Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7924 replies to this topic

#4651 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 430 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:43

Was there ever a book about the various cars featuring the iconic Martini Racing logo?

Advertisement

#4652 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,507 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:52

Two.

Martini Racing Story 1968-82 by Daniel Briand and Martini Racing Story 1983-87 by Paolo D'Alessio.

There also seems to have been a compilation volume of the two (or perhaps a third one). Check ABEbooks for prices and availability. None of them are plentiful - nor cheap!

#4653 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,053 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 14:35

Two.

Martini Racing Story 1968-82 by Daniel Briand and Martini Racing Story 1983-87 by Paolo D'Alessio.

There also seems to have been a compilation volume of the two (or perhaps a third one). Check ABEbooks for prices and availability. None of them are plentiful - nor cheap!

The earlier of the two, probably both, are large books, and very well illustrated. I seem to remember not just good coverage of, for example, Porsches, Brabhams, Tecnos etc but also Martini's involvement in power boat racing. There's a reasonably priced copy for sale on Amazon at the moment.

#4654 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 430 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 00:25

To Vitesse2 and John Winfield, thanks for the tip.

#4655 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 400 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:54

Next to the 1983-1987 D'Alessio book, I also have a small book (DIN A4 size oblong, 70 pages, hardbound) published by Martini Racing in 1990 with very nice D'Alessio drawings of the Porsche 907, 908/02, 917 KH ("Hippie"), 917 LH, 917 KH 1971, 908/03, Tecno PA 123/1, Porsche Carrera RSR, Tecno PA 123/5, Tecno PA 123/6, Porsche Carrera RSR Turbo, Porsche 917 Interserie, Porsche 908/4 Turbo, Brabham BT 44B, Porsche 935, Porsche 936, Brabham BT 45B, Porsche 936, Porsche 935 "Baby", Porsche 935 "Moby Dick", Porsche 911 SC "Safari", Lotus 79, Lotus 80, Lancia Beta Montecarlo, Lancia Gp. 6, Lancia LC2, Lancia Rally 037, Lancia Delta S4, Lancia Delta HF 4WD, Lancia Delta HF Integrale and Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V. The book is tri-ligual (French, English, Italian), the cover is white with the Martini Racing stripes over it and a laurel with the years 1969/1989.

#4656 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 18:12

Glad I'm not judging the Book Category. I helped read Mike's manuscript and Carlos
used four of my photographs of Pedro in his book. Congradulations and good luck to all the finalists.

Dean Batchelor Award Finalists 2009 ...

Motor Press Guild selects 2009 Dean Batchelor Award Finalists

LOS ANGELES, Nov., 10, 2009 – The Los Angeles-based Motor Press Guild (MPG) today announced its
2009 Dean Batchelor Award finalists. Established in 1995, the Dean Batchelor Award recognizes excellence
in automotive journalism as exemplified by the man it is named after–Dean Batchelor.

The Award singles out individuals demonstrating outstanding achievement in the profession of automotive journalism.
Each year MPG presents the Dean Batchelor Award to the journalist judged to have produced the single piece of work
which best represents the professional standards and excellence demanded by Dean Batchelor during his life as an editor,
writer, and chronicler of the automotive industry. The winner of each category receives the MPG Best of the Year award
in that category. The Dean Batchelor Award is then chosen from among the four category winners.

The 2009 finalists are:

Article Category
Tim Considine, "Inside ESPN", Road & Track, April 2009
Preston Lerner, "The Joy of Slow," Automobile Magazine, March 2009
Pete Lyons, "Remembering a Champion," Vintage Racecar Magazine, November 2008

Audio/Visual Category
Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman, Aston Martin V12 Vantage, Top Gear, August 2, 2009
Keith Cossrow and Bennett Viseltear, Truth in 24, March 2009
Will Roegge, Climb Attack, July 2009

Book Category
Michael Argetsinger, Mark Donohue, Technical Excellence at Speed, David Bull Publishing
Carlos Jalife-Villalon, The Brothers Rodriguez, David Bull Publishing
Ralph Kramer, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, 100 Years of Racing, Krause Publications

Photography Category
Scott Jacobs, Ford GT500 at Sears Point, InsideLine.com, April 15, 2009
Alison Merion, Drifting, driftlive.com, August 30, 2009
Kurt Niebuhr, Two Legends Face Off, 2010 Ford Mustang vs 2009 Nissan 370Z, Edmunds.com, March 10, 2009

The Best of the Year and Batchelor awards are given at the annual awards banquet, this year scheduled for December 8th at
the Automotive Driving Museum in El Segundo.

In addition, the Dean Batchelor Lifetime Achievement Award, selected separately by the Motor Press Guild Board of Directors,
is presented on a case-by-case basis to individuals for outstanding contributions to the automotive communications industry.

The Dean Batchelor Award was first presented posthumously to Dean Batchelor in 1995 for his seminal book on hot rodding,
The American Hot Rod, which was published after his death in 1994.

[/size]

#4657 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 22:59

Glad I'm not judging the Book Category. Book Category
Michael Argetsinger, Mark Donohue, Technical Excellence at Speed, David Bull Publishing
Carlos Jalife-Villalon, The Brothers Rodriguez, David Bull Publishing
Ralph Kramer, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, 100 Years of Racing, Krause Publications

You're not kidding! Haven't seen the Indy book, but the other two will be tough competitors. Much as I like the Donohue book, the Rodriguez book must have taken many years of research and writing, so I'll predict that it will win.

Dean Batchelor was a friend from 1983 until he passed away, always willing to give great professional advice. I met him on my first Mercedes-Benz press trip, and we shared a 190E from The Homestead to Indy. When I got into the car to drive, Dean said, "Take off your sport coat and hang it on the back of the seat, so it won't be wrinkled for tonight's cocktail party." I was a nobody, but he introduced me to all of his journo-pals, including R&T editor Tony Hogg, who passed away unexpectedly two weeks later. He also contributed some great articles for the magazine (The Star) and was always a joy to talk with and work with. When my book Shelby Cars in Detail was nominated last year, it meant a lot.

Here's to Dean!

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 17 November 2009 - 23:01.

#4658 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 14:30

I haven't read Kramer's book, but between the other two, if I were the judge, the award would go to Jalife-Villalon. Whoever did the translation should get an award too because the book is so well written, it's almost as if it was originally done in English.

Jack

#4659 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 14:55

Has anyone seen the Kramer book? I own copies of the first two and fully understand why they were nominated. If the Kramer book is as good I wouldn't mind adding it to my Christmas list.

Advertisement

#4660 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,965 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 19:56

Has anyone seen the Kramer book? I own copies of the first two and fully understand why they were nominated. If the Kramer book is as good I wouldn't mind adding it to my Christmas list.

Part way through it now. It's a bit too "coffee table" for my liking, but has plenty of stunning pics I'd never seen before. It's relatively cheap too.

#4661 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 22:17

I've been advised that I will receive Derek Lawson's book "Formula 5000, back then back now" tomorrow by WHS. All pigs fed and ready to fly??? :wave:

#4662 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 23:58

I've been advised that I will receive Derek Lawson's book "Formula 5000, back then back now" tomorrow by WHS. All pigs fed and ready to fly??? :wave:

Hope you will post suitable comments about my totally splendid photographic contributions; buddy can you spare a dime.............? :cool:

Seriously, I know how much Derek has put into this one; it really deserves to succeed.

#4663 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 14:09

Hope you will post suitable comments about my totally splendid photographic contributions; buddy can you spare a dime.............? :cool:

Seriously, I know how much Derek has put into this one; it really deserves to succeed.

Received the book today, and on initial inspection it looks excellent indeed! :up: Hope to get Derek to sign it a tonight's meeting! :clap:

#4664 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:28

New book:

Fiat en Grand Prix ( 1920 - 1930)
Par Sébastien Faurès
ETAI 2009
192 pages
format 240 x 290
44 € (Euro)

Link

#4665 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 17:04

Today at a model and toy swapmeet (of all places) I bought a brand new copy of Stirling Moss: All my races for the princely sum of £10 :)
But when I got it home, somebody snaffled it and said "I'm putting that away for someone to give you for Christmas" :mad:

#4666 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 492 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 13:47

Web site now up and running
www.jtpublications.com.au

Coming Very Soon
The long awaited for, second edition of the book "the Jaguar XK in
Australia" is in fact 1/3 of a 3 volume trilogy.
This just on 500 page, large size format 335mm x 247mm, full colour book - covers
the histories of some almost 1000 XK120's in Africa, Asia, Australia/NZ and
South America.
It contains almost 1,100 photos of which only 25 appear in the original volume.

Posted Image
tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Edited by terry mcgrath, 23 November 2009 - 13:48.

#4667 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 17:28

I couldn't find a price anywhere Terry...

#4668 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 492 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:24

david,
we sort have only just finalised that it is $375 australian dollars post paid NZ, UK, Europe, Nth America this is by sending books in bulk seafrieght to UK and USA and then posting from there.
Some people can't wait and are wanting books airmailed straight to them
Now for the XK140 volume!
terry

I couldn't find a price anywhere Terry...

Web site now up and running
www.jtpublications.com.au

#4669 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,127 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 16:05

Finally coming next August.

Autodrome 2

Looks like it includes (from text and cover pic)
Rouen-Les-Essarts
Solitude
North Wilkesboro Speedway.
Opel Rennbahn in Germany
Targa Florio
Birmingham
Sitges
Augusta

Edited by Mark A, 27 November 2009 - 16:10.

#4670 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 21:08

Books I'd like to see published (soon):

Richie Ginther biography by an authoritative knowledgeable biographer

Collier Collection: all the cars, with superb photography; period photographs; with text by DCN and Miles Collier; big, expensive and worth it

A definitive, scholarly account of the demise of General Motors, with an honest assessment of the roles of management, unionists, marketers and dealers

A revision of the Ferrari 250GTO book by Bluemel and Pourret to include updated owner information and coverage of the reunions

Anyone else have a wish list?

Jack

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 27 November 2009 - 21:09.

#4671 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 21:44

A revision of the Ferrari 250GTO book by Bluemel and Pourret to include updated owner information and coverage of the reunions

I'd just settle for that last one. I was idly browsing Amazon earlier today, and looked up Keith Bluemel's Ferrari 250 GTO book, long out of print of course. There's one used copy on offer, asking price is £705, and the seller is asking for £2.75 postage on top of that. I must be worth more than I thought, my copy of that book was a surprise present from my dear wife last Christmas, and I'd guess she'd have paid around one tenth of that.

#4672 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:27

I'd just settle for that last one. I was idly browsing Amazon earlier today, and looked up Keith Bluemel's Ferrari 250 GTO book, long out of print of course. There's one used copy on offer, asking price is £705, and the seller is asking for £2.75 postage on top of that. I must be worth more than I thought, my copy of that book was a surprise present from my dear wife last Christmas, and I'd guess she'd have paid around one tenth of that.

Perhaps we shouldn't wish for a revision....it migh de-value our first editions!

Jack

#4673 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 14:23

Collier Collection: all the cars, with superb photography; period photographs; with text by DCN and Miles Collier; big, expensive and worth it

Not really what you are asking for, I know, but the book Cunningham, published sometime in the 1990s by MBI, contained many full page photos of cars out of the Collier Collection. A stop gap until the real thing comes out.

Add to the list: I would really like to see a definitive history of Shadow cars. It would be very interesting, what with Don Nichols' CIA connections, wheeling and dealing, back room shenanigans, alleged contract breaches, etc., etc. Probably all reasons why it wouldn't be done. Oh yes, the race cars and the history of Shadow race cars too!

Tom

#4674 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 15:46

Wouldn't the collection at that stage been merely those cars acquired from the Cunningham museum?
I think it has greatly expanded since then

#4675 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,144 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 16:05

Perhaps we shouldn't wish for a revision....it migh de-value our first editions!

Jack

Hello Jack,
for the multilingual, there is still the Italian Version of the GTO book, for 46 Euros. At Nada.
http://www.libreriad...asp?IDBook=1923
Regards Michael

#4676 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 17:25

Add to the list: I would really like to see a definitive history of Shadow cars. It would be very interesting, what with Don Nichols' CIA connections, wheeling and dealing, back room shenanigans, alleged contract breaches, etc., etc. Probably all reasons why it wouldn't be done. Oh yes, the race cars and the history of Shadow race cars too!

Tom

Yes, a Shadow history would be good, though somewhat unlikely I suspect - or the most interesting bits would have to be withheld.

I'd like to see Jackie Oliver put pen to paper. Lotus, BRM, JW, Shadow and then the Arrows story would make a fascinating book and I suspect that Oliver would tell the tale amusingly and in a very non-PC way.

Then, there are three biographies / autobiographies that have been mentioned previously on this thread which I hope will be not too much longer before they appear: those of Brian Redman, Howden Ganley and Peter Warr. Any update from anyone on these?

#4677 Tom V

Tom V

• 26 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 18:49

Anyone else have a wish list?

Jack

A biography on Jacky Ickx, that one has been long overdue. I think his career was versatile and succesful enough to deserve one. Years ago Veloce publishing announced that Johnny Tipler was working on one, but I think that it will never materialise.

#4678 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 19:37

I agree about Jacky Ickx, a great driver undervalued by history, but one of my all-time favourites Denny Hulme, has never been blessed with a competent biography. Denny was a remarkable man when you got to know him, he could beat almost anyone on his day, and he had quite a few of those. Eoin Young's work was a bit of a cut & paste potboiler, not much of an epitaph to a man like Denny, he deserves something very much better. Yet again, I find myself championing Phil Kerr's most excellent book To Finish First. I's nearly all about McLaren of course, but in my opinion it's one of the best books ever written about racing as it really is. Am I the only person on this thread who rates it highly?

#4679 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 20:25

Wouldn't the collection at that stage been merely those cars acquired from the Cunningham museum?
I think it has greatly expanded since then

That is my understanding. The photos are nice, the selection is extensive, but certainly does not cover everything.
Tom

Advertisement

#4680 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 21:33

Seconded. :up:

Or, eh, thirded. And like jph I'd like to see a Jackie Oliver bio.

While we're compiling a "wouldn't it be nice" list, how about:

1. A treatment of A.J. Foyt along the lines of Gordon Kirby's Mario Andretti bio.
2. A Roger Penske biography.
3. A book about the Audi sports car teams of the last decade.

Finally, I really liked To Finish First too.

#4681 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 22:55

Yes, Penske and Nichols/Shadow books should have been on my list too.

Jack

#4682 proviz

proviz

• 222 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:03

Shadow has been on my wish list for a long time, but the subject I'd most like to see covered in a decent book is ATS/Serenissima - and come to think of it: all cars Count Volpi was involved with. Also, we've yet to see comprehensive competition histories of Japanese makes like Nissan and Toyota.

#4683 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 17:03

Shadow has been on my wish list for a long time, but the subject I'd most like to see covered in a decent book is ATS/Serenissima - and come to think of it: all cars Count Volpi was involved with. Also, we've yet to see comprehensive competition histories of Japanese makes like Nissan and Toyota.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before or not. I'd like to see a book of potted biographies of the 20 winners of a single grand prix: Alesi, Baghetti, Bandini, Bonnier - - - Scarfiotti, Taruffi . (but obviously not anyone still racing. there's some interesting stories there).

#4684 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,716 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 18:44

I'd be more interested in those who have a single Grand Prix start; Vonlanthen, Jean Max, Mazet, Montgomerie-Charrington et al. Even better, those who had non-championship races alone...Wal Ever, Mario Pandolfo...guessing the market for such a volume would be quite small though.

#4685 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 18:48

1. A treatment of A.J. Foyt along the lines of Gordon Kirby's Mario Andretti bio.

.....one that would be better than A.J.'s autobiography of a couple decades ago which exhausted the use of the first person pronoun.....
Tom

#4686 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 19:20

2. A Roger Penske biography.

Yes, that one is high on my list, too. The reason that such a book has not appeared by now is certainly not for various authors' lack of trying but mainly because RP is "too busy" to sit still long enough. Not necessarily a bad thing, as he continues to accomplish so much!

Frank

#4687 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 19:57

.....one that would be better than A.J.'s autobiography of a couple decades ago which exhausted the use of the first person pronoun.....
Tom

I had not quite thought of it that way, but yes, a new book couldn't help but be an improvement.

#4688 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 19:59

Yes, that one is high on my list, too. The reason that such a book has not appeared by now is certainly not for various authors' lack of trying but mainly because RP is "too busy" to sit still long enough. Not necessarily a bad thing, as he continues to accomplish so much!

Frank

That probably is the reason, but doesn't offer much comfort. Someone should just follow the man, if an author of such endurance exists. If we wait for Penske to settle down there may be no one left to talk to. He shows no signs of retiring and may well never do so, if he has anything to say about it.

#4689 tyrrellp346wheels

tyrrellp346wheels

• 574 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 20:48

I can't wait to the birmingham superprix book by ss colins and david page is released, witch is due sometime december :)

#4690 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 22:14

Tom

I was introduced to AJ once when I was at Lotus, his response was an all-time classic of me-ness, he actually said, "Hi there Rob, glad to have you meet me!" He was the most 'American' American I've ever met, but what a character. You couldn't help liking the guy, but he only had a single subject of conversation, himself.

#4691 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 23:37

I'd like to see:

1) A history of Trans-Am since 1985 (Bochroch's book stops at 1985, Friedman at 1972).
2) An affordable reprint of all nine volumes of "Rapiditas", the annual report of the Targa Florio 1906-1930.
3) A compendium of 4-view illustrations of all of the color schemes of all of the participants in NASCAR 1949-present.

Nos. 2 and 3 are likely to remain dreams....

#4692 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 23:49

3) A compendium of 4-view illustrations of all of the color schemes of all of the participants in NASCAR 1949-present.

Nos. 2 and 3 are likely to remain dreams....

No. 3 would likely be quite the multi-volume work. Though I'm surprised no one has done that for say, Gordon's cars, or Earnhardt's.

#4693 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 20:03

a wishlist , the same as last year. a book on lola history (a book not a dvd ) with all the models a litle bit like the Pritchard book on lotus or by period like the excellent Cooper cars of mr Nye, and most of all . a formula two history from 1947 to 1982 could be in two books or three. a book on harry schell and jean berha separatly or togheter like Mon ami mate

#4694 Tom V

Tom V

• 26 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 15:36

I find myself championing Phil Kerr's most excellent book To Finish First. I's nearly all about McLaren of course, but in my opinion it's one of the best books ever written about racing as it really is. Am I the only person on this thread who rates it highly?

A fantastic read indeed, I also rate it very highly. If I remember well the late Pete Fenelon described it as "a book which has the elements to become a classic".

Edited by Tom V, 01 December 2009 - 15:38.

#4695 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 17:48

A fantastic read indeed, I also rate it very highly. If I remember well the late Pete Fenelon described it as "a book which has the elements to become a classic".

with a great iconography including near twenty painting of the turners father and son

#4696 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,743 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:17

I'd just settle for that last one. I was idly browsing Amazon earlier today, and looked up Keith Bluemel's Ferrari 250 GTO book, long out of print of course. There's one used copy on offer, asking price is £705, and the seller is asking for £2.75 postage on top of that.

Interesting to note that an Italian bookshop has new copies available at £42.98, but I note that they are published by Nada so, presumably, an Italian translation.
http://www.abebooks....e...22&sortby=3

#4697 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:30

Interesting to note that an Italian bookshop has new copies available at £42.98, but I note that they are published by Nada so, presumably, an Italian translation.
http://www.abebooks....e...22&sortby=3

A friend tried them about a year ago. They told him they had no copies left, and they wouldn't ship outside Italy.

#4698 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 17:52

There are 2 copies on Amazon now at $800 and $1200. These sellers are either stupid, lazy, don't know the market, or are hoping to hook a big fish, because there are several copies on abe at less than $100, a perfectly reasonable price, IMO.

Jack

Surprised to see that, I've just looked on Abe myself, and there's only that Italian place advertising again. no-one else. I thought that Abe was international, I've bought several books from US sellers, so do you get a different version from the one we see? I can only guess where you might be as in common with many other TNFs, your profile is completely blank...

#4699 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 19:32

Surprised to see that, I've just looked on Abe myself, and there's only that Italian place advertising again. no-one else. I thought that Abe was international, I've bought several books from US sellers, so do you get a different version from the one we see? I can only guess where you might be as in common with many other TNFs, your profile is completely blank...

Mea culpa! Mea culpa! I completely mis-read the abe listings. I was inadvertently looking at the David Clarke books. Ugh!

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to delete my original post, if possible.

Jack (in Florida)

Advertisement

#4700 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,274 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 19:51

(in Florida)

Thanks.