Jump to content


Photo

What is happening to the GP Masters ?


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Gendebien7

Gendebien7
  • New Member

  • 3 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 14 August 2007 - 17:13

It was dying a few months ago due to lack of sponsorship, but i read somewhere it was not 'dead'
just 'hibernating' (?). any better info ?

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 HP

HP
  • Member

  • 14,383 posts
  • Joined: October 99

Posted 14 August 2007 - 17:30

Are they not racing in September in SA, and in November in Qatar?

#3 Ploert

Ploert
  • Member

  • 534 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 14 August 2007 - 17:37

http://www.gpmasters...ts/default.aspx

#4 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth
  • Member

  • 7,510 posts
  • Joined: April 07

Posted 14 August 2007 - 20:38

The other drivers won't play unless Mansell promises to stop winning all the races..............

#5 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,182 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 14 August 2007 - 20:42

When the series first started, the signs were very promising. The drivers all seemed very committed. I just hope that the lost momentum does not prove to be a problem.

#6 carbonfibre

carbonfibre
  • Member

  • 6,295 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 14 August 2007 - 21:57

Originally posted by Bloggsworth
The other drivers won't play unless Mansell promises to stop winning all the races..............

As long as Prost isnt going in...

I would love to see Prost getting in or Alesi when he is old enough.

#7 president evil

president evil
  • Member

  • 173 posts
  • Joined: April 07

Posted 14 August 2007 - 22:04

Originally posted by Bloggsworth
The other drivers won't play unless Mansell promises to stop winning all the races..............


Funny.. I could have sworn that said "..promises to stop whingeing at all the races" .

#8 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,182 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 15 August 2007 - 20:53

Originally posted by carbonfibre
As long as Prost isnt going in...

I would love to see Prost getting in or Alesi when he is old enough.



Jean would definitely move the level of competition up a notch....

#9 santori

santori
  • Member

  • 3,993 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 15 August 2007 - 21:58

Hasn't the entry age limit has been reduced to forty? Which would mean Alesi could race. So could Frentzen and Panis and Irvine and Salo. And Hakkinen from next year. Not that any of them have been linked to it, which probably isn't a good sign for the series, but just one of them would make a big difference.

#10 Abe

Abe
  • Member

  • 338 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:59

Originally posted by santori
Hasn't the entry age limit has been reduced to forty? Which would mean Alesi could race. So could Frentzen and Panis and Irvine and Salo. And Hakkinen from next year. Not that any of them have been linked to it, which probably isn't a good sign for the series, but just one of them would make a big difference.


In that case 'Schumi' senior would qualify in 2009! :clap: Has the possibility of becoming a great series 'IF' all comes together ? :smoking:

#11 ViMaMo

ViMaMo
  • Member

  • 5,139 posts
  • Joined: September 03

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:29

Originally posted by Abe


In that case 'Schumi' senior would qualify in 2009! :clap: Has the possibility of becoming a great series 'IF' all comes together ? :smoking:


I'd love to see Mike in DTM!!

#12 wati

wati
  • Member

  • 1,091 posts
  • Joined: May 01

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:59

Originally posted by vivian


I'd love to see Mike in DTM!!


Yeah, in alfa romeo! :up:

#13 Gendebien7

Gendebien7
  • New Member

  • 3 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:40

Jean Alesi was waiting to sign up with Alain Prost but, Jean seems to have now committed to Speedcar Racing

http://www.speedcars...s.com/index.php

Then it was mentioned (forgot where) a few months ago that Johnny Herbert was also signing on, then his name also appeared on the Speedcar Racing list of drivers...

The GP Masters - single seaters - would be by far more appropriate for these top drivers than tin tops.

Did anyone see the last race under the rain at Silverstone last year ? :up:
One can see these races live on the net.

In the last edition of MOTORSPORT there is an interesting article by Derek Warwick on his participation in the Porsche race during the last F1 Silverstone British Grand Prix.

#14 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk
  • Member

  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 16 August 2007 - 13:16

Weren't they changing engine suppliers after the Silverstone debacle?

#15 Beej

Beej
  • Member

  • 409 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 16 August 2007 - 17:19

Originally posted by Gendebien7

Did anyone see the last race under the rain at Silverstone last year ? :up:
One can see these races live on the net.


Yeah I was marshaling on Copse exit

#16 Beej

Beej
  • Member

  • 409 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 16 August 2007 - 17:24

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
Weren't they changing engine suppliers after the Silverstone debacle?


There is a whole battle going on over that, one of the reasons that there will be only a couple of races this year, Nicholson Mclaren tried to sue the organizers of GPM for mistreatment of the engines. The fact that the manufacturers changed something to do with engine/transmission on the cars even though the cars up until then had been 100% reliable.

I was so looking forward to seeing Mansell come from the back in the rain.

#17 Ali_G

Ali_G
  • Member

  • 18,443 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 16 August 2007 - 19:09

Worst mistake this series ever made was when they changed the coverage from BBC to Sky.

I remember when the first race was on BBC. A lot of people were excited and I think a lot of average sports fans watched the race. Sky turned a lot of people off, especially considering a lot of people just don't have the channel.

#18 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,182 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 16 August 2007 - 19:45

Originally posted by Ali_G
Worst mistake this series ever made was when they changed the coverage from BBC to Sky.

I remember when the first race was on BBC. A lot of people were excited and I think a lot of average sports fans watched the race. Sky turned a lot of people off, especially considering a lot of people just don't have the channel.



Yes, at the outset there was a presumption that there would be lots of coverage on terrestrial TV. The fact that this has not materialised has doubtless contributed to the lack of awareness of the series.

#19 Maldwyn

Maldwyn
  • Member

  • 1,486 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:32

Originally posted by Gendebien7
Jean Alesi was waiting to sign up with Alain Prost but, Jean seems to have now committed to Speedcar Racing...Then it was mentioned (forgot where) a few months ago that Johnny Herbert was also signing on, then his name also appeared on the Speedcar Racing list of drivers...

Autosport carried the news in January that "Jean Alesi has admitted that he has little interest in competing in GP Masters".

The day before Autosport had news of new drivers, as well as tyre & engine supplier for GPM:

Johnny Herbert and Alessandro Nannini are two of four new drivers that will compete in Grand Prix Masters, this week's Autosport reports.

The pair of Grand Prix winners will be joined by Roberto Moreno and Raul Boesel in a revised series, with four races likely to take place this year.

The cars will be powered by 4-litre Mecachrome engines, replacing the decade-old and revised IRL Cosworth units that were supplied to the series by Nicholson McLaren. The series will also switch from Avon to Michelin tyres.



Since then things have been rather quiet. A proposed race in Budapest was cancelled when the race organisers sought to renegotiate their contract.

When I spoke to Riccardo Patrese in May he said:

"GP Masters is being reorganised and the programme is still going ahead. The idea is to race in winter in warm places like Qatar & South Africa this year and in the future. GP Masters feel it is better to race when there are no F1 races happening so that there can be better publicity for the series."


Races are scheduled to take place in South Africa (September) and Qatar (November) this year, although there has been little news about either.

GPM has great potential, but unfortunately seems to be fighting for survival at the moment :

Advertisement

#20 Dudley

Dudley
  • Member

  • 9,245 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:36

Originally posted by Ali_G
Worst mistake this series ever made was when they changed the coverage from BBC to Sky.

I remember when the first race was on BBC. A lot of people were excited and I think a lot of average sports fans watched the race. Sky turned a lot of people off, especially considering a lot of people just don't have the channel.


This.

#21 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk
  • Member

  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:15

Originally posted by Maldwyn
Races are scheduled to take place in South Africa (September) and Qatar (November) this year, although there has been little news about either.

Well I hope they go ahead but it's not an inspiring pair of tracks. The Losail race last year was pretty poor - and seriously hot!

#22 Maldwyn

Maldwyn
  • Member

  • 1,486 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:35

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
...The Losail race last year was pretty poor...

Much of that was due to it being designed as a circuit for bikes, not cars. Salazar's car was towed around for ages, causing a long safety car period, simply because gaps in the armco were not big enough for the car to be pushed through!! If GPM return this year, or in the future, I'd hope that issue will have been addressed.

#23 anbeck

anbeck
  • Member

  • 2,036 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:42

Sorry to bring this thread up again.... but I guess GPM can be officially declared dead, or has there been any news?

#24 lukywill

lukywill
  • Member

  • 6,660 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:46

andretti missed it. mansell was too boring to watch. they canceled the series.

at least they could wait for portimao┬┤s new algarve circuit: they have wet races at low budget. and the degree of water flowing can be controlled.

#25 HP

HP
  • Member

  • 14,383 posts
  • Joined: October 99

Posted 27 December 2007 - 00:52

Originally posted by anbeck
Sorry to bring this thread up again.... but I guess GPM can be officially declared dead, or has there been any news?

Masters series officially wound up

#26 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr
  • Member

  • 2,688 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 29 December 2007 - 23:23

Originally posted by lukywill
andretti missed it. mansell was too boring to watch. they canceled the series.

at least they could wait for portimao┬┤s new algarve circuit: they have wet races at low budget. and the degree of water flowing can be controlled.

The problem with Mansell was that he was too good, he knew he was by far the fastest driver and started pacing himself which made the South African race look stale. It was probably just to save energy by still doesn't look good.
The races were too short for proper entertainment but the drivers would've been knackered anyway with anything longer. It all turned out to be a rubbish idea but it took some experience of it to realise.
Nevermind, move on.

#27 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,686 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:39

Originally posted by Ali_G
Worst mistake this series ever made was when they changed the coverage from BBC to Sky.

I remember when the first race was on BBC. A lot of people were excited and I think a lot of average sports fans watched the race. Sky turned a lot of people off, especially considering a lot of people just don't have the channel.


I think the same can be said of A1GP.

#28 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect
  • Member

  • 4,925 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:04

Originally posted by Clatter


I think the same can be said of A1GP.


Indeed. And if F1 ever went to Sky the viewing figures would absolutely plummet.

#29 rhm

rhm
  • Member

  • 990 posts
  • Joined: December 05

Posted 31 December 2007 - 18:35

Originally posted by Ali_G
Worst mistake this series ever made was when they changed the coverage from BBC to Sky.

I remember when the first race was on BBC. A lot of people were excited and I think a lot of average sports fans watched the race. Sky turned a lot of people off, especially considering a lot of people just don't have the channel.


Problem is, as with A1GP, that the terrestrial channels aren't interested in showing it. Can't blame Sky or the organisers for that.


As for the original question, suppliers have petitioned to have the company wound up over unpaid bills. This seems likely to happen unless a new investor comes in because from a business point of view the whole thing was a basket case.

#30 WGD706

WGD706
  • Member

  • 956 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 02 January 2008 - 23:30

Grand Prix Masters is no more. Delta Special Projects, the company behind GPM, was declared bankrupt in London's High Court. The series failed to get off the ground after a relaunch in January 2007. Three GPM races were held from November 2005 until August 2006.

GP Masters have been blighted with bad luck after bad luck. The 2006 race at Monza Italy was the first race to be effected when local court action meant that some races had to be cancelled due to noise pollution. Furthermore, the race at Silverstone later that year was hit by engine problems that could have put the whole race weekend in doubt but the engine supplier at the time Nicholson Mclaren worked hard to fix the design fault and rectified the problem. Unfortunately the lest race of the season in South Africa was scuppered by issues that arose from the race promoter who wanted to switch the even from Kyalami to Durban. 2007 seemed to get off to a good start with the announcement of a new race on the streets of Bucharest the track was designed by F1 track designer Herman Tilke. Unfortunetly, again due to issues with the Bucharest race promoter GP masters involvement in the race had to be pulled.
http://www.grandprix...rs_To_Close.php

#31 fastlegs

fastlegs
  • Member

  • 1,956 posts
  • Joined: April 02

Posted 03 January 2008 - 00:55

Originally posted by HP

Masters series officially wound up


What a shame. :(

As others have already said, it's too bad that they didn't keep the BBC coverage and set the entry age at 40 years of age.

Hopefully it will make a comeback sometime in the future.

#32 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,686 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 03 January 2008 - 17:18

Originally posted by rhm


Problem is, as with A1GP, that the terrestrial channels aren't interested in showing it. Can't blame Sky or the organisers for that.


Are not interested, or simply can't compete with the over-inflated bids that Sky can make?

The first GPM was on terrestial, Sky only became interested after they saw the public interest in it.

#33 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,182 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 03 January 2008 - 21:54

Originally posted by fastlegs


What a shame. :(

As others have already said, it's too bad that they didn't keep the BBC coverage and set the entry age at 40 years of age.

Hopefully it will make a comeback sometime in the future.


I was mystified why the BBC's initial interest seemed to wane. Alright, they weren't about to show every race live, but I would have thought that the series could have complemented their other sports coverage very well.

#34 rhm

rhm
  • Member

  • 990 posts
  • Joined: December 05

Posted 03 January 2008 - 23:44

Originally posted by Clatter


Are not interested, or simply can't compete with the over-inflated bids that Sky can make?

The first GPM was on terrestial, Sky only became interested after they saw the public interest in it.


Total myth I'm affraid - typical jealousy of pay-tv. The organisers said themselves that they tried to do a deal with the BBC, but they weren't interested unless there was a full, fixed schedule for the season submitted months in advance - something the GPM organisers couldn't manage.

The problem with terrestrial channels is that none of them are dedicated to sport - they fit it in where they can unless it's very high profile. Whereas Sky has not just 4 dedicated channels, but also the facilities to broadcast just about anything from recorded programmes featuring obscure motorsport events (World Motorsport), to stuff that wouldn't get a look-in from anyone else - Netball, Speedway, Triathlon, Hockey, and far greater coverage of more mainstream sports than the terrestrial channels ever manage - Premiership Rugby, US Open tennis, wall to wall golf, cricket and NFL coverage. Anyone that's used to watching sport on Sky gets really frustrated whenever they have to watch an event on terrestrial. British Open golf on the BBC is terrible compared to Sky's uninterrupted coverage. When the last-but-one Ashes were on Channel 4 they were cutting away from it every so often for horse racing(!). Sky's 9-ball pool coverage is more comprehensive than the BBC's coverage of the Snooker World Championship - the top event in the sport.

It's typical that people who are jealous that Sky can afford to pay big bucks for headline sport like Premiership football and PDC Darts, and jealous that people can afford to pay the subscriptions, automatically think that everything that's on Sky Sports is there for that reason - it's not. The vast majority of people that subscribe to Sky Sports do so for Premiership football and that is why they will pay almost anything to secure the rights whenever they come up for auction each time, without football there is no Sky Sports. And yet they spend a phenomenal amount of money covering stuff that wouldn't find a home at all on terrestrial TV. In that sense they are a greater public service broadcaster of Sport than the BBC are.

#35 Maldwyn

Maldwyn
  • Member

  • 1,486 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 24 April 2008 - 14:49

Originally posted by Gendebien7
It was dying a few months ago due to lack of sponsorship, but i read somewhere it was not 'dead'
just 'hibernating' (?). any better info ?

There's news in this week's Autosport that the series is being relaunched. Delta Motorsports head the group working on "the Masters Concept" and they are in final negotiations with investors. The original chassis will be used with a new engine, perhaps a 600bhp turbo.

A quick trip to the old GPM website shows the new series could well be called 'F1 Masters', which suggests it may have the approval of Bernie.

Autosport's news item highlights the fact that Jacques Villeneuve has "put himself forward to race" in the revived series, which will be dropping the minimum age limit of 45.

#36 nigel red5

nigel red5
  • Member

  • 9,468 posts
  • Joined: January 00

Posted 24 April 2008 - 16:20

Oh that's wonderful news :)

Thanks for that Maldwyn, will watch developments closely.

#37 Galko877

Galko877
  • Member

  • 4,215 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 24 April 2008 - 16:44

Villeneuve is interested

#38 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,686 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 24 April 2008 - 16:56

Originally posted by rhm


Total myth I'm affraid - typical jealousy of pay-tv. The organisers said themselves that they tried to do a deal with the BBC, but they weren't interested unless there was a full, fixed schedule for the season submitted months in advance - something the GPM organisers couldn't manage.

The problem with terrestrial channels is that none of them are dedicated to sport - they fit it in where they can unless it's very high profile. Whereas Sky has not just 4 dedicated channels, but also the facilities to broadcast just about anything from recorded programmes featuring obscure motorsport events (World Motorsport), to stuff that wouldn't get a look-in from anyone else - Netball, Speedway, Triathlon, Hockey, and far greater coverage of more mainstream sports than the terrestrial channels ever manage - Premiership Rugby, US Open tennis, wall to wall golf, cricket and NFL coverage. Anyone that's used to watching sport on Sky gets really frustrated whenever they have to watch an event on terrestrial. British Open golf on the BBC is terrible compared to Sky's uninterrupted coverage. When the last-but-one Ashes were on Channel 4 they were cutting away from it every so often for horse racing(!). Sky's 9-ball pool coverage is more comprehensive than the BBC's coverage of the Snooker World Championship - the top event in the sport.

It's typical that people who are jealous that Sky can afford to pay big bucks for headline sport like Premiership football and PDC Darts, and jealous that people can afford to pay the subscriptions, automatically think that everything that's on Sky Sports is there for that reason - it's not. The vast majority of people that subscribe to Sky Sports do so for Premiership football and that is why they will pay almost anything to secure the rights whenever they come up for auction each time, without football there is no Sky Sports. And yet they spend a phenomenal amount of money covering stuff that wouldn't find a home at all on terrestrial TV. In that sense they are a greater public service broadcaster of Sport than the BBC are.


Nothing to do with jealousy, its simply the power of economics.

Many of the obscure sports that Sky show is not done for some noble reason, its because they are cheap, and Sky have a lot of channel time that they need to fill.

#39 Mika Mika

Mika Mika
  • Member

  • 6,746 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 24 April 2008 - 18:11

600bhp!!!! Power to weight thats more than GP2 isn't it??

Turbo too... Awesome!!!

Advertisement

#40 Jhope

Jhope
  • Member

  • 9,437 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 24 April 2008 - 18:59

Why not use the current breed of Champ Car chassis?

#41 se7en_24

se7en_24
  • Member

  • 14,283 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 24 April 2008 - 19:04

Originally posted by Jhope
Why not use the current breed of Champ Car chassis?

The series is being promoted by Delta, who already have their own chassis.

#42 fer312t

fer312t
  • Member

  • 817 posts
  • Joined: September 01

Posted 24 April 2008 - 19:31

Having JV in the series doens't seem to be in the spirit of the original concept...
I thought there was a 45 year minimum age?

#43 former champ

former champ
  • Member

  • 2,537 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 25 April 2008 - 00:49

Originally posted by fer312t
Having JV in the series doens't seem to be in the spirit of the original concept...
I thought there was a 45 year minimum age?


the minimum age limit does not need to be there, if a former World Champion such as Villeneuve wants to be part of it, then he should be. Added to that can be other more recently retired former F1 stars plus the former stars that took part in the first series of it (Mansell, Fitipaldi etc.....)

If its done properly, it can be a great success. The idea of JV's in terms of ballast is a good one also. :up:

#44 Maldwyn

Maldwyn
  • Member

  • 1,486 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:45

Originally posted by former champ
If its done properly, it can be a great success.

I agree. Perhaps dropping age limit will mean it becomes a series for all ex-GP drivers (hence being re-branded as F1 Masters) which may open up the opportunity of it becoming a part of F1 in some shape or form. If that happens then F1M will have the backing and promotion that GPM lacked.

#45 Galko877

Galko877
  • Member

  • 4,215 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:35

Originally posted by former champ


If its done properly, it can be a great success. The idea of JV's in terms of ballast is a good one also. :up:


Yes. Otherwise it would be very unfair that recently retired F1 stars like JV would be racing agains 60-65 year-olds, like Fittipaldi, for example...

#46 Maldwyn

Maldwyn
  • Member

  • 1,486 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 08 May 2008 - 14:22

Originally posted by Jhope
Why not use the current breed of Champ Car chassis?

I guess because they already have an existing chassis just waiting for an engine to be fitted. Why go to the expense of scrapping that and starting again with the Panoz?

More news on the revived series today - Riccardo Patrese has confirmed to Autosport that he has been in contact with the organisers and is "very happy to race again" :smoking:

#47 fastlegs

fastlegs
  • Member

  • 1,956 posts
  • Joined: April 02

Posted 08 May 2008 - 21:33

Originally posted by former champ


the minimum age limit does not need to be there, if a former World Champion such as Villeneuve wants to be part of it, then he should be. Added to that can be other more recently retired former F1 stars plus the former stars that took part in the first series of it (Mansell, Fitipaldi etc.....)

If its done properly, it can be a great success. The idea of JV's in terms of ballast is a good one also. :up:


Totally agree. :up:

I hope the organizers apply common sense and get rid of the age limit.

Like you, I think JV's idea of adding ballast based on age is a great way to go.

#48 tahadar

tahadar
  • Member

  • 499 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 08 May 2008 - 23:15

should be very interesting to see. what sort of specs will the cars be running?

#49 Maldwyn

Maldwyn
  • Member

  • 1,486 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:03

Originally posted by fastlegs
I hope the organizers apply common sense and get rid of the age limit.

The Autosport report seems to suggest they are doing just that :cool:

Originally posted by tahadar
what sort of specs will the cars be running?

From the same report:

The original Grand Prix Masters chassis will be retained, but will be restyled and fitted with a new engine, possibly a small capacity turbo with around 600bhp.