Speed's ultimate price: the toll...

• Please log in to reply
2999 replies to this topic

#2951 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 14:43

Mystery solved.
According to newspaper article published the following day (The Cedar Rapids Republican And Times, Thursday, 06 July 1922, page 8, article "Mrs. John Rickard Not Fatally Hurt") she eventually recovered.
By the way, more confusion about her surname, that is reported to be Mrs. John Rickard.

On the 28th August Mrs Bess Richard was well enough to file a $10,000 injury suit in the Linn county district court against the Cedar Rapids Motoring Association, the Benton County Agricultural Society, Emmett Schrader, Gus Schrader Jr and the Cedar Valley Nash Company for personal injury damages. She alleged that Schrader was intoxicated at the time he entered the race and that the other defendants knew his condition . Source: Sioux City Journal, 29th August 1922, pg 4

Advertisement

#2952 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,152 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:07

Addendum to the John Wusching entry at Motorsport Memorial, which includes the mystifying sentence about him crashing "during what was then called a time trial - understood, in current parlor, to be a qualifying session for a race" - a time trial is just that, a time trial! There are no qualifying sessions in oval track racing, and have never been, just individual trials.

#2953 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,091 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 18:51

Addendum to the John Wusching entry at Motorsport Memorial, which includes the mystifying sentence about him crashing "during what was then called a time trial - understood, in current parlor, to be a qualifying session for a race" - a time trial is just that, a time trial! There are no qualifying sessions in oval track racing, and have never been, just individual trials.

Michael, that's what you get when entries are written by folks utterly unfamiliar with U.S. oval racing (which also applies to the other entries you've mentioned). That clearly must have been an early entry. You ought to get in contact with the boss at MM, who posted here as Muzza.

#2954 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,152 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 15:37

That's why I'm posting these things here - I almost habitually look MM entries up when I come upon fatalities in research, they (MM) are usually good on identifying people, i.e. birth dates and/or spelling of names etc. I don't agree with some of their policies, but hey, it's their website, and their responsibility to keep the facts correct and up to date. I'm just lending a helping hand, take it or leave it. :)

#2955 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,237 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:40

That's why I'm posting these things here - I almost habitually look MM entries up when I come upon fatalities in research, they (MM) are usually good on identifying people, i.e. birth dates and/or spelling of names etc. I don't agree with some of their policies, but hey, it's their website, and their responsibility to keep the facts correct and up to date. I'm just lending a helping hand, take it or leave it. :)

Your help is greatly appreciated by the M-M staff, Michael.
Keep on posting your findings/corrections/updates here, within a few days/weeks they would process the messages, or send an e-mail to research@motorsportmemorial.org

#2956 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:24

An accident during practice for the Southern 100 on the Billown circuit has claimed the life of David Jukes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rsport/23238819

#2957 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,875 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 22:35

Your help is greatly appreciated by the M-M staff, Michael.
Keep on posting your findings/corrections/updates here, within a few days/weeks they would process the messages, or send an e-mail to research@motorsportmemorial.org

Sometimes I wonder, Nanni ... post 2929 re Milton Zappia ^^ Two months on, still not corrected on M-M :well:

#2958 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 22:53

After a relatively safe TT Fortnight, Yoshi Matsushita apart, the Southern 100 meeting at Billown has claimed two more riders today.

RIP Paul Thomas and Mark Madsen-Mygdal. Mark's father Dave had just retired from racing after taking part in his 100th TT race a few weeks ago.

http://www.realroadr...o...?f=3&t=4819

http://www.realroadr...o...?f=3&t=4818

#2959 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:33

There was a fatal crash in the International Rally of Queensland today...

The navigator in what appeared on the TV picture of the crash to be a Subaru WRX died at the scene. The driver was helicoptered to hospital in Brisbane with serious injuries once released from the wreck. The crash occurred in the Imbil State Forest west of Mapleton and Nambour on the Sunshine Coast, the car was said to have rolled several times and seemed from pictures to have finished up jammed between trees.

No names have yet been released.

Edited by Ray Bell, 14 July 2013 - 12:38.

Advertisement

#2960 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 23:05

RIP Bruce Moulds who has died following an accident at Walderstown during the 125cc race today.

http://www.thescore....992923-Jul2013/

#2961 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:50

Would this count?

April 21, 2013, Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, Valley Center, California. Chelsea Vu, 21, passenger in her boyfriend's car, died after the car left the track during a "track day" session and struck a concrete barrier at a flagman's station. The driver was seriously injured, but survived.

Some more information in numerous automotive forum threads; this one has photos of the car and the accident victims before the incident.

They were using the track in a counter-clockwise direction; I did a track day there, clockwise. The accident occurred at the top of a hill like that in this image, with their car going out of control after the crest that can be seen behind my white Mustang. This image is of Turn 9; the incident was in Turn 11, going the opposite way.

Posted Image

Track diagram shows and 18-foot elevation difference between Turns 12 and 11:

Posted Image

Edited by Frank S, 15 July 2013 - 04:57.

#2962 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:56

Originally posted by myself
There was a fatal crash in the International Rally of Queensland today.....

.....No names have yet been released.

He was 40-year-old James McIntosh of Middle Park, a western suburb of Brisbane. The driver was Grant Brecknell, 45, from Bunya (a semi-rural suburb north west of Brisbane).

The car is said to have crashed on a fast section of the rally section and slid down a steep embankment among the trees, the driver's condition is listed as serious.

#2963 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,875 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 18:46

Motorcycle racer Bill Warner - dubbed fastest man on two wheels - killed attempting to reach 300mph speed record over just a mile

#2964 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,237 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 13:33

Like Ray Bell, I have known quite a few peoplewho have died in racing. But as most of my racing was on bikes and sidecars.

I've had a couple of close calls myself, especially on my Sidecar. There, but for the Grace of God go I...

The people that I have met or known since I started racing in 1984 who have been killed are:

Bikes:
Clinton Farr - 600 Supersport,
Liam Magee - Superbike,
Kirk McKarthy - Superbike,
Marcus Payton - 250GP, (dirt bike accident),and
Rusty White - Sidecar Passanger.

Cars:

Stuart McColl - Formula Vees and Production cars.

Until reading this post, I never thought to add them up. It's kind of sobering, isn't it. Thank God my list is much shorter than his.

No wonder my wife nagged me to stop bike racing. Car racing is indeed safer than bike racing, but it still does not stop my wife from trying to stop me from going back into that as well.

Safety in racing is improving all of the time, but I do not think that the risk of death will will ever be eradicated.

It has always been one of the inherent risks of racing, and you acept the chance that you may be injured or killed every time you pull of your helmet.

You may not, (or choose not), to think about it, but I supose the risk is ever present. I suppose that is why they print the warnings on the tickets.

Actually Rusty White was sidecar passenger Russell White, who died at Oran Park on 18 August 2001
http://www.motorspor...hp?db=ms&n=5618

#2965 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 14:51

German sidecar racer Sandor Pohl was killed this weekend in an accident at the sixth round of the Sidecar World Championship in Assen, Netherlands. He was thrown out of the sidecar of rider Stefan Kiser, and hit by another bike coming from behind. He could not be revived. The race was not restarted. Other events at the Gamma Racing Days at the circuit of Assen went ahead, but without the usual festivities.

#2966 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,152 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 17:03

Sprint Car legend Kramer Williamson died following a crash at Lincoln Speedway on Saturday!

In his forty-plus years of racing Sprints, he competed successfully with USAC and the WoO, and was a multiple URC Champion, and I believe also the driver with most URC main event wins all time. He won numerous track championships in the "hot bed" of Sprint Car racing, Pennsylvania, including Williams Grove Speedway twice, and also the "overall" Pennsylvania Championship.

In his first year with USAC back in 1973, he finished second to the great Jan Opperman at the famous Ted Horn/Bill Schindler Memorial Race at Williams Grove, then opened the 1974 season with an IMCA win at the Florida State Fairgrounds over Opperman. He was a regular at Eastern WoO races throughout the eighties, and won two WoO main events during the early years of that club's history: at Williams Grove (the big National Open) in 1978, and Selinsgrove two years later; he was also 2nd to Steve Kinser at Lernerville in 1979. In 1980, he finished second to Sheldon Kinser in the USAC Dirt Champ Car event at Williams Grove, and followed that up with third and fourth place finishes in the renamed Silver Crown series over the following years, the latter at the prestigious Hoosier 100 in 1983.

Farewell, Pink Panther! :cry:

Edited by Michael Ferner, 05 August 2013 - 17:05.

#2967 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:06

Posted Image
Matthew Polanski on a Yamaha 600 by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

Club bike racer Matthew Polanski died a day after a crash at Knockhill on August 4th, competing in the Knockhill Motor Sports Club event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-fife-23604733

#2968 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:00

German rally co-driver Ina Schaarschmidt (29) died in an accident yesterday (10 August 2013) whilst navigating Janina Depping at the Wartburg-Rallye in Thüringen. (Source)

#2969 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 17:19

Unfortunately today (14 August 2013) Janina Depping (34) also died.

So sad.

#2970 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,152 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 17:34

Missing from MM is Robert "Bob" Wantz, crewman (mechanic) for 1970 Hagerstown Raceway track champion Irvin King, who died May 24 in 1971 from injuries sustained the previous evening when Kenny Weld's steering gear broke during the first lap of the regular weekly "Super Sprint" car race at Hagerstown Raceway. Weld's car went out of control and hit Wantz and one of his fellow crewmen before it burst into flames. The driver escaped injury, but both mechanics were seriously injured, and Wantz was pronounced dead the next morning. The press agencies reported that the accident took place during the postponed main event from May 9; that, however, is not true - Weld finished that race in third place.

#2971 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 20:13

From The Guardian from Prince Edward Island, Canada:

With less than two laps to go, a night of racing turned into tragedy as New Brunswick stock car driver Robert Michael Stevens, 30, died following a crash at Oyster Bed Speedway.

The Atlantic racing community is in mourning after Stevens, a resident of Riverview, N.B., was pronounced dead upon arriving at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in nearby Charlottetown after Saturday night’s wreck.

RCMP, firefighters and paramedics responded to the collision, which occurred during the 98th lap of the 100-lap finale. The races were part of a sanctioned event in the Maritime Pro Stock Tour.

RCMP said they received the call at 11:23 p.m.

During Saturday’s finale, a caution flag was waved with a lap and a half to go.

With two laps left following the restart, drivers took to the first set of corners and went through the backstretch.

Jeremy MacDonald, of Oyster Bed Speedway, said a few drivers in the middle of the pack got tangled up in a wreck on the third turn.

“Unfortunately Mike... he was trying to avoid the wreck,” said MacDonald.

Stevens tried to turn his #4 car up and to the outside.

However, the vehicle went up the wall and onto its side before flipping onto its roof.

“It wasn’t really a hard impact,” said MacDonald.

Stevens had also been responding over radio and a red flag was waved for drivers to stop as officials began to get to the scene. Stevens was uninjured and responding when emergency crews first arrived to his side.

The announcer also told the crowd Stevens was alright and responding.

That’s when things deteriorated.

RCMP Sgt. Leanne Butler said while Stevens wasn’t injured in the actual crash, sometime after flipping over he had released the safety harness while upside down.

“His airway closed off,” said Butler, adding that the RCMP investigation into the collision has ended. “This one was clearly an accident. All safety measures were followed at the raceway.”

MacDonald said it is unclear why Stevens would have released the harness.

He said one of the few exceptions where a driver would try to exit the vehicle on their own would be in the case of a fire.

Why Stevens did, MacDonald and the racetrack’s owners aren’t sure.

“We can’t really say why. We don’t know,” said MacDonald.

MacDonald said the speedway was sending its sympathies and prayers to Steven’s family as well as the pro stock community at large.

“He had a very big heart, he was very well liked and always had a smile,” said MacDonald. “It (the racing community) is one big family.”

MacDonald said several other factors may have also played a part, including the position of the car and the fact that several other cars had to be cleared away for emergency workers to get Stevens out.

One thing that’s certain is the ache within the racing community following Stevens’ death.

Following the collision, concern began to circulate on Facebook and social media of whether Stevens was safe.

Those messages turned to condolences, as individuals found out the tragic result.

“In any sport, going for a win means you’re willing to go longer, work harder and give more than anyone else. Mike Stevens gave everything last night in a sport he obviously loved,” wrote one individual on the Oyster Bed Speedway Facebook page.

“Keep your heads up because he’s racing in heaven now,” wrote another.

Following the death, Maritime Pro Stock removed everything from its website except for a picture of Stevens’ car and a statement.

“Stevens is a multi-time race winner with three trips to victory lane in the past three seasons, along with 23 top 10s over his eight years on the PST (pro stock tour) circuit,” read part of the statement. “He was 30 years old and is survived by his wife Sharon and two small children.”

Riverside International Speedway in Antigonish, N.S. and Petty International Raceway, in River Glade, N.B., also expressed condolences following the crash.

#2972 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 20:53

http://jalopnik.com/...germ-1193329879

The Rallye Deutschland organizer has released the following statement:

It is with great sadness that the organiser can confirm an accident took place this afternoon at the Arena Panzerplatte involving a historic car participating in a non-competitive demonstration programme.

The car, driven by a Dutch pairing, left the route near the Gina crest. The emergency services were on the scene immediately to assist but despite their best efforts the injuries sustained by both the driver and passenger proved fatal. No one else was involved in the incident.

Everyone associated with the event extends their deepest sympathies and condolences to the families, friends and individuals who are being touched by today's terrible tragedy.

The second passage of Arena Panzerplatte has been cancelled and the competition cars have been re-routed back to the Service Park in Trier.

The rally will continue on Sunday according to its itinerary.

#2973 Macca

Macca

• 3,313 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 16:07

It was only in reading the latest copy of 'Motor Sport' that I learned of the death of Karl-Heinz Kalbfell in a classic motorcycle race at Brands Hatch. He was formerly head of BMW motorsport and had played a large part in recent motor-racing history, and his name was well-known to Goodwood Festival and Revival spectators as a rider of classic bikes.

More details here:  http://skiddmark.com...t-brands-hatch/

RIP....

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 02 September 2013 - 16:12.

#2974 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 14:53

One spectator was killed and 3 were seriously injured when a driver lost control of his car during the Amsterdam Short Rally on the 1st of September in the Western Harbor area of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Elly Lust, the spokeswoman of the Amsterdam police is calling for witnesses to bring in video and photographic evidence. As far as can be determined the driver of the car lost control of the vehicle in a u-corner. Police are looking into the state of the vehicle, and are trying to determine if the spectators were in safe zones at the time of the accident.

A 41-year old woman died, and an 11-year old boy is still in critical condition.

#2975 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:05

From Autosport, 3rd October 2013, pg 84

Steve Jewell was killed on the 29th September 2013 after a qualifying accident at Snetterton. He was driving a Bugatti T35B in the pre-1941 racing car event. Jewell collided with Mac Hulbert's ERA R4D, and then went left into the barriers. Jewell, 63, was thrown out, and his still fastened crash helmet came off. He passed away shortly after arriving at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

#2976 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 689 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 14:27

French sculpteur CLAUDE PANTZER (30 years old) lost his life during the 1962 Mont Dore Hillclimb. Driving a Lotus Mk 18 FJ (racenr. 114he hit a rock near and crashed during practice for the event held on August 12th.

#2977 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 19:27

Some more info here:

http://pilotos-muert...zer Claude.html

#2978 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 624 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 17:46

Maria de Villota appears to have died as a result of her testing crash injuries.

I know that this is more Racing Comments, but the MDV thread was getting distasteful and argumentative in there.

#2979 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:04

An as yet unnamed rider was killed 7th October 2013 at Oulton Park during a motorbike track day in a multi-bike collision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-24426442

Advertisement

#2980 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 15:18

One spectator was killed and 3 were seriously injured when a driver lost control of his car during the Amsterdam Short Rally on the 1st of September in the Western Harbor area of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Elly Lust, the spokeswoman of the Amsterdam police is calling for witnesses to bring in video and photographic evidence. As far as can be determined the driver of the car lost control of the vehicle in a u-corner. Police are looking into the state of the vehicle, and are trying to determine if the spectators were in safe zones at the time of the accident.

A 41-year old woman died, and an 11-year old boy is still in critical condition.

The boy later died in hospital.

And today, during the TBR-rally in Roeselare, Belgium, part of the VAS championship, a driver died when his car left the road and hit a tree. The co-driver was brought to hospital. The car was competing in a historic championship; no further information available, as this is a developing story.

Yesterday 4 people were seriously injured in Besselare, near Roeselare, when a rally team preparing for today's race hit another car on a crossing, and both cars hit a roadside chapel. The chapel was completely destroyed. More information here. All 4 are now reported out of mortal danger.

#2981 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 15:29

The driver who was killed in the TBR  rally in Roeselare was named as Carl Lagae. His co-pilot and lifemate Bianca Boddaert was seriously injured. The accident occurred in poor weather conditions; heavy rain and strong winds. The race was cancelled after the crash.

:(

Edited by Elwing, 13 October 2013 - 15:38.

#2982 The Chasm

The Chasm

• 115 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:16

A 26 year old British professional driver (resident in Monaco) was killed today at Queensland Raceway while instructing another driver in a Porsche 996 GT3 Cup Car.

The 20 year old local driver has suffered serious burns and was airlifted to hospital.

No names as yet.

RIP

#2983 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,149 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:42

Sean Edwards RIP.

#2984 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,672 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:56

Nine spectators were killed earlier in the month when a monster truck went in to a crowd.
http://articles.wash...l-truck-monster

#2985 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 17:32

A 26 year old British professional driver (resident in Monaco) was killed today at Queensland Raceway while instructing another driver in a Porsche 996 GT3 Cup Car.

The 20 year old local driver has suffered serious burns and was airlifted to hospital.

No names as yet.

RIP

Sean Edwards RIP.

There's a report here

#2986 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,237 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:16

According to newspaper The Des Moines Register, issue of Monday, 20 August 1969, an unknown spectator was killed in a preliminary race to the 1969 Gran Prix of Mexico at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez in Mexico City.

I've never heard before. Any information?

#2987 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 15:46

Autosport, 16th January 2014, pg 62 - reports that 51 year old Belgian motorcycle rider Eirc Palante died on the Chilecito-Tucuman stage on the Dakar Rally.

#2988 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,237 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 17:58

Muskogee Times Democrat, 5th July 1922, pg 2

"Cushing, OK, July 5th - 5000 persons yesterday afternoon saw Dale Spears, 24, bank cashier of this city, crushed to death beneath his automobile as it turned over twice during a race here yesterday afternoon. Earlier in the afternoon he ran into a motorcycle and sustained bruises."

The victim's surname was Sears. The first newspaper articles erroneously reported his name to be Dale Spears instead of Dale Sears. He drove a Dodge.

#2989 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,091 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 19:21

The victim's surname was Sears. The first newspaper articles erroneously reported his name to be Dale Spears instead of Dale Sears. He drove a Dodge.

Yes, thanks to Steve Estes for turning up this information :up:  He found an account in the Cushing Weekly Citizen, 6th July 1922.

#2990 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,237 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 18:22

Laurent Lesourd was a prominent Formula France driver in France in the 1990. He and his two brothers were promising karting drivers in the mid-1980s. From the start their careers followed parallel paths, but Laurent soon proved to be the fastest of the three Lesourds.

In 1985 (or 1986) one of his brothers, Pierre Lesourd lost his life while practicing at the Angerville kart track, in a 100cc two stroke kart. He arrived at a hairpin failed to brake, his kart went up a short grass bank and up a fence which was right atop it but it catapulted him in the air, the kart fell back on his chest, crushing it. Since it was a test day on this track in farmland 100kms south west of Paris with only small villages nearby by the time an ambulance arrived it was too late.

Any other information?

#2991 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,595 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 15:24

Laurent Lesourd was a prominent Formula France driver in France in the 1990. He and his two brothers were promising karting drivers in the mid-1980s. From the start their careers followed parallel paths, but Laurent soon proved to be the fastest of the three Lesourds.

In 1985 (or 1986) one of his brothers, Pierre Lesourd lost his life while practicing at the Angerville kart track, in a 100cc two stroke kart. He arrived at a hairpin failed to brake, his kart went up a short grass bank and up a fence which was right atop it but it catapulted him in the air, the kart fell back on his chest, crushing it. Since it was a test day on this track in farmland 100kms south west of Paris with only small villages nearby by the time an ambulance arrived it was too late.

Any other information?

I have no information but this info scared me. I had an accident in a kart that was very, very similar. I ended up in the kart omn the banking, with my feet in the air... and hung upside down. Everybody, included me, laughed their heads off... but if you read this.... yikes.

#2992 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 19:27

Autosport, 17th April 2014, pg 71

Al Fleming, 69, died on Friday (11th) April during qualifying for the Jim Clark Revival meeting Triumph Competition & British GT event at Hockenheim. His Lotus Elan slid under braking and rolled on correction.

Edited by Darren Galpin, 20 April 2014 - 19:27.

#2993 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:11

Autosport, 24th April 2014, pg 77

Garry White, 26, died on the 18th April 2014 from injuries sustained six days earlier when he rolled his 1921 GN Gnome at a VSCC meeting at Silverstone.

#2994 LittleBertha

LittleBertha

• 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 17:54

^^ Garry Whyte ^^ 

#2995 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 21:46

Noel Murphy at Tandragee yesterday :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland-27268737

#2996 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:43

Gallup Independent, 5th September 1924, pg 1

Gallup, NM

1st September 1924

R 13 Young Kelly                                                Ford Special                          3 laps/lost tyre/overturned

R Dewey Oliver/Johnny Biava                         Hudson                                  3 laps/fatal accident

R  8 Andy Casna/Smyers                                  Cadillac                                 3 laps/accident

Kelly lost a tyre and overturned. Casna hit the Ford, but stayed upright. Casna and Smyers got out to crank their car up again when it was hit by Oliver, the Hudson rolling three times. Biava was thrown clear, but Oliver was caught in it and was crushed. Oliver died two days later in hospital.

Held under the auspices of the Gallup Elks.

#2997 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,159 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 20:17

RIP Simon Andrews who has succumbed to the injuries he received during Saturday's NW200 Superstock race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland/27478727

#2998 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:30

http://www.bbc.com/n...otland-27654843

Two people killed on the Jim Clark Rally this weekend.

#2999 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,136 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:33

Two further fatalities in California:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...track-1.2684346

One at Cornwall Speedway on the 22nd June (Danny Lefebvre), the other at Capital City Speedway on the 21st May (Wesley Wallin).

Advertisement

#3000 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 796 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:12

I caught wind of the one fatality on CBC television news yesterday morning but a check of their website(my home page)netted zero at the time.  Thanks for the link then, Darren.  A correction to your post above, though...

The two incidents are at circuits in Ontario, Canada.  Not California, USA.