Photo

Colin McRae 1968-2007

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 19:16

Am i hearing things correctly that Colin Mcrae may have been involved in a fatal helicopter crash?
I really hope not. Not another sad day for the family surely?

Advertisement

#2 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 19:31

From what I can find out, it is true that the Squirrel registerd to him has crashed near Lanark. I hear the news is the very worst but have no confirmation.

#3 GeoffE

GeoffE

• 152 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 19:34

Story - http://news.sky.com/...1284278,00.html

#4 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 19:38

we're all fearing the worst here : http://news.bbc.co.u...est/6996860.stm
let's hope it's not Colin, if nothing else.

#5 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 20:06

Whilst it seems there will be no official confirmation today, reports coming from those close to him, and thus in a position to know, confirm he was on board.
I tend not to do the "RIP" thing on line and this forum, unlike so many others, has members who have lived through the darker eras of the sport and will be no strangers to such news. As one from the rally world who has been around him at various times, I will just think some private thoughts for now.

#6 Abel Karaj

Abel Karaj

• 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 20:54

I hear Colin's 5 year old son was with him too. :cry:

#7 Coral

Coral

• 6,727 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 20:56

It looks as if it almost certainly is Colin and his son who have been lost, though this will not be confirmed until tomorrow. I am so sad. :cry:

#8 Abel Karaj

Abel Karaj

• 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 21:02

Confirmed

http://www.timesonli...icle2461339.ece

#9 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 21:05

oh no.

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 21:11

Damn. :cry:

#11 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 21:17

Gutted :(

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 22:48

As there is no official confirmation at present, I feel it prudent that we don't leap to conclusions - in spite of the apparent probability.

Bira has written this report on the main news section of this site;

Strathclyde police have confirmed that there are no survivors in the crash involving Colin McRae's helicopter but said the fatalities will not be formally identified today.

According to reports, two people have been killed when the helicopter burst into flames and crashed in McRae's estate at Jerviswood, Lanarkshire, in Scotland.

"Around 1610 hours on Saturday, 15 September 2007, emergency services were called to a helicopter crash in Jerviswood, east of the A73 at Lanark," the police said in a statement.

"There are no survivors.

"It is not known how many people were on board at this time and there will be no formal identification of anyone on board this evening.

"The air accident investigation team are en route to establish the cause of the crash."

Like others, I fear for the worst. But we can but hope...

Until such time as the authorities make an official announcement, could I respectfully request that we remain silent on this matter?

Thank you.

#13 FLB

FLB

• 29,563 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 22:56

Confirmed by his agent:

http://www.timesonli...icle2461339.ece :cry:

#14 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:44

Very, very sad news indeed.

Jack.

#15 bournenville

bournenville

• 110 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 03:20

Oh no!.This is so sad.

#16 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:44

Dreadful, dreadful news. Utterly dreadful -and to lose the boy too - words fail me. The only coherent thought I can think of is he'll be much missed, but that is rather a lame statement on its own. :cry:

#17 Stirling

Stirling

• 127 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:23

Such desperately sad news ......and two families devastated by the loss of fathers and little boys. An unimaginable blow for wife's and siblings. And Jeremy Hart's observation in FLB's link - "It's so ironic that he should die in a helicopter crash when he had competed and had brushed with death so many times as a rally driver" - brings to mind the circumstances of Graham Hill's loss.

ciao,
Stirling

#18 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:55

Sadly, the Police have just confirmed everyone's worst fears.

Thank you to those who observed my earlier request; until any news is made official, discussing it can be a very dangerous path to tread.

What a terribly sad day.

#19 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:25

Really terrible news :cry: RIP.

Advertisement

#20 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 13:35

Sad enough to lose Colin but the boy, too? That elevates the tragedy by orders of magnitude. :cry:

#21 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 13:56

:eek: OMG ..I am shell shocked . :cry:

#22 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 13:58

Terrible, shocking news :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm speachless

RIP

#23 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 14:52

I was witness to a touching little moment in June this year during our Ecurie Ecosse Tour. Jane and I were in Eilean Donan Castle on the west coast of Scotland with David and Karen Richards. There is a large room in the Castle which is the clan home of the McRae clan. David Richards picked up his mobile phone and phoned Colin to say
" You will never guess, I am in your family home." I am not surprised David has been so devastated by the news as they were clearly very close.

#24 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 15:11

I didn't realise that Colin was only born in 1968. He thought he was older. A fantastic driver...and I was also always entertained, as a South African, by listening to his nice Scottish accent.

#25 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 15:26

Originally posted by Twin Window
until any news is made official, discussing it can be a very dangerous path to tread

Too much of a generalisation in this case - but a valid generalisation in many or most circumstances of this nature.
Nostalgia is not normally about news, so it's not a frequent problem on here. Arguably TNF is not a place at all for such current news but a first post had been made. As one of a limited number of "rally people" on here, I considered not replying at all but fact is the true situation was already "in the rally domain" from people who did not need "official confirmation" because they were too close to it. Why "official" confirmation was necessarily delayed is obvious and not an agreeable subject to discuss. Needless to say it was handled less well on all other forums, probably because so many who post there lack the experience of life of most posters here.
It is sometimes important to stop speculation - but obviously only when it is known that doing so cannot impart news to family and friends. In doing so, it is rarely appropriate to name sources just to show the information imparted is correct - but then a forum operator cannot be sure a post is correct. Difficult but, as already said, hopefully not a frequent problem here, at least.
The operator/moderator of another supposedly-respected forum that also ventures into the motorsport "history" area behaved quite despicably not so long ago in reaction to a poster criticising them for allowing a post to stand when it raised more questions than it answered (and caused distress among those trying to ascertain the facts as they knew someone who was potentially a fatality). Not the case here.

#26 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 16:22

Unbelievable a sad, sad day, all the more so for the loss of the little ones. :cry:

A Huge talent lost.

Memories - WRC Exploits clearly, but a couple of nuggets could be - Being just 2 seconds off Martin Brundle's mark during a Jordan F1 test and taking the Skoda by the scruff and dragging it into second at Rally Australia before mechanical failure forced retirement just three stages from the finish.

:(

#27 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 16:46

Originally posted by frogeye59
Unbelievable a sad, sad day, all the more so for the loss of the little ones. :cry:

A Huge talent lost.

Memories - WRC Exploits clearly, but a couple of nuggets could be - Being just 2 seconds off Martin Brundle's mark during a Jordan F1 test and taking the Skoda by the scruff and dragging it into second at Rally Australia before mechanical failure forced retirement just three stages from the finish.

Bringing increasingly tattered Subaru Legacies to the end of stages. Hurling Sierra Cosworths round the lanes of Ulster.

#28 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 17:06

Originally posted by Graham Gauld
I was witness to a touching little moment in June this year during our Ecurie Ecosse Tour. Jane and I were in Eilean Donan Castle on the west coast of Scotland with David and Karen Richards. There is a large room in the Castle which is the clan home of the McRae clan. David Richards picked up his mobile phone and phoned Colin to say
" You will never guess, I am in your family home." I am not surprised David has been so devastated by the news as they were clearly very close.

http://news.bbc.co.u...sex/6997784.stm[/URL]

Almost beyond comprehension is the fact that Dave Richard's helicopter has crashed on landing after returning from Spa. Thankfully the BBC reports that David and his wife were able to walk out of the wreckage

#29 grahamt

grahamt

• 38 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 17:08

I posted this in Racing Comments - perhaps it belongs here (not what I would want for my first post here)

One memory of many.

Grizedale 1993 RAC Rally - early morning sun just rising, blue skies, lakes and trees shining, very cold, roads icy. I'm on the inside of a long bend, looking out over the Lake District and all I can think of is there are no better places on this earth to be. First car comes through, then another, then another. Big names - big noise. Vatanen, Kankunnen, Mikkola, Salonen, Sainz, Biasion, Alen, Blomqvist, Auriol. Nothing between them. Noise first, throttle off/on/off/on barking through the scenery, cars struggling, all quick, all committed. Then something different - constant throttle, fully open, never a lift. Car appears, wheel hanging over the edge, nailed down, graceful as a ballet dancer, redefines commitment.

Thank you Colin.

GT

#30 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 17:18

Originally posted by Phil Rainford

http://news.bbc.co.u...sex/6997784.stm[/URL]

Almost beyond comprehension is the fact that Dave Richard's helicopter has crashed on landing after returning from Spa. Thankfully the BBC reports that David and his wife were able to walk out of the wreckage

That's too unfortunate a coincidence to be believed, and thankfully not another sad outcome.
Colin was born the same year as me, so it brings it home at such a young age and having a family exactly how precious life is. We spend year upon year building on wisdom/friends and adventures, yet never stop to think what the next day holds for us.
I can only hope thats Colin and his Son are about to embark on new adventures albeit in another world somewhere.

#31 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 18:51

Originally posted by Scuderia SSS

That's too unfortunate a coincidence to be believed

Like I wrote in racing comments thread about Colin: it is not a coincidence anymore. Private planes and helicopters are just dangerous. How sad it may be, I would LOVE to fly even my own Cesna. But I'd be better off riding a motorbike (which my wife would absolutely find a reason to break my leg in advance!)

#32 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,806 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 19:16

#33 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 19:27

Sad sad sad day today.

Colin, say hello to Henry, Sergio, Attilio.
:cry:

#34 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 20:00

:cry:

#35 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 20:07

What an awful weekend for aviation - Colin McRae and his passengers in his Squirrel G-BCHL, Brian Brown - perhaps the most experienced current pilot in the type - in Tom Blair's Hawker Hurricane G-HURR at the Shoreham Air Show - then the Phuket accident claiming dozens of lives - plus survived accidents to the Tiger Moth near Crowhurst, Surrey - and to a Robinson helicopter in Scotland - BEFORE the frightening incident just survived by Dave Richards and his wife.

A post on the PPrune Forum adds detail - that Dave landed his EC135 T2 G-IWRC in a recently ploughed field after an airborne mechanical failure - the helicopter toppled onto its side; rotor blades shattered, tail boom bent, but the cabin almost entirely intact, apart from broken perspex. Emergency services on scene very quickly ( just next to North Weald aerodrome) and both occupants escaped uninjured - though understandably shaken. A good combination of modern 'crashworthy' helicopter construction (twin-engined machine built 2002), piloting and maybe a little luck...they report.

Sadly there were three pilot fatalities at the Reno air races recently.

If your number's up, etc...

Sincere condolences to all relatives and friends of those lost and injured.

DCN

#36 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 23:55

Another...............Alan and Davey..............Damn!

http://www.check-six...ane_Crashes.htm

#37 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 00:05

don't quite understand this link!

#38 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:53

Originally posted by Jerome.Inen

Private planes and helicopters are just dangerous.

Helicopters in particular, where too much depends on (or from) too little, should only, in my opinion as a former aviation person, be used where there is really no alternative.

#39 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:58

Gary
The link clearly lists a whole host of celebrities, some racing drivers, who lost their lives through air crashes. Damned helicopters! Reminds me of Steve Hislop's crash. Only a mile from where I live, an Air Ambulance chopper crashed a few years ago killing all of it's crew.

Advertisement

#40 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:10

A local farmer crashed his helicopter near me a few years ago and was killed. you have to be incredibly fortunate to survive if one has any kind of fault or if weather conditions are less than perfect.

I would imagine per passenger mile it must be the most dangerous way to travel ?

#41 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:37

A terrible weekend as Doug says. I have often feared what might happen with all of those helicopters coming into the Silverstone GP, if one had a technical failure. Sadly David Prophet lost his life in one going home from Silverstone if I am correct and Sandro Nannini was lucky to survive the crash in Italy.

#42 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:36

After such a great week for Scottish sport this comes as a terrible blow. Condolences to friends and family of all four people who died.

#43 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:07

A very sad weekend. My condolences to all the affected families :cry:

Justin

#44 Stirling

Stirling

• 127 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 15:11

Colin's family have set up a condolences page here: http://www.colinmcra...condolences.asp His father was just on BBC NEWS24 saying that it had already recieved over 25,000 hits since being opened - a tangible tribute to his son's popularity.

ciao,
Stirling

#45 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 20:10

Originally posted by RTH
A local farmer crashed his helicopter near me a few years ago and was killed. you have to be incredibly fortunate to survive if one has any kind of fault or if weather conditions are less than perfect.

I would imagine per passenger mile it must be the most dangerous way to travel ?

I know and have known quite a deal of pilots. All of them told me that when they tried to fly a helicopter for training they were completely, utterly lost. It's not true that if, for example, the engine of a helicopter fails, you plummet to earth immediately. The rotors would keep turning, you would be able to land the plane... if you know exactly how. And the 'how' with a helicopter seems to be averse to any aviator logic. Some helicopter pilot once tried to explain to me, and I could not make sense of it.

#46 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:41

Sadly - apart from the unpowered descent capability of autorotation - one cannot 'glide' a helicopter unlike a fixed-wing aircraft which loses power or suffers some other interruption of its motive power.

Keith Duckworth and Mike Costin of Cosworth fame were both keen aviators - Keith loving his helicopter, Mike a glider pilot. Keith used to deride Mike's interest as being in 'plank jobs' which one could only land at places you didn't want to visit. In response, Mike told Keith that if he was asked to design a vibration destruction-test rig he'd design the rotor head of a helicopter...

For all their demonstrable delights helicopters can be unforgiving - and any novice who has the innate coordination to achieve a stationary hover first time up has done well...racers scoring highly here, I am told.

DCN

#47 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:02

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Sadly - apart from the unpowered descent capability of autorotation - one cannot 'glide' a helicopter unlike a fixed-wing aircraft which loses power or suffers some other interruption of its motive power.
. . .
In response, Mike told Keith that if he was asked to design a vibration destruction-test rig he'd design the rotor head of a helicopter...

DCN

That's exactly why I posted what I did. Autorotation is possible in theory, but not automatic, nor intuitive - and despite what the manufacturers say, not often successful.
The rotor head is inevitably without the multiple load paths that normal aeroplanes have (and have to have). When the rotor or its attachment fails, you have no exit strategy available.
They are for emergency use only, as I said.

#48 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 16:04

Tribute compilation video

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Zwb-RNbdx5U

http://www.youtube.c...related&search=

http://www.youtube.c...related&search=

#49 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 19:35

when talking about tributes, and the appeal of his driving style to the man in the street, I always liked the story that was in (I think) the Scotsman a few years ago:

a Journalist was being strapped into Colins Mk2 Escort with which he was going to open a rally in Dumfries. Already nervous, she wasn't cheered when a passer by walking their dog looked down into the car, and on seeing the driver, turned to the journalist and said "God, I wouldn't sit next to him in the cinema!" :lol:

A driver at the top of his game, and he was still enough of an enthusiast to have a 'low tech' Escort built, just for the joy of driving it well. Fantastic.

#50 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 19:47

Originally posted by Mistron

...he was still enough of an enthusiast to have a 'low tech' Escort built, just for the joy of driving it well. Fantastic.

Oh, absolutely.

You don't get many like Colin to the pound and, likely as not, never will again.