Photo

Matt Bishop and McLaren

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#1 Eliteboy27

Eliteboy27

• 126 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 21:03

Does anyone know why there is a folder of photos on the LAT photography agency site entitled

"Matt Bishop joins McLaren" http://media.latphoto.co.uk/index.php

Has he finally given in to Ron's wishes?

Ross, you should know the answer to this as the autosport photo man. :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:54

Apparently Matt has joined McLaren as Head of Communications.

#3 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:11

Maybe its part of mclaren's punishment?

#4 eeyorefan

eeyorefan

• 135 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:31

If it is so, then maybe this is his first assignment in his new job ;)

#5 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:07

Originally posted by clipper
Maybe its part of mclaren's punishment?

:lol:

Posted Image

#6 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:25

Maybe he's part of next year's driver line-up? Another unwitting victim of the RD engineered Hamilton hype machine. :cry:

#7 Two_Jags

Two_Jags

• 66 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:36

Or maybe he's going there to work as PR man for Ralf Schumacher when he signs ;)

#8 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:38

Originally posted by Two_Jags
Or maybe he's going there to work as PR man for Ralf Schumacher when he signs ;)

Haha, Nice! :up:

#9 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk

• 1,725 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:44

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns19681.html

Will leave in December to become Group Head of Communications and Public Relations at McLaren.

#10 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:51

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk

Will leave in December to become Group Head of Communications and Public Relations at McLaren.

:up: Thanks for info. He will have his work cut out trying to re-establish the Mclaren brand. The name has been dragged through the mud these last few months.

#11 scarbs

scarbs

• 743 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:12

Wow what surprising news.

Having always struggled with getting any sort of access or information from McLarens PR (press repelling...!) dept. The thought that some one who might actually want to disseminate information from the organisation will be a welcome arrival. Or will the McLaren Mercedes control culture simply suppress any ideas Matt might have?

Scarbs...

PS I always thought that Matts writing was great, now about that wind tunnel tour and Paddy Lowe interview..! :lol:

#12 pkenny

pkenny

• 198 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:16

Just saw on grandprix.com that it is only one of three high profile defections (including Nigel Roebuck).

I used to subscribe to Autosport but they systematically delivered the magazine almost a week late - which is fairly rubbish if you are reading the pre-race stuff a week after the race actually took place. I also subscribe to the Economist. A guy in a moped delivers it every Friday morning - sometimes even before I leave for work.

#13 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:37

Originally posted by pkenny
Just saw on grandprix.com that it is only one of three high profile defections (including Nigel Roebuck).

I used to subscribe to Autosport but they systematically delivered the magazine almost a week late - which is fairly rubbish if you are reading the pre-race stuff a week after the race actually took place. I also subscribe to the Economist. A guy in a moped delivers it every Friday morning - sometimes even before I leave for work.

Good choice, 'The Economist' is the only magazine I subscribe to, no moped delivery for me though :(

Given the seemingly revolving door at the Autosport office, the poisoned chalice of the editor's position (improve circulation and gross profit without turning off the core audience) and the terminal decline in circulation, the exodus is to be expected.

Autosport (print)'s price, its pitch and its generally shallow content can be in part blamed, but I think it's a general trend in the magazine market to see circulation plummeting.

F1, particularly I would imagine would be under threat from online offerings which are free, easy to access and up to the second.

I wonder for how much longer autosport, as we know it, will continue.

I wonder if autosport.com might become _the_ primary offering and the magazine becomes the added bonus rather than the otherway around as it is now.

I hope so actually. This website has become a vastly superior resource compared with what haymarket prints each week.

And F1 racing...I have to say I wont buy another issue after Bishop's narcissistic recollection of his attack on Ralf Schumacher. I had no problem with him giving Schumacher the bollocking he probably deserved. But his justification for the attack was so utterly shallow, so transparently self-indulgent...no, never again going to give that magazine my time of day.

Oh, and the game of "count how many times can 'Bish' use the word 'pernicious'" (congratulations mate, you did an arts degree...) has finally ran out of value. And, really, it's a bit ironic in retrospect Bishop defending 'his' readers while pursuing a position that would, too, call into question the integrity and impartiality of the publication he is responsible for...

#14 Two_Jags

Two_Jags

• 66 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:47

Uh-oh - So if Bishop leaves F1 Racing Magazine does that mean the next editor in chief might be... Peter Windsor :eek:

#15 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:04

I guess upon reflection the one worrying thing about all this haymarket upheaval is at the end of the day they pay the autosport.com bills. If some of their best journos (well at least in the case of Roebuck and Smith) are off, there's a) a content gap since they contributed here, but more worringly b) if they are off, why, and is it budgetary?

A smaller budget reduces what coverage we'll get on the site, or worst case may even threaten (I would doubt it, but you never know) the actual existence of this site.

In that context, just which hack takes over Bishop's role at F1 racing is a bit insignificant for most of us.

#16 robhood

robhood

• 163 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:20

I will miss his articles in F1Racing and Autosport.

I thought he had great, entertainingly presented insights.

Good Luck Matt.

#17 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:28

It does of course mean one of two things: Either McLaren's current head of PR is leaving, or she has a new boss. I think either of these outcomes is a shame as she's had a lot to deal with this season and a new boss will be a huge punch in the guts, while her departure would be a sad loss to the paddock and team.

Also, Matt's departure will be a big loss to F1 Racing mag. It will be interesting to see who takes over, but there is strength in depth at Haymarket and maybe a new direction for the magazine after its first decade could be seen as an exciting new possibility.

I think the very fact it's top story on grandprix.com and autosport.com tells you a lot about the level of his new position and how respected he has become in the position he is leaving. Afterall, on paper, its simply a journalist becoming a press officer which, to be fair, happens often. Eric Silberman became head of Red Bull's PR this season and I don't recall this much fuss...

Show's you how highly Matt is regarded.

I wish him luck.

#18 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,803 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:29

Good luck, Matt :)

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:36

If every keeps leaving and everyone else moves one rung up the ladder; eventually I'm going to have to start working around here :

Advertisement

#20 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:37

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
If every keeps leaving and everyone else moves one rung up the ladder; eventually I'm going to have to start working around here :

Hahaha, now that's something I'd love to see! :lol:

#21 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:40

it´s a funny thread indeed.

#22 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:44

Thankfully Bishop is leaving, and motorsport journalism will be all the better for it.

His article on Ralf Schumacher in the September issue of F1 Racing was the the worst piece of populistic journalism I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

Then again publically humiliating drivers seems to be the norm now for those who leach.

#23 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 13:51

Does it mean that Alonso stays for 2008? On post-quali press-conference in McLaren motorhome in Hungary everybody felt a lack of some tough-guy to control the heat. Fat Matt would be perfect for the job of keeping Alonso and Hamilton apart :D

#24 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 14:14

Originally posted by karlth
His article on Ralf Schumacher in the September issue of F1 Racing was the the worst piece of populistic journalism I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

Indeed. They also included in short news something like "We've asked 100 people in the paddock, 8x don't think Toyota should renew him, 1x don't care, and 1 think they should". What was that about and why is that news?

#25 JForce

JForce

• 13,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 14:20

Isn't this really only making something he's been doing for years official....

#26 pRy

pRy

• 26,314 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 14:25

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

I thought you were about to say "I might eventually have a race seat" :D

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 14:27

I'm keeping my options open.

#28 sensible

sensible

• 1,910 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 14:54

Theat'll increase the average integrity of both organizations

#29 djned

djned

• 1,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 16:00

Uh-oh - So if Bishop leaves F1 Racing Magazine does that mean the next editor in chief might be... Peter Windsor :eek:

vote 1 bira!

#30 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 16:20

They already launched a new website with Windsor as chief editor :lol:

#31 LePatron

LePatron

• 296 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 16:28

I can't figure out why in the world McLaren would want to replace their current PR director in the wake of the spy-gate saga. They did a brilliant job all around in containing the damage; for example by convincing many to believe that the nature of the info being passed about between DelaRossa and Alonso was nothing that one could otherwise get by hanging out at the driver's hotel bar on the night before the race.

#32 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,203 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 16:35

ROEBUCK GONE....?
Does this mean he is no longer going to be published on here?

If so, that's a lot worse than losing the Bish.

Jp

#33 pedrovski

pedrovski

• 576 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 16:43

Originally posted by kar

Good choice, 'The Economist' is the only magazine I subscribe to, no moped delivery for me though :(

Given the seemingly revolving door at the Autosport office, the poisoned chalice of the editor's position (improve circulation and gross profit without turning off the core audience) and the terminal decline in circulation, the exodus is to be expected.

Autosport (print)'s price, its pitch and its generally shallow content can be in part blamed, but I think it's a general trend in the magazine market to see circulation plummeting.

F1, particularly I would imagine would be under threat from online offerings which are free, easy to access and up to the second.

I wonder for how much longer autosport, as we know it, will continue.

I wonder if autosport.com might become _the_ primary offering and the magazine becomes the added bonus rather than the otherway around as it is now.

I hope so actually. This website has become a vastly superior resource compared with what haymarket prints each week.

And F1 racing...I have to say I wont buy another issue after Bishop's narcissistic recollection of his attack on Ralf Schumacher. I had no problem with him giving Schumacher the bollocking he probably deserved. But his justification for the attack was so utterly shallow, so transparently self-indulgent...no, never again going to give that magazine my time of day.

Oh, and the game of "count how many times can 'Bish' use the word 'pernicious'" (congratulations mate, you did an arts degree...) has finally ran out of value. And, really, it's a bit ironic in retrospect Bishop defending 'his' readers while pursuing a position that would, too, call into question the integrity and impartiality of the publication he is responsible for...

||Exactly another journo sells out. :down:

#34 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 16:56

Originally posted by jonpollak
ROEBUCK GONE....?
Does this mean he is no longer going to be published on here?

If so, that's a lot worse than losing the Bish.

Jp

Agreed, I don't often like what Roebuck says but you cannot argue with the passion he has for the sport and the manner in which he brings what he thinks to life with his words.

His writing is incisive and captivating all without resorting to the impact tactics employed by the likes of Bishop.

Sad to see him go.

#35 SphereTL1000S

SphereTL1000S

• 1,773 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 17:33

Originally posted by sensible
[Bishop] Will leave in December to become Group Head of Communications and Public Relations at McLaren.

--------

Theat'll increase the average integrity of both organizations

Agreed 100% :up: :up:

#36 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,803 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:13

Originally posted by pedrovski

||Exactly another journo sells out. :down:

Sell-out? He's going to work for an F! team! It's not selling out, he applied for a job (did he?) and got it. Nothing wrong with that. He wants to further his career.

#37 role

role

• 1,201 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:27

Originally posted by JForce
Isn't this really only making something he's been doing for years official....

To be honest I thought he would end up as Fisi's and Alex Wurz's manager. One every two "From the Pulpit" he wrote were about how great these two are and how well they would do at McLaren, Ferrari, Renault....

The other article was about how much Honda or Toyota needed to hire Pat Symmonds.

I believe of all the F1 Racing "You have read it here first..." only one or two have ever become truth....

#38 Paul Prost

Paul Prost

• 774 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:29

What's happening to Nigel!?!? :| :confused:

It's all his fault that I became a huge Prost fan! :lol:

I still think he's the best journo in F1.

As for Matt Bishop... hmm.. F1's most extroverted and egotistical journo working for the most buttoned-down, conservative and controlling team-principal... that's going to be interesting!

#39 QdfV

QdfV

• 3,381 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:33

Bira is really cleaning up the place, good work ;)

Advertisement

#40 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:38

Originally posted by Paul Prost

As for Matt Bishop... hmm.. F1's most extroverted and egotistical journo working for the most buttoned-down, conservative and controlling team-principal... that's going to be interesting!

Ron Dennis may be many things, but buttoned-down and conservative he is not.

#41 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 19:03

Hey I'm heartened someone else had the same reaction that I had...

What a contrived piece of garbage that photo session 'incident' was...pure Matt Bishop puffed-chest ego trip followed by a condescending apology for his 'language'... and all under the guise of defending 'F1 Racing editorial integrity'. As if...

Incidently, I also thought his article here about limiting the noise volume of F1 cars was virtually unforgivable...

#42 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 20:17

With Matt off to pastures Silver, his journalism career is, you would have to say, effectively finished.

What prompted his exit I think is a pretty interesting topic in and of itself, but there is clearly something going on at Haymarket with their 'franchise contributors' Roebuck and Bishop taking leave of their relationship with the company.

I just wonder how people here feel about Bishop's career, what did he achieve? What will we miss? Will we be better or worse off for his passing? What were the highlights and lowlights of his efforts? Certainly whatever the merits of his achievements he was one of the highest profile journos in F1.

I dunno personally, I think he can be at times an engaging read, but at the same time he has shown a clear disconnect from the audience he purports to represent. His 'man down the pub' demeanour belied by the bourgeois self indulgence of his writing.

For me, the Schumacher (Ralf) article was the last straw. But that said his increasingly bellicose style was still worth the odd read, if only to point and laugh.

More than anything I think I will remember him for a journal piece last year where he colourfully described the appearance of Michael Schumacher's mouth after being confronted about Rascasse.

Oh well hope he enjoys his job at McLaren, their pressers could use any sort of injection of feeling. Bishop's writing may be a bit of a blunt instrument to Roebuck's scalpel, but anything is better than the dross McLaren have came out with in recent years.

#43 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 20:30

Any motorsport journalism career that leads to a top job at the leading F1 publications and a gig at McLaren is a success in everyone's opinion (whether they recognise it or not). It doesn't mean he'll be liked or admired by all (that's impossible) but it does mean it is successful.

#44 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 20:34

Originally posted by kar
With Matt off to pastures Silver, his journalism career is, you would have to say, effectively finished.

Why?

Motorsport writing is not always a high-paying job and many journalists have had to find ways of supplementing their incomes to make ends meet. There have been examples of motorsport writers who have worked for teams, only to go back to a journalistic job (Windsor at Williams, Eoin Young at McLaren) or have done both at the same time (Roebuck writing for Autosport while at Embassy Hill). Some writers used to moonlight as PR flacks and write under pseudonyms as journalists (Alan Henry, Andrew Marriott). However, I will grant you that some writers made the jump and never went back to journalism (Norbert Haug, Ian Phillips).

In Windsor's case, as I believe will be Bishop's, spending time working for an F1 team actually gave him credibility about how the sport works from the inside.

#45 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 20:42

No more "From the Armpit" :clap:

#46 Andy Van De Burgt

Andy Van De Burgt
  • AUTOSPORT editor in chief

• 30 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 20:50

What prompted his exit I think is a pretty interesting topic in and of itself, but there is clearly something going on at Haymarket with their 'franchise contributors' Roebuck and Bishop taking leave of their relationship with the company.

This is coincidence, pure and simple.

kar, I love your constant bashing of Autosport magazine, it really is so insightful.

You probably ought to check your facts before posting though. Autosport magazine sales are up year-on-year in 2007...

Kindest regards

Andrew van de Burgt

Editor, Autosport

#47 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 20:56

Bira is really cleaning up the place, good work

:up: :up: :up: :up:

Thank goodness ...

#48 SphereTL1000S

SphereTL1000S

• 1,773 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 21:07

Bishop will now be freer to defend Mclaren. Not sure if this will satisfy him enough though, since he will have to tone down his latests attacks on Mosley.

#49 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 21:15

wait what? roebuck is not gonna do autosport stuff anymore? when was that announced?

#50 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 21:32

Originally posted by Andy Van De Burgt

This is coincidence, pure and simple.

kar, I love your constant bashing of Autosport magazine, it really is so insightful.

You probably ought to check your facts before posting though. Autosport magazine sales are up year-on-year in 2007...

Kindest regards

Andrew van de Burgt

Editor, Autosport

Well the facts were checked up to and including the last year available 2006, and the available figures show a terminal decline, last year being particularly poor wasn't it?

This is probably more pertinent to my comments in the other thread, but are you suggesting with a straight face that the 2007 circulation numbers are going to reverse the general decline of circulation of the past 5 years?

I don't have access to the 2007 figures, but I would be greatly impressed if at the end of the year that trend has been significantly bucked.

And I guess while, yes, I do take a potshot at certain aspects of the mag, perhaps rather than sanctimoniously suggesting 'I check my facts' you help address the _specific_ issues the mag faces: price, relevance and depth.