Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7776 replies to this topic

#401 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:47

Frank is correct as to whom can post a "review" on Amazon. The review quoted is not the only one I have seen on Amazon with someone taking a butcher knife to a book in a review. However, I must admit that I can't recall seeing a review daring to criticize an author for what might be in some general fashion perhaps called "research." Or am I missing something there?

I still haven't seen the Dick Wallen book so I will have to wait before I can say anything about its merits. However, one reason for the reduced number of pages could be that all the pictures are supposedly in color.

Speaking of books, I am now down to lacking only two of the Clymer Indy Yearbooks, 1953 and 1954, and I think both of these should be on their way by now, the 1953 Yearbook being the more difficult of the two to locate. What is readily easy to notice is the uneven, often quirky nature of the books, particularly with Yearbooks from adjacent years being almost as different as night and day. While some are like having old companions finally show up at the door, some are new experiences and have provided some nice moments as I have become acquainted with them.

I am now on my second reading of volume 2 of BRM. With my ongoing research for the 1964 season really rolling along, having volume 3 on the shelf with be nice......

Oh, anyone read the new Alan Henry book on F1, The Power Brokers or something similar? Curious....

I still need to buy Mike Oliver's Lotus 72 book and the "other" Nuvolari book -- the latter got sold to perhaps the other Nivola fan in the neighborhood at the Borders I frequent while I was in Oklahoma. Another copy is supposedly on its way this week.

Advertisement

#402 UAtkins

UAtkins

• 222 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:46

Originally posted by ensign14
Here. Apparently the dastardly Eoin dared to quote from correspondence and magazines rather than make it all up.

I have just read the entire book in one day, and found it to be an interesting read. I was pleased to find mention of one of my Dad's Coopers and a bit more information on where it ended up. Also mention of the race where Chris drove Dad's Cobra. Any time I can pick up another piece of the puzzle I'm pleased. I am not an expert and cannot comment on the technical content or accuracy of the information; other than the parts that I remember personally, but I felt the information was presented well.

As you say, anyone can write a review of a book; writing a book and getting it published is a whole different issue. Who else has read this book and what is your opinion?

Ursula

#403 UAtkins

UAtkins

• 222 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:02

OK, I really should have looked at the THE thread for reviews shouldn't I.....???

Ursula

#404 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 18:01

Originally posted by UAtkins

I have just read the entire book in one day, and found it to be an interesting read. I was pleased to find mention of one of my Dad's Coopers and a bit more information on where it ended up. Also mention of the race where Chris drove Dad's Cobra. Any time I can pick up another piece of the puzzle I'm pleased. I am not an expert and cannot comment on the technical content or accuracy of the information; other than the parts that I remember personally, but I felt the information was presented well.

As you say, anyone can write a review of a book; writing a book and getting it published is a whole different issue. Who else has read this book and what is your opinion?

Ursula

I've got the book on order from Amazon, so I'll read it and make my own mind up. I was just interested in other opinions as it got a favourable review in Motor Sport. Eoin Young's writing is usually entertaining although I do have my doubts about his high regurgitation rate.

At the risk of sounding dense, who is Ursula's Dad ?

Paul

#405 UAtkins

UAtkins

• 222 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 18:11

Originally posted by PRD

At the risk of sounding dense, who is Ursula's Dad ?

Paul

Not dense at all....my Dad was C. T. "Tommy" Atkins, he was a small privateer from about 1958 to 1965, also entered cars under High Efficiency Motors. Thanks for asking.

Ursula

#406 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 23:01

Routeclassiche is published by Domus, who did the 6c2500 Alfa book, amongst others. Routeclassiche alos has a web site with a link to the stuff Domus publishes..

#407 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 15:20

Originally posted by Don Capps
However, I must admit that I can't recall seeing a review daring to criticize an author for what might be in some general fashion perhaps called "research." Or am I missing something there?

Me neither. I think it necessary for any good book to have both primary (i.e. info taken from personal interviews) and secondary sources (info from books, magazines, etc.) of information. I think the Amazon critic believes that just because you are writing about a living subject, you should poo-pooh secondary sources of information. However, just because Chris Amon is living, it shouldn't prevent healthy doses of secondary sources. Secondary sources are sometimes better to use than primary sources because I know from my own experience that memories of those who were there can sometimes get foggy at times. Especially when we are talking 30 years ago.

With my Masten Gregory biography, I had to rely quite a bit on secondary sources since he was no longer living and quite a few of his closest friends, former employers, etc. weren't either. I think secondary sources, such as quotes or excerpts out of books and magazine are excellent to use. It adds clout to your piece of writing when you have excerpts from a well-known name that was there, or a perceived expert, rather than just paraphrasing the bit.

I think the Amazon critic felt that Young was taking the lazy approach by using secondary sources but why re-event the wheel? If you come upon across a nice bit of writing or a revealing fact, generally it is better to quote the source and use the excerpt. And if the written amount pushes Fair Use, you have to go through the trouble of getting permission (or generally should) in order to use it. This is a bigger hassle than just paraphrasing something but it adds believability to the reader. The Amazon critic probably prefers the biography to be more of a novel, where the author colors the story and/or paint images of moments for the reader even though the author wasn't there. These type biographies sell better but I would rather read a factual biography.

#408 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 16:32

I finally sat down the other night and ordered Karl's Indy Cars of the '70s and the revised Porsche: Excellence Was Expected -- which I have been advised to place on a different shelf than my set of Time and Two Seats -- and Michael Oliver's Lotus 72. I am looking forward to reading and enjoying all of these.

#409 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 03:07

Well, the Wallen book showed up on the doorstep this afternoon. It most certainly is skinny when compared to its bretheren from the '50s and '60s. However, there are color pictures galore. It also gives some space, perhaps not much, to the Dirt Championship as well as the National Championship. The race reports are very much akin to those that Greg Fielden used in his NASCAR series, rather a bit skimpier than before and not not much meat on the USAC/CART head-knocking. Really hard to say more until I really take the time to look at it some more. The usual fine info in the results section courtesy Phil Harms, of course.

#410 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 05:06

Originally posted by Don Capps
-- and Michael Oliver's Lotus 72. I am looking forward to reading and enjoying all of these.

I've finished my first cover to cover read of Michael's Lotus 72. And my enthusiasm remains undimmed. Thanks Michael for this. Highly Highly recommended .

.............and special thanks for the section on the T76, for no good reason, I've always had a soft spot for that car................. I wonder if Bellamy was right that there was a good car there or if Warr made the right call?

OK. Now onto Excellence was Expected. I just hope Karl was kind to the 964.

#411 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 01:08

While seriously in the doghouse with She Who Must Be Obeyed -- the scars from her laser vision will heal in a few months -- and a dirty look from the UPS man as he lugged PEWE up to the door, I have really hit the jackpot over the last two days! The new Wallen book, Karl's PEWE & Indy Cars of the '70s, and Michael Oliver's Lotus 72 have all found their way to my library this week.

The Lotus 72 book seems to be simply outstanding, I am sorry I waited so long to get it! Ditto for PEWE! Just a first skimming of PEWE makes me a happy camper!

:love:

#412 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 03:52

Don, you really do need to make the walls of your maison du chien dirty look proof from SWMBO's laser eyes - I' ve found lining mine with those paper things bound in clothboard (and leather when I can afford it) to be fairly effective ;) ........oh and copious amounts of grovelling for forgiveness :kiss: wokks pretty well

#413 neville mackay

neville mackay

• 127 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 21:29

I was interested to read in a flyer from the UK booksellers Chater and Scott that the publishers of Autocourse are producing an Indianapolis 500 yearbook in time for Christmas. As someone based in the UK who has was always facinated by the 500, I spent many a happy hour and far too much money to mention on tracking down the various Clymer and Hungness yearbooks - not easy on this side of the pond - to the point where I now simply lack a '67. These books were wild and wacky, but their sheer variety and idiosyncracity makes them amoung the most treasured items in my collection. Talking to Rodger Ward as he signed the covers of his winning year editions at Goodwood and then having him ask me to help push his Watson roadster to the marshalling area provided a memory I shall always treasure!

I was bitterly disappointed when Hungness gave up the struggle and the subsequent "official" Tony George licensed confections were so appalling that I refused to buy them. I hope that the new publishers do justice to their subject and help re-establish the mix of the authoritative, the opinionated, the offbeat and the bizzare that so marked out the Clymer products.

Neville

#414 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 00:37

Originally posted by neville mackay
I was interested to read in a flyer from the UK booksellers Chater and Scott that the publishers of Autocourse are producing an Indianapolis 500 yearbook in time for Christmas.

Has a formal release date been given yet? The flyer I saw at Indy in May said "September," and the Classic Motorbooks catalog I just received yesterday says "Fall."

#415 neville mackay

neville mackay

• 127 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 19:49

It doesn't actually say when it will be available.

Loking over some of my Clymer's over the weekend, I couldn't help but smile at their propensity to include grainy photos of Floyd himself, usually standing next to some long forgotten TV celeb with copies of his 500 yearbook under one arm and smiling like a benign purveyor of patent snake oil.....

#416 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 167 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 00:26

I was interested to read in a flyer from the UK booksellers Chater and Scott that the publishers of Autocourse are producing an Indianapolis 500 yearbook

My initial reaction to this news was that this was the end of the CART annuals from Autocourse. However, Hazelton's web site indicates that there will be a 2003-2004 CART yearbook:

2003 Publishing Schedule (subject to change)

1) Autocourse Indianapolis 500® Official Yearbook (New title!) , September 2003
2) Wimbledon Official 2003 Annual, 5 September 2003
3) 2004 Calendars (Autocourse, Motocourse & CART) , 6 September 2003
4) The Open Golf Championship 2003 ,9 October 2003
5) Grand Prix Year 2003-04 , TBA, watch this space for updates
6) Autocourse 2003-04 Annual, 3 December 2003
7) Motocourse 2003-04 Annual, 13 December 2003
8) Rallycourse 2003-04 Annual, January 2004
9) Autocourse CART Official Yearbook 2003-04 , TBA (watch this space for updates)

http://www.hazletonp...s/home_set.html

#417 karlcars

karlcars

• 603 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:49

Anent Clymer, you may be interested to know that I've written a profile of him that will appear in this year's "Automobile Year". Prepare to see a lot more of those photos!

#418 karlcars

karlcars

• 603 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:01

Interesting comment, Ruairidh. I hope I have been FAIR to the 964, but I will be interested in your comments after you've had a look at that chapter and the one that follows. The chapter on the 993 is relevant as well. I've tried to reflect the opionions about the cars at the time they were new as reported by the press.

Interesting seeing the book referred to as PEWE! Bentley's code name for it during development was GPEX.

#419 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 11:55

Couple of recent acquisitions.

Unbeatable BMW, 2nd edition, by Jeremy Walton.

Very pretty. Very, very pretty indeed, although a few too many pics are from historic meetings and concours rather than 'contemporary' action shots.

Very readable, but shows "second-editionitis" quite heavily with some stories being truncated where the first edition left off and the join being very obvious in some places. Very much a collection of chapters rather than a coherent book. Walton's style is a bit over the top in places.

Superb on BMW's touring car history. Less so on their involvement in F1, F2 and sports cars (the story of BMW-powered cars in Group C and IMSA is rather glossed over).

A few irritations with it - e.g. the F2 results stop where the first edition stopped.

Best BMW racing book around? Almost certainly, but it is not without major structural flaws and really needs some tough editing. Four stars (just), although it contains a lot of 5* material....

Forza Amon! by Eoin Young

Splendidly readable, and unlike the churls who regard direct quotes from primary sources as detracting from the book I regard them as adding to it. Chris' personality seems to come across pretty clearly from it, a bright, self-effacing guy who loved what he did and thought of it as part of a good life. Chris has got the biography he deserves here - by a friend who understood what made him tick. Doesn't overplay the "unlucky" angle and really does emphasise the high regard Chris was held in by his rivals. Outstanding.

Advertisement

#420 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 12:49

Originally posted by m.tanney
Dan Gurney is working with Gordon Kirby on a biography which will be similar to his Mario Andretti: A Driving Passion. Like the Andretti book, it will be published by David Bull. The publisher expects to have it out sometime in 2004. It's a shame that it's taking so long, but if the Andretti book is any indication, it will be worth the wait.

Is there any news about the release of the new Gurney book? The year 2004 is approaching...

#421 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,306 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 13:13

The Le Mans Yearbook 2003 is available on Amazon for £13 or so. Quick, fill yer boots before they change it.

#422 m.tanney

m.tanney

• 341 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 16:55

Originally posted by Geza Sury

Is there any news about the release of the new Gurney book? The year 2004 is approaching...

Eager to read the Gurney book myself, I got in touch with David Bull Publishing. They told me that Gordon Kirby is still working on the text. The woman I spoke to explained that, due to his many other commitments, and their desire to do the best book possible, the presumptive publication date has been set back to mid-2005. :(

#423 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 19:19

Originally posted by m.tanney

Eager to read the Gurney book myself, I got in touch with David Bull Publishing. They told me that Gordon Kirby is still working on the text. The woman I spoke to explained that, due to his many other commitments, and their desire to do the best book possible, the presumptive publication date has been set back to mid-2005. :(

This is not very good news :cry: Thanks anyway, Mike :up:

#424 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 00:04

For me one of the most compelling books of this year was Gary Doyle's "Jimmy Murphy: King of the Boards." Anyone looking for a Christmas present - to give or receive - will be hard pressed to find a better value. Some have said that it is a bit pricey - but I think the opposite. The quality of the art and reproductions and overall presentation make this book excellent value. The book can be ordered direct from Gary at garyd@futureone.com

#425 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:13

This is not very good news :cry: Thanks anyway, Mike :up:

Could I suggest that this actually is good news?

Too many books have been spoiled by being rushed to meet a deadline.

How long is it since Gurney quit racing? What's another year matter if it's a good result when we get it?

Take BRM Volume 2 as an example. Would you like the book as it is now, or as it might have been had DCN been forced to finish it a few years earlier?

#426 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:24

Originally posted by Mike Argetsinger
For me one of the most compelling books of this year was Gary Doyle's "Jimmy Murphy: King of the Boards."

Have to agree 100% on this one. I haven't had the time to read it word by word, but I have read pieces here and there and have read all the captions to the photos. This is a book that obviously wasn't rushed. And I have to marvel at the depth of the information and the number and variety of photographs. It is amazing to think that so much information and illustrative material could have been gathered after 80 years or more have passed.

:up:

#427 TedN

TedN

• 226 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 23:58

New Fangio book by Gerald Donaldson. His work is generally top notch. For anyone in the Toronto area next Sunday, location here

Ted

#428 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 00:10

So many Fangio books and still no Varzi? Argh!

#429 joriswouters

joriswouters

• 269 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 21:35

I havn't had the time to browse this topic entirely. In the 'local' bookstore there's a Dutch translation of 'Bernie's game' by Terry Lovell, but I don't know whether it's a good idea to buy it. :confused: Not that I have a large in that store, but still. Maybe the experts here can help me.

#430 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 21:51

Originally posted by joriswouters
I havn't had the time to browse this topic entirely. In the 'local' bookstore there's a Dutch translation of 'Bernie's game' by Terry Lovell, but I don't know whether it's a good idea to buy it. :confused: Not that I have a large in that store, but still. Maybe the experts here can help me.

It's a superb book. Buy it. Probably not the last word on how Bernie's made his money, and not written by a racing expert, but it's as near to a definitive portrait of Bernie as we're likely to get while he's still alive.

#431 joriswouters

joriswouters

• 269 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 22:08

Originally posted by petefenelon

It's a superb book. Buy it. Probably not the last word on how Bernie's made his money, and not written by a racing expert, but it's as near to a definitive portrait of Bernie as we're likely to get while he's still alive.

Thx, I had the plans to buy it, now I definitely will buy it and when I searched fot other work of Lovell I didn't find anything related with F1, but the things he did were well researched, so I heard. And apparently it's also the case in this one.

#432 dolomite

dolomite

• 950 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 23:19

Just received my copy of the BRM Vol 1 reprint today! :love: :clap:

#433 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 17:37

Great news Fred Any idea how can I purchase the "Rally Cars" book? I'm not able to locate this book for a long time OK, you can buy it from Amazon for $200 or so, but I can't afford to spend that much )

Originally posted by Fred Gallagher
Seems you can get it from Pitstop in Perth, Australia at list price.

The book has arrived from Australia. It took almost two and a half months but it was well worth waiting for :up: Thanks again Fred for asking the author about the availability! Oh, and on page 348 there's a short article by a certain Mr Gallagher about his favourite rally car, the Toyota Celica Twin Cam Turbo ;)

#434 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 283 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:10

Glad you found it Geza.

Now, has anyone seen Klein's Safari book? I think it is wonderful. I helped with the early statistics 1953-1968 and know already that some of '68 is missing. We tried to do full entry lists and results. If anyone knows of any corrections please let me know.

#435 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 11:50

The book has arrived from Australia. It took almost two and a half months but it was well worth waiting for :up: Thanks again Fred for asking the author about the availability! Oh, and on page 348 there's a short article by a certain Mr Gallagher about his favourite rally car, the Toyota Celica Twin Cam Turbo ;)

Klein's Rally is just as good - concentrates on the events, championships and the drivers rather than the cars but just as full of superb photography. The two make up a weighty and very, very attractive history of the sport!

(just throw in Stuart Turner's Twice Lucky for some light relief!)

#436 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 16:32

Klein's Rally is just as good - concentrates on the events, championships and the drivers rather than the cars but just as full of superb photography.

Thanks Pete, I already have that book and I never regretted buying it for a single minute!

Has anyone seen the new Ronnie Peterson book by John Tipler? I read his Graham Hill bio (Master of Motorsport) and it wasn't bad at all. The Peterson bio is a bit expensive right now (GBP 34.95 IIRC), but I'm sure it would be remaindered sooner or later...

#437 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 16:42

Thanks Pete, I already have that book and I never regretted buying it for a single minute!

Has anyone seen the new Ronnie Peterson book by John Tipler? I read his Graham Hill bio (Master of Motorsport) and it wasn't bad at all. The Peterson bio is a bit expensive right now (GBP 34.95 IIRC), but I'm sure it would be remaindered sooner or later...

I haven't read it and I'm a little wary too. I've always felt Tipler's books were competent but uninspired - I found "Master of Motorsport" rather dull to be honest, but that's probably because "Life at the Limit" is such a great memoir. His Lotus 25/33 book was OK, nice pictures and good research but no real "life" to it; same goes for his two little picture books on Lotus racing cars. He's obviously a great marque enthusiast but I don't think his passion comes over very well.

If Coterie have done anything like as nice a job on the Ronnie book as they did on Michael Oliver's 72 book then 34.95 is not expensive for what you'll get, though.

#438 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 95 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 02:25

Just curious, I received Michael Oliver's Lotus 72 book today and was wondering why there appears to be two different dust jackets, the one shown on the Amazon web site appears to be yellow with a picture in the middle, others are mainly just a large picture of the 72. What if any is the difference?
Jeff.

#439 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,767 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 23:01

I've just received an update from Eoin Young on his current projects.

The planned Bruce and Denny Diaries is not going ahead at this time but another called McLaren Memories will take its place.

The second volume of Eoin's biography, titled It Still Beats Working is due out in the UK this week.

Yet another book, this one about Jim Clark and the Lotus 25 (R4) that became the Lotus 33 (R13), is planned to be launched at the Goodwood Festival next year. The title of this one is Jim Clark and his Lost Lotus.

Advertisement

#440 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,252 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 23:47

I haven't read it and I'm a little wary too. I've always felt Tipler's books were competent but uninspired - I found "Master of Motorsport" rather dull to be honest, but that's probably because "Life at the Limit" is such a great memoir.

Glad I wasn't the only one who was underwhelmed by that. As far as I could see, he'd done no original research, just read the published books and patched in a few quotes from magazines. I haven't read "It was Fun", but I assume all the Tony Rudd quotes came from that? There were a few apparently unpublished bits from Surtees, but I have to say that as I was reading it, I kept thinking "I could have written this ...."

If Coterie have done anything like as nice a job on the Ronnie book as they did on Michael Oliver's 72 book then 34.95 is not expensive for what you'll get, though.

Chaters had an early copy at Goodwood: not quite as well produced as Michael's book - the design was a bit lurid somehow.

#441 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:41

Anoyone heard anything recently about the "ultimate etceterini" book that was planned by Enzo Alitorio who did the Taraschi, Giannini, and De Sanctis books??

#442 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 882 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 00:13

Originally posted by Jeff Weinbren
Just curious, I received Michael Oliver's Lotus 72 book today and was wondering why there appears to be two different dust jackets, the one shown on the Amazon web site appears to be yellow with a picture in the middle, others are mainly just a large picture of the 72. What if any is the difference?
Jeff.

Hi Jeff

There is a simple answer to that one. The cover shown on the Amazon site was an early 'mock-up' which was sent to them because you have to do these things some time in advance. The only thing I can say about it is thank goodness it didn't stay like that :lol: Apparently Coterie have drawn it to Amazon's attention but it hasn't been changed :rolleyes:

Cheers

Michael

#443 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 13:13

Originally posted by Michael Oliver

Hi Jeff

There is a simple answer to that one. The cover shown on the Amazon site was an early 'mock-up' which was sent to them because you have to do these things some time in advance. The only thing I can say about it is thank goodness it didn't stay like that :lol: Apparently Coterie have drawn it to Amazon's attention but it hasn't been changed :rolleyes:

Cheers

Michael

You're not alone there then - Eric Dymock's Jim Clark book is still listed as being about Jim Clarke. You reckon there's someone out there who really, really hates Lotus?;)

#444 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 18:07

You reckon there's someone out there who really, really hates Lotus?;)

....yes, the bloke(s) who keep on commissioning John Tipler to write books on Lotus, so pre-empting the field and depriving us of decent works on the subject.

And before anyone flames me, just understand this comes from the heart and from someone who has bought all of the Tipler works on Lotus to date!

#445 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,306 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 18:24

You're not alone there then - Eric Dymock's Jim Clark book is still listed as being about Jim Clarke. You reckon there's someone out there who really, really hates Lotus?;)

Maybe the same proofreader that missed Clay 'Reggazoni' in an...erm...recent Lotus book. Not once, but about 40 times. :p

#446 karlcars

karlcars

• 603 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 19:00

Interesting about the reported delay in the Gurney book...

Yours truly was, I think, the third or fourth person engaged by Dan to work with him on his autobiography. It did not work out, for reasons not unconnected with the real Dan and his wife -- personalities normally concealed from the world at large.

My wife and I doubt that a Gurney book will ever appear. Will Kirby & Bull prove us wrong? I wonder....

#447 neville mackay

neville mackay

• 127 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 19:16

With all the flack that poor John Tipler gets in this forum - much of it deserved, and some of it from me! - I thought it only fair to report that his biography of Ronnie Peterson is a thoroughly well researched and effortlessly written effort. Tipler has spoken to all the right people connected with Ronnie - his family, his friends, his mechanics, his rivals - and has matched this with a mass of previously unseen photographs, some of it seemingly from the Peterson family albums. The result is an endearing and engaging book that pulls no punches over Peterson as a person and a driver - for example, exposing some of the very real tensions that blighted his final year at Lotus alongside Mario Andretti. A very commendable effort marred only by some dodgy proof reading and some OTT "design" from Coterie press - which will age as quickly as Reine Wisell's sideburns!

Neville Mackay

#448 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 19:46

With all the flack that poor John Tipler gets in this forum - much of it deserved, and some of it from me! - I thought it only fair to report that his biography of Ronnie Peterson is a thoroughly well researched and effortlessly written effort. Tipler has spoken to all the right people connected with Ronnie - his family, his friends, his mechanics, his rivals - and has matched this with a mass of previously unseen photographs, some of it seemingly from the Peterson family albums. The result is an endearing and engaging book that pulls no punches over Peterson as a person and a driver - for example, exposing some of the very real tensions that blighted his final year at Lotus alongside Mario Andretti. A very commendable effort marred only by some dodgy proof reading and some OTT "design" from Coterie press - which will age as quickly as Reine Wisell's sideburns!

Neville Mackay

...and I should add that I haven't read this, but will, especially for any insights into the 1978 season.

#449 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 882 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 21:33

Originally posted by ensign14
Maybe the same proofreader that missed Clay 'Reggazoni' in an...erm...recent Lotus book. Not once, but about 40 times. :p

Oh my gawd :o Do you know, I never, ever noticed it was spelt differently. I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say that. I've just checked a standard reference book and there it is:

R E G A Z Z O N I

I guess because I always referred to him as 'Regga', my mind made that mental leap :rolleyes:

So don't blame the proofreader (although I suppose it's the kind of thing that should have come up!) shoot the writer instead :lol:

#450 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 02:33

Originally posted by Michael Oliver

Oh my gawd :o Do you know, I never, ever noticed it was spelt differently. I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say that. I've just checked a standard reference book and there it is:

R E G A Z Z O N I

I guess because I always referred to him as 'Regga', my mind made that mental leap :rolleyes:

So don't blame the proofreader (although I suppose it's the kind of thing that should have come up!) shoot the writer instead :lol:

Actually this is kinda funny. I'm not sure how many times in my life I've seen that name in print and yet even after reading Michael's book I didn't pick up on the "new" spelling and had to go and check.....