• Please log in to reply
7806 replies to this topic

#4601 sprite

sprite

• 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:55

There is one available at www.abebooks.com for $50.00 US
http://www.abebooks....u...mp;x=64&y=8

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy of the EJ Potter book Michigan Madman? I've got one but wanted to give one as a Christmas gift. It is a funny read.

Advertisement

#4602 rwills

rwills

• 125 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:24

Thanks a lot, sold!

#4603 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:08

In reply to post 4602. There will be a good amount of detail on the US racing scene. This is the first of a series of books . other titles will cover C Types,D Types, E Types, XKs, Etc

#4604 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:26

Looks to be an excellent book and one that I would like to have.

Two questions, though:

1-Does it cover US racing in detail?

2-Does it cover the Chevrolet engined cars that raced in the US, principally the Kelso, Pete Harrison, Art Huttinger, etc., cars?

Tom

Lister-Jaguar - Brian Lister and the cars from Cambridge

Tom
Sorry for delay in replying - Paul says yes, there is some US coverage including Lister-Chevrolet and those you named. But only in outline - the subject of the USA cars was too big to be included in detail. The main thrust of the book is naturally the Jaguar engined machinery.

#4605 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,423 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:41

In reply to post 4602. There will be a good amount of detail on the US racing scene. This is the first of a series of books . other titles will cover C Types,D Types, E Types, XKs, Etc

Thanks Ted and Tony. Looks like a real Jaguar series is upon us, hopefully similar to Willem Oosthoek's Maserati series.

I look forward to it.

Tom

#4606 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 429 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 23:36

Darn. After inquiring with Haynes Publishing, I received an email from them saying that they currently have no plans of publishing Formula One in Camera 1990-1999 but will consider it for future publication.

Shame as I really enjoyed that the first 3 books of the series. Guess I will have to wait a while to see the 1990's Benettons, the Rothman Williams, the West Mclarens, and the ummm 7-Up Jordan in print.

#4607 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:17

Another great chapter of Maserati sports car racing in the early 60's arrived at my desk from Oosthoek & Bollee :The magnificent front engined Birdcages ! A great companion to the Supercage book , along the same lines.

The title says it all , so does the authors names ,simply A MUST !

#4608 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,709 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 14:28

Paul Skilleter's website has a brief preview of these forthcoming Jaguar books
http://www.paulskill...forthcoming.php
Scroll down to the lower half of the page

#4609 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,423 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 20:54

Paul Skilleter's website has a brief preview of these forthcoming Jaguar books
http://www.paulskill...forthcoming.php
Scroll down to the lower half of the page

THAT is an ambitious program! Look forward to it.
Tom

#4610 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,372 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 21:20

One that seems to have slipped under the radar a little:

The Zborowski Inheritance by David Paine

Privately-published, by the looks, might be worth a squiz.

#4611 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:21

New books:
------------------------------------------------
Devin The Man and His Cars
Evans, Art
Binding: Softbound
Number of photos: 147 illustrations
Number of pages: 60 pages
Dimensions: 8.5'' x 11''
Publisher: AE Photo Data Research 2009
ISBN Number: 097972192X / 978097972
$19.95
Art Evans' relationship to Bill Devin is unique. From the time of the fifties, they were close friends as well as business associates. When Bill passed on in November 2000, Bill's widow asked Art to deliver the eulogy at the service. Bill Devin created a number of cars as well as the best-selling after-market fiberglass body. Bill's first car was the Devin Panhard, a limited-edition sports-racing car that won its class in the SCCA National Championship. In 1958, he created the fabled Devin SS, which was soon followed by the Devin D and the Devin C, an all-American sports car. All of these cars are described in great detail in this book. Some of the Devin after-market bodies were used on quite a few racing specials including Ak Miller's, that won its class six times in eight tries. Not just a car book, Devin's history is described in some detail as well as a few of those with whom he was associated.
Link
Racing for Mercedes-Benz – A Dictionary of the 240 Fastest Drivers of the Marque
In stock October 2009
By Hartmut Lehbrink
Hardback • 21.5x27cm • 250 pages • 300 pictures
ISBN: 978-1-845840-44-0
£ 35.00
To write an encyclopedia of Mercedes racing drivers is, in essence, to compile a who’s who of the four-wheeled sport. No wonder when, from the very beginning of motor racing, the products of Daimler, Daimler-Benz, and their two predecessors, the world’s oldest auto manufacturers, have been subjected to the ultimate tests on road and track.
Many of the men who drove these cars – Christian Lautenschlager, Rudolf Caracciola, Manfred von Brauchitsch, Hermann Lang, Karl Kling – displayed a dogged loyalty to the marque. This was in many cases coupled with a remarkable hometown allegiance. The lives of Lang, Walter Schock, Eugen Böhringer and many others were firmly rooted in the soil of Stuttgart. In the 1930s and again in the 1950s, the Swabian dialect, along with English and Italian, was part of the idiom of the race track. Along with a host of private drivers, there were also stars from every corner of the world making guest appearances behind the wheel of Mercedes race cars. Examples included Italians Luigi Fagioli and Piero Taruffi, Britons Dick Seaman, Stirling Moss and Peter Collins, the great Argentinean Juan Manuel Fangio, as well as the two Germans Hans Herrmann and Count Berghe von Trips, each of whom spent a very brief intermezzo with the Stuttgart marque – and this is to say nothing of our own era’s jet-set of international motor racing mercenaries.
Featuring 300 photographs, old and new, this is a comprehensive and fascinating compendium of the men and women who have driven for one of the world’s most important and successful racing teams.
Link
Runways & Racers – Sports Car Races held on Military Airfields in America 1952-1954
In stock August 2010
By Terry O’Neil
Hardback • 25x25cm • 208 pages • 160 pictures
ISBN: 978-1-845842-55-0
£ 35.00
Runways and Racers concentrates on the short transitional period, 1952-1954, for sports car racing in America following the ban on public road racing in many of the States. The ban left the rapidly expanding Sports Car Club of America with a problem: where to hold races. At precisely the same time, Curtis LeMay, head of Strategic Air Command, was having problems obtaining funds from Congress to improve conditions on the many air bases located around the country. The solution was a marriage of convenience, whereby the SCCA was allowed access to active SAC air bases to hold its race programmes. In return, the SAC base would receive the net profits from the event, which would be put into the Airmen’s Living Improvement Fund. As a result of some initial financial success for the SAC bases, the scheme was also adopted by non-SAC bases together with regional clubs, with the same agreement in place.
Complaints from airmen alerted Congressman Errett Scrivner to potential irregularities, and he ordered an audit to be conducted to ascertain precisely what it was costing the air bases to host the races. His findings led to the cessation of the races, ordered by Congress.
The product of a long period of extensive research by the author, this book gives a fascinating insight into this two-year period, complemented by over 150 period pictures, many previously unpublished.
Link

#4612 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,423 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 14:18

New books:
Runways & Racers – Sports Car Races held on Military Airfields in America 1952-1954
In stock August 2010
By Terry O’Neil
Hardback • 25x25cm • 208 pages • 160 pictures
ISBN: 978-1-845842-55-0
£ 35.00

Having been delighted with Mr. O'Neil's Nassau book, I eagerly anticipate seeing this book which should certainly tell about a fascinating piece of US racing history that to my knowledge has not had a book dedicted to it.
Tom

#4613 ERault

ERault

• 331 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 16:37

Having been delighted with Mr. O'Neil's Nassau book, I eagerly anticipate seeing this book which should certainly tell about a fascinating piece of US racing history that to my knowledge has not had a book dedicted to it.
Tom

Very good news and the Nassau book was wonderful indeed.

Joel Finn had a good pair of books with his "American Road Racing", up to the end of 1950. Do you know if he has plan to keep the serie going ?

#4614 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 19:29

Today I picked up a new book by German publisher Delius Klasing on the Porsche 917. Authored by Porsche development engineer Walter Näher with a forword by Hans Mezger (also a new book by Peter Morgan on Mezger will be out soon). Even if are not fluent in German, I think this tome (almost 600 pages, with many wonderful pictures from the Porsche archive) is worth picking up. And at EUR 59.-- , a real bargain. For the publishers link, see below.

http://www.delius-kl... 917.11063.html

#4615 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,405 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:06

Today I picked up a new book by German publisher Delius Klasing on the Porsche 917. Authored by Porsche development engineer Walter Näher with a forword by Hans Mezger (also a new book by Peter Morgan on Mezger will be out soon). Even if are not fluent in German, I think this tome (almost 600 pages, with many wonderful pictures from the Porsche archive) is worth picking up. And at EUR 59.-- , a real bargain. For the publishers link, see below.

http://www.delius-kl... 917.11063.html

Thanks for the tip. I'm beginning to wonder how much more new information can be out there to justify any more books about the fabulous 917.

Jack.

#4616 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,003 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 22:58

Jack:

Two years ago I was all hot to write a book on the 917. Now I'm glad I didn't!

I was more impressed than I expected by Porsche 917, The Complete Photographic History, by Smale, because it contains so much in-period photography, probably something from every race a 917 ever ran. Decent captions, too.

Frank

#4617 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:05

More newish books in French.
---------------------------------------------------
Spa Francorchamps - Histoire d'un circuit, de 1886 à nos jours (nouvelle édition)
Editions Luc Pire - Tourisme
René Bovy, Théo Galle et Herman Maudoux
Prix TTC : 39,50 euros
ISBN : 9782507002510
Format : 24,5 x 29,5 cm
Nombre de pages : 208
Depôt legal : D-2009-6840-92
Code barres : 9782507002510
Code Sodis : 00007157798
Parution Belgique: 16/07/2009
Link
---------------------------------------------------
Grand Prix de Bordeaux de Formule 1
(Frederick LLORENS)
Pages : 80
N° ISBN : 9782951995550
9.95€
Fangio, Ascari, Trintignant, Behra ou encore Moss sur leurs Ferrari, Gordini ou Maserati. Une vision classique du championnat du monde de Formule 1 des années 1950...
Mais cette course se dispute à Bordeaux, sur ses Quais et autour de la Place des Quinconces ! De 1951 à 1955, la capitale Girondine est en effet le cadre d'un Grand Prix de Formule 1.
Retrouvez, ou découvrez, ces épreuves disputés dans une ville symbole de la naissance du sport automobile.
Dans mon quatrième livre sur l'histoire du sport automobile, l'histoire de Bordeaux, ma ville, est également très présente.
Link

The same author has three other books published: Les femmes pilotes de Formule 1; Wolf Racing un loup en Formule 1; and Numéro 27 une légende de la Formule1.
He has a forthcoming book, "Rebaque le Mexique en Formule 1", due out on Dec. 15 according to this website.
The same page mentions this, due on Nov. 13:
Fiat en grand prix : 1920-1930
Sébastien Faurès
Ed. ETAI,
250 p.,
44, 00 €
Une découverte des études, des projets, des constructions et de la technologie de l'industriel turinois dans les années 1920.

#4618 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:38

New Porsche book on the types 718 and 804 in November from McKlein.
German/English,price 59.90 Euros

Link:http://www.rallyandracing.com/oxid.php/sid/12c597c4010394fa75181718a84be12e/cl/alist/cnid/465887490ff5d1.19222468/subshop/racingwebshop/start/1

Best regards Michael

#4619 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:49

THAT is an ambitious program! Look forward to it.
Tom

Just a note to say that Paul says that the current publishing schedule for the Lister-Jaguar book proved to be impossible and it has now been delayed until Spring 2010. This should also result in an even better book as new material has come to light recently from Brian Lister and others.

Pre-ordering is still available via Paul's web site or phone.

Advertisement

#4620 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 20:23

Have any of you read this book yet? If so how is it?
Stealing Speed: The biggest spy scandal in Motorsport History, by Mat Oxley

#4621 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,423 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 20:20

Michael Argetsinger, author of the acclaimed Mark Donohue book released earlier this year, is pleased to announce that the photo biography of Mark Donohue that is to be the companion book to his earlier book has received the go-ahead from David Bull Publishing. Argetsinger accumulated some 4,250 photos in preparation for his Donohue book, and 40 selected shots were in that book. Michael will now cull through the remaining 4200 and select a few hundred pictures which will form the core of this second book. Michael will write a short narrative to connect the photos and to set the scene, while the pictures themselves will tell the story with detailed captions. It should be an excellent compliment to the largely text Donohue Biography previously written by Argetsinger.

This photo history of Mark Donohue will be rolled out by David Bull Publishing and Michael Argetsinger at this July, 2010, Mark Donohue celebration at Road America.

Tom

#4622 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,060 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 20:27

People keep giving me books I've already got!

Does anybody want Bugatti Queen by Miranda Seymour or Grand Prix Racing - the enthusiast's companion by Anthony Pritchard? If so, drop me a PM.

#4623 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,405 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:52

This photo history of Mark Donohue will be rolled out by David Bull Publishing and Michael Argetsinger at this July, 2010, Mark Donohue celebration at Road America.

Tom

Thank God. My checkbook has a few months to recover from this year's purchases....

Jack

#4624 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 14:41

Coming Soon
The long awaited for, second edition of the book "the Jaguar XK in
Australia" is in fact 1/3 of a 3 volume trilogly.
This just on 500 page, large size format 335 x 247mm full colour book covers
the histories of some almost 1000 XK120's in Africa, Asia, Australia/NZ and
South America.
It contains almost 1,100 photos of which only 25 appear in the original volume.

Posted Image
tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Edited by terry mcgrath, 26 October 2009 - 14:53.

#4625 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:10

Just a note to say that Paul says that the current publishing schedule for the Lister-Jaguar book proved to be impossible and it has now been delayed until Spring 2010. This should also result in an even better book as new material has come to light recently from Brian Lister and others.

Pre-ordering is still available via Paul's web site or phone.

Just passing on the info below from Paul Skilleter on his Lister-Jaguar book:

Delaying publication of the Lister book is allowing me to include a whole bunch of additional stuff that Brian has unearthed, and it's also an opportunity to perhaps expand pictorial coverage of the US Lister racing scene.

Thanks to Terry McGrath, I have managed to get hold of a good lot of Art Huttinger pics, but am still a bit thin on photos showing the earlier Jaguar-engined cars in action (before most of the drivers shoved in Corvette units, which they seem to have done pretty universally in the 1960s). Obviously I will pay for good images, if the cost is not exorbitant - it's just a matter of finding sources.

Actually, I hadn't intended to include much on Listers in the US, because it's a major subject on its own, but some augmenting of the existing coverage wouldn't go amiss. By the way, the public launch of the book could be at Race Retro, Stoneleigh on 12-14 March next year - I've been told it's a good show but opinions welcome. The plan would be to get some Listers there along with a photo exhibition or similar.

#4626 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 00:02

Have any of you read this book yet? If so how is it?
Stealing Speed: The biggest spy scandal in Motorsport History, by Mat Oxley

I guess no one has read it...
Considering you lot seem to know everything about anything that involves racing.

From amazon...

This is the compelling story of how one of Japan's biggest motorcycle manufacturers stole a Nazi rocket scientist's engine secrets from behind the Iron Curtain to conquer the world. In 1961, with the Cold War at its height, East German motorcycle manufacturer MZ was using World War II rocket technology to win Grands Prix, only for rider Ernst Degner to defect and sell the secrets to Suzuki, while his wife and children were drugged and smuggled through the Berlin Wall. The following year Suzuki and Degner made history by winning the world title. Branded a traitor by the communists, Degner suffered horrific injuries in a fiery racing accident and died in mysterious circumstances.

Also is this whom the corner is named after? It would seem so.

#4627 karlcars

karlcars

• 603 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 14:03

Just catching up, I see that someone asked about 'Porsche by Mailander' a while back. At the moment I'm discussing this with Dalton Watson, who plans to publish it, so I hope work will get under way later this year.

It is to be regretted that I won't have Rudy's help with this one, because he is no longer with us. Nevertheless I have his views and some superb Porsche photography.

For Dalton Watson a book on the history of the Rolls/Bentley pushrod V8 is in production and should see the light before long. It's quite a story as it turns out and we found lots of new and interesting information.

I've just finished the text of my book about the engineering activities of Colin Chapman for Haynes, some 150,000 words, and I'm now working on the photos for that.

New Iconografix books from the Ludvigsen Library are just out on the Ford Capri and Mercedes-Benz W196.

So I haven't been idle!

Karl Ludvigsen

#4628 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 14:25

Just catching up, I see that someone asked about 'Porsche by Mailander' a while back. At the moment I'm discussing this with Dalton Watson, who plans to publish it, so I hope work will get under way later this year.

It is to be regretted that I won't have Rudy's help with this one, because he is no longer with us. Nevertheless I have his views and some superb Porsche photography.

For Dalton Watson a book on the history of the Rolls/Bentley pushrod V8 is in production and should see the light before long. It's quite a story as it turns out and we found lots of new and interesting information.

I've just finished the text of my book about the engineering activities of Colin Chapman for Haynes, some 150,000 words, and I'm now working on the photos for that.

New Iconografix books from the Ludvigsen Library are just out on the Ford Capri and Mercedes-Benz W196.

So I haven't been idle!

Karl Ludvigsen

Karl, I would like to see a book on Auto Union/Audi racecars, similar in style to PEWE & Quicksilver.

#4629 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,199 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 14:26

I can sense bank balance depletion coming on.

This is probably an unfair question to ask the author, but how will the approach and content compare with Hugh Haskell's work Colin Chapman - Lotus Engineering?

#4630 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 19:15

Thanks for the tip. I'm beginning to wonder how much more new information can be out there to justify any more books about the fabulous 917.

Jack.

Agreed - it's quite a book. I like the use of extended captions to tell the story. It's a book you can continually dip in to.
Nathan

#4631 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,003 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 22:44

Friends:

For anyone interested in the finest description of the early life of Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, Karl's book Ferdinand Porsche--Genesis of Genius is now out in a "popular" edition at $99.95. The first edition, limited to 500 numbered copies and costing considerably more, quickly sold out last fall. The biggest difference in the two editions that I noted was that this less expensive one uses black-and-white printing, not the duotone as in the first. The most impressive text describes Porsche's early career, up to 1933, with plenty of great but never before seen photographs and drawings.

Frank
www.toadhallbook.com
fbarrett@aol.com
303/237-0911

#4632 karlcars

karlcars

• 603 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 14:23

How will my Chapman book relate to the Hugh Haskell book? I guess my answer has to be that I've done my best to understand and explain not only what Chapman did but how and why he did it and where his ideas came from.

I also deal with topics like his management style, his driver relationships and his approach to racing.

An Auto Union book on the lines of my other work? The outline is written but I haven't yet been able to get the assurance that I need from Audi that I'll have the necessary access. I've been working on it for a long time! Thanks for the encouragement!

#4633 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,405 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 20:05

Here's a book that may interest some.

http://www.velocetod...m/archives/3203

Jack

#4634 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,003 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:50

Jack:

If you haven't been to the Simeone collecton, it's worth a trip. In 2008 I went to Hershey for the first time in years then followed up with a visit to the museum. While we were there, they were photographing cars for the book. Dr. Simeone himself happened to be there, and he's a true automotive historian, a major book collector. The museum is next to the Philadelphia airport, so it's easy for out-of-towners to reach.

Frank

#4635 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 16:21

Just a general question as I put together my Christmas wish list--has anybody reading Winning, the recently published book about Paul Newman's racing career?

#4636 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,003 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 18:41

Friends:

Here's a press release on Speedreaders.info, a new automotive book review site:

NEW WEB-SITE FOR AUTHORS, PUBLISHERS AND READERS

"Introducing a serious site for serious readers, writers and publishers of automotive and transportation books. SpeedReaders.info is a new web site that publishes reviews of automotive and transportation books and other media such as DVDs and videos. Topics covered at SpeedReaders.info include automobiles, motorcycles, trucks, buses, trains, boats and ships, airplanes and aviation. Also transportation technology and artwork as well as racing, rallying, adventure stories, history and biographies.

"Many magazines and periodicals serving the transportation industry and hobby mention new books, often merely repeating the publisher's marketing descriptions. Until SpeedReaders.info there has not been one single, comprehensive source with a range of
balanced, unbiased and carefully written reviews. SpeedReaders.info has been created to provide that one, comprehensive, "go-to" source for everyone: hobbyists, publishers, recreational readers, academicians, etc.

"The reviews on the SpeedReaders.info site discuss what the work is about, why it was created or written, as well as identifying the intended audience for each book or other media. Reviews also comment on how well written, filmed, or assembled the book or production appears, and whether it is factual, informative, useful, entertaining and enjoyable. Reviews of new and recent works predominate however many classic and out-of-print books are included, too.

"The SpeedReaders.info site is anchored by experienced journalist/enthusiasts, each of whom are long-standing, actively published members of the Society of Automotive Historians (SAH).

"Kevin Clemens, engineer, journalist, author, and adventurer, has driven north of the Arctic Circle in the dead of winter, across the searing deserts of China in the heat of summer, through the perils of the republics of the former Soviet Union, over treacherous roads in the Andes Mountains, in forty-eight countries and fifty states. He is a magazine editor, publisher, and the author of seven books.

"Helen V Hutchings, an avid reader, is a seasoned and experienced writer/editor who has had articles published in a variety of trade and consumer publications. She has edited books, worked as managing editor, editor, and features writer at several magazines and periodicals. Prior to focusing exclusively on writing and editing, she handled western region (which the company defined as all area west of the Mississippi River) public relations for a major international corporation.

"They are joined by:

"Frank Barrett: has read and collected automotive books since he was six-years old, and they have formed a major part of his life. Frank edited and published The Star, the award-winning national magazine of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America for 25 years. His writing and photography have also appeared in numerous publications and he’s authored two books. Frank has run Toad Hall Motorbooks, selling new and old books on Porsche and Mercedes-Benz since 1978.

"David Woodhouse: admits to sixty years of fascination with automotive and aviation history, with a particular interest in the years between the World Wars. He has contributed to many books, periodicals, and club publications in the motorsports field. An
active parachutist and pilot in his younger days, he now finds excitement through the printed page and the occasional spirited drive in a vintage automobile."

The site is just launching, and new reviews will be added at a rapid rate. Note that it covers new and out-of-print titles.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 05 November 2009 - 18:42.

#4637 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 19:27

Friends:

"Introducing a serious site for serious readers, writers and publishers of automotive and transportation books. SpeedReaders.info is a new web site that publishes reviews of automotive and transportation books and other media such as DVDs and videos. Topics covered at SpeedReaders.info include automobiles, motorcycles, trucks, buses, trains, boats and ships, airplanes and aviation. Also transportation technology and artwork as well as racing, rallying, adventure stories, history and biographies.

The site is just launching, and new reviews will be added at a rapid rate. Note that it covers new and out-of-print titles.

Frank

Frank

This sounds like an excellent website, hopefully it will be a great success.

I look forward to seeing how it will develop.

Matt

#4638 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:04

Mike Oliver's new book; video interview
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
Roger Lund

#4639 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 16:41

one book who need badly to be reprint is " trans-am pony cars war by Dave Friedman" they are ridiculously expensive , btw i never saw one in the flesh ,i just assume that its a good book base on some other Friedman book that i have

Edited by philippe charuest, 06 November 2009 - 16:42.

Advertisement

#4640 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 19:31

one book who need badly to be reprint is " trans-am pony cars war by Dave Friedman" they are ridiculously expensive , btw i never saw one in the flesh ,i just assume that its a good book base on some other Friedman book that i have

I had no idea things had gotten that out of hand, pricewise. I purchased my copy when it came out, and it's typical Friedman--if you enjoy his other works, you'll enjoy this one.

#4641 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,405 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:20

Frank: Thanks for the heads-up! I'll be bookmarking the site for sure.

Perhps you would consider adding a section for collectible books and limited editions in the future.

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 07 November 2009 - 03:27.

#4642 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 15:35

This sounds like an excellent website, hopefully it will be a great success.

I look forward to seeing how it will develop.

As do I. I've bookmarked it, and am looking forward to seeing what additional books are "reviewed." My only concern so far is that the reviews I looked at read more like ad copy than criticism--not all of those books are that good.

#4643 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,291 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 18:31

My only concern so far is that the reviews I looked at read more like ad copy than criticism--not all of those books are that good.

It wasn't just me then. I find it difficult to believe that anyone could write an uncritical review of Brock Yates' Against Death and Time. :rolleyes:

#4644 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,003 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 18:36

Friends:

Feel free to leave your comments on the site!

Frank

#4645 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 18:52

It wasn't just me then. I find it difficult to believe that anyone could write an uncritical review of Brock Yates' Against Death and Time. :rolleyes:

I just submitted a comment on the review of the particular book. I can only recommend the book for the recycling bin.

#4646 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 20:27

:lol:

That was one of the books I was thinking about, too.

#4647 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 20:54

Friends:

Feel free to leave your comments on the site!

Frank

Thanks Frank. That is a useful feature. I took advantage of the opportunity and was not surprised to find that the Colonel had beaten me to it!

#4648 # 0

# 0

• 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 16:14

Friends:

"Many magazines and periodicals serving the transportation industry and hobby mention new books, often merely repeating the publisher's marketing descriptions. Until SpeedReaders.info there has not been one single, comprehensive source with a range of
balanced, unbiased and carefully written reviews. SpeedReaders.info has been created to provide that one, comprehensive, "go-to" source for everyone: hobbyists, publishers, recreational readers, academicians, etc.

"The reviews on the SpeedReaders.info site discuss what the work is about, why it was created or written, as well as identifying the intended audience for each book or other media. Reviews also comment on how well written, filmed, or assembled the book or production appears, and whether it is factual, informative, useful, entertaining and enjoyable. Reviews of new and recent works predominate however many classic and out-of-print books are included, too.

"The SpeedReaders.info site is anchored by experienced journalist/enthusiasts, each of whom are long-standing, actively published members of the Society of Automotive Historians (SAH).

"Kevin Clemens, engineer, journalist, author, and adventurer, has driven north of the Arctic Circle in the dead of winter, across the searing deserts of China in the heat of summer, through the perils of the republics of the former Soviet Union, over treacherous roads in the Andes Mountains, in forty-eight countries and fifty states. He is a magazine editor, publisher, and the author of seven books.

"Helen V Hutchings, an avid reader, is a seasoned and experienced writer/editor who has had articles published in a variety of trade and consumer publications. She has edited books, worked as managing editor, editor, and features writer at several magazines and periodicals. Prior to focusing exclusively on writing and editing, she handled western region (which the company defined as all area west of the Mississippi River) public relations for a major international corporation.

"They are joined by:

"Frank Barrett: has read and collected automotive books since he was six-years old, and they have formed a major part of his life. Frank edited and published The Star, the award-winning national magazine of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America for 25 years. His writing and photography have also appeared in numerous publications and he’s authored two books. Frank has run Toad Hall Motorbooks, selling new and old books on Porsche and Mercedes-Benz since 1978.

"David Woodhouse: admits to sixty years of fascination with automotive and aviation history, with a particular interest in the years between the World Wars. He has contributed to many books, periodicals, and club publications in the motorsports field. An
active parachutist and pilot in his younger days, he now finds excitement through the printed page and the occasional spirited drive in a vintage automobile."

Frank

It would be helpful to have a link to that site! :confused:

#4649 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,003 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 17:05

It would be helpful to have a link to that site! :confused:

http://www.speedreaders.info

Frank

#4650 # 0

# 0

• 60 posts