Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7924 replies to this topic

#4401 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:40

Amazingly enough, a motorsports book was featured in the United Airlines in-flight magazine: Go Like Hell by A.J. Baime. I actually bought it when I arrived here (Orlando), for no other reason than it looked like something that might be a change of pace to read between meetings.

Anything new in this volume to add to the works of Leo Levine, John Allen, and Anthony Pritchard?

Advertisement

#4402 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,100 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:44

I am of a mind to read a biography on Alain Prost.

A quick search in this thread doesn't come up with a strong recommendation. I notice that bookfinder.com shows a number of possible candidates including offerings from Pierre Menard, Christopher Hilton, Alan Henry and Nigel Roebuck.

Any recommendations, anyone, from this list or beyond it?

Merci in advance.

#4403 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 15:41

I am of a mind to read a biography on Alain Prost.

A quick search in this thread doesn't come up with a strong recommendation. I notice that bookfinder.com shows a number of possible candidates including offerings from Pierre Menard, Christopher Hilton, Alan Henry and Nigel Roebuck.

Any recommendations, anyone, from this list or beyond it?

Merci in advance.

I have the Christopher Hilton book, which covers his career in some depth, including his karting and pre-F1 days generally. However, it probably would not be regarded as a definitive biography.

#4404 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,100 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:44

I have the Christopher Hilton book, which covers his career in some depth, including his karting and pre-F1 days generally. However, it probably would not be regarded as a definitive biography.

Thank you, COUGAR508.

#4405 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:44

There is another book, which is a semi-autobiography, called "Life in the Fast Lane", written with Jean-Louis Moncet. It was published around 1990, I think. It has the advantage of the driver's own input, and some great photographs, presumably from the Prost family.

#4406 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 23:15

Amazingly enough, a motorsports book was featured in the United Airlines in-flight magazine: Go Like Hell by A.J. Baime. I actually bought it when I arrived here (Orlando), for no other reason than it looked like something that might be a change of pace to read between meetings.

I ordered it today after hearing the author interviewed during Speed's coverage of Le Mans.

Jack.

#4407 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 22:46

Please forgive my extreme ignorance but, having read the first few pages of this thread (and also the last few), why has it been made a "sticky"? No doubt it may have been apposite at the time but how many of the 4400+ contributions refer to the Pete Fenelon memorial book?

#4408 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,901 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 22:54

No doubt it may have been apposite at the time but how many of the 4400+ contributions refer to the Pete Fenelon memorial book?

Oh dear. Have you looked at the Pete Fenelon thread? Do a search. Then you will understand.

#4409 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:16

Oh dear. Have you looked at the Pete Fenelon thread? Do a search. Then you will understand.

Sorry to be such a dim-wit but perhaps a few words of explanation at the top of the thread by way of an explanation might be helpful? Now I do understand and apologise for my ignorance.

#4410 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:26

Perhaps I could mention one of the most interesting books written on Lotus? "Colin Chapman's Lotus" by Robin Read, this had been out of print for years but occasionally pitches up on e-bay; it gives a very interesting perspective on how things were done in the "Elite period" and is a balance between technical information and "life at Lotus" in general. Read was Sales Manager at Lotus from 1959.

#4411 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,901 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 17:09

Perhaps I could mention one of the most interesting books written on Lotus? "Colin Chapman's Lotus" by Robin Read, this had been out of print for years but occasionally pitches up on e-bay; it gives a very interesting perspective on how things were done in the "Elite period" and is a balance between technical information and "life at Lotus" in general. Read was Sales Manager at Lotus from 1959.

Yes, I agree, great book, but very hard to find at a reasonable price. I have met Robin a couple of times: he loves to chat Lotus. I'm not sure if he ever wrote another book? He did tell me that a reperint was likely, but it never appeared to my knowledge.

The late Bill Morris, of ERA and Kieft fame, was Robin Read's son in law, by the way.

#4412 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 20:17

Yes, I agree, great book, but very hard to find at a reasonable price. I have met Robin a couple of times: he loves to chat Lotus. I'm not sure if he ever wrote another book? He did tell me that a reperint was likely, but it never appeared to my knowledge.

The late Bill Morris, of ERA and Kieft fame, was Robin Read's son in law, by the way.

David,
I was looking for a copy for ages, all going for silly prices; then I managed to buy three within a couple of months, all under 25 quid!
I live in hope of finding "The Certain Sound" and "Lucky All My Life" in an Oxfam sale. :)

Did Bill Morris also run the Cognac Special? I have some good photos of that but I may be confusing the driver, I usually do! I was not aware of the connection with Robin.

#4413 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 23:26

I live in hope of finding "The Certain Sound" and "Lucky All My Life" in an Oxfam sale.

Pete:

If you can't find The Certain Sound, you would enjoy Racing in the Rain, by John Horsman, which gives another excellent perspective on the Wyer story. Published by David Bull and available from your favorite Porsche bookseller.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 16 June 2009 - 23:27.

#4414 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:47

I was looking for a copy for ages, all going for silly prices; then I managed to buy three within a couple of months, all under 25 quid!

Why would anyone want to buy three copies of the same book...?

I agree that Robin Read's book on Lotus is excellent, and in a similar insider vein, would also strongly recommend Colin Chapman Lotus Engineering by Hugh Haskell, and Team Lotus - The Indianapolis Years by Andrew Ferguson. I think that one has recently been re-printed, but I've seen quite astonishing prices being asked for the Haskell book, which seems to be rather scarce.

#4415 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:21

Why would anyone want to buy three copies of the same book...?

I agree that Robin Read's book on Lotus is excellent, and in a similar insider vein, would also strongly recommend Colin Chapman Lotus Engineering by Hugh Haskell, and Team Lotus - The Indianapolis Years by Andrew Ferguson. I think that one has recently been re-printed, but I've seen quite astonishing prices being asked for the Haskell book, which seems to be rather scarce.

I bought the "spare copies" for friends. :)

Your two suggestions are on my wanted list but I have a shelf already groaning with books not yet read.

#4416 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:33

...but I have a shelf already groaning with books not yet read.

Relieved to hear that I'm not the only one with this affliction, and that's only the non-fiction stuff.

#4417 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:12

...Team Lotus - The Indianapolis Years by Andrew Ferguson.

An excellent book, IMO :up:

#4418 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 17:39

Pete:

If you can't find The Certain Sound, you would enjoy Racing in the Rain, by John Horsman, which gives another excellent perspective on the Wyer story. Published by David Bull and available from your favorite Porsche bookseller.

Frank

Frank,
I have it and it is, as you say, excellent. He tells a different story from that told by a certain Texan, at times!

#4419 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 00:20

Has anyone heard any new information about when "Inside Track" will be published? I've inquired of both DCN (very busy with FoS, no doubt) and the official Phil Hill web site but have received no responses.

Thank you.

Jack.

Advertisement

#4420 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 00:22

Frank,
I have it and it is, as you say, excellent. He tells a different story from that told by a certain Texan, at times!

Billy Sol Shelby?

Jack.

#4421 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 18:25

New books spotted on the web site of Libreria dell'Automobile:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link

ALFA ROMEO GTA. “LEGGERA” e VINCENTE
Autore: Maurizio Tabucchi
Editore: Giorgio Nada Editore

Nata a metà degli anni Sessanta, l’Alfa Romeo Giulia GT raccolse con successo l’importante eredità della Giulietta Sprint. Fin dalla sua presentazione, i vertici della Casa di Arese pensarono anche ad una versione adatta per le corse, che potesse rinverdire i gloriosi fasti del passato.Nacque così la GTA (dove A stava per "Alleggerita"), un’automobile che si trasformò subito nella vettura da battere, capace di dettare legge in tutti i circuiti del mondo e di vincere, in veste ufficiale o privata, tutto quanto c’era da vincere sino alla metà degli anni Settanta.Quell’affascinante e irripetibile storia è raccontata da Maurizio Tabucchi, fra i massimi conoscitori delle vicende del Biscione che, attraverso un testo puntuale e rigoroso, ricostruisce la storia tecnica e sportiva di quell’indimenticabile Alfa Romeo. A corredo del volume sono preziose e inedite immagini d’archivio.

Anno di pubblicazione: 2009
Testo in: Italiano
Tipo di copertina: Rilegato
Pagine: 240
Formato: 24X27
Foto COL: 155
Foto B/N: 195
Prezzo: € 48,00

------------------------------------------------------
Link

TAZIO NUVOLARI: UNA VITA SENZA FRENI
Autore: Massimo Russo
Editore: Aliberti Editore

Per la prima volta raccontata in prima persona, in un romanzo, la storia del pilota che Ferrari definì «l’uomo più veloce del mondo».

Anno di pubblicazione: 2009
Testo in: Italiano
Tipo di copertina: Brossura
Pagine: 128
Formato: cm. 14x21
Prezzo: € 15,00

#4422 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 00:48

Does anyone have an email address for Ben Horton at Horton Books? The one I have is no longer valid. Is Ben registered here?

Many thanks.

Jack.

#4423 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 638 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:04

Does anyone have an email address for Ben Horton at Horton Books? The one I have is no longer valid. Is Ben registered here?

Many thanks.

Jack.

its in the last issue of OCTANE magazine will look it up .

#4424 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,089 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:01

Many thanks.

Jack.

Isn't it: B.L.H@talk21.com

I found a card I picked up at Retromobile last february. Will look it up.

http://www.hortonsbo...co.uk/index.php

#4425 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 18:40

Time again for the Automotive Literature Faire --
The Society of Automotive Historians (SoCal Chapter) will present the 27th annual Literature Faire on Sunday, June 28 outside the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum (Fairplex Gate 1) 1101 West McKinley Ave., Pomona, California.

“Auto writers, historians and restorers will sell materials from their research libraries: out-of-print books, manuals, pins, badges, models, posters, programs, catalogs, photos.” No admission fee is charged for the Lit Faire (open 8am to 3pm) in the parking lot.

This is a great opportunity to look for out-of-print books in person, though I will bring a number of in-print titles, and I believe Willem Oosthoek will be selling his new Maserati book.

Mark

#4426 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 19:30

Mark:

Amen, brother. The SAH Pasadena swap meet is one of my favorites, and over the years I've found several unusual books there. Sorry I can't be there this year.

Frank (SAH)

#4427 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 20:57

Mark:

Amen, brother. The SAH Pasadena swap meet is one of my favorites, and over the years I've found several unusual books there. Sorry I can't be there this year.

Frank (SAH)

We'll miss you, Frank, and remember that the meet is now at the NHRA Museum in Pomona. I plan to be there trying to flog off some redundant items - stack of the old green Profile Publications, Daytona Cobra Coupes book, etc. etc. TNFers welcome to stop by for a cold drink at my table - it's usually a warm meet.

Woody

#4428 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:27

Time again for the Automotive Literature Faire --
The Society of Automotive Historians (SoCal Chapter) will present the 27th annual Literature Faire on Sunday, June 28 outside the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum (Fairplex Gate 1) 1101 West McKinley Ave., Pomona, California.

“Auto writers, historians and restorers will sell materials from their research libraries: out-of-print books, manuals, pins, badges, models, posters, programs, catalogs, photos.” No admission fee is charged for the Lit Faire (open 8am to 3pm) in the parking lot.

This is a great opportunity to look for out-of-print books in person, though I will bring a number of in-print titles, and I believe Willem Oosthoek will be selling his new Maserati book.

Mark

This is one of those get-togethers I plan on finally attending whenever I finally hang up working here in The Sandbox. As an SAH member this is also one motivation to attend someday, to meet some of the people in person I know from their works.

#4429 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,718 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:47

Mark: The following is from Willem Oosthoek

Mark,
"The new Birdcage Maserati book is being printed this week. The binding process will take another 10-14 days, then there is the shipping aspect. Unfortunately, the book will not make it in time for the Literature Faire."

#4430 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 20:08

I've just bought a very good book about Mini derivatives called Maximum Mini by Jeroen Booij, well worth the money, if you are a Mini fan.

#4431 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 15:03

New book just issued on this race at 50 Euros...with a discount to 37.50 Euros...I just ordered it...shipping to the US was about 15 Euros by air

La Pontedecimo-Giovi (1922-1977)
di Caffarena Nicolò - Spallarossa Giorgio - Bevegni Guido

Link:

http://translate.goo...US_enUS256US256

Edited by dretceterini, 01 July 2009 - 15:04.

#4432 ERault

ERault

• 331 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 16:58

New book just issued on this race at 50 Euros...with a discount to 37.50 Euros...I just ordered it...shipping to the US was about 15 Euros by air

La Pontedecimo-Giovi (1922-1977)
di Caffarena Nicolò - Spallarossa Giorgio - Bevegni Guido

Link:

http://translate.goo...US_enUS256US256

I have the book. Warmly recommended if you love italian cars. It offers photos of about everything italian ever driven in anger, from Fiat 500 to Abarth 2000 with Morettis, Wainers and the CDMP V8 thrown in for good mesure. It also features complete results.

#4433 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 20:45

I've been thinking of buying "Senna versus Prost" by Malcolm Folley. Has anyone read this book, and if so what did you think of it?

#4434 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:49

New book:
Lola – The Sports-Prototype & CanAm Cars

by John Starkey

First Published 2009,
by Gryfon Publishers

Over 600 pages, over 300 color and B&W photos.
Price US$99.99 + S&H

In stock July 5th, 2009 (shippers allowing!)
Link

#4435 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:57

New book:
Lola – The Sports-Prototype & CanAm Cars

by John Starkey

We'll all be hoping for the best, but that author doesn't have the greatest reputation.

#4436 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 13:14

We'll all be hoping for the best, but that author doesn't have the greatest reputation.

Let's hope for the best. This is what, the 18th or so book he has written on the subject, and one of these days it has to be right! My biggest gripe with his previous books is with the tracing of the individual chassis histories. I will readily concede that this is a very difficult field, but his first book on the Lola T-70 of some 12 or so years ago had so many errors as to make it absolutely useless. I trust that this will be much better, and much more accurate. I will look at a sample copy, likely at the Motorsports Collector stand, and if it does appear to be accurate, will likely buy it.

Tom

#4437 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 00:00

New books coming from Veloce:

Endurance Racing at Silverstone in the 70s & 80s
In stock April 2010
By Chas Parker
Paperback • 20.5x19cm • 96 pages • 100 photos
ISBN: 978-1-845842-77-2
£ 14.99 + Postage
Link
---------------------------------------
Alpine & Renault – The Sports Prototypes – Volume 1: 1963-1969
In stock February 2010
By Roy Smith
Hardback • 300 pictures • 208 pages • 250x250mm
ISBN: 978-1-84584-191-1
£ 34.99 + Postage
Link
------------------------------------------
Alpine & Renault – The Sports Prototypes – Volume 2: 1973-1978
In stock February 2010
By Roy Smith
Hardback • 300 pictures • 208 pages • 250x250mm
ISBN: 978-1-84584-226-0
£ 34.99 + Postage
Link
--------------------------------------------
Matra Sports Cars – MS620, 630, 650, 660 & 670 - 1966 to 1974
In stock February 2010
By Ed McDonough
Paperback • 21x19.5cm • £15.99 • 128 pages • 100 colour and b&w pictures
ISBN: 978-1-845842-61-1
£ 15.99 + Postage
Link
----------------------------------------------
The British at Indianapolis
In stock September 2010
By Ian Wagstaff
Hardback • 256 pages • 250x250mm • 300 pictures
ISBN: 978-1-845842-46-8
£ 49.99 + Postage
Link

#4438 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 22:02

New book from Coterie press:
1965- Jim Clark & Team Lotus - The UK Races
by William Taylor

The latest release from Coterie Publishing is an in-depth photo essay of the cars and drivers competing in a complete season of British motorsport. Detailing every major class and formula, saloons and single-seaters, it sees the legendary drivers such as Stewart, Hill, Gurney, Brabham, Surtees and McLaren competing hard against the formitable talent of Team Lotus and works supported drivers Jimmy Clark, Mike Spence, Jack Sears, Sir John Whitmore, Pedro Rodriguez, Brian Hart, Peter Revson and Ray Parsons.

Copiously illustrated with nearly 200 hitherto unseen photographs from the Peter Darley Archive, the book not only captures the unique atmosphere of the time but also lists the race results for every class in which Jim Clark competed and records the thrills and spills as they unfolded for Colin Chapman's record breaking Team Lotus in 1965.

With new contributions from Jack Sears, Sally Swart (Stokes), Bob Dance and David Hobbs, '1965: Jim Clark & Team Lotus - The UK Races' is not just an invaluable record of Jimmy's early life and times but also a uniquely colorful depiction of an important period in British motor racing history. One which like many other Coterie publications is sure to become a coveted collectors item.

Available late August.
208 pages / 197 B&W photos.

$49.95 plus shipping
Link

#4439 375 Plus

375 Plus

• 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:25

Hello, does anyone know if the late Tony Ambrose authored a book detailing his and Rauno Aaltonen's victorious 1964 Spa-Sofia-Liege? I recall reading, online, about such a book though I may have confused it with something that Tony Fall wrote. Any help would be welcomed, thank you...PS--someone does need to publish a history if the Marathon de la Route--in English! :mad:

Advertisement

#4440 proviz

proviz

• 222 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:34

Hello, does anyone know if the late Tony Ambrose authored a book detailing his and Rauno Aaltonen's victorious 1964 Spa-Sofia-Liege? I recall reading, online, about such a book though I may have confused it with something that Tony Fall wrote. Any help would be welcomed, thank you...PS--someone does need to publish a history if the Marathon de la Route--in English! :mad:

Although Tony Ambrose often recalled his Spa-Sofia-Liege rides with Rauno, I very much doubt he ever wrote a full book on the subject. He certainly never mentioned such a thing when I discussed the old times with him.
Agreed, someone really ought to tell the stories of Marathon de la Route in Engllish! I suppose you know about the book by Jean-Paul Delsaux. It is in French only and there's not all that much copy in it, but at least full entries from each year are included.

#4441 375 Plus

375 Plus

• 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 18:02

Thank you for shedding some light on the matter Proviz. I am familiar with the Delsaux text...my memory of an alleged Ambrose book...well, I certainly must have gotten myself confused(you know, I am the only one who can do that :p ) That being said, until a history of the Marathon (en Anglais) is published, I shall have to be content with reading Mr. Ambrose's brief account of the 1964 event in one of my slightly dusty copies of Motor Sport. Cheers--GH.

Edited by 375 Plus, 05 July 2009 - 18:04.

#4442 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 18:07

I have just received my copy opf "Crashed and Byrned" the story of Tommy Byrne........I am supposed to be gardening, but cannot put the book down, senior management just caught me in the shed reading it :lol: A great, great book :up:

#4443 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,183 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 21:42

Mike Wood (regular co-driver of Tony Fall later on) wrote a booklet (book is perhaps pushing the description a bit) about his finish on the 64 Liege with John Wadsworth entitled "A Mini and the Last Liege". As far as I know this is still available from Don Barrow (member here).
I am not aware of any Tony Ambrose book on the Liege

Edited by RS2000, 06 July 2009 - 20:29.

#4444 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 17:21

A new book, in Itlaian only is an ABSOLUTE MUST if you are into "etceterinis" and other Italian sports-racing cars. It is titled Pontedecimo-Giovi (a hillclimb) 1922-1967. It just came out, and is publishedby an obscure Italian publisher called Fratelli Frilli Editori. It is 430 pages (Italian language only), and has iterally hundreds of "etceterini" photos I've never seen before; not to mention the Ferrari, Maserati, Lancia and Alfa stuff. It is an absolute steal at 50 Euros plus shipping! The witers are Bevegni, Caffarena and Spallarosa.

Publisher information is:
Fratelli Frilli Editori
Via Priaruggia 31/1
Genova, Italy
Tele: 010.307.4224

Edited by dretceterini, 06 July 2009 - 17:22.

#4445 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,089 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:30

Did anyone already see Paul Parker's latest book: "Races Faces Places"? Comparable to the "In Camera" series?

#4446 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 16:03

No , what is that about............? Years ? OOPS! A search on the net did help! Sorry!

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 07 July 2009 - 16:05.

#4447 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,741 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 16:30

Bought it at Goodwood, it is an eclectic assortment of shots, all sorts of stuff. Yardley's launch party with hotpanted dollybirds, Peter Westbury yomping at the Ring in an F2 car, a shot at Le Mans of Dumay (or Langlois) spinning a 250LM as the backmarkers scoot by, Stirling Moss interviewing Hugh Dibley at Goodwood, Salvadori testing a T80, a whole chapter's worth of Frankheimer/Chitty Chitty Bang Bang background, various portraits both posed and candid...all very atmospheric and glossy. 340 pages or so.

#4448 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 19:33

I have The Racing Fiteen-Hundreds by David Venables. Any other books on the same theme ?

#4449 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 19:43

I have The Racing Fiteen-Hundreds by David Venables. Any other books on the same theme ?

not that i know of sadly, of course there some monography on the voiturettes of alfa and bugatti . but for ERA or amilcar . salmson .lombard and co theres no book or the existing books are quite expensive, but i guess it could be worst theres not one decent book on the post war formula two

#4450 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,128 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 19:51

New book from Coterie press:
1965- Jim Clark & Team Lotus - The UK Races
by William Taylor

The latest release from Coterie Publishing is an in-depth photo essay of the cars and drivers competing in a complete season of British motorsport. Detailing every major class and formula, saloons and single-seaters, it sees the legendary drivers such as Stewart, Hill, Gurney, Brabham, Surtees and McLaren competing hard against the formitable talent of Team Lotus and works supported drivers Jimmy Clark, Mike Spence, Jack Sears, Sir John Whitmore, Pedro Rodriguez, Brian Hart, Peter Revson and Ray Parsons.

Copiously illustrated with nearly 200 hitherto unseen photographs from the Peter Darley Archive, the book not only captures the unique atmosphere of the time but also lists the race results for every class in which Jim Clark competed and records the thrills and spills as they unfolded for Colin Chapman's record breaking Team Lotus in 1965.

With new contributions from Jack Sears, Sally Swart (Stokes), Bob Dance and David Hobbs, '1965: Jim Clark & Team Lotus - The UK Races' is not just an invaluable record of Jimmy's early life and times but also a uniquely colorful depiction of an important period in British motor racing history. One which like many other Coterie publications is sure to become a coveted collectors item.

Available late August.
208 pages / 197 B&W photos.

$49.95 plus shipping
Link

Looks interesting, but strangely doesn't appear on the Coterie press website. :confused: