IMSA, with plenty of discussions of the personalities and issues involved. It includes several interviews with surviving leaders. It's not lavish, it's softbound and not well designed, and it could stand better editing, but it's one of those books that stands out despite these snags, and it's the only book on this topic. Cost is $25, from Hylton at http://motorsportsra...bthebook/?cat=8. He also wrote Ghost Tracks, about abandoned U.S. road racing courses. I just noticed a 50% discount at that site.

Frank

That photo is from an issue of Sports Car, by the way, taken at one of the early annual meetings. I remember showing the picture to Cameron Argetsinger, he is the gentleman sitting in the car, and listening to a nice chat about the people in the photo and some of the, ah, aspects of the SCCA in its early days. He then spoke about the time before he left the SCCA and returned to his law practice in Montour Falls.

Interesting to see how the Hylton version of the SCCA differs from what I heard from Cameron Argetsinger, John Bishop, and some of the others I have heard discuss the Club in his formative days and the various trials and tribulations as it moved through the years. Indeed, I wonder how much Hylton adds to what Mike Argetsinger has written in his Hansgen book?

Edited by HDonaldCapps, 26 May 2009 - 07:29.

Advertisement

#4380 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 14:30

For those of you who like 1960s motor sport photography, you may wish to consider this forthcoming title (due out, according to Amazon, in October) featuring the photography of the late Michael Cooper, with words by TNFer Paul Parker. I don't think it will set you back the £250 of Michael Cooper's previous Palawan tome, "1960s Motor Racing"

http://www.amazon.co...8...155&s=books

#4381 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 993 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 15:46

That photo is from an issue of Sports Car, by the way, taken at one of the early annual meetings. I remember showing the picture to Cameron Argetsinger, he is the gentleman sitting in the car...

Don:

Yes, and the guy on the left is Smith Hempstone "Hemp" Oliver. I was fortunate enough to get to know him before he passed away about 10 years ago. In the 1930s he roamed New York with a camera, shooting photos of interesting cars. He hung around at Zumbach's, photographed the Vanderbilt Cup races (hence the photo book with Brock Yates), edited Sports Car, and announced at the early Watkins Glen races. He became the transportation curator at the Smithsonian and went to Le Mans with the Cunningham team in 1950. He was very sharp, even in old age, and could talk your ear off. His photo collection was amazing, and I wonder what happened to it after his wife, Barbara, died a few years ago.

Others in the photo, according to the cover blurb, are Reginald Smith, Alec Ulmann, Russ Sceli, Nils Mickelson, George Weaver, Miles Collier, and Bill Milliken.

Frank

#4382 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 17:27

That photo is from an issue of Sports Car, by the way, taken at one of the early annual meetings. I remember showing the picture to Cameron Argetsinger, he is the gentleman sitting in the car, and listening to a nice chat about the people in the photo and some of the, ah, aspects of the SCCA in its early days. He then spoke about the time before he left the SCCA and returned to his law practice in Montour Falls.

Interesting to see how the Hylton version of the SCCA differs from what I heard from Cameron Argetsinger, John Bishop, and some of the others I have heard discuss the Club in his formative days and the various trials and tribulations as it moved through the years. Indeed, I wonder how much Hylton adds to what Mike Argetsinger has written in his Hansgen book?

you could add the B.S Levy saga to the list of books on the subject , quite abrasive about the "gentleman amateur" period of the early scca , even if the acronym is never really used

#4383 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 18:55

Veloce are offering a 40% reduction on all on-line orders for current titles until June 21st.
Quote code DADS09

#4384 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 23:57

In looking at the Veloce site to see what 40% off would get me I noticed that
there is a new book coming out on John Chatham. As a Big Healey enthusiast
I'm excited!

Details are:

John Chatham - 'Mr Big Healey' - The official Biography
in stock Feb 2010
by Norman Burr
Hardback 160 pages 150 pictures
Cost 25 pounds.

Michael

#4385 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:10

Unfortunately you will have to contain your excitement until next February, Michael.

#4386 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,680 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:24

Thank you for the plug Alan, but hopefully the book will be out by July for the Festival of Speed.

It is a slightly bigger format than the In Camera series and has rather more and varied (both by chronology and subject) pics, circa 390 in colour and black and white. For the record the title is RACES, FACES, PLACES.

#4387 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 14:31

Thank you for the plug Alan, but hopefully the book will be out by July for the Festival of Speed.

It is a slightly bigger format than the In Camera series and has rather more and varied (both by chronology and subject) pics, circa 390 in colour and black and white. For the record the title is RACES, FACES, PLACES.

Paul is another of those I am trying to support with my book purchases and do so happily.

#4388 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,680 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:35

Thanks to you too Don, the next bottle of Louis Roederer is on me!

#4389 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,991 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 22:35

I've been given an ex-library copy of Colin Chapman - Wayward Genius . I already have the book, so if anybody would like it please PM me or e-mail me. Because of postal costs I have to say UK only.

Edited by D-Type, 03 June 2009 - 08:00.

#4390 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,146 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 13:48

Stopped into the local used book store yesterday and picked up three new titles for the library. Summer of Triumph: The Life of Jimmy Caruthers by Hal Higdon - Road Racing in America by Lyle Kenyon Engel - Leisureguides International Motor Racing by Doug Nye. Fifteen dollars for the lot. Always fun to add to the collection and be frugal about it.

Brian

#4391 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:36

Carnets de Reve, Carnets d'Atelier ou la Realization d'Une Maserati Birdcage -- Anything on this? Other than 90 pages and 155 pictues? Somehow, I don't recall seeing anything about it (although I will invoke the senility defense if I just missed it being soken about recently).

#4392 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 15:22

Because of postal costs I have to say UK only.

:mad:

#4393 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 00:46

New biography of Caracciola:

Rudolf "Caratsch" Caracciola - Außergewöhnlicher Rennfahrer und eiskalter Taktiker
Author: Günther Molter
Motorbuch Verlag, 2009, 240 pages, Color: 23 B&W: 244, Hardbound
€ 39.90

Review Es gab eine ganze Reihe von Mercedes-Fahrern, die zur absoluten Weltspitze gehörten. Einer von ihnen, und der beste, war Rudolf Caracciola (1901-1959). Mit dieser Biografie zeichnet Günther Molter den Lebensweg dieses außergewöhnlichen Mannes und begnadeten Rennfahrers nach. Textdokumente und Bildmaterial aus dem Privatarchiv des Autors vermitteln eine einzigartige Würdigung dieser Rennsportlegende. So entstand ein hochwertiger Bildband mit einer Geschichte, erzählt wie ein Roman und spannend wie ein Krimi.

Link

#4394 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 00:58

New (to me) biography of Franco Mazotti:

Franco Mazzotti - Vent'anni di ardimento fra Mille Miglia e aeroplani
by Franco Robecchi
2005, 207 pages, hardbound, in Italian, € 47.50

Link

#4395 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:06

Yet another "new" book, this time on the Renault turbine record car.

L’EPOPEE DE L’ETOILE FILANTE

Autore: Jean-Michel Blin
Editore: Pixel Press Studio

L’avventura sul Lago Salato di Bonneville della macchina a turbina Etoile Filante della Renault e dei 4 record del mondo immediatamente bruciati quel 4 settembre 1956 da Jeran Hebert. In questo volume illustratissimo la cronistoria di quel successo e un profilo dettagliato del bolide.

Anno di pubblicazione: 2006
Testo in: Francese
Tipo di copertina: Brossura
Foto B/N: 110
Foto: 30

Prezzo: € 27,00

Link

#4396 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:12

A book in French on the revival of Bentley in racing:

Bentley - La légende ressucitée
By Dominique Franque de Luxembourg

Le prestige de la marque Bentley est incontestablement attaché aux victoires qu'elle a remportées aux 24 heures du Mans entre 1924 et 1930.
Dans sa stratégie pour prendre le contôle de Bentley, le président de Volkswagen, Ferdinand Piech ne peut imaginer cette reprise sans un retour victorieux de la marque anglaise aux 24 heures du Mans.
A sa demande, le "Racing Team Norfolk" produit une nouvelle voiture qu'elle engage aux 24 heures du mans 2001.
En 2003, soixante dix neuf ans après sa première victoire, la marque Bentley conquiert sa sixième victoire dans l'épreuve mythique qui lui avait permis de commencer à forger sa réputation.

Données techniques: format 210x150.
Couverture souple, brochée. 120 pages
Editions du Palmier
ISBN-13: 978-2-914920-92-6. Prix public: 25 €

Link

#4397 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,727 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:08

New biography of Caracciola:

Rudolf "Caratsch" Caracciola - Außergewöhnlicher Rennfahrer und eiskalter Taktiker
Author: Günther Molter
Motorbuch Verlag, 2009, 240 pages, Color: 23 B&W: 244, Hardbound
€ 39.90

Review Es gab eine ganze Reihe von Mercedes-Fahrern, die zur absoluten Weltspitze gehörten. Einer von ihnen, und der beste, war Rudolf Caracciola (1901-1959). Mit dieser Biografie zeichnet Günther Molter den Lebensweg dieses außergewöhnlichen Mannes und begnadeten Rennfahrers nach. Textdokumente und Bildmaterial aus dem Privatarchiv des Autors vermitteln eine einzigartige Würdigung dieser Rennsportlegende. So entstand ein hochwertiger Bildband mit einer Geschichte, erzählt wie ein Roman und spannend wie ein Krimi.

Link

Is this just a rehash of Molter's 1995 book "Titan am Volant", or does it have anything new, I wonder?

#4398 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 20:04

Amazingly enough, a motorsports book was featured in the United Airlines in-flight magazine: Go Like Hell by A.J. Baime. I actually bought it when I arrived here (Orlando), for no other reason than it looked like something that might be a change of pace to read between meetings.

#4399 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 22:11

Amazingly enough, a motorsports book was featured in the United Airlines in-flight magazine: Go Like Hell by A.J. Baime. I actually bought it when I arrived here (Orlando), for no other reason than it looked like something that might be a change of pace to read between meetings.

Coincidentally I was reading Delta's in-flight on the way to Rome last month and discovered PJ O'Rourke's Driving Like Crazy which was excerpted. I bought it as soon as we got back. It's mostly a collection of old columns, articles and essays (some of which are updated or "explained") with some brand new ones mixed in. I recommend it if you like PJ's point of view.

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 08 June 2009 - 22:13.

Advertisement

#4400 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 23:56

If you're in the neighborhood of the Petersen Automotive Museum, P.J. O'Rourke will be there on 13 June, Saturday.
http://www.petersen....amp;EventID=109