Photo

'Autosport' magazine

• Please log in to reply
562 replies to this topic

#551 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 514 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:17

I've not bought AS for years for just that reason, they seem so out of touch.  I gave up my MN subscription at Christmas for the same reason after 40 plus years of reading it as so much was pasted in press releases from wannabe drivers in obscure series that no one has any interest in - just as John remarked about the lad losing a Ginetta drive, no doubt because he could not pay for it! Ah didums!

Advertisement

#552 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,225 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:21

Bought a copy en route to Silvesrtone last week.Proof,if it were needed, that it is only interested in or aware of F1. At least 20 pages of tribute to Jules Bianchi(Gilles Villeneuve got a page)including well meant,but trite and vacuous tweets from his colleagues.And an editorial saying that JB was the first person to die in an F1 car for years etc etc. Ironically it is exactly a year since Denis Welch died in his Lotus F1 car  at.. Silverstone .Talking of which, the Classic  got about 2 column inches. preview.A quarter of what a story about somebody losing a Ginetta BTCC support drive got...

True-they also forgot Maria di Villota who died as a result of a testing accident--also hit a truck :cry: Begning to wonder if I should give up  on Autosport-have bought it since 1955-last weeks did not arrive until Monday.Anyone want at least 20 years collection? Cant remember when I last looked at them and I will not be around for ever.

#553 dgs

dgs

• 71 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:36

Thank you for that Roger. I should have spotted Jimmy Stewart by the rolled up sleeves!. I often wish that there was a 'Black Book' on 1950's British F.Libre racing, a fascinating subject. :cool:

Eric If you are not aware a 'black book' on European F.Libre Racing has been published by the Formula One Register, it covers years 1929 to 1961. Excellent details on the race above and many many more

#554 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:05

Pierre Chauvet was also killed driving à GP car wasn't he?

#555 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 366 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 13:27

I gave up my MN subscription at Christmas for the same reason after 40 plus years of reading it as so much was pasted in press releases from wannabe drivers in obscure series that no one has any interest in...

Let's separate this out a bit.

When I last read a guide on how to become a racing driver (circa 1985) I was told to find sponsors, then to promote (hypothetical) myself and my sponsors. The expression "unique selling proposition" was unusual at the time, but it was implied. To become a successful driver, you had to be good and "different". The wannabe drivers who send a press release to MN and AS are trying it. I'm not particularly interested in junior series (not enough open wheelers in the UK), but if I had £100,000 to spend on sponsorship, I'd be reading their blurb with interest.

Junior motor sport is in a pickle. An old driver is 17 years old without a kart career. Formula 4 might be enough to get decent race reporting on paper/web and on TV, but it is still a mess. Loads of drivers highlighted their ability by driving a new car from a new constructor in junior series. Today, there are no new cars from new constructors.

#556 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,778 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 16:02

To be honest I would have no interest at all in reading about the Classic, it is an over-rated and over expensive event at any rate. It was ruined y the weather.

Reading about things happening overseas or at events I am unlikely to attend is more interesting to the casual reader, part of the reason why the events like this get decent coverage. WEC, DTM etc.

No-one wants to read a load of press releases rewritten by a junior reporter, but let's be honest if there is no real news (which is often the case), this is what you are left with.

Magazines now are literally quote machines, we have neen trained to look for them, pick them out in an article, you do it online and in print without realising.

Detail is kept to a minimum and pics are thrown everywhere to try and make you look around.

Content has disappeared, talent has too, and that is why noone buys these magazines anymore and theya re all suffering. What is selling is gossip mags, fitness mags, tv mags. Mags for women, that market is doing fine.

Preach to the publishers, the people making the decisions, they are the ones driving it this way, no writer worth their salt really wants motorsport magazines to look like they do, they are just doing what they are told. As a writer it is hard to be individual now, you write to house style.

Trouble is, these days, if you tried to sell a paper of magazine full of copy and few pictures very few people would buy it too!

#557 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 366 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 16:24

Trouble is, these days, if you tried to sell a paper of magazine full of copy and few pictures very few people would buy it too!

I think your comments are too negative. Books, full of new words and discovery, sell enough to pay for new underpants.

If you convince the seller of an old racer that you can provide a good write-up, you can buy a waist coat (US: vest?).

For a really sexy car write-up, buy a suit.

#558 john aston

john aston

• 946 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 18:37

Another apercu re the Classic from our friendI  Mr chunder ; he would be well advised only to pass judgment on whether an event has been ruined by the weather if he was actually there  himself. I was, it rained, and I enjoyed it hugely.

Edited by john aston, 29 July 2015 - 18:38.

#559 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,778 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 18:51

I am not judging anything really.

If you enjoyed watching in the rain, fair play to you, I am not that person (most arent really) and would usually either not go to a race meeting in the rain or leave early as it is in my opinion always hopeless in the rain anywhere, unless you are driving. And this is from experiencing it year after year and realising I was being a moron for sitting there trying to make something out of nothing!

On topic, books are a totally different market really. Are the days of magazines over?

Well I started buying one recently about motocross, reason?  It wasn't five or six quid which most car magazines are these days. Simple enough.

I went for an interview recently at Dennis, and was fascinated by the reaction to the question "what do you think of our magazines", when i told them I do not buy them as they are too expensive. Literal non belief.

Needless to say I did not get the job!!

Advertisement

#560 opplock

opplock

• 178 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 19:21

"Always hopeless in the rain".

Thankfully I don't share your opinion and have fond memories of being soaked to the skin watching 1984 Monaco GP, Brian Redman giving a masterclass in Chevron B29 at Manfeild in 1976, Derek Warwick in 956 at 1983 Brands Hatch 1000k and numerous other demonstrations of real driving ability.  

#561 Thundersport

Thundersport

• 476 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 21:42

Pierre Chauvet was also killed driving à GP car wasn't he?

Yes Arrows FA12 at Most in 2002.  :cry:

#562 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 366 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 22:17

I went for an interview recently at Dennis, and was fascinated by the reaction to the question "what do you think of our magazines", when i told them I do not buy them as they are too expensive.

Which Dennis? The people who worked with Felix Dennis claimed that they were connected with the real world.

#563 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,425 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 22:22

True-they also forgot Maria di Villota who died as a result of a testing accident--also hit a truck :cry: Begning to wonder if I should give up  on Autosport-have bought it since 1955-last weeks did not arrive until Monday.Anyone want at least 20 years collection? Cant remember when I last looked at them and I will not be around for ever.

Yes, and Maria was driving a current F1 car for a current F1 team. I find the way in which her death is not acknowledged as an F1 death troubling.