Photo

Sir Robertson Stewart RIP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:10

Last week Sir Robinson [ Bob ] Stewart passed away in New Zealand aged 94. He and his sons competed in motor sport events in New Zealand and his cars included the "PDL Mustang". This was one of the fasted cars in New Zealand saloon [ sedan ] racing for a number of years.

Advertisement

#2 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:33

Had a "senior moment" when typing in my last post. I should have typed " Sir Robertson Stewart "

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:38

Sad news, Peter
New Zealand didn’t have many wealthy patrons back in the 1960s, but Bob Stewart (as he was) was one of them.
He had his own ideas about the direction that motor racing - especially in the South Island - should be taking. He encouraged local specials building by backing (through PDL Industries) a championship for them, and when the row erupted over plans to replace the oldd ‘allcomers’ saloon racing with GpV, he pinned his colours to the GpV flag by launching the PDL team of two Minis, which were strong championship contenders.
A little later, when Mustangs and Camaros were cleaning up saloon racing, he had the PDL Falcon built up, because he felt there should be a NZ-built car among the contenders.
But the most famous PDL car was, as you mentioned, the Mustang, developed over the years by Lyall Williamson and raced to so many successes by Paul Fahey, Graham Baker and Leo Leonard. Although my personal interests always lay with open-wheelers, the battles between Leo in the PDL car and Jim Richards in the Sidchrome Mustang are fimly etched into my memory as some of the most exciting races of the era.

#4 hiteknz

hiteknz

• 139 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:11

A sad happening another past era in New Zealand motor sport has gone ,the funeral made national TV news in NZ tonight,a fitting tribute to a fine man

#5 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:46

Found a few old shots given to me by a friend....and for one, this thread seems appropriate (I'm sure Jum gets enough hero worship elsewhere) and absolutely no disrespect meant or implied to those who have passed on.

Looks like Baskerville...and the PDL Mustang in all its glory...

PICT0031_zps4c6c8dac.jpg

#6 427MkIV

427MkIV

• 279 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 17:29

Thanks for this thread. I never knew there was an IMSA Mustang II that took on the Monzas. Annd that they made it all the way to New Zealand.

#7 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 21:47

Thanks for this thread. I never knew there was an IMSA Mustang II that took on the Monzas. Annd that they made it all the way to New Zealand.

and to the West Islands as well...

[i.e. Australia...]