Photo

'Autosport' magazine

• Please log in to reply
547 replies to this topic

#501 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 16:57

I wasn't referring to your comment Sterling, I find all your posts interesting and well informed on all topics. Apologies for any mis-understanding.

I was referring to the behaviour on forums where from time to time there is a wave of criticism that seems to build and build with people appearing to jump on the bandwagon. It has happened on the Motor Sport and Autosport threads in the past and happens on other subjects where it is apparent from their comments that some posters have no first hand experience about the subject to make a factual comment but are either following the crowd or voicing a subjective opinion.

David

Understood David, thank you.

Advertisement

#502 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:35

I wasn't referring to your comment Sterling, I find all your posts interesting and well informed on all topics. Apologies for any mis-understanding.

I was referring to the behaviour on forums where from time to time there is a wave of criticism that seems to build and build with people appearing to jump on the bandwagon. It has happened on the Motor Sport and Autosport threads in the past and happens on other subjects where it is apparent from their comments that some posters have no first hand experience about the subject to make a factual comment but are either following the crowd or voicing a subjective opinion.

David

I think it's called 'piling on'. In American football it's against the rules and calls for a penalty.

#503 john aston

john aston

• 806 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 19:49

Happy to bash Autosport actually as it has degenerated into a vapid F1 fanzine with almost non existent coverage of national level sport and historics. The only reason they are doing the profile stuff on JYS etc is there are no F1 driver tweets to hold the front page for in the off season... I admire Marcus Pye for battling on but after 40 years I gave it up last year.The standard of writing had also plummeted.And breathe...

#504 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,881 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 21:05

Yet if I pick up an Autosport from 1976 I'll find loads and loads about some Castle Combe lawnmower championship and NASCAR and ChampCar will get a page every 4 months. Tempora mutantur.

#505 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,661 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:26

Yet if I pick up an Autosport from 1976 I'll find loads and loads about some Castle Combe lawnmower championship and NASCAR and ChampCar will get a page every 4 months. Tempora mutantur.

Mind you as the target audience for the magazine was and still is in the UK one can understand why our American cousins events were considered less important to the publishers. Looking back at my old copies of Autosprout I do find a lot of relevant information that is still of use today - one wonders if the same could be said of the current offerings?

:wave:

#506 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,022 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:02

Looking back at my old copies of Autosprout I do find a lot of relevant information that is still of use today - one wonders if the same could be said of the current offerings?

It will be a problem, if it isn't already, for the historian that magazines are no longer magazines of record.
In their heyday The Autocar, The Motor, Motorsport and Autosport were magazines which became an archive of their times, even though they set out to be news magazines and to sell lots of copies. There were detailed and highly technical descriptions of the vehicles and reports (with results) of events of all levels and disciplines.
That was also true of magazines in other countries than Great Britain of course and it probably just as much a thing of the past.
All that information is on the internet, it is said, but (a) try to find a detailed technical description of a road car, let alone a competition car and (b) how long will anything on the net now remain there?

Edited by Allan Lupton, 22 January 2012 - 11:03.

#507 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:15

Got an e mail from Autosport today (my subscription lapsed c2003) trumpeting an all new, all singing, all dancing magazine. Before I bite once again, I would be curious as to what TNFers think about the new format, content, whatever it may be.

http://by153w.bay153...t...e3f1b4&fv=1

I also notice that a special low six issue introductory offer is made. But, and in my book this is a big but, it is tied to a debit card automatic renewal provision, at higher rates of course. I may be an old fogey, but I like to control my own purchases, not have them made automatically by debiting my account.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 07 March 2013 - 22:25.

#508 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,053 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:27

Got an e mail from Autosport today (my subscription lapsed c2003) trumpeting an all new, all singing, all dancing magazine. Before I bite once again, I would be curious as to what TNFers think about the new format, content, whatever it may be.

http://by153w.bay153...t...e3f1b4&fv=1

I also notice that a special low six issue introductory offer is made. But, and in my book this is a big but, it is tied to a debit card automatic renewal provision, at higher rates of course. I may be an old fogey, but I like to control my own purchases, not have them made automatically by debiting my account.

Tom

I have no idea what it will be like, yet I am sure that it will never become the Grand Magazine it was in the 1980ies.

But having popped for the full online version a few months ago.

Go for it.

:cool:

#509 john aston

john aston

• 806 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:40

I bought one , primarily to get familiar with new F1 cars and drivers for the season.Won't bother with many more- same old same old. But even more factoid style reporting and - oh yes - several pages devoted to Sky TV coverage.Tiny amount of National coverage as per usual.

#510 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:08

I received my subscription copy yesterday, the "new look" has a cleaner layout and a larger font which I find much easier to read with my tired old eyes. I am happy with it.

David

#511 Dipster

Dipster

• 202 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:53

I bought one , primarily to get familiar with new F1 cars and drivers for the season.Won't bother with many more- same old same old. But even more factoid style reporting and - oh yes - several pages devoted to Sky TV coverage.Tiny amount of National coverage as per usual.

In my youth (and that is some time ago!) I used to buy Autosport each week.

This was to read up on club racing news, reports and gossip. And the ads, to see who was changing their cars. Other articles were very welcome, but not what got me spend some of my limited resources. When in the UK I sometimes buy a copy, but I am always disappointed.

Is there any magazine published that focuses on grass roots motor sport?

#512 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,881 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:15

Motoring News.

#513 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:57

Received my subscription copy of the new look rag today, a day late - though I think I may have been sent a copy of the Sky Sports F1 house magazine by mistake :rolleyes:

#514 Dipster

Dipster

• 202 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:04

Motoring News.

Thanks. It's still published? I haven't seen one for years. I'll look again. Still a tabloid newspapaer format?

#515 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:49

Thanks. It's still published? I haven't seen one for years. I'll look again. Still a tabloid newspapaer format?

Now called Motorsport News

#516 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,103 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 18:09

Received my subscription copy of the new look rag today, a day late - though I think I may have been sent a copy of the Sky Sports F1 house magazine by mistake :rolleyes:

Yes,I had the same impression :wave: Bought mine at Tescos as usual yesterday but had trouble finding it as they had opened a seperate shelf for Haymarket publications .Motorsport News I get on line nowdays but am having doubts about this too as having trouble reading it.This weeks issue at least has national(& Irish)calendar.

#517 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 20:07

Yes,I had the same impression :wave: Bought mine at Tescos as usual yesterday but had trouble finding it as they had opened a seperate shelf for Haymarket publications .Motorsport News I get on line nowdays but am having doubts about this too as having trouble reading it.This weeks issue at least has national(& Irish)calendar.

Thank you, Rob - the last three words of your post are most helpful. I will be buying my first copy for over twenty years.

#518 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 15:52

Due to a problem with the renewal of my subscription I missed out three copies of AUTOSPORT magazine:
# 2 from 10 January, # 3 from 17 January, and # 4 from 24 January 2013.

The subscription department just told me that these issues are out of stock and they are unaware of any plans to gain any further supplies in the near future.

So if anyone has these three issues and does not intend to keep them I would be glad to give them a new home in Germany. :)

#519 Simon Taylor

Simon Taylor

• 72 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40

Reinhard, send me your address and I think I may be able to find you the three issues of Autosport you require. Since I was five years old I have been an inveterate magazine collector, and I use and refer to my sets of issues constantly. So I know how excruciating it is to miss the odd copy in an otherwise complete run - and my sets of most English, European and American titles go back (to my wife's long-suffering despair) to the late 19th century....

Advertisement

#520 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:01

Many thanks, Simon.
I sent you a PM.

#521 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 13:20

Reinhard, send me your address and I think I may be able to find you the three issues of Autosport you require. Since I was five years old I have been an inveterate magazine collector, and I use and refer to my sets of issues constantly. So I know how excruciating it is to miss the odd copy in an otherwise complete run - and my sets of most English, European and American titles go back (to my wife's long-suffering despair) to the late 19th century....

Blimey Simon, just where do you store them? I had to take 5 car loads to the dump last year and still have a garage full of them ! The recycling assistants pulled quite a few out before they finally went for repulping. I have just retained old Autosports and MotorSports, and of course, my old programmes ( found at last ) going back to the early 60s. The fairer sex just do not understand.

#522 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 19:04

In the current edition of Autosport there is an interesting interview with Kurt Ahrens about his evening spent with Jim Clark the day before the Formula 2 race at Hockenheim on 7th April 1968.

David

#523 retriever

retriever

• 392 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:36

In some areas it seems that the 68 page Le Mans supplement is not included with this week's magazine (June 14th issue). I checked all the outlets in Wellington, Somerset and nowhere could I find a magazine with the supplement. I telephoned the offices of the magazine and they admitted that some areas did not have the supplement. However, without request they said they would post a copy off to me. Good customer service as far as I am concerned.

#524 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:26

I stopped getting Autosport every week some years ago. However, my 83 year old dad still does, as he has since Issue 1. He reads it and passes it on to me on Saturdays.

Anyway... I haven't read this week's issue yet but there is a big feature on the 1973 GP season, one which I am sure will be close to the hearts of any TNFers in their mid-fifties. It looks to me as thought it would be worth a £3.50 punt while it's still on the shelves.

Edited by Cirrus, 10 August 2013 - 12:27.

#525 DN5

DN5

• 276 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 13:02

Yes, it was nice to read. Guest Editor Emerson Fittipaldi.

Geoff

PS It had a nice bonus for me as it enabled me to find a new young american driver to follow in Formula Ford but that is another story.

#526 DN5

DN5

• 276 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 14:54

The magazine continues to confuse me: this week a 3 page article by Chris Parker on the 1974 Race of Champions and a review of successful Martini sponsored cars.

Geoff

#527 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,990 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 15:46

The magazine continues to confuse me: this week 

You are not the only person Autosport confused this week, Geoff......

ccf3.jpg

I could not get anyone to sell me a copy here in the West Midlands as the barcode / pricing was unrecognisable.  I advised Haymarket's Publishing Manager who was blissfully unaware this morning. Was this a nationwide problem?

(I managed to obtain a copy, & now owe Sainsburys C$8.99....) :smoking:  

Edited by Giraffe, 13 March 2014 - 15:48.

#528 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 490 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 16:00

That price is showing Canadian dollars.  Offer them the Sterling equivalent which would be about £4.99!

#529 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,661 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:01

Tesco had a similar problem and the lady at the check-out said she could insert the price through her 'till' and that it would be £8.99 - I declined.

#530 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,990 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:05

Strangely, I have just this minute had an e-mail from Haymarket who do not as yet acknowledge the problem. It may be related to the UK cover price having crept up by 10p this week......

#531 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:29

Strangely, I have just this minute had an e-mail from Haymarket who do not as yet acknowledge the problem. It may be related to the UK cover price having crept up by 10p this week......

Just offer them what it's worth, 10p should just about cover it.

#532 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,212 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:46

Just to confirm that this problem must be fairly widespread, the copies on sale this morning in my local Tesco's north of Bristol were also priced in Canadian dollars.

#533 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 449 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 13:02

I would think Motor Sport Monday could be the death of MN & AS. They really need to go back to doing decent coverage of club motorsport. The WDC & WRC etc we can all see on the box and don't need reports 3 days later when it's old news.

Edited by Derwent Motorsport, 14 March 2014 - 13:03.

#534 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,886 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 15:10

I assumed Motor Sport Monday would be done by the monthly magazine. But it looks like yet another weekly e-magazine. Which seem to come and go constantly.

#535 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 449 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 16:17

Motor Sport Monday has lasted for a year so far and has some good folk writing for it. I reckon AS and MN suffer from having school boys as "editors" and staff that never seem to leave the office and go to events.

#536 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,886 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 16:49

Well Motorsport Monday doesn't seem to list its editorial or publishing staff so I don't know how to compare them to Autosport or Motorsport staff. 

Likewise I couldn't confirm whether they attend events or not. In Autosport's case most of the staff attend events, usually assigned to a particular series. And for events they don't attend, they have correspondents.

#537 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 449 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 18:58

Well the folk that write for MSM seem all well known to me. Martin Holmes does the rallies fo example.

#538 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,615 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 18:59

My subscription copy also has the Canadian price, which I didn't notice until reading this thread!

#539 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 19:18

FFS guys, the barcode with C$8.99 has been on the cover for at least the last six months and if you really want me to look back further I will!!
The £GBP price has always been next to the weekly edition, well it has for the last year or two...
The only defence I will give people is subscription over shelf, and it sounds more like to me there was a problem this week with resellers, because the price increased.
Caveat - I was named after Gregor Grant, but I earn no £s from that and my subscription comes from my step father who can can no longer read properly.

Advertisement

#540 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,212 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:07

I've just checked again in Tesco's and Gregor is quite right - the UK price of £2.99 is there. However, it's nowhere near the barcode with the Canadian $ price which is where most people would expect to find the price, I think. As recent posts in this thread have proved, it's a very confusing way of doing things. :well:

#541 rbm

rbm

• 281 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:33

out of interest I have (well the good lady has) just subscribed to Autosport free for 6 months!

ok, ok not exactly free but using Tesco's vouchers and it is on the offer where the vouchers are worth 3 times face value against the cost.

#542 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,990 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:24

I suspect retailers were not advised of the price increase and subsequent change to the barcode. Certainly, multiple retailers in the West Midlands were unable to sell this week's Autosport as when scanned, it came up as "unknown item" and being a publication, they were unable to override the system by referring to the sterling price on the cover.

#543 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:36

I suspect retailers were not advised of the price increase and subsequent change to the barcode. Certainly, multiple retailers in the West Midlands were unable to sell this week's Autosport as when scanned, it came up as "unknown item" and being a publication, they were unable to override the system by referring to the sterling price on the cover.

"More than me job's worth guv!"

This kind of thing can work both ways though, a few years ago my resolution weakened enough to buy the double Christmas Autosport. I don't think they changed the barcode then either, as despite being clearly marked at a higher one-off price, the woman in my local newsagent insisted that she had to charge me the regular price, as that was what showed up on her till. That must have been three of four years ago, and I haven't bought a copy of Autosport since, quit while you're ahead, that's my motto.

Edited by kayemod, 16 March 2014 - 10:36.

#544 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,990 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:44

"More than me job's worth guv!"

This kind of thing can work both ways though, a few years ago my resolution weakened enough to buy the double Christmas Autosport. I don't think they changed the barcode then either, as despite being clearly marked at a higher one-off price, the woman in my local newsagent insisted that she had to charge me the regular price, as that was what showed up on her till. That must have been three of four years ago, and I haven't bought a copy of Autosport since, quit while you're ahead, that's my motto.

That has happened to me on several occasions, Rob! Multiples either cannot react quickly to price changes, or more likely, they are not informed in time if at all by the publisher.

#545 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted Today, 08:58

Was there any mention about the possible change of law about street races in Britain in the recent Autosports?

So I can find a copy for myself for my research about the Birmingham Superprix.

#546 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,990 posts

Posted Today, 10:57

Was there any mention about the possible change of law about street races in Britain in the recent Autosports?

So I can find a copy for myself for my research about the Birmingham Superprix.

Lead article in the "Club Autosport" section, July 17th issue of Autosport. :wave:

#547 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted Today, 12:09

Lead article in the "Club Autosport" section, July 17th issue of Autosport. :wave:

Superb, thanks for the date so I can try to find it somewhere.

#548 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,990 posts

Posted Today, 12:11

Superb, thanks for the date so I can try to find it somewhere.

If you have a problem finding a copy, PM me with your e-mail address & I will scan & send you the page. :up: