Speed's ultimate price: the toll...

• Please log in to reply
3023 replies to this topic

#3001 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:18

Autosport, 31st July 2014, pg 75

Denis Welch was killed during the Pre-1966GP race at the Silverstone Classic meeting on the 27th July 2014. His Lotus 18 hit another car, rolled, and the roll-hoop folded.

Advertisement

#3002 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,185 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 23:04

Awful weekend at Chimay bike meeting recently.  RIP Julien Paquet, Vick De Cooremeter & Thilo Häfele.

http://www.realroadr....php?f=3&t=5872

http://www.lanouvell...d-un-spectateur

http://www.lanouvell...ede-a-l-aube-de

#3003 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,183 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 14:21

Autosport, 31st July 2014, pg 75

Denis Welch was killed during the Pre-1966GP race at the Silverstone Classic meeting on the 27th July 2014. His Lotus 18 hit another car, rolled, and the roll-hoop folded.

Ehrmmm... I have a question. Everytime I read about a death in a meeting with classic cars, I think: 'Strange, I can't remember this being mentioned in the main coverage.'

I understand the happening in Silverstone was a great success. Autosport had a cover on it. The death of Denis Welch was not mentioned in the article, I believe. Isn't that a bit... well...

#3004 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,097 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 16:37

This meeting was on a Saturday...

When did the report of Welch's death emanate from Silverstone? I think the report quoted on the thread about his death mentions that he died some time after the accident... perhaps too late for the report?

#3005 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,543 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 16:53

Welch's accident happened on the Sunday, and the announcement of his death was made by Silverstone later that same day.

#3006 james

james

• 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 21:50

Denis Welch was mentioned in the first and the second to last paragraph of Autosports main coverage.

#3007 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,183 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:19

Denis Welch was mentioned in the first and the second to last paragraph of Autosports main coverage.

Ok! :up: I had not seen it, I was just wondering about it. Racing classic GP cars seems very dangerous to me...

#3008 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,097 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:10

I think you'd have to say it always was...

Who, after all, wouldn't expect the Lotus 18 'rollover bar' to go folding over?

Edited by Ray Bell, 10 August 2014 - 22:36.

#3009 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,183 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 18:48

I think you'd have to say it always was...

Who, after all, wouldn't expect the Lotus 18 'rollover bar' from folding over?

Yeah, but Ray, back in the days the cars were driven by elite drivers... and even those elite drivers would have gone to a rather steep 'Darwin selection' before they could get their hands on a F1 car. On top of that, it my estimation that if I watch historic races with old F1 cars and I see 'harmless' spins, the driver always seem to be totally befuddled what the hell just happened... The cars seem to 'bite' totally different than of more modern race-cars...

#3010 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,097 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 22:52

Kevin Ward Jr, 20, died after a crash at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in upstate New York on Saturday...

He had been involved in a Sprint Car crash with Tony Stewart which put his car into the fence and spun it around, from the video uploaded by CNN it appears he climbed from the car and was waving his finger at Stewart coming around on the following lap and somehow Stewart hit him.

He died on the way to hospital.

http://edition.cnn.c...iver/index.html

#3011 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,271 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:49

Oh my, this is terrible! Of all people, Tony Stewart is involved in this tragedy, a man who has done so much for racing over the last twenty years. The fact alone that he raced in the local and fairly minor ESS event on the eve of a NASCAR date in the vicinity speaks volumes...

#3012 chunder27

chunder27

• 989 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:02

After having worked in the media

Any deaths are dealt with in very odd ways.

The people runing the Classic will ahve a PR arm, they could well have got involved here?

THe Tony Stewart thing looks plain awful, quite how you deal with that from a media perspective anyone knows!  The guy was clearly distraught at being taken out and was perhaps out of line by going on track which caused the problem really. But a total nightmare for all concerned as he was such a young lad. And of course Stewart is not going to do anything like this.

#3013 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,364 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:16

The Ward/Stewart incident is all over the media at present, with an awful lot of speculation and possible misinformation surrounding it. However, I would respectfully ask that it should not be discussed in this thread since it is by way of being a memorial. By all means contribute to the thread in RC - if you so wish - but be warned that it is the thread currently taking up most moderator time. The two comment posts so far will remain, but I reserve the right to remove or edit them should they attract anything more unsavoury.

#3014 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,175 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 18:54

The Ward/Stewart incident is all over the media at present, with an awful lot of speculation and possible misinformation surrounding it. However, I would respectfully ask that it should not be discussed in this thread since it is by way of being a memorial. By all means contribute to the thread in RC - if you so wish - but be warned that it is the thread currently taking up most moderator time. The two comment posts so far will remain, but I reserve the right to remove or edit them should they attract anything more unsavoury.

So, glowing, positive things about Stewart are ok, but nothing on his history of violent outbursts, sometimes behind the wheel during races?

That seems rather one-sided.

#3015 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,364 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 19:15

Jim: I of course respect and bow to both your and Michael's knowledge and am certainly aware that there are differing opinions about Stewart - which has been more than demonstrated in RC. However, I took Michael's post to be pretty much factual - as indeed is yours, putting the opposite point of view. What I was seeking to avoid was a discussion of those two opinions: so far more than thirty posts have had to be pulled from RC, mostly due to potential libel. And ultimately, in the context of the purpose of this thread, Stewart - while involved - is not directly relevant: he's still alive.

#3016 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,175 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 19:23

Vitesse, understood and it's an unenviable task.  My major concern, which there are other threads for, is the U.S. racing media whitewashing of Tony Stewart without even a cursory examination.  This concern does not mean I believe he is guilty, nor innocent.  I truly don't know.  Tony Stewart is the only person that knows what he saw or didn't see and what he did or didn't do.  At times, I've wondered if even he truly knows.

#3017 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 20:46

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/115389

Timothy Cathcart was killed on the Ulster Rally on the 15th August 2014.

#3018 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:58

http://www.courant.c...0,3026941.story

Lee Duran was killed driving a 1934 MG PA Special at the Lime Rock vintage meet on 30th August 2014.

#3019 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,242 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 15:05

Another obscure case from the past.

In his famous book "Albo della Gloria: Al Piloti Caduti in Tutto il Mondo al Loro Posto di Combattimento", published in 1972 in Italy, the author Emanuele Carli listed the name of French driver Paul Mélot

As he wrote "he was killed in an unspecified circuit in France, in 1966".

The Motorsport Memorial staff is unable to find any information about this case, nothing is available by the web.

Possibly a Frenchman could try to find more detail by local sources, magazines, newspapers, etc.

Thank you.

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 19 September 2014 - 15:05.

Advertisement

#3020 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:02

On the page for Kenneth Burke (http://motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=2807 ), it says the following:-

The fatal race included six other drivers: Deacon Litz, of DuBois; B. A. Wall, of Pittsburgh; Yokum (or George) Fye, ? Rupert and Red Linkfelter, all of Altoona.

That's actually only five drivers. Checking the Clearfield Progress, 20th October 1924, pg 11, I think that Yocum (as spelt in the newspaper) and Fye were two different drivers, hence it could well be George Fye.

#3021 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,364 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 13:04

Ancestry has a lot of people listed with the surname Yocum in Pennsylvania. There's also a George Jay Fye: the 1920 census shows him as living in Winslow, about 60 miles from Altoona - but his wife had been born there.

Linkfelter appears to be a typo for Lingfelter. No obvious Rupert, although there is a Chester R Lingfelter listed in Altoona. And also a Harry V Lingfelter, so maybe he's Red? The rest of the Lingfelter clan - of whom there are a lot - seem to have lived in the town of Freedom, about 120 miles away.

#3022 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,271 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 15:01

The Motorsport Memorial page also says that Kenny Quinn was "one of four entries in the fifty mile race" (my emphasis). I don't recall my sources, but I have also only four starters: C. A. "Charly" Wall from Clairton (later Washington) in Western PA, and three men from Du Bois: Deacon Litz, Bill Yocum and Kenny Quinn. I have no knowledge at all about racing drivers named Fye, Linkfelter or Lingfelter; they may have been locals engaged in preliminary events, or maybe they were riding mechanics? Anyway, Clearfield Driving Park was used again as an automobile racing track, I have two AAA dates listed there in the thirties, drivers including one Tommy Hinnershitz.

Edited by Michael Ferner, 24 September 2014 - 15:04.

#3023 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,185 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 19:14

Ryan Bradley has died following an accident in the Down Rally

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland-29674664

#3024 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,097 posts

Posted Today, 13:43

I have no idea if these have previously been recorded, the search facility is worthless these days...

23 year-old Barry Robinson died at Sydney Showground Speedway when the pitman arm snapped on his lightweight speedcar. The crash occurred on lap 6 of the Feature event, he had already finished second in the Junior Feature on the same night.

I'm afraid I failed to note the date, but it all happened in 1964, Robinson was a signwriter and was in his third year of racing.

On May 13 1962 Kevin Jefferson died at the Brisbane Exhibition Speedway when he crashed his speedcar. He was 26.

Sources: Australian Motor Sports magazines.