Photo

Louis Chiron at Mallory Park? Surely not...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:20

I recently stumbled across this curious hand-crafted artifact at an auto-jumble in Stavelot.
At first I was puzzled and amused by what appeared - due to the date cited - to be a object of pure fantasy. However, if the year 1932 was actually intended to relate to the vintage of the vehicle (or the 'victory') rather than the date of the event then it becomes at least feasible.
Although I don't recall reading of such an event, did such a thing ever take place? When? And what victory was being celebrated? And more curiously, why at that venue? Chiron never raced (or appeared?) at Mallory did he, having retired (again) from active competition before it became a proper circuit.
Any thoughts?

(If anyone cannot see the attached image, it shows a hand-made wall plaque - complete with a row of cup-hooks or coat-pegs - a naive bas-relief representaion of a Bugatti bearing the number 52C and distorted to show the rad square on, and lettering reading " Bugatti Type 35" and " Louis Chirons ( no apostrophe ) Victory Lap Mallory Park 1932"

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:42

Mallory did not open until 1956!

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:49

I've seen these before, they are modern 'Look the part' efforts manufactured in bulk by artisans in third world countries with no pretence of accuracy - it may well be that they are deliberately fictitious to avoid them being sold as 'the real thing'.

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:50

This is really strange. I'm pretty sure I've seen the plaque that Tony has posted!

Were they "mass" produced I wonder?!

Andrew is, of course, correct. Mallory didn't have car racing until the fifties. :lol:

Edit: Just seen D-Type's post. There's certainly more than one then!!

#5 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:51

<< Mallory did not open until 1956! >>

Well exactly, Andrew - that's why I was so quick to dismiss it as fantasy!
I just wondered - if the 1932 might relate to the 'victory' (or to the car - however badly described) - if there was any story at all behind its intent or veracity.

#6 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:05

I am, evidently, too naive to have considered they might be made in bulk... and didn't look too closely (it was fairly hideous).

#7 DJO

DJO

• 45 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 16:00

My family ran Mallory Park from 1982 until early 2005 and we got quite used to enquiries about these things! We also saw exactly the same words on wooden boxes of various sizes. We never managed to find where they originated from. As previousley stated, Mallory didn't open as a tarmac race track until 1956.

#8 blastedbugler

blastedbugler

• 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 22:24

Tony
I found one of these in Toowoomba , Australia at a auction site.
Mine must be a rare fake as the artist ? must have had a bad night as the spelling was Mallork Pary .
Tha background scene is different to yours and the car is also different with No 69.
Other wording is the same .
Even fakes can become desireable for collectors.
Don

#9 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 21:22

I think I was at this meeting.  I'll check my programme.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2056016.l4276

#10 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 21:40

I think I was at this meeting.  I'll check my programme.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2056016.l4276

..what an elegant handcrafted piece of furniture..Style Chiron XVI :rotfl:

Michael

#11 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 21:49

You're right, Michael, very elegant, but I suspect it's an original piece of Carlo Bugatti art nouveau. Or possibly not.

#12 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 22:21

I would love to know the story behind this really random motif that seems to have been reused several times.

Why go to the trouble of researching a driver (who is hardly well known to the general public) and a circuit (which is hardly the first anyone would pick) without looking at the dates they operated. It just seems so random, there must be a story in there somewhere.

#13 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,668 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:26

I see now that the french Autodiva forum was discussing the matter back in August!  But they know their Leicestershire motor sport history and weren't fooled.

Tim, one contributor to Autodiva believes the items may be imported from south-east Asia, but this still doesn't explain why someone chose Chiron - Bugatti - Mallory Park. Might it be to avoid any risk of being sued by a larger, better-known circuit, particularly one within Bernie's sphere?  Probably not, maybe just product design by google search.  Could just as well have been Mungo Park. 

#14 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,657 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:55

Interesting that the eBay seller seems to reside in Bath. Come on Richard, own up.

I have been lucky enough to own a Pittsburgh '49ers t-shirt and a sandy coloured D1023 Western Enterprise model locomotive in my time. Unfathomable how such errors can make it all the way to production stage.

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:17

Interesting that the eBay seller seems to reside in Bath. Come on Richard, own up.

Not guilty, m'lud. :p Probably one of the junk shops dealers in collectibles on Walcot St: like Camden Lock but without the canal!

#16 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:59

You're right, Michael, very elegant, but I suspect it's an original piece of Carlo Bugatti art nouveau. Or possibly not.

John..I think Carlo Bugatti had used ivory hinges?? :lol:

Michael