• 1,432 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:50

Sorry its all about LISTERS.

Advertisement

#4852 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,198 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:57

... and Race Retro runs this year between 12th and 14th March.

#4853 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:27

Yes the launch is on the Friday.Hope to have some Listers on the stand along with Brian Lister and a lot of drivers both past and present

#4854 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 13:07

Ted, is there much on YCD422 in the new Lister book? I might be persuaded to buy a copy!!

#4855 -Japť-

-Japť-

• 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 19:33

Has someone read 'Ayrton Senna The Lotus Years' lately? I'd like to know if it is worth of ordering since it is going to be quite expensive to get it to Finland. Does this book bring any "new" information or rare seen photos, etc?

Edited by -Japé-, 31 January 2010 - 19:33.

#4856 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:06

Gregor I hope we have covered them all !!!!!! so yes BUY it .

#4857 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:33

I shall keep my eyes open for a copy, might be at Race Retro, so if so I will bring some used fivers with me.

#4858 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,838 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 21:29

Betty Lace was in fact Phoebe Elizabeth Mychreest (Maiden Name), she was at the time married to Jerry Macqueen but took the Lace name,
She later married Brian Carbury who became a famous ace in the Battle of Britain.

Thanks for that. Interesting. I also turned up a reference in The Times to Carbury being one of four pilots involved in a plot to export Beaufighters to Israel in August 1948. But without the approval of HM Government ....

Carbury and the other three pilots were each fined £100, but the unnamed instigator of the plot had entered Israel and not returned. And as the pilots had each apparently been paid £500 (although one said he'd done it for free!) perhaps crime does sometimes pay!

#4859 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 21:48

I have discovered after a little Googling that urea is used in some modern printing inks. Can anyone imagine why I have looked it up?

Advertisement

#4860 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:54

Thanks for that.

Richard, isn't this a better place?

#4861 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 20:53

I have discovered after a little Googling that urea is used in some modern printing inks. Can anyone imagine why I have looked it up?

Because you couldn't buy nitrogen anymore to fertilize your plants? That's what I bought it for anyway :)

#4862 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:16

Because you couldn't buy nitrogen anymore to fertilize your plants? That's what I bought it for anyway :)

Close: I was wondering what would be the effect of planting a recently-purchased book that reeks of urea. When I say "reeks" I mean that opening the pages in the absence of a strong following breeze renders the book unreadable. Gross.

They must have got the formula wrong.

#4863 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:39

A bit of a "plug" The long awaited Paul Skilleter(with the help of Ted Walker on photos) will be launched at Race Retro in April . It is very good(really)

A bit more info from Paul, some photos to follow later ....

Lister-Jaguar book to be launched at Race Retro, Stoneleigh, 12 -14 March!

Race Retro, the international historic motor sport show, will be the venue
for the launch of the Lister-Jaguar book. It takes place over the weekend
of 12 – 14 March at Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire, where there will be a
special display of Lister cars. Come and see the highly original ex-Peter
Mould/John Coundley ‘knobbly’ Lister-Jaguar YOB 575, the ex-Cunningham/Sebring
12 Hours Costin-bodied Lister-Jaguar recently purchased for $1.1m in the
USA, a Lister-Bristol, and a mighty 600bhp Jaguar V12-engined racing Lister
Storm. You will also get the chance to meet Brian Lister himself, who will
be appearing on the Lister stand at Race Retro on Friday, 12 March to sign
books and meet enthusiasts. A great chance to shake hands with a truly
significant personality in the story of Jaguar in motor racing!

For more details of the show, visit the race retro web site.

Written by Paul Skilleter, this is the first of PJ Publishing’s Jaguar Connoisseur pictorial series.
It is based on the largely-unpublished archives of Ted Walker’s Ferret Fotographics, augmented
by many additional photographs and memorabilia - most never seen before - supplied by
Brian Lister himself, and also by Edwin ‘Dick’ Barton, Lister’s first racing mechanic.

Through this extensive and unique selection of several hundred high-quality monochrome
photographs, plus rare period Kodachromes, the book tells how - often in his own words -
Brian Lister evolved a series of sports racing cars which culminated in the all-conquering
Lister-Jaguars of the late 1950s.

Also included is material on the remarkable Archie Scott Brown, the handicapped
motor racing hero who from almost nowhere, rose to take on established stars such as Stirling Moss,
Mike Hawthorn, Tony Brooks and Roy Salvadori - though his story is tinged with tragedy, as he
died in an accident at Spa in May 1958.

Chapters include:

* The Tojeiro-JAP and Brian Lister’s early motor sport adventures
* The first Listers: the Lister-MG, Lister-Maserati and Lister-Bristol
* Archie Scott Brown and the first Lister-Jaguar
* The Lister-Jaguar ‘knobbly’
* The Lister-Jaguar Costin
* Lister-Jaguars in historic racing
* Brian Lister's scrapbook
* The Le Mans Sunbeam Tigers
* The Lister story continued: Lister XJ-S and Lister Storm.

NB: Along with Paul, I'll be there on the Friday if anyone wants a co-signed Mike Hawthorn book.

Edited by tonyb, 06 February 2010 - 09:51.

#4864 ERault

ERault

• 331 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:13

The book "Porsche 917 - Archiv und Werkverzeichnis" seems to be the definitive one on the subject I was waiting for :

http://www.porsche.c...p;id=2009-09-24

Sadly it is only published in german. Does someone know if there is plan for an english (I can't hope for french...) translation ? Or do I really need to go back to school ?

#4865 proviz

proviz

• 208 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:03

Well, a few weeks back someone from Porsche did say "unfortunately there is not an English version YET". Not sure that it can be taken as assurance that there will be one, though.
I do agree this must rank as the definitive work on the subject. Out of print now, but the author has been talking of a second edition soon.

#4866 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 19:06

New book dealing with careers of Tony Maggs, Bruce Johnstone, Bill Jennings, etc. Mostly photos.

Posted Image

#4867 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,564 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 20:24

Marius, any details of ISBN, publisher, price etc? Is it likely to be available over here or ZA issue?
Roger Lund

#4868 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:20

Marius, any details of ISBN, publisher, price etc? Is it likely to be available over here or ZA issue?
Roger Lund

Without any commercial interest. You should contact the 'publisher'
Zoo Lake Garage - Anne Vos email: voszoo@global.co.za

She is very helpful.

Michael

#4869 maoricar

maoricar

• 139 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 16:27

[b]Lister-Jaguar book to be launched at Race Retro, Stoneleigh, 12 -14 March!
You will also get the chance to meet Brian Lister himself, who will
books and meet enthusiasts.
NB: Along with Paul, I'll be there on the Friday if anyone wants a co-signed Mike Hawthorn book.
[/quote]

Tony What are the chances for those of us that cannot attend, to obtain ( purchase ) autographed copies of one or both books?

Thanks, Neville MILNE

#4870 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 17:42

New book dealing with careers of Tony Maggs, Bruce Johnstone, Bill Jennings, etc. Mostly photos.

Posted Image

ISBN 978-0-620-46168-9

I am not sure if they will market it abroad but contact Ecurie Zoo for detail.

The book is 146 pages, soft cover and approx. 25x20 in size

#4871 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 23:09

[b]Lister-Jaguar book to be launched at Race Retro, Stoneleigh, 12 -14 March!
You will also get the chance to meet Brian Lister himself, who will
books and meet enthusiasts.

Tony What are the chances for those of us that cannot attend, to obtain ( purchase ) autographed copies of one or both books?

Thanks, Neville MILNE

Paul suggests anyone wanting Lister-Jaguar books with sigs pre-order and request a signed copy. Can't be guaranteed but should be possible.
The problem is that there are only going to be ca 200 books at Race Retro and these have been flown over ahead of the main delivery.
He should be able to start servicing retail orders about March 18.

Signed Golden Boy books aren't a problem as we make a stock of these whenever we meet each other.

#4872 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:50

Lister-Jaguar book

A bit more info from Paul, some photos to follow later ....

Cover price is £50 but it is available for £43.50+P&P currently from Paul. There is also a Limited Edition leather bound at £150.

Here are a few page photos:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by tonyb, 19 February 2010 - 15:09.

#4873 speedman13

speedman13

• 228 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:16

New book available from Chaters which should suit the Find a Memorial and Find a Grave enthusiasts.
Over 600 colour photographs covering the memorials and graves of 200 drivers all over Europe from 1890 to date.
Includes the GPS position of every site.
224 page hardback, A4 size.
Published by Transport Bookman Publications at £29.99

Posted Image Posted Image

#4874 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 483 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 23:52

The XK120 book will be available on March 15th and in fact of the print run of 600 half have already been accounted for
Sample Pages at http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/

Coming Soon
The long awaited for, second edition of the book "the Jaguar XK in
Australia" is in fact 1/3 of a 3 volume trilogly.
This just on 500 page, large size format 335 x 247mm (13"x 10"), full colour book covers
the histories of some almost 1000 XK120's in Africa, Asia, Australia/NZ and
South America.
It contains almost 1,100 photos of which only 25 appear in the original volume.

Sample Pages at http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/
Visit: www.jtpublications.com.au for full details

Posted Image

tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Edited by terry mcgrath, 11 February 2010 - 23:54.

#4875 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:15

New book:
1953 | Argentina F1 Grand Prix vol. 1
Cristi√°n Bertschi & Estanislao Iacona
150 pages
105 B&W photos
‚ā¨37,50
Argentina F1 Grand Prix 1953, is the first volume of a series of books dedicated to the Formula 1 races in Argentina. It also features a second race held days later and under Formula Libre rules called Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, with the same drivers and cars, plus the local heroes.

The book has a chronicle of both races complemented with full results including also qualifying.

The superb pictures were taken by Dr. Vicente √Ālvarez and his Leicas and are reproduced in duotone colours after being carefully retored.

In English & Spanish.

Link

#4876 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 429 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:31

I recently discovered the Heel Verlag website which publishes several books in German.

I don't understand German but I found several motorsport books that interest me:

Die Audi Motorsport Story

24 Hours of Le Mans: The Official Chronicle

VW Touareg Successful on each Terrain

Volkswagwen with the Rally Dakar

Mythos Rallye Dakar

Does anyone know if there's a chance of these being published in English?

Edited by pinnacle racing, 18 February 2010 - 12:35.

#4877 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:32

Thanks for pointing to the HEEL site. I would rather think no versions in English. Too small market ? But the LM books look good , however at that price and with that little info shown on the website...........?

#4878 proviz

proviz

• 208 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:54

My understanding is that the 2-volume Le Mans book is a re-issue of the work (Moity-Teissedre) that was originally published in French in 1993. Obviously new chapters will have been added about the races run since.
If that's the case, then it's basically a photographic history of the 24 Hours with a picture of each and every car that ever took part. The German version would be a translation from French, so it's quite conceivable that someone might be preparing an English translation too.
Even in French or German it would be very useful, as the content is mainly pictorial.

#4879 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 14:31

Thanks for the info , looking good !

Advertisement

#4880 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 14:58

Thanks for pointing to the HEEL site. I would rather think no versions in English. Too small market ? But the LM books look good , however at that price and with that little info shown on the website...........?

HEEL did publish a small run of their BMW M1 book in English. I was nimble (or lucky) enough to snag one before they were sold out.

#4881 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,794 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 16:03

Don't think it has been mentioned yet:

Jochen Rindt: Lost Champion
by David Tremayne
Publication date June 2009
ISBN: 9781844256839
27 pounds (cost not weight...)

Another book to look forward to.

Michael

Publication date now slated for September 2010.

#4882 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 16:38

My understanding is that the 2-volume Le Mans book is a re-issue of the work (Moity-Teissedre) that was originally published in French in 1993. Obviously new chapters will have been added about the races run since.
If that's the case, then it's basically a photographic history of the 24 Hours with a picture of each and every car that ever took part. The German version would be a translation from French, so it's quite conceivable that someone might be preparing an English translation too.
Even in French or German it would be very useful, as the content is mainly pictorial.

Proviz -sorry you mixed two different publications!!
The heel German Edition will be based on the ACO publication of 2006 , their 100 Anniversary-book ,exist as two volumes in French and English.

The Moity Teissedre 2-volume book of 1993 (Barthlemy edition) will be republished (updated of course) in July '10 to include 1923 -2010.

This is the one which 'tries' to have a photo of EVERY entrant!!!

See http://www.encyclope...es24heures.com/ Not cheap but 15.5 kg and nearly 1600 pages....
regards Michael

#4883 proviz

proviz

• 208 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 17:28

Thanks for clarifying that. Got confused because I'd seen somewhere a mention of re-issuing the Moity-Teissedre book. Was the 2006 ACO book bilingual in its original form?.

Edited by proviz, 19 February 2010 - 17:32.

#4884 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:55

Great new book arrived today and shut down all work here:

Porsche 718 & 804, an adventure into Formula One during the 1.5 litre era by Foedisch, Nesshover, Behrndt, and Rossbach. It's a complete history, from 1957 through 1964, of Porsche's F2 and F1 program, said to be the last all-German F1 car. It covers the design, testing, development, and all racing, including complete race-by-race reports and results. It's the first dedicated history of this program and a comprehensive one at that. Hundreds of period black-and-white and color photos, including many behind-the-scenes photos from the factory workshops. Sections on all the drivers, too, including Barth, Behra, Gurney and several lesser lights.

The large-format (13x13-inch) book is in German and English, thank goodness, with 228 pages; it's published by McKlein, who did the recent 917 book. US price is $124.95. Highly recommended.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 20 February 2010 - 01:56.

#4885 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 14:47

Thanks for clarifying that. Got confused because I'd seen somewhere a mention of re-issuing the Moity-Teissedre book. Was the 2006 ACO book bilingual in its original form?.

Hi Proviz,
the ACO 2 volume book was first published in French,later they made the English version.As far as I know the ACO boutique sold off the French version at Christmas for 99 Euro.
It's more of a year by year account, not a complete record of each race (not complete results/Grid).But nevertheless very good with very good pictures.

As you said , the 'old' Moity /Teissedre will be republished in July, enlarged to 3 volumes,whereas the newer races are superbly covered already by the Yearbooks.
Again best regards Michael

#4886 proviz

proviz

• 208 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 15:21

Pity Barthelemy never did the promised 3rd volume of their original book. That was supposed to cover the Le Mans test days - a topic that has only been properly covered on an annual basis since the yearbook was started.

#4887 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 15:48

thanks both , I am going for the July publishing.........

#4888 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 16:48

Pity Barthelemy never did the promised 3rd volume of their original book. That was supposed to cover the Le Mans test days - a topic that has only been properly covered on an annual basis since the yearbook was started.

Thanks Proviz
I personally never heard of the 3rd Volume, but that would be interesting-the tests and all the 4-hour races (which were covered by Le Mans Racing Magazine some time ago).
Barthlemy produced one Addenda with corrections and new photos soon after publishing date...
Let's see what July brings-up.
Best regards Michael

#4889 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 429 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 23:29

Thanks for the replies.

Are there any English books out there dealing with Audi's involvement in motorsport (aside from the Audi Quattro)?

Can anyone recommend books about the Dakar rally as well?

#4890 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 16:30

A few new books on Minis have come out recently, so I was wondering....what do you consider the best books on Mini Coopers? I'm more interested in general marque histories than books that exclusively address competition history. Are there one or two books that would be considered indispensible?

Thanks.

Jack.

#4891 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 16:26

Lister-Jaguar book

Cover price is £50 but it is available for £43.50+P&P currently from Paul. There is also a Limited Edition leather bound at £150.

Here's the cover!

Posted Image

#4892 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 19:07

Jaguar XK120 - Anatomie eines Kultobjekts BAND 1
Jaguar XK120 - The Anatomy of a Cult Object Volume 1
By Urs Schmid

Urs Schmid apparently has the second volume of his acclaimed XK book series coming out in May this year (2010).
The original volumes were published in German in 2000 and then English followed in 2002.

I have absolutely no info on what it contains yet other than it is initially the German version - trying to
get this though a.s.a.p. I run his web site and can't update it needless to say! I'll guess it's more coverage
of the XK120 rather than a new volume about the XK140. The pictures in the first volume were of amazing
quality and Urs' attention to detail has become legendary - a few are shown below in German (but allow for
real loss of quality from high jpeg compression here) and more examples are on the web site.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

XK Book web site

#4893 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 19:48

Here's some preliminary info on the Vol 2 XK120 Book from Urs Schmid.

Posted Image

Book has 320 pages and more than 1200 coloured and B&W illustrations. It's still dedicated to the XK 120 only. Contents are as follows:

-Engine Compartment (page 10-27)
-Interior (page 28-85), containing Dashboard and Footwell Area, Carpets, Door Trim, Seating Area, Rear Interior and Headlining
-Boot (page 86-95)
-Weather Equipment (page 96-109)
-Body Trim (page 110-123)
-Rubber Seals and Insulation Materials (page 124-133)
-Optional Extras (page 134-143)
-Documents (page 144-171)
-Colour and Trim Finishes (page 172-191)
-Appendix (page 192 - 320), containing Chronology of XK 120 Trim Changes, list of XK 120 suppliers, list of XK 120 competition successes and a comprehensive chapter about the Swiss privateers and their contemporary XK 120 racing and rallying (never published before).

More information and some sample pages soon.

Edited by tonyb, 24 February 2010 - 23:46.

#4894 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:01

FERRARI, Journal d'une Légende Serge Bellu, Editions Anthèse

Another book on Ferrari. But this time something special.

All Streetcars and Prototypes chronological described. Name register runs to 2300 names.Format 30x24 cm, 624 pages > 1000 photos..French text.

See: http://www.anthese.f...421006762885506

Oh yeah, the price: 295 Euro, even with the weaker exchange rate , some lunches or dinners

Best regards Michael

#4895 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 2,914 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 14:36

As you said , the 'old' Moity /Teissedre will be republished in July, enlarged to 3 volumes,whereas the newer races are superbly covered already by the Yearbooks.
Again best regards Michael

Do you or does anyone else know whether volume 3 will be available as a single issue, ie solely as an update to the original? Thanks.

#4896 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 14:44

Do you or does anyone else know whether volume 3 will be available as a single issue, ie solely as an update to the original? Thanks.

Hello milestone11,

as far as I know: the new 3 volume edition will be completely reworked with new material, layout etc. Not only a reprint of the 'old' 2 volume edition, supplemented by a new 3rd Volume (1993-2010).
But when you check their webpage it is all clear!!

Regards Michael

#4897 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 2,914 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 14:56

Hello milestone11,

as far as I know: the new 3 volume edition will be completely reworked with new material, layout etc. Not only a reprint of the 'old' 2 volume edition, supplemented by a new 3rd Volume (1993-2010).
But when you check their webpage it is all clear!!

Regards Michael

Thanks Michael, will have a look now.

#4898 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 22:58

Those of you interested in Porsche books should be aware that the 27th annual Porsche & VW Literature Swap Meet will be held on the morning of Saturday, March 6th, at the LAX Hilton, on Century Blvd. in Los Angeles, just a stone's throw from the airport. With over 400 vendors in two large ballrooms, this is the largest such event in the world, and it attracts buyers, sellers, and collectors from all over the US and Canada plus Asia, Australia, and Europe.

Apart from new, used, and out-of-print books, the meet features all kinds of Porsche memorabilia: sales literature, posters, workshop manuals, models, toys, factory calendars, art, photographs, factory promotional material, and much more. No cars or engines but some small parts. The doors open at 7 AM, and it's a stampede, so get there early; by 1 PM, it's all over. I've been making the 1,000-mile drive from Colorado for years and plan to be there again, flogging posters, books, and sales literature. For more information, see http://www.lalitandtoyshow.com/

Frank
Toad Hall Motorbooks

Edited by fbarrett, 24 February 2010 - 23:00.

#4899 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:07

Without any commercial interest. You should contact the 'publisher'
Zoo Lake Garage - Anne Vos email: voszoo@global.co.za

She is very helpful.

Michael

ISBN 978-0-620-46168-9

I am not sure if they will market it abroad but contact Ecurie Zoo for detail.

The book is 146 pages, soft cover and approx. 25x20 in size

I sent e-mail to Ms. Vos two weeks ago inquiring about purchasing a copy of the Maggs book and have had no reply. Any ideas of how to get a copy? And, while we are on the subject of South African motor racing books, is there any word of when the next volume of Sunset on Kyalami will be published?

Advertisement

#4900 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:28

I sent e-mail to Ms. Vos two weeks ago inquiring about purchasing a copy of the Maggs book and have had no reply. Any ideas of how to get a copy? And, while we are on the subject of South African motor racing books, is there any word of when the next volume of Sunset on Kyalami will be published?

Hi Frank,
I'm astonished, as I have had immediately responses from Anne. Try again!!After 9 days I had my copy in Germany.
As for the Sunset-book part II: the author and publisher told me (sometimes last year) that in December 2009 the 2nd volume will be ready. Slightly optimistic??
Best regards Michael