Photo

Dramatic accident at Goodwood Circuit Revival

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 19 September 2000 - 07:16

I attended the third circuit revival at Goodwood over the weekend. The event was as brilliant as ever and this time the weather was much better than last year. The event was marred by an extremely horrific accident at the start of the Richmond & Gordon Trophy race for late 50's GP cars. Nigel Corner's Ferrari 246 Dino was tagged from behind as the cars left the grid, spun to the right and then executed a number of rolls. Corner was thrown vertically from the car landing heavilly on the tyre wall just after the pits. At first the worst was feared but within twenty minutes it was announced that he was in the medical centre, sitting up and talking. It emerged later that he suffered a number of broken ribs and a punctured lung. The Ferrari was heavily damaged but no doubt will be fully restored before too long. Other drivers involved in the shunt were Martin Stretton, Connaught - Alta C Type, Stirling Moss - Cooper T53 and Alain De Cadanet - Cooper T51.[p][Edited by Eric McLoughlin on 09-19-2000]

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 30 September 2000 - 03:55

Moss, eh? Must have been him that started it all...

#3 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 02 October 2000 - 18:10

Hi Ray

Nice to see you're back in harness.

I think De Cadenet was the culprit.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 03 October 2000 - 11:09

Good to be back, Eric... how's it all going in your corner of the world... and how's the Clubman?

#5 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 03 October 2000 - 18:02

Working hard - little time to browse BB's, read my Motorsport collection or write articles (very sorry). I'm also suffering "jet lag" from watching the Sydney Olympics - brilliant show - well done Oz.

The winter evenings are beginning to draw in noticeably and the Seven is now in hibernation (probably). At least with the removeable battery master switch the battery won't go flat through lack of use. Time to dust of the Scalextric set me-thinks.

#6 karim marouf

karim marouf

• 66 posts

Posted 03 October 2000 - 18:59

Did you guys see the photos in Autosport? The driver was thrown 30 feet up into the air. They are about the most dramatic accident photos I've ever seen.

Stirling Moss was also involved, and his car (looks like it was hit from behind) went airborne also, but luckily landed right-side up.

Thank god no one was seriously hurt.

Maybe I'll try to scan that photo and post it later.

Karim

P.S. Anyone attending the Willow Springs race this weekend or the Coronado race in a few weeks?

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 03 October 2000 - 22:27

Are you serious, Eric?
I can think of little more exciting than a Seven on ice...

#8 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 03 October 2000 - 22:43

Hate to interrupt, but there was similar thread 10ish days ago... Wait, just got it; here's a photo (rolando's thread, and his photo).

http://www.the-sun.c...rypics/13016778

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 03 October 2000 - 22:59

Well, I hate to be picky, but that's not 30' unless it's on the way down, but it looks like it will hurt anyway... don't they have belts?

#10 William Dale Jr

William Dale Jr

• 405 posts

Posted 04 October 2000 - 01:51

I believe that most (if not all) historic car drivers prefer to race the cars "as they were". And considering the safety level of those cars, wasn't the train of thought back then that it would be safer to get thrown out of the car?

#11 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 04 October 2000 - 01:56

Most of the historic events that I have been required the use of seat belts. I know that he decided not to use them and that choice in this instance may have saved his life!

#12 jmcgavin

jmcgavin

• 180 posts

Posted 04 October 2000 - 08:32

I'm sure the concensus was that it was better to be thrown clear. considering there were no roll bars and the fire risk that seems fair enough. New to this forum but great to see debate beyond
"Schumachers great/rubbish"
" No Hakkinen's great/rubbish" etc etc etc

It's good to be here

Jim

#13 green-blood

green-blood

• 709 posts

Posted 04 October 2000 - 09:42

The story goes that he decided on the day to not wear seatbelts, the car finally came down upside down , so the driver would have been killed if he was strapped in - scary stuff, again like the Goodwood festival in June questions need to be asked as to whether these events should be fully competitive.

#14 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 04 October 2000 - 11:45

One of the things that has to be considered with cars of this era is where to place the anchorage points for the belts as the cars where obviously not designed to have them.

The same applies to fitting roll cages/bars.

As to whether or not this type of event should be fully competitive - I guess you should leave that decision up to the competitors themselves - It's their decision as to whether or not to enter the events and to how hard to drive.

Having attended may 'historic' events over the years, coz the racings better and the drivers are more friendly, there seem to be a large number of drivers who would probably agree with my point of view.

Its the same with argument as to whether or not they should risk damaging rare cars by racing them - most of the drivers/owners have the attitude that the cars where built to be raced, so they should be raced - if you leave them in a showroom they any rot away.

#15 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 05 October 2000 - 07:16

I got my post on this subject onto the forum the day after the event - only no one seemed to pick it up as a topic worth debating until few days later. Don't forget that the Goodwood Revival, Festival of Speed or Coys are not the only historic meetings during the year, there is a whole series of VSCC events throughout the season.

I noticed also that Moss was wearing his old style helmet all through the week-end, good job he didn't get thrown out too.

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 05 October 2000 - 16:53

In Australia, rollover protection and belts are mandatory, irrespective of what it does to the appearance of the car. To a large degree I agree...