Photo

Christopher Baker-Carr

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 14:22

I know that Christopher Teesdale Baker-Carr (who was nicknamed "Kit") was born on 31 December 1903 in Hythe, Kent. But other than that I don’t know much about him.

On the WWW I stumbled across a certain Brigadier General Christopher D’Arcy Baker-Carr. Is he related to the motor racing CB-C?

Also on the WWW I discovered that a certain Christopher Baker-Carr died in 1987. That CB-C was married to an American woman called Katherine Howe who in 1989 died in the USA. Since she is said to have married at least one more time her marriage to CB-C probably was divorced. Therefore it seems possible - if her husband was in fact the motor racing CB-C – that she returned to the USA after having been divorced leaving him behind in Great Britain.

Advertisement

#2 GeoffE

GeoffE

• 152 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 15:04

Christopher D'Arcy B S Baker-Carr married Sarah de Witt Quinan in London in 1902, so it seems quite possible he was the father of Christopher J T Baker-Carr.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 15:12

There was also a Robert Baker-Carr who raced a Brabham BT21 around 1989/90, and whose widow ISTR was once a TNF member

#4 GeoffE

GeoffE

• 152 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 15:36

Christopher Baker-Carr (the elder) was born in Cornwall in 1878, registered as Baker, son of Robert James BAKER, a vicar and Rose, a Channel Islander.

In 1891, Christopher DBSB Carr was at school in Godalming.

#5 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 15:40

Originally posted by David McKinney
There was also a Robert Baker-Carr who raced a Brabham BT21 around 1989/90, and whose widow ISTR was once a TNF member

That is Jenny Baker-Carr who races a Tecno F3 car.

#6 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 14:12

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

That is Jenny Baker-Carr who races a Tecno F3 car.

Andrew,

I have sent a link to Jenny. Her late husband Robert was a great racing enthusiast and lovely guy. No doubt she can shed some light on this discussion. :cool:

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,856 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 14:33

Christopher Baker-Carr was indeed the son of Brigadier General Christopher D’Arcy Baker-Carr, Reinhard. (Source: wedding report in The Times, July 2nd 1934). Christopher's brother John eventually became Air Marshal Sir John Baker-Carr.

(Apropos nothing really, the Brigadier was declared bankrupt in 1928 and named as co-respondent in a divorce in 1929.) The Times, passim

#8 Jenny BC

Jenny BC

• 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 14:40

How interesting to read about my late father in law and Bentley/Mother Gun racer, Kit Baker-Carr (C T Baker-Carr) and my late husband, Robert, (who died 23rd October 1999 from cancer aged 51) whose 1969 F3 Tecno I have been racing until my whiplash injuries 2 years ago.

Kit Baker-Carr died in 1970 and had two marriages. The first produced various children including his first born son, also Christopher (it was the Baker-Carr tradition to name the first born boy Christopher, and usually shortened to Kit) who was half brother to my Robert who came from Kit's second marriage after WWII to Marian who also produced his lovely sister Susan (another family name).

Half brother Christopher is a wonderfully eccentric chap who married again one of the Krug champagne women. He had an incredible memory for facts and information about the Baker-Carrs and anything to do with motorsport. He also had a son, again called Kit, who lives in America.

The Baker-Carrs have a strong line of career soldiers so it was his uncle Brdr Sir John Baker-Carr who wrote an excellent book 'From Chauffeur to Brigadier' about his experiences in the Great War.

Marian Baker-Carr, Robert's mother, sadly sold off all the Brooklands collection in May which happened to be one of the best in Europe. Unfortunately I did not hear about this soon enough to raise the £15,000 or so it went for.

Robert had no children of his own (although we had fun trying for many years) and it may have been the cancer that was to blame. He adored my son, Miles, and we all had a most happy and contented life together, indulging our three passions: motorsport, golf and being with likeminded friends.

#9 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 15:39

Jenny most interesting thankyou. Hope you and Miles are well, nice to see you here again.

#10 Jenny BC

Jenny BC

• 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 16:04

Thanks Andy, and good to hear from you again. The gorgeous picture you painted of the Tecno hangs in pride of place in my sitting room. When I catch you at a weak moment I will have a painting of the drag racer done!

All well here apart from stupid neck and arm. Have a '64 Anglia that I may have to convert to an historic rally car that can also be used on the circuit as I cannot operate my arm and hand in an enclosed space now. Anyone want to buy a Tecno?!!

#11 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:30

Meanwhile from the online archive of "The Times" I learned that Christopher Jerome Teesdale Baker-Carr died on November 1st, 1970.