Photo

Nigel Mansell as creative consultant at Ferrari for 2008

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:26

To bring some Lion bravery from the Ileoni Mansell as the Tifosi once revered to him, I've heard Ferrari want Kimi to show some more grit, and they can learn this from Mansell.

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:31

Bah, Mansell's grit wouldn't be enough to make up for his bad luck and clumsyness.
But it would fun to watch.
:)

#3 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:37

Originally posted by Atreiu
Bah, Mansell's grit wouldn't be enough to make up for his bad luck and clumsyness.
But it would fun to watch.

Do you know the FIA video review of 1991 has Mansell swearing after a dnf I think after Brazil race, his gears went

"I wouldn't recommend it", he said to his engineer, "i'm ******* pissed off." :smoking: I can't believe they didn't edit that, whoever made that video had the same grit as Mansell himself.

#4 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:41

I never saw that.

You know what, they should scrap all these cars away and give the field a bunch of MP4-2s, Lotus 98Ts and FW7s.

That would take all F1 problems away.

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:52

consultant for creative excuses and generally wankery, perhaps.

#6 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:56

Don't really think KR wants to learn anything from anyone, he is his own man.

#7 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:07

So Ferrari isn't only paying Schumacher but also Mansell for doing nothing.
Well, they already paid Lauda over years for talking sermon in front of microphones.

Who's next? Arnoux would be funny, but it might be Scheckter.

#8 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:26

Loved him in the car, but he was always a dramatist out of it, so it should suit him well...........

#9 Two_Jags

Two_Jags

• 66 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 13:59

Loved him in the car, but he was always a dramatist out of it, so it should suit him well...........

So true. It's funny but Fernando really reminds me of Nigel these days; outside the car all whining, complaining & saying everyone's out to get him BUT behind the wheel he remains simply awesome.

#10 brakedistance

brakedistance

• 146 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 14:32

KR didn't want MS's help. Can't see him listening to anything Mansell has to say!

#11 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,779 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 16:52

THey don't need a drivers consultant, they need someone to bring reliability back so that they can win the WDC and WCC. The drivers are fine.

#12 Al.

Al.

• 1,449 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 17:27

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
THey don't need a drivers consultant, they need someone to bring reliability back so that they can win the WDC and WCC. The drivers are fine.

Correct and as I recall in 1990 with Prost as a team mate it wasn't the Ferrari with No.1 on the front that kept retiring that year with mechanical maladies. Can you imagine 'Our Nige' giving advice on 'Preserving the Machinery' :lol:

#13 Al.

Al.

• 1,449 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 17:30

Originally posted by Two_Jags

So true. It's funny but Fernando really reminds me of Nigel these days; outside the car all whining, complaining & saying everyone's out to get him BUT behind the wheel he remains simply awesome.

Perhaps they've already signed Alonso for next year, and now Mansell as a Mentor for the Spainard:)

#14 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 17:36

Originally posted by Clatter

Yeah, I would say it is a bad idea to try to force anything on Kimi, it will only work against itself.

#15 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 17:44

IF this is true - it is evidence only of further decay of focus and professionalism in Ferrari since Brawn and his "team" were broken up. It's the CARS and their PREPARATION (and wind tunnel maintenance) needing attention. They probably hired Mansell so he can serve as a PR shield in the UK. They'll need it after going after McLaren the way they did.

#16 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 23:18

Perhaps Mansell can help set up the car for overtaking better like he did. :p Special tips for Hungary, he was something there.

I'm quite impressed by the level of consideration the thread got, was expecting many bananas thrown at me. Respect

:up: :smoking:

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,802 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 23:35

Mansell, Brawn, Schumacher and Alonso spearheading next year's Ferrari revival? Good Lord..

#18 AyePirate

AyePirate

• 5,823 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:23

Sounds like a PR move to counter the Scuderia's villain status in the UK

#19 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,481 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:41

AyePirate :up:

Well sussed.

Ross :up: :lol:

Advertisement

#20 genespleen

genespleen

• 408 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:01

Originally posted by SeanValen
To bring some Lion bravery from the Ileoni Mansell as the Tifosi once revered to him, I've heard Ferrari want Kimi to show some more grit, and they can learn this from Mansell.

I think the concern is that Kimi didn't milk his sore neck problems at Monza properly, and Ill Leone (sorry! "Il"!) is the one for that sort of training:

"'Course you limp from a sore neck, Kimi! Cor, you limp from ANYTHING!"

#21 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:00

So true. It's funny but Fernando really reminds me of Nigel these days

as an old mansell fan, i think im highly offended ;)

#22 Billy Sollocks

Billy Sollocks

• 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:21

Don't be offended Nasty, it's just the way it is. Perhaps they could put Nige in charge of the 'white lines' and other excuses like, where to put the finish line if you are likely to loose by a couple of feet.

I would like to ask you guys.. who would you put in charge of PR at McLaren then....?? Billy Connolly perhaps or Tony Blair (with his jar of Vaseline)... who would you have ...

#23 Billy Sollocks

Billy Sollocks

• 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:23

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
It is a pity that you are so right...

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:25

Seeing that I'm a raging/staggering drunk at the mo.... Now seems the time to contribute to this thread..right?

Doesn't 'Our Nige' have enough on his plate?
What with his failed attempt at murdering Kirtsty Allsop...
Not to forget his kids attempts at racing greatness.
I would send Chloe in his place.
She's kinda hot these days and the Kimster seems to react with more....what did you call it Sean?...GRIT? towards a lithe and lovely girl.

And what's all this about Kimi not wanting to learn from anybody?

Geez..that's the way forward in life ..innit?
NOT.

Jp

#25 president evil

president evil

• 173 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:44

So we can expect regular empty threats of retirement from Raikkonen next season then ? :rotfl:

#26 jimpo

jimpo

• 286 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:51

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

I am tempted to print out business cards with that job title and hand them out to customers

#27 Arska

Arska

• 947 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 15:04

It's funny but Fernando really reminds me of Nigel these days;

It's not paranoia if you really really think they're out to get you.

#28 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 20:32

Originally posted by jonpollak
Seeing that I'm a raging/staggering drunk at the mo.... Now seems the time to contribute to this thread..right?

Doesn't 'Our Nige' have enough on his plate?
What with his failed attempt at murdering Kirtsty Allsop...
Not to forget his kids attempts at racing greatness.
I would send Chloe in his place.
She's kinda hot these days and the Kimster seems to react with more....what did you call it Sean?...GRIT? towards a lithe and lovely girl.

And what's all this about Kimi not wanting to learn from anybody?

Geez..that's the way forward in life ..innit?
NOT.

Jp

A source of mine called Gerald Depardieu the 5th, thinks Mansell won't be consultant after all.

Gerald Depardieu I can exclusively reveal is the name of my Husky dog.

I still think though Mansell could give some hard edge grit to Ferrari, we need a bit of adult dark toned 2008 season, we need a supermodel at Ferrari during the races to give support to Ferrari fans for precaution, afterall the spy scandel's effects are still going on.

Either way, the whole thread was nonsense, but a much needed nonsense, winter testing was pretty boring besides Schumacher's return, if any enjoyed it, I'm thankful. :smoking:

:up: :up: :up:

#29 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 20:58

A source of mine called Gerald Depardieu the 5th, thinks Mansell won't be consultant after all.

I still think though Mansell could give some hard edge grit to Ferrari, we need a bit of adult dark toned 2008 season, we need a supermodel at Ferrari during the races to give support to Ferrari fans for precaution, afterall the spy scandel's effects are still going on.

Either way, the whole thread was nonsense, but a much needed nonsense, winter testing was pretty boring besides Schumacher's return, if any enjoyed it, I'm thankful. :smoking:

are you on any drugs or prescribed medicines?

#30 hobbes

hobbes

• 889 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:08

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi

are you on any drugs or prescribed medicines?

Well if he was on prescribed medicines shouldnt he feel better? :| Or he is certainly not on them now.

#31 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:10

Originally posted by hobbes

Well if he was on prescribed medicines shouldnt he feel better? :| Or he is certainly not on them now.

Doctors often mess up, maybe he was prescribed the wrong medicine

#32 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:17

Doctors often mess up, maybe he was prescribed the wrong medicine

*Ahem* I work for the medical profession matey - were not all bumbling idiots believe it or not. I think it would be fairer to say "sometimes" doctors mess up, not "often".

Either that or you've been watching a bit too much Casualty lately :p

#33 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:19

Originally posted by Chiara

*Ahem* I work for the medical profession matey - were not all bumbling idiots believe it or not. I think it would be fairer to say "sometimes" doctors mess up, not "often".

Unfortunately I speak from my own experience and experiences with several close people. I simply don`t trust docs anymore

:cry:

#34 hobbes

hobbes

• 889 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:23

Originally posted by Chiara

Either that or you've been watching a bit too much Casualty lately :p

Maybe doctors dont, but i think nurses do!

#35 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:24

Unfortunately I speak from my own experience and experiences with several close people. I simply don`t trust docs anymore

:cry:

Well for the few times when doctors do get it wrong there are many many more times when they don't.

I'm sorry to hear you've had bad experiences at the hands of the medical profession. (((hugz))) At the end of the day Doctors are human beings too, and hindsight can be a marvellous thing.

But I can assure you there are good doctors out there.

#36 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:51

Originally posted by Clatter

I wonder why so many people want to change him something he isn't? Do you think Kimi is lacking something or why is this? As a driver he is propably the class of the field and this should be enough for the dicks.

#37 the9th

the9th

• 1,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 22:21

Originally posted by micra_k10

I wonder why so many people want to change him something he isn't? Do you think Kimi is lacking something or why is this? As a driver he is propably the class of the field and this should be enough for the dicks.

Yeah, everyone's trying to make him something he ain't, like the class of the field or something...;)
he's just a shy little dude who likes to take a nap (and a cr*p) once in a while. And he talks like Mickey Mouse when he's with his pal Nige.

#38 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:04

So what communications will Nigel provide that will help them seriously, I'd like to know ?

#39 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:05

Originally posted by the9th
Yeah, everyone's trying to make him something he ain't, like the class of the field or something...;)

I just said he is propably the class of the field, not that he should be ;)

I have heard people say everything what he should be but not the class of the field, so I guess thats what he is ;)

Advertisement

#40 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:56

On the edge foruming, another 2 tenths of a second this topic needed was found through the approproiate use of thumbs up, great, EXCELLENT :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :smoking:

#41 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 16:48

Originally posted by pUs

On the edge foruming, another 2 tenths of a second this topic needed was found through the approproiate use of thumbs up, great, EXCELLENT :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :smoking:

:up: These days the edge of adhesion are few and far between, that's why we must tread carefully, we must be precise. :smoking:

This is a example of Grit, Real Grit is exists between COOL and The INNER DEMON WITHIN, yet with the application of a Saint.

Ladies and Gentlement, before Jean Todt leaves Ferrari, I heard he'll show this video to the staff:

A toast to one of the most exciting drivers of all time, and the definition of F1 Grit, Mansell drived with his hands soaked in hard tanker oil, the grit of the Texas Hill Billies on his steering wheel.

Originally posted by Juan Kerr
So what communications will Nigel provide that will help them seriously, I'd like to know ?

Intimidation tactics, intimidate your old team who have new people, Nigel will push them, Schumacher did a awesome job for winning championships with them, but now people just want to see Ferrari put on a show every gp, and with Mansell, something always happens on track, losing or winning. He may not deliver the same results as Schumacher's team implementation work ethic, but Nigel will put together true hard grit, he'll spray the team with tanker oil, get their hands dirty, they've had their hands too clean this decade, you can't have grit without dirty hands. Kimi doesn't have to do anything, his team will turn him into Mansell, with Kimi winning the title, he's a new man, even Alonso said "Watch and see how Kimi drives this season." Mansell is with him, I expect 4 popular overtakes by Kimi to take the lead in races this year.
:smoking: