Photo

Speed's ultimate price: the toll...

• Please log in to reply
3025 replies to this topic

#2801 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 19:41

Isn't it funny how women in the US often have men's names? "Mrs. Fred Nelson" Huh? Frederike, or what? :drunk:

"Just an hour ago she was plain old Betty Munroe, now she's Mrs. Ralph Hapshot!"

Just the old way of quoting wives names - you were the wife of someone, therefore you were Mrs Someone, even if you had your own name.... For example, Michelle Obama would be Mrs Barack Obama.

Advertisement

#2802 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 23:10

Just the old way of quoting wives names - you were the wife of someone, therefore you were Mrs Someone, even if you had your own name.... For example, Michelle Obama would be Mrs Barack Obama.

Until she became a widow, when she would be, eg, Mrs Mary Nelson
(I thought it would be tempting fate to use Darren's example)

#2803 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,330 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 18:25

The Lima News, Lima (OH), June 7, 1929:

TOWN MARSHAL AT NEW BREMEN DIES AT WORK

William Landwehr, 70, Succumbs at Wheel of Motor Roller at Speedway Track

HEART ATTACK VICTIM

Widow and Eight Children Survive; Worker Discovers Official Is Dead

[Special to The Lima News]

NEW BREMEN, O., June 7 — William Landwehr, 70, village marshal and street commissioner died at the wheel of the town's motor roller this morning while he was operating it at the New Bremen Speedway where he was aiding in getting the track in shape for Sunday's races.
Death was attributed to a heart attack.
The attention of William Martz, who was also working at the track, was attracted when he noticed the roller had stopped operating and that Landwehr was in a sitting position instead of standing which is necessary for operation. Upon reaching the marshal's side Martz found Landwehr dead.
The widow, five daughters and three sons survive. The body was taken to the Alber Funeral Parlors and later will be taken to the Landwehr home on N. Herman-st.

#2804 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,330 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 22:49

A correction to the Motorsport Memorial entry for Bob Slavik (I've seen his name spelt Slavick, too):

Chicago Daily Tribune, September 20, 1934:

Driver Hurt at Evanston Auto Races Dies of Injury

Elgin, Ill., Sept. 19. - [Special.] - Injuries sustained last Sunday in a smashup of three racing cars at the Evanston speedway today caused the death of Robert [Bob] Slavik, 27 years old, of Elgin, veteran dirt track driver and former Elgin High school football and basketball star. Slavik died in the Sherman hospital at Elgin of a crushed chest. He is survived by his parents and two brothers. The funeral will be held Saturday at the First Methodist church in Elgin.

Note that death occured a full week before the date given by MM!! Strange, though, that Slavik died at an Elgin hospital, which means that the gravely injured man must've been moved about 25 miles after the accident, past a number of hospitals in Western Chicago! Also strange, that the report from the September 16 race only mentions a "two car crash", involving Tom Slattery and Don Rhue, the latter suffering "injuries that required hospital attention" - in the context of the time, that means he was hardly injured at all. Perhaps Slavik suffered internal injuries which he "brushed aside", and drove home before realising the extent of the injuries, and receiving medical attention?

#2805 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,416 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 23:33

Or that his injuries seemed minor and greater attention was focussed on the others?

And perhaps family took him to their local hospital to give the ambulances freedom to tend to them...

Edited by Ray Bell, 14 February 2012 - 07:37.

#2806 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,990 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 17:04

37 year-old Finnish Enduro rider Mika Ahola has died in a Barcelona hospital as a result of injuries sustained in a training crash last month.

Ahola, who won five consecutive world Enduro championships from 2007 to 2011, had announced his retirement from off-road racing on January 1st, saying:

"I gave it my all, and even though the sport took a lot, it also rewarded me with more than I could have ever imagined when I first started."

#2807 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:28

Note that Mrs Fred (Mary) Nelson's death was actually on the 2nd July 1921, not 5th as previously stated (source: Atlantic News Telegraph, 5th July 1921, pg 1)

#2808 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,413 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 14:35

Posted Image
On January 28th, 2012 South African racing driver Curt Alchin (44) crashed fatally at Victoria Raceway in Port Elizabeth.
PE Herald article
Wheels.24
Posted Image

#2809 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:49

A young New Zealand superbike rider died on Friday 10 February as a result of injuries from a crash last month.

Cameron Peter Jones, 19, crashed during the early stages of day two at the New Zealand Superbike Championship meeting at Timaru on January 15.

The 2008 New Zealand 125GP champion was taken by ambulance to Timaru Hospital, before being transferred to Christchurch Hospital.

#2810 ROGETS10

ROGETS10

• 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:39

I was considering contributing to this thread when the realisation came upon me that I did not want to be remembered by my nearest and dearest as a morbid old nutter.
Do some real work boys and reminisce in the after life. Introduce yourselves---- I'll be the chap installing air-con in hell.

#2811 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:32

Oakland Tribune, 6th September 1921, pg 2

"A.Foster of Dunkirk, KS, an entrant in an automobile racing event at Girard, KS, was killed there yesterday when his motor car swerved from the track and turned over."

#2812 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:07

A young New Zealand superbike rider died on Friday 10 February as a result of injuries from a crash last month.

Cameron Peter Jones, 19, crashed during the early stages of day two at the New Zealand Superbike Championship meeting at Timaru on January 15.

The 2008 New Zealand 125GP champion was taken by ambulance to Timaru Hospital, before being transferred to Christchurch Hospital.

Geez, that's awfully sad. :(

RIP.

#2813 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,243 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:21

And very unfortunatly another young rider was killed yesterday at Phillip Island. 17y/o Oscar McIntyre from Qld was killed in a Superstock 600cc race when he came together with 2 other riders at the turn 2/3 area. Very sad.

#2814 Coral

Coral

• 2,842 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 14:20

Such sad news about Oscar McIntyre...just 17 years old, how tragic. Bike racing is going through quite a sad time at the moment, four months after losing poor Marco Simoncelli. RIP Oscar. :cry:

#2815 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,106 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:52

Speedway Round-up, Billboard magazine, June 12 1948:

LOCKPORT, NY. Leland R Morrison, 40, Rochester, NY, was killed Monday (31)[31st June] when his hot-rod racer overturned on the Niagara County fairgrounds track. No other cars were involved in the accident.

#2816 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,106 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:05

"The Final Curtain", Billboard, July 9, 1949:

HEID-Matt, 35, racing car driver, killed June 29 when his stock car went over a 10-foot wall and overturned during a race at the Owosso (Mich) speedway.

#2817 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 822 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:42

This probably doesn't qualify for 'the toll' as it wasn't a motorsport event but it's sad nonetheless. Occured over the weekend just passed evidently.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-boy-death.html

#2818 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,200 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:05

Sad news from Goodwood - #Taken from the BBC website

A 27-year-old driver has died after a crash at Goodwood motor racing circuit.

Sandra Harrison-Moore was killed after appearing to lose control of her car during a time trial, Sussex Police said.

Ms Harrison-Moore, of Blackthorn Grove, Milton Keynes, who was driving a Caterham type sports car, died later in hospital, police said.

Police said she crashed after coming out of the last bend in the trial and hit a tyre wall, on Saturday.
Coroner informed

Ms Harrison-Moore was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital with serious head injuries after the crash at 14:50 BST, before she later died.

Insp Phil Nicholas said: "This appears to have been a tragic crash during a regular time trial event and our thoughts go to the victim's family, who were with her when she died."

He said Sussex road policing officers were called to the circuit and had been investigating the crash on behalf of the West Sussex coroner, but there was no evidence of any other vehicle being involved.

An inquest would be opened in due course, he added.

Insp Nicholas said the event was organised by the Motor Sports Association.

No-one from the association or Goodwood motor racing circuit has yet commented on Ms Harrison-Moore's death.

#2819 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,243 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 16:08

A sidecar passenger was killed at Sandown Park in 1976.
No details, no informations.
The accident occurred almost at the same place (the tricky hairpin before the main straight) in which Len McDonough lost his life one year later during a Mini race, on 17 April 1977, and also the Finnish rally legend Timo Makinen crashed another Mini suffering injuries, about 1967.

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 02 May 2012 - 16:09.

Advertisement

#2820 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,744 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:41

British speedway rider Lee Richardson killed in a race in Poland.
http://www.guardian....son-dies-poland

#2821 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,413 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 19:35

Sprint car driver Jeff Osborn was killed on Friday (May 11).
Source

Missouri driver killed at Valley Speedway
By DAWN BORMANN
The Kansas City Star

Sprint car racer Jeff Osborn died Friday night after his car hit a pole at Valley Speedway in Grain Valley.
The wreck happened in front of a crowd, including his family, at the speedway.
Authorities said Osborn, 38, of Savannah, Mo., somehow lost control during the race. His sprint car left the track and rolled before striking the pole, according to Assistant Chief Eddie Saffell of the Central Jackson County Fire Protection District.
Medical crews took Osborn to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Saffell said.
Osborn’s wife, Tina Osborn, said her husband had been racing in various motor sports since he was 16 years old.
He stopped racing a few years ago, but the sabbatical didn’t last long.
“If he could have gone professional, he would have,” she said.
Osborn was a self-employed contractor who devoted much of his free time to racing. But that didn’t mean it wasn’t time spent with family. His wife said that she and his two boys, ages 14 and 12, were considered part of his team.
Those who knew him best understand that racing was his passion, Tina Osborn said.
She said the Grain Valley track appeared to be in good shape Friday night.
“He used all the safety precautions that they possibly had,” she said.
She said fatality wrecks were uncommon at this level.
Saffell agreed, saying that injuries can and do happen at Valley Speedway, but life-threatening injuries are rare.
“That’s the first time that we had anything like that,” he said.
Osborn was well known on the sprint car racing circuit. He spent much of his racing career at tracks in Nebraska.

#2822 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,416 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:07

Originally posted by Nanni Dietrich
From two (very) old messages, please Ray: I'm not able to find any other news about these names in all the 53 pages of this thread. Can you (or any other friend who knows) give some more informations about the accidents that claimed the lives of Terry Hook... Len Goodwin... Pat Burke... Jack Wilson... Tom Geoghegan... Graham Stafford...

Terry Hook - I know nothing about this except that he died during a charity rally while driving a Holden HR sedan. I think he hit a tree.

I explained before that Len Goodwin and Pat Burke were still alive, Tom Geoghegan died of natural causes.

Graham Stafford - died aged 24, well-known and popular rally driver in Minis, died on May 22, 1965 after a head-on collision during a rally.

Jack Wilson - 34 at the time of his death on November 23, 1965, was killed in a workshop accident. He was a race engine builder and tuner and if I recall correctly something from an engine he was testing came apart and killed him.

#2823 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,200 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:29

Unfortunately Scottish rider Mark Buckley died from his injuries following an accident just after York Corner during yesterdays NW200 Superstock race

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland-18128784

#2824 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:13

From Autosport, 24th May 2012, pg 32

Rallye Regional Plan de la Tour - two people were killed (a marshal and a spectator) and 17 injured when a car went off the road - the rally was cancelled. (19th May). Accident was on SS3 (La Mourre) - source: http://www.ffsa.org/...2&catCourse=ral

#2825 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:33

19/05/2012

On the very same day on which a marshal and a spectator were killed at the rally "Réginal Pays de Maures" in the south of France, two more people died at the "Sezoensrally of Bocholt", a rally held annually in Bocholt, Belgium. Driver Roel Vrolix(40) and co-driver Stef Winters(43) died after their rented Mitsubishi Lancer hit a tree, and caught fire. It was supposed to be Roel's final rally, as he planned to devote himself to the organization of the rally. The rally was cancelled after the accident. The community was badly hit.

The 19th of may was a black day for European rally sport :(

Edited by Elwing, 25 May 2012 - 14:35.

#2826 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 20:26

I dip into this thread very rarely, tonight being my first look for probably more than a year.

One thing strikes me immediately; motor cycle racing and rallying are a sight more dangerous than pure circuit motor racing.

#2827 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 21:03

In motor racing it is the drivers that die, but in rallying, unfortunately, it is often the spectators.

There have been 9 deaths in Belgium alone in rally events since 1995. And it is a very small country. Apart from the two I mentioned before, all were bystanders.
Crowd control at rallies remains a problem. There have been cases of spectators behaving irresponsibly, and standing in closed areas. But most died after freak accidents in areas that were supposed to be safe, like the two who were killed by flying debris last year after a car hit a concrete bench next to the track.
The problem with rallies is that the environment and the crowds are impossible to control. Unlike a race on a circuit where there are no obstacles, and crowds can be held at a safe distance by sturdy, permanent fences.
Of course, this is also the appeal of these events. I hope they can continue in this country, but right now, the future looks troubled.

#2828 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,200 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 21:53

I dip into this thread very rarely, tonight being my first look for probably more than a year.

One thing strikes me immediately; motor cycle racing and rallying are a sight more dangerous than pure circuit motor racing.

Generally because there are more hard things to hit with less protection !

Increasingly as cars race on circuits that are little more than car parks delineated by white lines, the statistics will only make bike racing / rallying look worse despite ever ongoing efforts to make them safer.

Since all competitors take part in full knowledge of the consequences I know I'd rather watch bikes at Aberdare than cars at Abu Dhabi !!

( Congratulations on last Saturday, looking forward to the meeting at the Boleyn next season !! )

#2829 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:13

:blush: :)

#2830 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,413 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 18:18

On 23 May 2012 a twelve-year old boy died from injuries suffered in a crash four days earlier. This is an article by Steven Cole Smith on Autoweek.com:

Tyler Morr crashed his black No. 17 into the wall at Auburndale Speedway in Florida last Saturday night. Emergency crews cut him from the car, then airlifted him to the hospital. He hung on for nearly four days. For a while, it appeared that the prayers were working. But at 3:12 p.m. on Wednesday, with his family at his side, Tyler Morr died.
He was 12.
Tyler wasn’t driving a kart or a quarter-midget. He was competing in the Auburndale Kid’s Club, a series that races at the little quarter-mile paved oval alongside modifieds and street stocks. The Kid’s Club cars are four-cylinder, front-wheel-drive cars like Chevrolet Cavaliers, Honda Civics and, a favorite at Auburndale, Dodge Daytonas. Drivers can be as young as five. At that age, they drive, and an adult rides in a passenger seat. As they get older and more experienced, the kids drive by themselves.
Like all of the others in his class, Tyler’s car had a roll cage, window net, belts and a steel-bar-reinforced front bumper. He was wearing a firesuit and a closed-face helmet. When he and fellow racer Justin Cribbs, also 12, got together, Tyler spun and crashed into the concrete wall. Their speed was estimated to be less than 50 mph, and based on the fact that I’ve raced at Auburndale in comparable cars—they are called “Scramblers” when adults race them, and one of the Cavaliers that I own was the series champion a few years ago—I’d think that’s probably right.
A caged stock car hitting a wall at an oval track on a Saturday night? That happens dozens of times at hundreds of tracks across the country. Almost always, the safety equipment does it job. Almost always, the drivers walk away.
And once in a while, they don’t. And we have a tragedy. And when the driver is 12 . . .
Critics, and count on plenty, will criticize the Morr family for allowing their child to race a real car at a real track.
Supporters, and count on plenty—though they won’t get nearly the ink and air time of the critics—will say that Tyler could have died playing football or baseball, or crossing the street. They’ll say that he died “doing what he loved,” which has likely been used to comfort the bereaved since the first caveman died while hunting a saber-toothed tiger. And the hunt, or the races, will go on “because that’s what he would have wanted.”
This Saturday night, there will be a race at Auburndale Speedway in Tyler’s honor. They will pass the hat. If I was home instead of at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, I’d be there, and I’d probably tow a race car down and compete. Because I reconciled a long time ago that the only sport I care about can be so cruel, so unfair. I decline to apologize or justify. You get it or you don’t. I prefer the company of those who do.
I’ve watched in person nine race-car drivers die. The worst—or the worst so far—was in a midget race. The driver was a paraplegic from a racing crash a few years earlier, and he drove with hand controls. His car flipped over a wall and into the front-stretch fence. I had been in the infield and walked up close. To my right there was the driver’s wife, pushing her husband’s wheelchair to the crash. Her face said “God, please, let him get out and climb into this wheelchair, and we can go home.”
He did not. It was a wrenching, profoundly poignant moment that I will never forget. But next week, and the next, I was back.
All that said, I can’t imagine what the Morr family is going through. To know that you enabled a child to participate in an activity that, by all accounts, he loved but that ended his life, must be almost unbearable. It took me a long time to understand why my father was so frantic and so angry that day when he bought me a brand-new Schwinn—and I promptly rode it right into traffic. My dad and I were lucky. Tyler, and his family, were not.
If you had been praying for Tyler, please, keep on praying for his family. And maybe for all of us who embrace a sport that kills

BTW, the personal dates of the two unlucky Belgian rally men from last weekend can be found here:
Roel Vrolix, Stef Winters

#2831 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 15:33

Yet more rally-related fatalities.

Two spectators killed and seven injured at Cavan Stages car rally

A garda investigation is under way after the incident, which happened 2km outside Bailieborough at around 11:30am this morning.
Witnesses have said the car appeared to go out of control before hitting a group of people standing beside a road side fence.
The HSE said seven people were being treated for their injuries at Cavan General Hospital.
It did not disclose the severity of their injuries.
The rally has been cancelled and garda experts are examining the scene of the accident.
One witness Matthew McMahon said that "the car went over the crest, spun off the road through a fence and I heard the skid of the car."
He continued, "people were screaming and shouting red flag, red flag, stop the stage! There were people crying."

http://www.rte.ie/ne...-car-rally.html

#2832 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,416 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 21:22

Originally posted by FredF1
.....[i]Two spectators killed and seven injured at Cavan Stages car rally.....

.....Witnesses have said the car appeared to go out of control before hitting a group of people standing beside a road side fence.....

One certainly hopes so...

#2833 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,243 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:34

There was a fatality today at Mallala. An improved production driver was killed when he hit the wall on the kink on the back straight.
The name has not been announced as yet so I will wait before saying anymore.

#2834 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:49

There was a fatality today at Mallala. An improved production driver was killed when he hit the wall on the kink on the back straight.
The name has not been announced as yet so I will wait before saying anymore.

Announcement as per Improved Production Racing Association of South Australia Website:
Saturday 2nd June 2012

It is with great sadness that the IPRASA wish to pass on our con­do­lences to the Rooke family and friends after Michael’s passing at round two of the SAMRC. A much loved com­peti­tor and friend of many, a true gen­tle­man who will be sadly missed.

Scott Clements

Pres­i­dent of the IPRASA

Edited by chequer57, 03 June 2012 - 04:51.

#2835 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:55

Sorry guys, and to all involved. :(

#2836 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,243 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:59

Announcement as per Improved Production Racing Association of South Australia Website:
Saturday 2nd June 2012

It is with great sadness that the IPRASA wish to pass on our con­do­lences to the Rooke family and friends after Michael’s passing at round two of the SAMRC. A much loved com­peti­tor and friend of many, a true gen­tle­man who will be sadly missed.

Scott Clements

Pres­i­dent of the IPRASA

Evidently the evidence suggests he may have had a medical problem being at least in part resonsible for the accident.
Very sad for all. His family and friends, fellow competitors and the organisers.

#2837 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,416 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:43

This would be, I'm sure, the first 4-wheeled fatality at Mallala since it opened in 1961...

Was this the same barrier that claimed the life of Liam Magee ten years ago?

#2838 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,243 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:35

This would be, I'm sure, the first 4-wheeled fatality at Mallala since it opened in 1961...

Was this the same barrier that claimed the life of Liam Magee ten years ago?

From what I gather Liam crashed a couple of hundred yards further north. He came unstuck going through the kink whereas this happened just before. There is airfence there now but this accident happened before the airfence. It broke the concrete wall.
As far as I remember the first driver fatality but a flaggie was killed about 20 years ago when an errant GpN Studebaker hit the flagpoint at the final corner. Kay Morriset was the ladies name.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 06 June 2012 - 07:37.

#2839 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,416 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:48

Has that been recorded on the website?

This is the first mention of her name on this thread.

Advertisement

#2840 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,738 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:06

If you mean the Motorsport Memorial site, then yes, both these deaths at Mallala are recorded:

http://www.motorspor...p;Search=Submit

#2841 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,330 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 16:56

Motorsport Memorial asks for information about Cap Woodhouse - I don't have much, but he died October 7, 1933 at the Forsyth County Fairgrounds in Winston-Salem (NC) during a AAA "sprint car" programme. The main event was won by Bert Hellmueller, still very much at the beginning of his long career, and second place went to Hank Gritzbach, another driver whose career would extend well into the fifties, incidentally.

Woodhouse appears to have been a regular of the southern AAA races on the Hankinson circuit, although I only have two appearances for him - these races are extremely tough to research! He drove a #18 Fronty in 1932, and chances are he drove the same car in '33, too.

#2842 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,243 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 14:16

Englishman CR Norris, killed driving a Lea Francis in the first ever car meeting at Magilligan Strand, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. 1924.

He was George Norman Norris who was killed driving a Lea Francis at Magilligan Strand on 9th October 1926
Source: Motor Sport Magazine - November 1926 - page 146, article "Death Of Mr. G.N. Norris Whilst Sand Racing". He was well known as a regular competitor at Brooklands.

#2843 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,744 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 14:43

A death at a drag event. The driver was a Richard Moore (sp?)
http://fox8.com/2012...n-raceway-park/

#2844 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,200 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:09

Sad news from Sicily as reported on Autosports news page today.

British co-driver Gareth Roberts has been killed in an accident on the Targa Florio Rally, round five of the Intercontinental Rally Challenge.

Roberts, sharing a Peugeot 207 S2000 with Irishman Craig Breen, died when their car impacted with a guardrail on the eighth stage of the all-asphalt event, near Palermo in Sicily. Breen was unhurt in the accident.

The accident took place just after the eighth kilometre of the Cefalu stage on a left-hand bend, striking the guardrail on the right hand side in an accident that the rally organisers described as being similar to that which Robert Kubica suffered in Italy last year.

At the time, Breen and Roberts were lying sixth overall. They were driving a Peugeot run by the Italian HRT squad in a one-off outing before being due to rejoin their regular Sainteloc team for the Ypres Rally next weekend.

The event was immediately abandoned, with Skoda's Jan Kopecky expected to be declared the winner.

Roberts, who was 24 and from Wales, trained as an electrician. He began competing in 2004 and achieved considerable success in the one-make Fiesta SportTrophy series. He formed his formidable partnership with Breen for the start of the 2009 season, which included the pair winning the inaugural FIA World Rally Championship Academy Cup in 2011.

This year, they were embarking on a partial IRC campaign, having finished fifth on the Circuit of Ireland and sixth on the Tour of Corsica, and also chasing the Super 2000 WRC title.

IRC manager Jean-Pierre Nicolas said: "It's a very sad accident that reminds us that motorsport is dangerous. Accidents can affect both driver and co-driver in rallying, and sadly, more often than not it is the co-driver who suffers - as we saw in 2005 on Rally Great Britain when Michael Park was killed.

"The death of a 24-year-old young man at the start of a fantastic career is always a tragedy. At this terrible time, I'm thinking very much of Gareth's family."

#2845 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,330 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 15:40

Motorsport Memorial is a bit short on detail about Art Hines; maybe I can help:

The death notice in Portland's "Morning Oregonian" (Tuesday, Sep 5, 1933) read:

HINES - September 3, Arthur (Art) Durant Hines, husband of Bernice Hines, father of William James and Arthur D. Hines Jr.; brother of Hubert Alvin and Albert Frederick Hines. Edward Holman & Son, S. E. 27th ave. and Hawthorne blvd., directors. Funeral notice later.

Despite many reports to the contrary, the accident happened on Sunday (Sep 3), and not Saturday (Sep 2). Hines had just completed (the first lap of) his time trial when he lost control, rolled over and down a 15-foot embankment outside of the track (ibd. Sep 4):

He died in a Portland sanitarium at 7:30 P. M. without recovering consciousness. He suffered a fractured rib, a puncture of the right lung and a dislocated left hip. His lips were badly cut. (...) Hines lived in the Wauna court apartments, Portland.

Art Hines was often listed as being from Denver, or Longmont (CO) to be more precise. MM's listing of his birthplace as Toronto (CDN) still makes sense, in view of the French nature of his and his brothers names. Perhaps the family moved from Canada to Colorado? His first appearance in my records is a July 4, 1925 race at Lincoln (NE), and exactly a year later he appears for the first time in the Northwest, at Everett (WA).

Hines quickly became one of the leading independent drivers of the area, and stayed there for the rest of his career, except for a short spell with the AAA in California (1929/30). He was an exceptional qualifier, taking many fast times and lap records, but a rather infrequent main event winner, it seems - the only two I have for him (prior to 1933) both came, ironically, at Gresham Speedway (May 4 and June 15, 1930), the little "speed bowl" in a Portland suburb that came to be his undoing. He had his share of accidents, too, but nothing out of the ordinary - he was sidelined twice from racing injuries, though, ending both the 1927 (at Vancouver, BC) and 1928 seasons (at Gresham) prematurely.

His big break came in the winter of 1932/3, when he was signed by fellow Portland driver/owner, Fred Roach to drive the potent #1 Roach/Miller (with a 183 cubic inch "medium block" marine Miller engine). With it, he won at Vancouver (WA) June 18, Gresham (OR) July 4, Yakima (WA) July 23 and Eugene (OR) August 6, besides taking a run of trophy dashes and heat wins, and a few track records to boot. He was leading the standings of the Western Auto Racing Association (WARA) in August, but young Arthur "Shorty" Scovell from Seattle (WA) was running a close second. Scovell, almost a full generation younger than Hines, had been driving at Legion Ascot Speedway in 1931 and '32, and brought an Ascot car with a fast Miller-Schofield engine on a Model A Ford block to the Pacific Northwest in '33. When the going got tough, he also enlisted the help of his older brother Bob Scovell, a veteran of WARA and AAA racing for almost a decade, and the two of them began rattling Hines's cage in no uncertain manner.

Things became quite heated, and suddenly newspapers were refering to Art "Suicide" Hines, a somewhat irky moniker, especially in view of what was to come! At Myrtle Point (OR), on August 13, Hines crashed into one of the Scovell brothers (newspaper reports are somewhat confused as to which one) while trying to wrest the lead from him, putting both out, and a week later Art Scovell defeated him at Gresham to take over the championship points lead, just prior to the season's final at the same track only a fortnight later - oh boy! The final Gresham show was going to be a double header, with racing both on Sunday (Sep 3) and Labor Day Monday (Sep 4), but it all came to nought when Hines crashed fatally in qualifying for the first day. Art Scovell apparently decided to sit out the racing activities after the accident, but still won the championship on the strength of his earlier performances; Hines won runner-up honours posthumously.

Hines appears to have been a well respected member of the "racing fraternity", and on one occasion he was chosen to head a commitee of drivers that was going to promote a race meeting at Bagley Park Speedway in Vancouver (WA) - the fellows just didn't want to sit out a free weekend (June 24, 1928), and decided to go ahead without a professional promoter. I haven't been able to find out if the meeting was a success, but in any case it wasn't repeated.

Edited by Michael Ferner, 18 June 2012 - 16:06.

#2846 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,243 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 13:31

An accident that claimed the lives of two Belgian rally drivers occurred during an unspecified Belgian rally, near the village of Villers-le-Bouillet, Belgium, on Sunday, 23 April 1989. The car driven by Fabrice Delmont with co-driver Frédéric Jacobs crashed at high speed into a lamppost. Both men were killed almost instantly.

Nothing is available in the web, about this sad fact (very strange, indeed).

What did really happen? what rally? what car?

#2847 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,413 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 20:55

It seems the following one has not been mentioned earlier.

From Paul Campfield's website:

Worst thing

Dave Hardy’s accident at Cadwell Park. Me and Dave Coplowe just missed T-boning him as he got out of his car broadside at the top of the hill over the blind brow, after the start and finish straight. Sadly a Sprite didn’t. He died 3 years later after living as a tetraplegic for his remaining years.

#2848 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,200 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 00:35

RIP Dave Allan

http://www.btcc.net/...amp;searchterm=

#2849 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:53

Autosport, 19th July 2012, og 31

Bohuslav Cepcecha (1977-2012)
Martin Semerad's co-driver Bohuslav Cepcecha died when the pair crashed on the 3rd stage of Rally Bohemia last weekend.

#2850 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 325 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 20:29

Autosport, 19th July 2012, og 31

Bohuslav Cepcecha (1977-2012)
Martin Semerad's co-driver Bohuslav Cepcecha died when the pair crashed on the 3rd stage of Rally Bohemia last weekend.

his name was Bohuslav Ceplecha