Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7760 replies to this topic

#4451 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,120 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 19:57

Thank you for shedding some light on the matter Proviz. I am familiar with the Delsaux text...my memory of an alleged Ambrose book...well, I certainly must have gotten myself confused(you know, I am the only one who can do that :p ) That being said, until a history of the Marathon (en Anglais) is published, I shall have to be content with reading Mr. Ambrose's brief account of the 1964 event in one of my slightly dusty copies of Motor Sport. Cheers--GH.

Closest thing I have seen is one of the old Transport Source books I bought years ago at Chaters, think they are impossible to get hold of new nowadays (does anyone know what happened to them?)

It was basically a collection of cuttings from The Motor, Autocar & Autosport. Only covers 1951-71 so none of the early years.

Advertisement

#4452 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,206 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 20:37

I have The Racing Fiteen-Hundreds by David Venables. Any other books on the same theme ?

Its predecessor, Racing Voiturettes by Kent Karslake. There are three copies on abebooks. Cheapest is £142. :eek:

#4453 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:03

New Book:
Bud Moore: Man and Machine
By Dr. John A. Craft
$44.95

Bud Moore was inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in Talladega, Alabama on April 23, 2009. Carbon Press is proud to be publishing his biography to coincide with the induction - Bud Moore: Man and Machine

In the works for over two years, Dr. John Craft has interviewed all of Bud's living drivers and completed a staggering amount of research for this book that covers every aspect of Bud's life: his government-sponsored trip to the beaches of Normandy and western Europe, his NASCAR career, the storied Trans-Am years and a whole lot more. The hard cover Racer's edition is over 400 pages and over 200 images will help complete the wonderful story Dr. Craft has woven.

Link

#4454 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:24

The Bud Moore book is not too bad. It has a ton of information on the racing world that Moore inhabited, a far more cosmopolitan one than most would realize. Moore and the other wizard of Spartanburg, Cotton Owens, made racing Back in the Day quite fascinating. I had the opportunity to skim it and read most of it while I was home. It is a hopeful trend that we are finally getting books written about NASCAR and its participants that are not simply the product of PR flacks. Long overdue.

#4455 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:09

FERRARI: Fifty Years on the Track.

Any good?

Co-authored by Starkey, so....

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 08 July 2009 - 12:15.

#4456 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 15:51

Thanks to ensign14 and Philippe.

Oh yes , it would be great with something on F2 !

#4457 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 17:45

Mr. Capps, did you manage to complete A.J. Baime's book on the Ford-Ferrari LeMans battles? If so, how was it?

#4458 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 18:03

Mr. Capps, did you manage to complete A.J. Baime's book on the Ford-Ferrari Le Mans battles? If so, how was it?

It was certainly not written for folks like me or a few others here in mind, but for a general audience it is not a bad book, somewhat better than I expected to be.

Anything that can get the younger generation interested in and reading about such events has got to be given some credit -- simply getting something like that published is a challenge these days.

#4459 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 18:19

Thanks.

I'd feared that there was nothing new to add to previous works, and this seems to be the case.

Advertisement

#4460 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:57

Thanks.

I'd feared that there was nothing new to add to previous works, and this seems to be the case.

Which, of course, begs the question as to what might be "new" to add to the previous woks?

While I would suggest that the Baime book may not blaze much as far as "new trails" are concerned regarding the Ford vs. Ferrari face-off at Le Mans and in the sports car racing world, however it does a good job of synthesizing much of the information regarding the Zeitgeist and the context within which all this takes place. Too often our interests and focus are so laser thin that while we can clearly see the tree, we forgot that it exists not only within a forest, but that there are groves and strands of trees within that forest.

I thought it did a good, for the most part, of providing some food for thought about the war that was waged, rather than a recitation of the individual battles in that war. Again, if the book gets one person to begin taking an interest in racing history that leads to reading other materials while seeking to learn more, then it is a successful book in my simplistic view of things.

Of course, one thought that did cross my mind as I read the book was this: Why didn't I write something like this? Oh, well....

#4461 Rob

Rob

• 8,170 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:54

Does anyone own "Lotus 49 and 72: Ultimate Guide" by Colin Pitt? Is it any good?

Edited by Rob, 09 July 2009 - 08:54.

#4462 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:59

World Champion "Cooper Cars" by Doug Nye

dear all
I purchased a copy of the original book pub 1983 when it came out, but picked up a S/H copy recently noted as 3rd edition 1991 with winner montagu and Dreyfus banner on cover.
I have had a look at content of both books but they appear to be the same, is anyone aware of any physical difference in the text? between the two. Basically I want to get rid of one - my original is as new, the new copy is medium but prefer to keep 3rd edition if it is an upgrade?
regards terry

#4463 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:03

OTTOMH, didn't the later edition have more Mini-Cooper content?

Edited by David McKinney, 09 July 2009 - 10:03.

#4464 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:39

I thought it did a good, for the most part, of providing some food for thought about the war that was waged, rather than a recitation of the individual battles in that war. Again, if the book gets one person to begin taking an interest in racing history that leads to reading other materials while seeking to learn more, then it is a successful book in my simplistic view of things.

Point taken. ;) My concern was that I have several books on the topic and increasingly limited shelf space, so in the "war of inches," the new Bud Moore book likely wins.

As it turns out, my local library, not renowned for purchasing auto racing books beyond the realm of NASCAR, has two copies of the Baime book. So I'll undoubtedly be reading it whether I ultimately purchase a copy or not.

#4465 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:01

...increasingly limited shelf space...

Why, is your house shrinking?

Slightly more serious, something that I know I should be deeply ashamed of, and I can almost hear the TNF lips curling as I type this, but a few months ago I bought three books on eBay. One I really wanted, but one of the other two that came with it was NASCAR For Dummies. Many will sneer of course, but knowing not a great deal about this form of racing, I've found the book remarkably interesting, enlightening even. It explains in simple terms such things as body template enforcement, spotter strategies and tech compliance etc, with useful sections on almost all of the tracks. It isn't a work of great erudition, it has a 'Do's & dont's' section aimed at Rednecks that advises sternly against throwing objects on the track or drinking too much, but I found it mostly remarkably informative. It's currently residing between slightly more serious Dummies works on Windows XP and Office 2007 on my (non-contracting) bookshelf, not at all bad for something that was pretty much free.

Rob

Edited by kayemod, 09 July 2009 - 12:02.

#4466 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:11

....so in the "war of inches," the new Bud Moore book likely wins.

I have been lucky enough in life that there came a point earlier-on than most where shelf space was not a driving force in my acquisition of a library, one of the nice things about being an academic is that you are expected to be drowning in books....

Edited by HDonaldCapps, 09 July 2009 - 12:11.

#4467 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:51

Why, is your house shrinking?

:lol:

In a way, yes. My wife teaches English and is an avid reader and book acquirer, and my daughter also loves to read. So shelf-space at Chez Pethke is a valuable resource! As Col. Capps puts it, we are drowning in books. Happily, but at some point a little planning is in order.

Edited by red stick, 09 July 2009 - 12:53.

#4468 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 20:38

FERRARI: Fifty Years on the Track.

Any good?

Co-authored by Starkey, so....

Jack.

To Jack: I have a copy. It is quite good. Especially the photographs that come (partly) from the Klemantaski Collection. I have the slip-case version (normally I never buy those) which starts of with 20 pages of adverts (kinda Ferrarissima).
Good paintings by Romanski. The written word is good. It is all racing, racing, racing (!). Includes the 333 adventure.
At the back is a chassis by chassis account of all competition cars. A daring enterprise to publish that! Now this may be the reason why on the barchetta.cc book list it received a thumb down appreciation. I did find the chassis listing often lacking the complete story for each car, which you tend to find in dedicated Ferrari books (250 LM by Massini, 250 GT by Pourret, etc.).
Still for 375 pages of Ferrari it may be worth between 20-50 euros.

#4469 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 22:17

To Jack: I have a copy. It is quite good. Especially the photographs that come (partly) from the Klemantaski Collection. I have the slip-case version (normally I never buy those) which starts of with 20 pages of adverts (kinda Ferrarissima).
Good paintings by Romanski. The written word is good. It is all racing, racing, racing (!). Includes the 333 adventure.
At the back is a chassis by chassis account of all competition cars. A daring enterprise to publish that! Now this may be the reason why on the barchetta.cc book list it received a thumb down appreciation. I did find the chassis listing often lacking the complete story for each car, which you tend to find in dedicated Ferrari books (250 LM by Massini, 250 GT by Pourret, etc.).
Still for 375 pages of Ferrari it may be worth between 20-50 euros.

Thanks for that very nice description. I see the prices for slipcase editions on ABE are more like $150. I don't know if it would be worth that much to me.

Thanks again!

Jack.

#4470 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:03

Has anyone heard any new information about when "Inside Track" will be published? I've inquired of both DCN (very busy with FoS, no doubt) and the official Phil Hill web site but have received no responses.

Thank you.

Jack.

Well, having heard nothing, and with the Phil Hill web site's email auto-response still referencing a 2007 publication date, I wonder if something has gone sideways....

Jack

#4471 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 95 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:55

Jack,
I asked Doug Nye at The Festival Of Speed about this book and he told me that he had been speaking to Derek Hill, and that it was going ahead and that he expected it to be released around Christmas 2010.
Jeff Weinbren.

Well, having heard nothing, and with the Phil Hill web site's email auto-response still referencing a 2007 publication date, I wonder if something has gone sideways....

Jack

#4472 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:12

Jack,
I asked Doug Nye at The Festival Of Speed about this book and he told me that he had been speaking to Derek Hill, and that it was going ahead and that he expected it to be released around Christmas 2010.
Jeff Weinbren.

Thanks for that information, Jeff, disappointing as it may be.

Jack

#4473 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:36

Thanks for that very nice description. I see the prices for slipcase editions on ABE are more like $150. I don't know if it would be worth that much to me.

Thanks again!

Jack.

At the KlemColl they ask $125, but they do have a sale every now and then. The standard copy must be lower in price.

#4474 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 18:33

Which, of course, begs the question as to what might be "new" to add to the previous woks?

While I would suggest that the Baime book may not blaze much as far as "new trails" are concerned regarding the Ford vs. Ferrari face-off at Le Mans and in the sports car racing world, however it does a good job of synthesizing much of the information regarding the Zeitgeist and the context within which all this takes place. Too often our interests and focus are so laser thin that while we can clearly see the tree, we forgot that it exists not only within a forest, but that there are groves and strands of trees within that forest.

Of course, one thought that did cross my mind as I read the book was this: Why didn't I write something like this? Oh, well....

I thought it was worth a read and quite enjoyed it. He's a feature writer and individual chapters came over as individual features in a series which didn't help the flow of the whole book, but it cracks on at good pace. I wish he wouldn't use the word "pavement"when he means "road" though and the acknowledgements are like an Oscar winners speech- Baime thanks everyone hes ever met including his entire family and his elementary school English teacher.

I'll pass it onto my son and see if a younger (he's 25) gets on with it.

Meanwhile I've resolved to read more about Ken Miles having read "Go Like Hell" , is the Art Evans book any good?

#4475 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 18:53

Meanwhile I've resolved to read more about Ken Miles having read "Go Like Hell" , is the Art Evans book any good?

Yes, but it's not a standard biography. It's described as a "scrapbook," with lots of photos and short essays from those who knew Miles. Its great value lies in the fact that there is no other Miles bio.

#4476 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 20:51

I thought it was worth a read and quite enjoyed it. He's a feature writer and individual chapters came over as individual features in a series which didn't help the flow of the whole book, but it cracks on at good pace. I wish he wouldn't use the word "pavement"when he means "road" though and the acknowledgements are like an Oscar winners speech- Baime thanks everyone hes ever met including his entire family and his elementary school English teacher.

I'll pass it onto my son and see if a younger (he's 25) gets on with it.

There's a review of the book in today's The Wall Street Journal but I haven't read it yet. I began reading the book last night, having just finished Bugatti Queen, which was excellent and kindled a new interest in that era for me.

Jack

#4477 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 21:04

At the KlemColl they ask $125, but they do have a sale every now and then. The standard copy must be lower in price.

Thank you. Because of your help I was able to save about $75 over the price of the one that just sold on Ebay, although the KlemColl copy I ordered is not signed. (I don't care too much about that.) Also, the fact that Klemantaski Collection is carrying the book gives it credibility, at least with me, as do your own comments about it.

Jack

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 10 July 2009 - 21:09.

#4478 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:43

Yes, but it's not a standard biography. It's described as a "scrapbook," with lots of photos and short essays from those who knew Miles. Its great value lies in the fact that there is no other Miles bio.

I had browse around and got tempted by a second edition of the Cobra-Ferrari wars direct from the author. Its just too easy to spend your money nowadays :blush:

#4479 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 14:34

I had browse around and got tempted by a second edition of the Cobra-Ferrari wars direct from the author. Its just too easy to spend your money nowadays :blush:

I can sympathize. I jumped at that when it was released.

Advertisement

#4480 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 21:46

Ferrari: The Men from Maranello is apparently available in the UK (according to Amazon.co.uk). Has anyone here read it yet?

Thanks.

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 11 July 2009 - 21:46.

#4481 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 48 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:17

Ferrari: The Men from Maranello is apparently available in the UK (according to Amazon.co.uk). Has anyone here read it yet?

Thanks.

Jack.

Yes it is available (happened to pop into Motor Books at the weekend for a quick browse and spotted it there) but I haven't read it as I ordered a copy mail order and it hasn't arrived yet! At a quick glance it looked pretty comprehensive in terms of coverage with something on a lot more than just the usual suspects.

Jonathan

#4482 FLB

FLB

• 1,922 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 00:42

Its just too easy to spend your money nowadays :blush:

I recently went to a race at Watkins Glen. Inside of an hour, I bought:

A used copy of Rudolf Caracciola's autobiography (American edition, 1962)
A used copy of Bruce McLaren's biography by Karl Ludvigsen
A used copy of The Heavily Censored History of Hesketh Racing
Rick Mears's biography, Thanks
Mike Argetsigner's Walt Hansgen biography
Carlos Jalife's Brothers Rodriguez

... All of which did no good whatsoever to my bank account!

#4483 don hodgdon

don hodgdon

• 125 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:00

I recently went to a race at Watkins Glen. Inside of an hour, I bought:

A used copy of Rudolf Caracciola's autobiography (American edition, 1962)
A used copy of Bruce McLaren's biography by Karl Ludvigsen
A used copy of The Heavily Censored History of Hesketh Racing
Rick Mears's biography, Thanks
Mike Argetsigner's Walt Hansgen biography
Carlos Jalife's Brothers Rodriguez

... All of which did no good whatsoever to my bank account!

But such a nice addition to your collection!

#4484 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:20

But such a nice addition to your collection!

...and a lot of weight! (Especially Rodriguez).

#4485 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 20:49

Will be at the Brian Redman races at Road America this coming weekend so will check out the Green Mountain and Motorsport Collector booths. Tom Warth and I are driving his 289 Cobra to and from the event; a nasty job, but someone has to do it!

Frank

#4486 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 22:26

Will be at the Brian Redman races at Road America this coming weekend so will check out the Green Mountain and Motorsport Collector booths. Tom Warth and I are driving his 289 Cobra to and from the event; a nasty job, but someone has to do it!

Frank

The same Warth who was T.E. Warth used books a number of years ago? I still have one of his price lists from the mid nineties. He was operating out of Osceola, Wis., IIRC.

Tom

#4487 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 22:48

The same Warth who was T.E. Warth used books a number of years ago? I still have one of his price lists from the mid nineties. He was operating out of Osceola, Wis., IIRC.

Tom

Tom:

Yes, one and the same. Tom started Classic Motorbooks in 1963 and sold it circa late-1980s. He's still flogging old car books. Also runs Iconografix (publisher), Enthusiast Books (retailer), Transportation Book Service (importer/distributor) and Books For Africa (charity). For a while, he was the only used book dealer I knew who had his own helicopter. Tom would be the first to admit that his prices were high, but he offered instant gratification in that when you needed a book, he usually had it, ready for immediate dispatch.

Hope to meet you at RA, Tom. Look for us in the black Cobra, probably at the car show, not on the track.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 15 July 2009 - 22:49.

#4488 FLB

FLB

• 1,922 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 23:04

Tom

I bought a couple of Hungness Indy 500 Yearbooks from him about a month ago, in their correctly-described condition, for a reasonable price (IMHO). I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

He has an AbeBooks store.

Edited by FLB, 15 July 2009 - 23:05.

#4489 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:40

Frank

Have a great time, Frank.

Jack

#4490 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:37

Just about everybody here knows more about books, motor racing history, and motor racing history books than I do, so I'd like to pose a question...

I've been reading Go Like Hell by A.J. Baime. While it couldn't be considered a scholarly work, it has been an enjoyable read....until I got to page 175 where an annotation states that Marco Andretti is Mario's third son. My question is, when you see a glaring error such as this one, do you call into question all the other facts in the book? Perhaps I over-react, but it seems like fact checking must be pretty poor for something this elementary (and easily checked) to slip through, and I read the rest of the book with less confidence in the accuracy of what I'm reading.

Jack

#4491 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:41

Just about everybody here knows more about books, motor racing history, and motor racing history books than I do, ...

Jack

No, you know more about other books, MRH, MRHb than I do.

My question is, when you see a glaring error such as this one, do you call into question all the other facts in the book?

They do occur, and even with the best of writers (some who also visit TNF!). You have the feeling your eyes deceive you. I once read an article on Villeneuve in Forza (F mag) when it stated he won his first race in 1978 in a 312 T4. Which was repeated in some lines down. Instantly I thought the magazine was c. Of course it isn't.
I feel that with reading more and more on racing one gets educated and will spot more errors. Its more a sign of your own knowledge when you spot them. The writer, corrector or who-ever may have made this error well into the night rushing to get it finished. Of course it may well be a book with more errors by a young or non dedicated writer. You will maybe only notice when re-reading it in some years from now after some more books in what category it falls.

#4492 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 14:27

Does anyone have or can say a few words on :

DEI EX MACHINA - STORIA DALLA SCUDERIA CENTRO SUD

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 16 July 2009 - 14:28.

#4493 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 17:18

Tom

Seeing Mr. Warth's name put me in mind of my first attempt to do business with Classic Motorbooks (I think it was called that, even then?) as a young enthusiast back in the the late 60s or early 70s. I had seen an advert in Autoweek, I believe, and had written asking for a book list. The list arrived and I immediately found items I wanted to buy. The list was copied using a mimeograph machine and some of the purple ink was hard to make out. I sent off my order along with a letter of thanks to the proprietor. It began, "Dear Mr. Warts"....... :blush:

Lin

#4494 rudi

rudi

• 208 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:45

Does anyone have or can say a few words on :

DEI EX MACHINA - STORIA DALLA SCUDERIA CENTRO SUD

Very dissapointing if you look for a story of the Scuderia Centro-Sud.
But if you like anecdotic short stories, you will find some in this book: Bonnier at the 1957 italian GP, the missing drivers at a Buenos Aires
GP, the Couper (?) for Enzo Ferrari, The Baghetti-Bandini fight for the italian championship and many other more or less known or
interesting.

#4495 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:40

Thanks Rudi.

#4496 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 17:00

Two more books that are coming out:

Stirling Moss Scrapbook 1956-1960 (looks like this fill in the years between the 1955 and 1961
scrapbooks).
Cost 29.71 pounds (Amazon UK)
Available July 24, 2009

Treasures of Formula One - In association with the Donington Park Grand Prix Collection
Bruce Jones
Publication September 2009
cost 26 pounds (Motorbooks UK)
64 pages (?), 275 photos, 30 removable items of memorabilia

"Bruce Jones' text drives you through the early years of motoring and racing, the first Grands
Prix and the birth of the World Drivers Championship...accompanied by magnificent photography
and augmented by items of removable facsimile memorabilia from the Donington Grand Prix Collection."

This is the second book I've seen come out recently with reprinted memorabilia (the first is
Ayrton Senna Memories by Hilton 2009). I wonder if this will become a trend?

Michael

#4497 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:45

New book. In Japanese, but it's illustrations of Mitsubishi rally cars, so language is probably not much of an issue.

Rally Car Illustrations #2
Mitsubishi
Shuichi Furuoka
26.0 X 24.8 cm
110 pages
in Japanese
2,500 Yen

Link

#4498 wdm

wdm

• 163 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 18:22

(Bear with me: this starts wildly off-topic, but comes back on-topic by the end of the post...)

Forty years ago tonight I (at one-and-a-half years old) was dragged out of my bed to watch Messrs. Armstrong and Aldrin step on the surface of the moon. It's something I have absolutely no recollection of, of course, but I grew up with a fascination for rockets, space exploration and the like.

Thus I recently thought it might be a nice idea to find a book that might convey some of the excitement of those times to my five-year-old. After much Amazon-searching, I lighted upon a lovely book: "Moonshot" by Brian Floca.

A bit more searching revealed Floca's previous titles include "The Racecar Alphabet", which has already been highly praised on this thread. Although published a few years ago, there still seem to be a few copies floating around.

I (and my son!) can heartily recommend both of these books to any 'TNFer in the making'.

(Even younger proto-TNFers might simply prefer to colour in the pictures which can be downloaded from the author's website :))

#4499 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 00:42

Seeing Mr. Warth's name put me in mind of my first attempt to do business with Classic Motorbooks (I think it was called that, even then?) as a young enthusiast back in the the late 60s or early 70s. I had seen an advert in Autoweek, I believe, and had written asking for a book list. The list arrived and I immediately found items I wanted to buy. The list was copied using a mimeograph machine and some of the purple ink was hard to make out. I sent off my order along with a letter of thanks to the proprietor. It began, "Dear Mr. Warts"....... :blush:

Lin

Lin:

Tom started Classic Motorbooks in 1963 in his house and sold out in the late 1980s. Now he's involved in publishing and selling all manner of new and used automotive books. Spending time with him this weekend, I survived two long visits to his Hudson, Wisconsin, warehouse, where I found several new and used titles that I "desperately needed." Even better, we drove his black 289 Cobra to Elkhart Lake for the vintage races, where it won Road & Track magazine's "Car We'd Most Like To Drive Home" award, selected by Peter Egan hisself. Then we drove it 300 miles home...

Frank

Advertisement

#4500 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:50

Frank, I did get the feeling that Tom's bookselling had fairly humble beginnings but they didn't seem to stay that way for long. The mimeographed sheet was soon replaced and I only encountered it once, if memory serves. (And if often doesn't)!

I don't know which I envy more, the trips through the warehouse (my eyes glaze over at the thought) or driving the Cobra. Mmmm, it's a toss-up.

Lin

Edited by vashlin, 21 July 2009 - 12:51.