Photo

Alonso/Hamilton Hungary qualifying controversy (merged)

• Please log in to reply
3698 replies to this topic

Poll: Alonso/Hamilton Hungary qualifying controversy (merged) (228 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Good - Excellent use of the rules (39 votes [17.18%])

Percentage of vote: 17.18%

2. Bad - Shows no regard for fairness (168 votes [74.01%])

Percentage of vote: 74.01%

3. No opinion (20 votes [8.81%])

Percentage of vote: 8.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 airwise

airwise

• 2,001 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:47

The Stewards need to take matters into their own hands. It's a clear breach of sporting regulation 116 b and they are compelled to remove all of the cheating little arse's times.

116) b) If, in the opinion of the stewards, a driver deliberately stops on the circuit or impedes another driver in any way during the qualifying practice session his times will be cancelled . In this case, a team will not be able to appeal against the steward's decision.

We knew the guy was gutless from his behavior over the past few months but this takes the pale.

Advertisement

#52 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:48

the more I see Alonso the more I like Kimi. :drunk:

#53 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,653 posts

Originally posted by mach4
Read this on the speedtv forums:

IF it Alonso did it on purpose though, it was pretty smart and well executed. (but of course unethical)

It is not 'smart' it is called blocking. Happens all the time. And people get penalized for it...Where is the FIA?

#54 BiH

BiH

• 2,314 posts

Originally posted by Tomecek
For about 10 seconds, indeed more than Hamilton needed to catch hs flying lap.

pure class by Emonso :down:

#55 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,298 posts

Originally posted by Hyatt

yep, lollipop was up, but Alonsi waited for a sign from one of his guys ... (the one that Dennis took aside then)

Yes, it's not without precedent that someone at McLaren has not informed Ronzo what's going on.

#56 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Originally posted by JazH
Alonso was class.

Its not against any regulation... :clap:

Being a prick to your own teammate and pulling off the most pathetic and unsportsmanlike move of the year is class?

Alonso is a moron.

#57 slapstick

slapstick

• 1,809 posts

Originally posted by mach4
Read this on the speedtv forums:

Hard to believe Mclaren would be so amateurish as to let a gym trainer interfere with communications but OTOH they xeroxed Ferrari documents in a local shop so everything's apparently possible. :lol:

#58 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,298 posts

Hamilton on Radio 5:

"How long did you miss the flying lap by?"
"By about as much time as I was held up in the pits."

:lol:

#59 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,090 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:49

Originally posted by prty
Why isn't McLaren happy? They say they only want 1-2's, and don't care which driver is first!

Because it's not good for team PR in time when they already lack good PR?;)

Advertisement

#60 K-One

K-One

• 5,911 posts

Originally posted by Anomnader

Never stooped that low?

This was nothing compared to MS antics, if it had being the other way, MS at this moment would be getting praised.

I hightly doubt that, that one very dirty trick from Alonso to his teammate that he can't seem to match this weekend. What a low point for him :down:

#61 slapstick

slapstick

• 1,809 posts

Originally posted by clampett

Despite I was angry at Alonso, it wasn't at all deliberate from him. Slapstick=troll, and the guy really should be banned from this board. :down:

You FA fanboys really are comical. Truth hurts doesn't it? :rolleyes:

#62 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Originally posted by airwise
The Stewards need to take matters into their own hands. It's a clear breach of sporting regulation 116 b and they are compelled to remove all of the cheating little arse's times.

We knew the guy was gutless from his behavior over the past few months but this takes the pale.

:up:

#63 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Brilliant tactical move, or bad sportsmanship?

#64 DCult

DCult

• 760 posts

Now that I think about it, it all may be orchestrated. McLaren was not going to lose the 1-2 so they did that to have you people looking at the Vodafone logo. But Ron Dennis is not a good actor, so it may have been genuine afterall.

#65 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Terribly, terribly disappointing to see. That was like watching Monaco last year again. If the stewards can't punish him (it was, after all, deliberately impeding another driver) then I think McLaren should.

#66 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Originally posted by f1rules
run should set that idiot alonso straight, he just made schumacher look like a boyscout,
and to thoose who are alonso fans, dont even try to justify his actions, you could see on rons reaction who were to blame,

Alonso has yet to start driving people off the track, when he has done that several times, come back to me.

#67 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,573 posts

Originally posted by prty
Why isn't McLaren happy? They say they only want 1-2's, and don't care which driver is first!

Because their star driver made a mockery of the team and left them with a really uncomfortable situation to explain to the press. Apart from unfairly stopping his team-mate from trying a fast lap - imagine if Heidfeld or Kimi would've managed to get ahead Hamilton because of it.

#68 taylov

taylov

• 604 posts

The situation at McLaren is moving beyond what is acceptable in F1. I've been following F1 since 1956 and I can see too much that is similar to Ferrari in 1982 and the conflict between Pironi and Gilles. Ron needs to get a grip before matters get much worse.

#69 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,289 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:50

Originally posted by ensign14
Hamilton on Radio 5:

Yep the same thing he said in the pressconference. Says enough...

#70 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Hamilton on Radio 5:

He said the same in the PC. There was something else he was about to say, he then mumbled and changed the wording a bit. He was clearly pissed

#71 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,467 posts

Yes, it's not without precedent that someone at McLaren has not informed Ronzo what's going on.

:D

#72 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,047 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:51

Zing. :lol:

In the midst of all else going on, this is the last thing Ron needs to deal with.

#73 djned

djned

• 1,035 posts

let's not forget about alonso blocking kimi earlier in Q3...of course we don't have the information yet on whether he was braketesting him etc but it certainly did look unsporting.

a tumultuous 15 minutes for alonso...how quickly the mighty can fall???

#74 K-One

K-One

• 5,911 posts

I wonder if Alonso get penalty, Alonso fanboys will claim that it's just Bernie/Max who want Lewis win

#75 WDC1992

WDC1992

• 93 posts

Its fantastic the way that as soon as anything about cheating is brought up Schumacher's name automatically comes into play. No one was a more filthy cheat than him and by tomorrow this whole Alonso thing will be forgotten........... roll on wdc number 3 for Alonso!!!

#76 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Originally posted by clampett

Despite I was angry at Alonso, it wasn't at all deliberate from him. :down:

Are you kidding? It couldn't be any more obvious, especially given the team's (engineers, mechanics and Ron Dennis) reactions.

#77 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

I'd like to hear the opinion of my special favorite dirty play investigator Mr Verdegay on this event. :lol:

#78 Rade

Rade

• 111 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:52

That's what I think.

McLaren stop Alonso 1 minute in boxes without any reason than give Hamilton an extra lap of fuel burn.

If McLaren (Ron Dennis) can play dirty against Alonso, Alonso can do it too against them (him).

#79 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,111 posts

Originally posted by taylov
The situation at McLaren is moving beyond what is acceptable in F1. I've been following F1 since 1956 and I can see too much that is similar to Ferrari in 1982 and the conflict between Pironi and Gilles. Ron needs to get a grip before matters get much worse.

yep Mclaren is in selfdestruct mode atm ... but it makes a good show :)

Advertisement

#80 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Originally posted by K-One
I wonder if Alonso get penalty, Alonso fanboys will claim that it's just Bernie/Max who want Lewis win

they would.

This would only be justice if FA was penalized now, no other way about it.

#81 condor

condor

• 11,259 posts

There should have been a poll on this thread - whether one thought Alonso was guilty of stitching Hamilton up or not etc.

Just from watching Alonso's expressions in the press conference talk, I'd have voted guilty.

#82 Al.

Al.

• 1,318 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:53

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
Terribly, terribly disappointing to see. That was like watching Monaco last year again. If the stewards can't punish him (it was, after all, deliberately impeding another driver) then I think McLaren should.

I guess all they need to do is find an 'oil leak' overnight and replace his engine for the race :)

#83 BiH

BiH

• 2,314 posts

Hamilton on Radio 5:

After Hamilton said that in press conference the camera zoomed out and it looked like Alonso was about to say something but Windsor started to interview Heidfeld

#84 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Originally posted by Bloggsworth
Come back Schumacher, you were quite fair really................

What I thought. The only difference is the Schumacher was intent on screwing the other teams!

#85 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Originally posted by Rade
That's what I think.

McLaren stop Alonso 1 minute in boxes without any reason than give Hamilton an extra lap of fuel burn.

They waited to give him a free track.

#86 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,467 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:54

Originally posted by WDC1992
by tomorrow this whole Alonso thing will be forgotten...........

Bet on it?
:D

#87 man from martinlaakso

man from martinlaakso

• 2,773 posts

I agree, that FA was really braketesting Kimi, which was unsporting. If Fernando wanted to drive a slower lap, he should have let Kimi overtake him without extra operations.

FA postponed deliberately his exit from the pits with several seconds, which destroyed LH's chance to get another fast lap in time. However, there was one Mac team member showing to Fernando, that he should not leave yet. So this might have been a tactical plunder of the Mac team and FA was just doing as he was told. But if this was Fernando's own doing, then his contract with Mac might end soon. Ron Dennis was not a very happy man after the qualifyings.

A DQ would be too severe punishment to FA. However, I did not like what I saw.

#88 brunopascal

brunopascal

• 1,350 posts

Or was it a classless, selfish, manipulative and cowardly act to stop Hamilton getting pole position?

If it was, then his remarks about Schumi being the most unsporting driver in the history of the sport wears pretty thin.

#89 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

so which is the bigger issue for McLaren?
the external or the internal one?

Ron is gonna lose all his hair :

#90 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,500 posts

Alonso is the player. :D

Ron's face was priceless! :lol:

#91 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,573 posts

One thing is certain - by now this is by far the biggest intra-team rivalry in a long time, since Senna/Prost.

And I'm starting to believe the crazy rumour of Alonso going to Renault in 2008 already.. clearly the atmosphere between him and certain elements of the team is ****ed up. The way Ron thrown his headphones into the pitwall, lol!

#92 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,509 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:55

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi
They waited to give him a free track.

And he came out just in front of Kimi :rolleyes:

#93 BARnone

BARnone

• 2,056 posts

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi
He said the same in the PC. There was something else he was about to say, he then mumbled and changed the wording a bit. He was clearly pissed

Yeah - at least he had the grace to shut his whiny yap about being the number 2 driver...

BARnone.

#94 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,964 posts

Still, it's more entertaining than the gone beyond tedious legal shenanigans.

#95 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,653 posts

Extremely bad sportmanship. I am still shocked. Especially because it was so blatant.

#96 kyriakos75

kyriakos75

• 436 posts

Shall we give him the benefit of the doubt? Was he genuinely in mechanical difficulties?

Or was it a classless, selfish, manipulative and cowardly act to stop Hamilton getting pole position?

Judging from the angry way RD threw away his headset after the end of the qualifying session, I vote for the second option.

Last year FA had shown that he cannot control very well his emotions under pressure, for example the incident with Doornbos in Hungary and his comments after China about his team. The situation he faces at McLaren this year was an accident waiting to happen. I hoped that he would have matured but its seems not.

#97 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,442 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:56

Originally posted by Al.

I guess all they need to do is find an 'oil leak' overnight and replace his engine for the race :)

exactly, i actually think that would be a very measured punishment from mclaren

#98 inaki

inaki

• 2,421 posts

Originally posted by VoidNT
It is not because of Hamilton. Alonso's relationship with the team and especially Ron is the clue.

I think the same, we do not know what's going on in internal team dynamics. Ron's reaction was a "godfather" one when quali finished:

- He throws headphones
- Goes to ask for explanations to Alonso's pitsboard man (The one that has to find out what is the gap to make time space finding a clear lap) The poor man raised his hands.
- Then he wanted to talk with Fernando.

I do not like what I see in Macca. The team inside is even strange.

And we still do not know if the team was holding him up or not. Lollipop is not the whole story. The team radio is the key to know the truth.

Even in case that it was a deliberated tactic from Fernando, I think he is also a rebel inside an incredibly structured and rigid team. I think he feels asfixiated there.

We do not know if the pole was also fixed already and that was a reaction to prevent that.

#99 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

last 4 minutes of q3, hamilton-alonso incident at the begining, dennis grabbing someone at the end.

Advertisement

#100 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:57

Originally posted by Wolbo
It was hilarious to see the looks on the faces of the McLaren team. They had just won a qualifying 1-2 and, given how hard it is to overtake at the Hungaroring, should be over the moon with joy but instead looked like they had just heard they'd been excluded from the championship. Priceless.

I don't know what you were watching, there was plenty of clapping going on in the camp when Alonso took pole.