Photo

Internet CAD question?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 17:22

This is hardly TNF fodder but I hope one of the experts here might indulge me. Wanting to complete some drawings quickly - can anyone recommend workable free download CAD software which might perhaps be available on 'The Net'? :confused:

DCN

Advertisement

#2 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 18:33

It would depend on what needs "completing" Doug.
Can you give an idea what needs to be done ?

I do a lot of reworking, but do not use free download software.

#3 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 19:07

Forgive me if you're experienced in the field, but even if there is something free out there (I'll have a think - you can often get trial versions of commercial software), unless you're a bit of a CAD expert, I suspect it could take you quite a lot of time to get to the point where you can turn out blueprints or models...

If it's something basic you're after, you can always make a drawing in Paint... Low-tech I know, but it will work if you're not concerned about accuracy or complex shapes.

The learning curve for CAD is often a good deal steeper and more time consuming than one might initially think. If you have a background in CAD, you can get your head around most packages in a relatively short period of time, but if your only experience has been with a pencil and board, it's a major jump into CAD.

Justin

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 19:14

Thanks for the rapid responses. I have zero experience in this field, but struggling with a wobbly plastic geometry set compass here has been sending me insane! Just the most basic kiddies' line drawing 2-dimensional programme would do absolutely fine - so long as it produces perfect circles - for guess what?

DCN

#5 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 19:22

Wheels?

#6 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 19:24

I agree that Paint is a very good tool, but you do neady a steady hand to freehand draw.
Circles are easier as you select a point, mouseclick and drag to the circular form, but a sharp
eye is need to get both the horizontal and vertical diameters equal length.
and like you say flat-16.....the learning curve is steep...even in Paint.

#7 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 19:44

I managed to inherit a copy of Solidworks from a firm I was working for a couple of years back. I thought it would stand me in good stead for developing my own product line... Quite basic stuff you know, we're not talking cylinder heads in my case.

Guess what? I still spend a packet on pro CAD designers! I hate the barstewards! (only kidding)

I've been meaning to pony up for Solidworks 'bootcamp'... Cheap it ain't.

If you just want to get an idea across, Paint will do. I regularly present machinists with drawings from Paint and I've yet to have a problem.

Remember that Paint is still light years ahead of what they designed the DFV with!

Justin

BTW - When I saw the thread title, I thought "that's interesting, De Cad's set up a website" :blush:

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 19:48

Errr - OK fellers - so where and how does one acquire 'Paint'????

Remember that computer-technologically I'm a wood-burner...be gentle with me.

DCN

#9 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 19:54

Are you on a Mac or PC, Doug?

I'm not sure how you get paint for a Mac, but to my knowledge, it comes with most versions of Windoze after about '95.

OK, I've tried a Search on my XP machine and I suspect - if you run Windoze - the first step will be to search for it as you should have it as standard. Go to 'search', click 'all files and folders' and search for either "Paint" or "mspaint". If you have M$oft OS, you *should* have it in there...

Justin

#10 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 19:55

Unless I'm mistaken, it normally comes with the Windows operating system - XP, Vista or whatever.

Go to the Start button, select Programs and then choose Accesssories. It should be there...

#11 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 20:12

My mate Pete Eland has a page on cheap and free CAD:

http://www.eland.org...c/cadnotes.html

(He also publishes a very good magazine on strange, unusual and exotic bicycles and bike culture

Of the freebies on there, Draft-IT on http://www.cadlogic....aftit/index.htm looks very intuitive.

#12 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 20:17

In Windows you will find Paint as follows
click Start....then click Programmes....go to Accesories...scroll down to Paint, click to open.

Edit: sorry missed your post MCS

#13 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 20:45

A lot depends on whether you are an Apple or PC user, there are very few vector drawing programs for the MAC, and certainly no free ones.

If you are going to be quick, and have a PC, download a trial copy (30 days) of Rhino3d at www.rhino3d.com; with it you can work in both 2D and 3D, but it is not a "drafting" package, it is primarily for 3D surface modelling, but it is surprisingly easy to use. Alternatively, download a free copy of CadLite at:
http://www.cadstd.com/lite.html
This is a lightweight Autocad alternative, it works Jim, but not as we know it. It imports and exports DXF files, Drawing Exchange Files, an (almost) universal way of exchanging 2D drawings. CadPro is only about £20 and will handle the sorts of format a printer may require, like PDF, Postscript, that sort of thing, but they only produce line drawings.

Rhino imports and exports almost everything, and as shown below will save BMP and JPG files. Rhino to my way of thinking is the best value 3D Cad package money can buy.

Alternatively you could ping me and let me know what you need I may be able to help (As long as it is not the standard of illustration produced by the sainted James Allington that you require).

This is from Rhino:

Posted Image

#14 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 21:42

I'm trying CADintosh on my Mac Mini and finding it irritating, very. No rubber banding, no orthogonal lock, no attract & lock onto the end of the line you have just drawn (At least not that I can find and the functions are not mentioned in the Help files), RoboCAD was better than this on an Apple IIe and BBC B in the early 1980s!

#15 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 23:10

Thanks very much everybody - having toyed around with these things I am now confident I know my limitations - in the morning I shall simply buy a better geometry set. Sorry to have wasted your time.

DCN

#16 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 23:14

No problem, as long as you show the labours.

#17 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:14

Originally posted by macoran
I agree that Paint is a very good tool, but you do neady a steady hand to freehand draw.
Circles are easier as you select a point, mouseclick and drag to the circular form, but a sharp
eye is need to get both the horizontal and vertical diameters equal length.
and like you say flat-16.....the learning curve is steep...even in Paint.

A bit late now, but if you hold the shift key down in Paint while crating an ellipse, you get a circle.

#18 Kilted Wanderer

Kilted Wanderer

• 1,160 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:27

What about Google Sketchup - the basic version is free and it's pretty intuitive to use.

#19 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:04

As a final word on this, the Drawing function in MS Word and PowerPoint can be surprisingly effective.

Turn off "Snap to Grid" and set your default shape to clear fill and hairline border, and you're on your way. You can position and size to 0.1mm. Throw in a shape, then use Format Autoshape to size & position (remember that position is always the top left corner), zoom in to max and use the arrow keys to nudge items into alignment.

I've designed a bathroom and packaging with it, to surprisingly accurate levels.

Advertisement

#20 David Pozzi

David Pozzi

• 96 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 21:31

My local software store had Turbo Cad for less than $100. I bought it just to have on hand if I needed it.

It looks pretty complicated, lots of features. I guess it would take a while to learn it but it should do the job for most of us.
David

#21 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 22:41

Originally posted by David Pozzi
My local software store had Turbo Cad for less than $100. I bought it just to have on hand if I needed it.

It looks pretty complicated, lots of features. I guess it would take a while to learn it but it should do the job for most of us.
David

Life's too short, poor you..................

#22 ReynardDave

ReynardDave

• 85 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:45

Inkscape is an open-source vector graphics editor similar to Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, or Xara X. What sets Inkscape apart is its use of Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), an open XML-based W3C standard, as the native format.

http://www.inkscape....wnload/?lang=en

Available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

#23 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:09

If there is Windows CAD, is there also Microsoft Bounder, MAC Scoundrel? Sorry, I shall go and stand in the corner.

Seriously, It never fails to amze me what can be achieved editing photographs in Paint, removing whole grandstands, etc etc so those that CAN use a full on CAD have my utmost admiration, modern day craftsmen

#24 Kilted Wanderer

Kilted Wanderer

• 1,160 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:52

1929 Bugatti 35B perhaps?

Many other "models" available from their 3D Warehouse

You really do need to have a go using Sketchup - It's addictive.

#25 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:55

Originally posted by ReynardDave

http://www.inkscape....wnload/?lang=en

Available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

A link to nowhere unfortunately.................

#26 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 14:29

Of course what we really all want to know is.............What is Doug designing ?

presumably the bloke that did this had to start somewhere !!

http://www.youtube.c...Xd1PlGur8M&NR=1

#27 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 15:54

Richard, the bloke is blatantly just showing off!

#28 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 16:18

I use Model CAD Upperspace. It’s only $55. They have a free CAD viewer that you can download. Helpful for sharing files. With the viewer others can open and print files without having to purchase the Model CAD software.

#29 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 17:17

Originally posted by RTH
Of course what we really all want to know is.............What is Doug designing ?

presumably the bloke that did this had to start somewhere !!

http://www.youtube.c...Xd1PlGur8M&NR=1

In frame 43,263 the bolt on the ogglefloggle valve should have been UNF, not UNC...............

#30 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 18:39

Staggering impressive animation.

It gave me a nasty flashback to when Elite came out for the BBC and I realised that there were people so infinitely more capable than me that I could never hope to compete - and so gave up writing computer games on the spot. Just one of my many brilliant career moves...

#31 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,041 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 17:36

Originally posted by Kilted Wanderer
1929 Bugatti 35B perhaps?

Many other "models" available from their 3D Warehouse

You really do need to have a go using Sketchup - It's addictive.

Those models are amazing, especially the Veyron one. Were they actually modelled in Sketchup? Extremely accurate.

#32 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 18:11

I recently downloaded and installed GIMP, free download at

www.gimp.org

While it took three evenings and lots of curses to learn and use it, I must say I am now quite satisfied.

One of the things I am not satisfied about it, anyway, is the drawing of circles: it is lenghty and the circles are not perfectly simmetrical, at least the way I do them.