Pierre Dumay & Taf Gosselin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 13:28

Hi friends,
I need some informations about two "gentleman drivers" (I think so) of the sixties: Gustave Gosselin, from Belgium and Pierre Dumay, a frenchman.
They were very unhappy in the 1965 edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans when they arrived in 2th overall with a yellow 250 LM, behind the NART one that Rindt-Gregory drove to win.
I would know something about their lives, could you help me as usual ?
Thank you all. :cat:

Advertisement

#2 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 14:12

I don't know a lot of things about Dumay except he was born in the ex french-territory of Algeria and often raced under the pseudonym of "Loustel".

#3 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 15:54

Hello Fr@nk,

I've got the birth place of Pierre DUMAY : Alger in Algeria, because in several news they said about DUMAY that he is an "Algérois" ; Alger resident ...

About Gustave GOSSELIN nick-name "Taf" ,I've just : born in Charleroi (Hainaut) Belgium.

If someone have more...

#4 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,408 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:44

Posted Image
Taf Gosselin (b. 28 December 1927 in Quevaucamps) is on Facebook.
Posted Image

#5 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 13:01

Taf always looked absolutely the Mr Cool of the pair, with his hawkish features and carefully waved hair. Which of the pair was actually driving when the tyre blew on their GTB/C at Le Mans???

DCN

#6 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 21:14

Dumay raced for Ecurie Francorchamps from 1960-1966 , Gosselin from 1964-1871 at least.

Take a look at Autodiva

#7 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 21:52

Taf always looked absolutely the Mr Cool of the pair, with his hawkish features and carefully waved hair. Which of the pair was actually driving when the tyre blew on their GTB/C at Le Mans???

DCN

Taf, according to a German Wikipedia (yeah, I know) entry: http://de.wikipedia....ustave_Gosselin

#8 Alan Baker

Alan Baker

• 201 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:39

DCN

Contemporary reports differ, Henry Manney says Gosselin, Gregor Grant says Dumay. Pascal in "Ferraris at Le Mans" says Gosselin. The car, of course, was a 250LM, not a GTB/C!

#9 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 13:12

One of the sad things about how Rindt's drive is remembered is that everyone forgets that it ruined what would have been an even better fairytale win - a couple of Belgian gentlemen in a privateer team that had been faithful to the 24 for years (and would remain so), and for whom this was their only shot at victory. Given that both winning drivers are well-known for other exploits, it would have been nice for the casual to run their eye down the list of Le Mans winners in the sixties, sighting the legends like Gurney, Foyt, McLaren and so on, and pausing for a moment as they wonder who Dumay/Gosselin were.

#10 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 15:02

I always loved the under dog winning and agree with you, I believe I saw Taf a few times in the early B.O.A.Cs, the 1st one in an Alfa T33 I believe ( I could be wrong though ! ) r

#11 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,156 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 16:04

Contemporary reports differ, Henry Manney says Gosselin, Gregor Grant says Dumay. Pascal in "Ferraris at Le Mans" says Gosselin. The car, of course, was a 250LM, not a GTB/C!

Quentin Spurring says Dumay in his ongoing history of the race, as does David Tremayne in his biography of Rindt.

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 17:01

Yes LM of course, not GTB. Yellow, anyway...

DCN