Photo

Speed's ultimate price: the toll...

• Please log in to reply
3017 replies to this topic

#2901 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:11

No, the race was Sep 4; Labor Day was rained out.

Advertisement

#2902 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:59

Bradford Era, 22nd October 1923, pg 8

Hawthorne Track, IL
21st October 1923

Joseph Kroll, 12, was killed just after the races finished when he walked on the track and was struck by a car driven by John Martinez, a mechanic, who was trying out the car. Martinez was threatened by the crowds and was rescued by the police.

#2903 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:52

Goshen Daily Democrat, 26th October 1923, pg 2

Princeton, IN, October 25th - Charles Nation, 40, of Worthington IN, driver in a 25 mile automobile race on a half mile dirt track at the Gibson County Fairgrounds was killed instantly when his car went through the fence on the first lap. A few moments later, a wheel thrown from another racing car struck Michael Schumacher, 40, and his sister-inl-aw, Mrs Tina A.Shephard, 50, and Miss Thelmer Spoer, 18, spectators.

#2904 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 14:37

And Mr Schumacher is looking very good for his age.

In the Bicknell Daily News, 31st October 1923, pg 4, there is a little bit more on this:

"Worthington, Oct 30: Riley Nation, father of Charles E.Nation, who was killed in an autombile race at Princenton Thursday, was arrested here on a charge of assault and battery with intent to kill Earl Johnson, half owber of the car Nation was driving at the time of his death. Johnson claims the father of Nation attempted to kill him with a hammer Thursday, after learning of his son's death. The father is said to think that Johnon is responsible for his son's participation in the race at Princeton. The race was a feature event of a Ku Klux Klan picnic. Johnson said that while he was calling Princeton over the telephone Thursday, to get the detauls of the accident and giving directions to the undertaker, Riley Nation sneaked upon him from behind and would have killed him if he had not been stopped by bystanders. When Johnson became aware of what was happening, he ran, and Nation threw the hammer at him. He ducked in time. Nation has been released under a $1,000 bond signed by J.E.Hubbell."

#2905 SteveE

SteveE

• 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 16:33

Charles E. Nation was also closer to the age 36, when he died.

#2906 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:36

Goshen Daily Democrat, 16th July 1923, pg 1

“Joseph Betley, 34, who was injured when struck by a race car on the dirt track at the Hoosier Speedway, died in a hospital today. Betley, a guard, went on the track to warn other drivers of an accident when he was struck y a car piloted by Ray Bucther.”

Think this happened on the 7th July event, need to confirm.

#2907 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:27

The accident happened on July 14; the July 7 event was rained out.

#2908 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 19:54

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-21484373

A 50-year-old woman has died after a rally car left a forest track and hit spectators in the Highlands.

An eight-year-old boy was taken to hospital but police said his condition was not believed to be life-threatening.

The incident happened on the first stage of the Highland Car Club Snowman Rally in Glenurquhart Forest, at Balnain, five miles west of Loch Ness.

The event was the opening round of the 2013 Scottish Rally Championship.

Northern Constabulary said the rally had been abandoned at about 12:00.

Officers said one other person had been hurt in the collision but they were not seriously injured and were described as "walking wounded".

The injured eight-year-old was taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness.

Neither the driver nor the co-driver of the rally car were injured in the incident.

Officers said the details of the dead woman would not be released until all next of kin had been informed.

In a statement, the Highland Car Club said: "Following an incident on special stage 1 of the Snowman Rally in which an adult spectator was fatally injured the event has been abandoned.

"The club extends its sympathies to the families of those involved."

The statement said the club would be cooperating fully with Northern Constabulary's investigation.

The event attracted 110 competing crews and was due to include five stages.

#2909 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:53

The 1923 Fred Hackett entry in motorsportmemorial.org states that the track is not known - it was the Imperial Valley County Club track, which is probably the Imperial Valley Speedway as listed in Allan Brown's book (source: Berkeley Daily Gazette, 2nd January 1923, pg 15)

#2910 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,169 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 20:43

The 1923 Fred Hackett entry in motorsportmemorial.org states that the track is not known - it was the Imperial Valley County Club track, which is probably the Imperial Valley Speedway as listed in Allan Brown's book (source: Berkeley Daily Gazette, 2nd January 1923, pg 15)

This one has me stumped. I too noticed the Imperial Valley Country Club mention in the Oakland Tribune, but being that Oakland is so far from the Imperial Valley, I'd like a more local source.

It definitely is not the same as the fairgrounds track.

#2911 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 15:12

Kokomo Tribune, 4th September 1923, pg 4

Laporte, IN
4th September 1923

Ralph Dunkelbarger, 5, was killed when a tyre of a racing car in a race here came off at a turn, striking the boy in the face.

#2912 Ivan88

Ivan88

• 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:09

Goshen Daily Democrat, 26th October 1923, pg 2

Princeton, IN, October 25th - Charles Nation, 40, of Worthington IN, driver in a 25 mile automobile race on a half mile dirt track at the Gibson County Fairgrounds was killed instantly when his car went through the fence on the first lap. A few moments later, a wheel thrown from another racing car struck Michael Schumacher, 40, and his sister-inl-aw, Mrs Tina A.Shephard, 50, and Miss Thelmer Spoer, 18, spectators.

I have been researching the history of auto/motorcycle racing in SW Indiana, SE Illinois and Western Kentucky. Charles Nation's fatal wreck happend on the first lap of the race. The spectators that were injured happened on the third lap of the race. Spectator Tina Sheppard who was injured when the wheel went into the stands at Princeton on 25 October 1923, passed away on 28 October 1923 as a result of her injuries.

#2913 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 13:58

A search on this and other TNF threads does not bring up the name Jim Barrie, a Tasmanian (formerly of Victoria) who was killed at Queens Domain hillclimb in November 1961, having inverted his Barrie Zephyr sports car.

As the Australian newpapers for the period 1955 onwards are not available on line yet, I am having difficulty determining the date of this meeting and Jim's death.

He moved to Tasmania in early 1950s, having served in Papua New Guinea during the war and having been a midget speedcar driver in Melbourne in the late 1930s.

Can anyone assist?

It happened on Sunday, 05 November 1961.
http://www.motorspor...h...=ct&n=10954

#2914 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:14

Goshen Daily Democrat, 16th July 1923, pg 2

Columbus Driving Park, OH
15th July 1923

Philip Daniel Boone was killed and four others hurt when five cars piled up in a curve during races.

#2915 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 22:19

Can anyone help. I was up at Croft for the NEMCRC season opener a couple of weeks back and got talking to an older spectator who was telling me how he helped his brother running race cars in the 70s until he was killed in a crash in Belgium - apparently his car went under the armco and he was decapitated.

I was just wondering if anyone had any more information on this driver or the incident - I was so surprised by the story that I never actually asked his name, but presumably a British driver and in a smaller race meeting.

Thanks.

#2916 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 00:15

For someone my age, this description immediately relates to the tragic demise of Gerry Birrell - although of course this happened in Normandy, France , and not in Belgium. I'm not sure Gerry had a brother , though ....

edit : he didn't have "a" brother, he actually had two ( Graham and Ian ) according to a post by Graham Gauld a few years back in the dedicated thread...
http://forums.autosp...l=gerry birrell

Edited by philippe7, 17 April 2013 - 00:26.

#2917 fer312t

fer312t

• 793 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:47

Can anyone help. I was up at Croft for the NEMCRC season opener a couple of weeks back and got talking to an older spectator who was telling me how he helped his brother running race cars in the 70s until he was killed in a crash in Belgium - apparently his car went under the armco and he was decapitated.

I was just wondering if anyone had any more information on this driver or the incident - I was so surprised by the story that I never actually asked his name, but presumably a British driver and in a smaller race meeting.

Thanks.

Sounds like maybe Richard Sutherland...also from North Yorkshire

http://www.motorspor...hp?db=ct&n=2381

Edited by fer312t, 17 April 2013 - 04:50.

#2918 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,850 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:23

That scenario also fits Chris Bristow at Spa, 1960.

#2919 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,037 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:16

Thanks.

Tim, I wonder whether the spectator you spoke to was Michael Sutherland, Richard's younger brother. Across on 10-Tenths he was asking some years ago if anyone had more information on the accident, and tells us that he was present that day at Zolder, poor lad, aged eight. I don't know the Sutherlands but perhaps there are other brothers too.

Advertisement

#2920 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 20:17

Thanks for the info, the Sutherland incident certainly seems to be the one being described, although I think the chap I was speaking to may have actually been his brother-in-law and said that he had helped him run cars at domestic meetings during the decade.

#2921 theracer120

theracer120

• 26 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:07

Yesterday there was a fatality on the Targa Tasmania.

Authorities have released the name of the driver killed in the opening stage on day one of the Targa Tasmania rally.

John Mansell, a director from New South Wales, died in the horrific accident that destroyed his Porsche Cayman beyond recognition.

Mansell, 70, had been driving the Cayman on the Porters Bridge Road section at Exton, 50km west of Launceston when he and co-driver Tristan Catford fired off the road at high speed before the car hit a large tree.

CAMS and Targa Tasmania organisers Octagon put out a joint statement which read: “John Mansell was fatally injured in a single car accident involving a 2009 Porsche Cayman.

“His co-driver Tristan Catford, suffered injuries in the accident and was taken to Launceston General Hospital. Tasmania Police attended the scene to investigate and issued a statement and will make a report to the coroner.

“CAMS and Octagon will continue to assist authorities in this matter.

“CAMS and Octagon are extremely saddened by the loss of a valued member. Our thoughts and sympathy go out to family and friends at this difficult time.”

No further competition was conducted on the stage as police investigators examined the scene of the accident.

Mansell, who was born in Launceston, was a popular figure among the tight-knit tarmac rally fraternity.

Catford, who is listed as a property valuer in the official event entry list, is from Jamestown in South Australia.

Article from Speedcafe.

#2922 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 14:05

Rio Grande Farmer, 5th July 1923, pg 1

Las Cruce, NM
4th July 1923 – Road circuit

Charles “Red” Butler, mechanician for car #9 driven by Robert Walter, died from injuries sustained on the fifth lap of the race when their car collided with car #4 driven by Dean Hill. Hill drove over a bridge and stopped, and Walter, following behind, was unable to pass without driving into a ditch. Both cars collided, with Walter and Butler being thrown clear. Butler suffered internal injuries and a punctured lung, and died several hours later in the Hotel Dieu, El Paso.

#2923 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,240 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:38

A British contributor of the Motorsport-Memorial sent a message about an obscure accident that happened in the early 1960s in an unspecific hillclimb in Ireland, in which one Stuart Fox was killed while driving an MG Midget.

Any detail? do you know more info?

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 26 April 2013 - 14:41.

#2924 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 20:07

Sad news from Donington

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-22424981

Edited by LittleChris, 06 May 2013 - 20:15.

#2925 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 13:57

A correction for Motorsport Memorial: all three 1967 Devil's Bowl fatalities (A. D. Trowell, Bill Rogers and Jim Lunday) happened on the new 1/2-mile track, not the 3/8. The track, originally situated within the city limits of Dallas, had been "moved" to a location near Mesquite during the winter of 1965/66 when the original location was given over to development. The new track was a 3/8 of a mile, like the original, but during the next winter it was expanded to a full half. This, apparently, created problems, as speeds rose, and the track reverted back to its 3/8 configuration after protests (and a strike!) by the sanctioning body, the Dallas Racing Club.

#2926 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,371 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:31

A correction for Motorsport Memorial...

It seems there isn't anything to be corrected anymore.
Today the website says: "This Account Has Been Suspended".

#2927 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 18:43

Well, that was a bit harsh...

#2928 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 19:50

It seems there isn't anything to be corrected anymore.
Today the website says: "This Account Has Been Suspended".

Motorsport Memorial is back online

#2929 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,249 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:12

Interlagos, March 30th 1947.

Reports of two spectator deaths are correct. As already recorded on Motorsport Memorial, Manuel Martins, aged 33, seems to have died at the scene. Another spectator, Ari Veiga (or perhaps Velga?), aged 23, was initially on the list of injured, but died later.

Sources: São Paulo newspapers Folha de Noite, March 31st 1947 and Folha de Manhã April 1st 1947, via http://acervo.folha.com.br/

Going on to deal with Milton Zappia (not Zapia as on MSM). He was not killed during this meeting (nor on May 30th) and should be deleted from MSM's records. He was competing in a supporting touring car race on March 30th and although his car crashed and rolled spectacularly, he survived. Mr Zappia seems to have been a well-known São Paulo lawyer (so much so that his crash was part of the headline on the race report) and regular mentions can be found of him on both http://acervo.estadao.com.br/ and http://acervo.folha.com.br/ - well after 1947! Presumably this is another of those stories which has grown legs of its own, probably partly thanks to somebody misreading a three as a five ...

#2930 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 21:03

RIP Yoshinari Matsushita who died tonight afer crashing at Ballacrye during practice for next weeks IOM TT races.

http://www.iomtt.com...alf-of-ACU.aspx

#2931 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,371 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 21:20

Austrian Hanspeter Laber (52) crashed fatally on the downhill return AFTER a hillclimb in Verzegnis in Italy on Sunday, 26 May 2013.
[Source]

#2932 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,240 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 15:12

Austrian Hanspeter Laber (52) crashed fatally on the downhill return AFTER a hillclimb in Verzegnis in Italy on Sunday, 26 May 2013.
[Source]

Laber was driving along the downhill, in convoy with many other competitors, following a Carabinieri's Subaru Forrester at slow speed.
Suddenly, his car went out of control. It slid off the track when it passed with the right wheels on the green beside the road, striking the edge of a guardrail. The impact destroyed the driver's door of the car, and a piece of armco entered the cockpit, inflicting severe injuries to Hanspeter Laber who died almost instantly.
The accident was very similar to the crash that killed co-driver Gareth Roberts during the 2012 Rally Targa Florio, or the one that seriously injured Polish Formula 1 driver Robert Kubica in February of 2011 during the Rally Ronde di Andora.

#2933 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,240 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 13:39

Missing from Motorsport Memorial is Sanford "Sam" Larsen (possibly: Larson), killed during qualifying for the 3rd Valley County Fair races at Ord, Nebraska on August 30, 1928. The event was held over three days, August 29 to 31, and sanctioned by the AAA for the first time in its history. It was also the only AAA race in Nebraska that year.

Larsen's fatal accident is also mentiond in later years in reports about the Ord races, wrongly dated as having happened in 1927. It is also mentioned in the book "Valley County Thunder" by V. Ray Valasek and Bob Mays, citing the correct year but giving the wrong date (August 28).

Larsen hailed from the small town of Holdrege in Nebraska, about fifty miles south of Ord, and was said to have been 26 years old. According to the reports, he'd been an employee at the DLD Tire Shop in Holdrege for six years, and had been racing for four years, citing some spurious accomplishments, including a second place finish at the 1926 Pikes Peak hill climb. In fact, there's no evidence that he ever competed at Pikes Peak, and his only other appearance in my records was at the 1927 Ord races in a Fronty Special, qualifying 9th in a field of twelve, and finishing second in the consy. During the time trials the day before his accident, he'd been 11th out of twelve, and failed to place in any of the races that day. Unnamed race officials were quoted as saying that they believed he was "pushing his car beyond its capacity", hitting a rut and crashing through a fence before finally turning over. He was taken to the Ord hospital and died in the evening, eight hours after the accident.

Sam Larsen's parents were given as Mr. and Mrs. Albert Larsen of Holdrege. He does not appear to have been married.

Michael, according to the 1920 United States Federal Census, his family name was Larson.

http://www.motorspor...h...=ct&n=10992

#2934 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 14:47

Thanks, Nanni. :)

#2935 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 15:49

I am sad to report that John Giddings, long-time competitor in many different fields of Motorsport in Australia passed away on 27 May 2013 after sustaining serious injuries during the Orange Classic Rally.
John was an enthusiastic, fierce and very professional competitor, who loved his Motorsport, and competed in everything from the Bathurst 1000 where he had best finish of 5th outright in a Sierra, campaigned a Nissan Gazelle Group C car, ran the NSW Nissan Dealer Team of 280Zs in Group E, competed in several Repco Round Australia Rallie, Safari Rallies and was competing in a Classic Datsun 180b at the time of his accident.
He leaves his wife Marilyn, son Michael and daughter Amy.

#2936 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,045 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:26

Jason Leffler, Nascar

16 September 1975 - 12 June 2013

http://sports.yahoo....-035008456.html

#2937 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:33

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22885146

Emma Wilkinson was killed on the Peking-Paris Rally for classic cars driving a 1970 Chevrolet C10 pickup. She collided with another car on an untimed section on a highway - the driver in the other car plus a baby were also killed.

#2938 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,371 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 17:54

French amateur driver Sébastien Clouzeau (30.12.1974 - 18.06.2013) crashed in a race for Historic Formula 3 cars at Spa on 16 June 2013 and died one and a half days later.
(Source 1) (Source 2)

#2939 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 16:43

Tragically, Allan Simonsen has run out of luck today at Le Mans. Yet more condolences due to another young family, friends and associates...and to his Aston Martin team mates.

DCN

Advertisement

#2940 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:10

German driver Wolf Silvester died on 22/6/13 at the Nürburgring - believed to have suffered a fatal heart-attack during the racing, leading to his crash.

The third round of the VLN endurance racing championship at the Nürburgring was stopped due to the death of ‘Wolf Silvester’, participant in the event, presumably as a consequence of health problems.

According to the statements made by the safety marshals, Silvester was driving on the track with his Opel Astra OPC apparently without having any more control over the car which then stopped between post 178 and 179 (access Schwalbenschwanz). The marshals reported to Race Control that the driver was sitting into the car, motionless. The rescue team, arriving at the site immediately after the report had been received, immediately initiated rescue measures and attempted to resuscitate the 55 years old driver. The attempts were continuously carried on during the transport to the Medical Centre at the circuit where the Chief Medical Officer finally had to testify the death due to an internal medical background.

Wolf Silvester who has been a regular participant in the VLN for many years has gained the endurance racing championship title in the years 2006 and 2010. “We are deeply concerned and our thoughts are with his family”, says VLN Chairman Rolf Krimpmann (Gladbeck/ Germany).

The results of the third race which was won by Ferdinand and Johannes Stuck (Munich) together with Frank Stippler (Bad Münstereifel/ Germany) in the Audi R8 LMS ultra entered by Phoenix Racing became rather an irrelevant fact under the given circumstances.

Source - http://www.vln.de/ne....gb.php?id=3284

#2941 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,240 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:25

Wolf Silvester was a pseudonym.
According to a German website, his complete name was Wolfgang Dess, 55, from Nuernberg.

#2942 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:57

Tragically, Allan Simonsen has run out of luck today at Le Mans. Yet more condolences due to another young family, friends and associates...and to his Aston Martin team mates.

DCN

Allan was almost an adopted Australian as he has done a lot of racing here in several categories, always with success. Everything from utes to V8 Supercar and GT racing.
Very sad and my condolences to his family friends and teams.

#2943 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:51

Motorsport Memorial claims that Don Carlo died in a Midget crash - that is not correct. Cross Bay Speedway (also known as Sunrise or Ozone Park) never ran Midgets, to the best of my knowledge, except for occasional exhibition match races during regular Big Car programmes, of which there were many at the track: running weekly for its entire life span, and occasionally semi-weekly, the track hosted more than 100 Big Car race meetings between 1934 and '38. Don Carlo died during qualifying for the September 15 races, the 17th of about 23 meetings that year, it seems - a Big Car programme of the Garden State Racing Association (GSRA) of New Jersey. GSRA and the local Automobile Racing Association (ARA) sanctioned most of the races at Cross Bay, sometimes in competetition with each other, sometimes in cooperation; a handful of the meetings had AAA sanction. Also, Cross Bay Speedway is the only circular dirt track in the world that can claim to have Tazio Nuvolari on ist drivers roster. But I digress.

The MM Team also asks for information on Don Carlo, and the background on his pseudonym: living in close-by Jamaica, he was a regular at Cross Bay as soon as the track opened in 1934, and began to go places the following year, winning at least three heat races. When the 1936 season opened under new management and with AAA sanction, Don Carlo acquitted himself well and qualified for both main events (the track went "outlaw" again after only two AAA shows). Up until then, he had always raced under his real name, which was variously given as Carl/Charles/Karl Beuerman/Beuerinna/Meuerman/Bauerman/Bauerson/Berriman/Buerman/Beuermen/Beuermann. Now, he had a problem: the AAA expected him to play by its rules, i.e. not take part in any non-sanctioned races, but he had never driven on any other track so far, and Cross Bay continued to run "at his doorstep". He could have just ditched his AAA membership, like many of the other Cross Bay regulars did, but apparently, he still harboured thoughts about "the big time", and began to run as "Don Carlo" at his home track.

As it happened, he never actually returned to AAA competition, and rarely ran on other tracks at all (he made a few visits on New Jersey tracks the following year). But, as "Don Carlo" he now began to have success, especially after taking over the driving duties of the "Honner Special", built and owned by Calvin Honner of Yonkers (NY). This car had won at least seven Cross Bay mains in 1934 when driven by Honner's neighbour Bill Holmes, who kickstarted his career as the ARA Champion of that year. Don Carlo won the last race of the 1936 Cross Bay season, as well as the third one of the 1937 campaign. Likely, it was the car in which he was eventually killed. It ran as #49 in 1934 and '35, when Len Duncan drove it, and probably kept the number in '36 and '37.

I do wonder, however, if the MM Team picked the right person from the census records, as Don Carlo's age was reportedly in the late twenties, rather than thirties, as documented in unrelated newspaper stories. Given the wide variety in reported spellings, perhaps a better match could be found?

Edited by Michael Ferner, 29 June 2013 - 20:24.

#2944 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 20:17

Checking the other Cross Bay fatalities on MM, I find that two are missing, and another one also incorrectly listed as a Midget death, and with the wrong date at that: Walter Francis died early morning of June 13, but the accident happened a few hours earlier on the evening of June 12. Like John Wusching, he was a member of the GSRA, but both accidents apparently happened during ARA sanctioned races - it is sometimes a bit difficult to follow the intricate politics of the track management, and the clubs themselves! Neither driver had much of a career, it seems, both racing mainly at Woodbridge in New Jersey, with Francis at least once finishing in a top 5 position. According to the local press, Francis died on his first appearance at Cross Bay, and Wusching on his second. Wusching's car was, believe it or not, called the "Mickey Mouse Special", a black #20, while Francis drove a "Bayway Aro-Hed" (perhaps "Arrowhead"?) - both regular Big Cars, although I know nothing else about them. Francis was said to have owned a wrecking yard on Staten Island, in the same town in which his father, Walter Francis senior, also owned another wrecking yard!

Missing are Bob Smith and a spectator death, but since MM insísts on publishing names of deceased spectators, I will leave the latter at that. Robert "Bob" Smith was a Long Island driver, from Lynbrook or Hewlett, who like Don Carlo raced regularly at Cross Bay since 1934, placing in heats many times but rarely a winner. His best main event result appears to have been 5th, in the summer of 1935. He also made at least one trip to Lebanon in Pennsylvania, home track of the Central Pennsy Racing Association, whose regulars made many (successful) visits to Cross Bay over the years, and Smith repaid the favours with a heat win there. Apparently, he was quite seriously injured in a fiery accident at Cross Bay in the summer of 1936 (although reports called the victim "Ben Smith"), but did return the following year to qualify for the consy on August 18, crashing fatally on the opening lap. He ran a #30 "H & S Special" in 1934, but I have no info on his later rides.

Edited by Michael Ferner, 29 June 2013 - 20:38.

#2945 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,756 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:19

Italian sportscar driver Andrea Mamé sustained fatal injuries in the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo race at Paul Ricard this morning. He was 41 years old.

#2946 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:00

Additions and corrections re: Don Carlo and Bob Smith. Carlo was said to have come from Germany "eight years ago", and his funeral was being paid for by the racing community as "all his relatives are in Germany"! His age at time of death was given as 26 repeatedly, and the car he was driving was not the Honner Special, but the Galeno/McDowell #7. Initial rumours that it had been the same car in which Buddy Olmstead had been killed in 1933 were "emphatically" denied by owner Joe Galeno, possibly Galeano, from Long Island (Olmstead had been killed in Joe de Antoni's JTD Special #8, which ran as #7 at Cross Bay in 1934). It was said to have been "only the third (fatality) in the four-year history of the track", after "Johnny Wrisching of Clifton, N. J." and "James L. 'Bob' Smith, 24, of Hewlett". The same article mentioned the fiery accident of "Ben Smith of Dobbs Ferry". Btw, in a somewhat ironic twist, both Smith and Carlo were ARA members who were apparently killed in GSRA Events, while GSRA members Wusching and Francis died in ARA events!

Edited by Michael Ferner, 01 July 2013 - 11:10.

#2947 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,304 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:19

It was said to have been "only the third (fatality) in the four-year history of the track", after "Johnny Wrisching of Clifton, N. J." and "James L. 'Bob' Smith, 24, of Hewlett".

"Only". Tempora mutantur...

#2948 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 18:34

Italian sportscar driver Andrea Mamé sustained fatal injuries in the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo race at Paul Ricard this morning. He was 41 years old.

An absolute horror smash by all accounts, five cars involved on the opening lap, Mame was turned around and repeatedly impacted before hitting the barriers at high speed, suffering instant fatal injuries. He was co-driving in the race with Mirko Zanardini. Vaclav Petch, Tomas Kral and Dario Cerati have been discharged from hospital but Andrea Solimè kept in with compound chest fractures.

Although the subsequent Blancpain Endurance Series race went ahead, two Blancpain racing Lamborghinis, the car of Marc A. Hayek & Peter Kox and of Albert von Thurn und Taxis, Stefan Rosina & Jos Menten were withdrawn and the second Super Trofeo support race was cancelled.

Sources:
http://www.blancpain...torsports-group
Italian news report - please note it does have a distant image of the destroyed cars but nothing graphic:
http://www.omnicorse...ferita-a-tolone

#2949 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 22:20

"Only". Tempora mutantur...

That's why I included the quote...

#2950 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,240 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:15

Marion Weekly Sentinel, 6th July 1922, pg 1

Vinton, IA, 4th July 1922: Emmet Schrader lost control and went through the fence, throwing up heavy planks of wood which hit Mrs John Rickett and rendered her unconscious.

Atlantic News Telegraph, 5th July 1922, pg 8

"Cedar Rapids, July 5th: Mrs Jack Richard of this city died at Vinton today of injuries received yesterday while she was watching the automobile and motor cycle races in that city. She was leaning against the race track fence when a Nash special driven by Emmett Schrader, Newhall, IA, swerved and crashed thru the fence, running over her."

So, the spectator did die, but confusion over her name and exact circumstances.

Mystery solved.
According to newspaper article published the following day (The Cedar Rapids Republican And Times, Thursday, 06 July 1922, page 8, article "Mrs. John Rickard Not Fatally Hurt") she eventually recovered.
By the way, more confusion about her surname, that is reported to be Mrs. John Rickard.