Chinese GP 2007 post-race discussion, comments

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#101 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:18

Originally posted by Tigershark
Did anyone manage to figure out what caused Webber to wave his arms about at the S/F straight after he was passed by one of the Renaults, I think Heikki.

It was Mark Webber being himself, it can't be anything significant. Looked like some drunkard's attempt at one handed break dance while strapped in an open wheeled car, more than a wave.

I think he just wanted to see if the director would catch it and give him some telly time. Posted Image

Advertisement

#102 Fafa

Fafa

• 67 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:35

Anyone knows why is gravel trap before the pit, next to the last left handle corner where Hamilton spun?

#103 Knot

Knot

• 461 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:37

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
Fantastic race, great drive by Kimi and what a set up for Brazil!! Vettel was brilliant, as was Button. Ralf too until his idiotic move on Luizzi.

LOLOL... the announcer said something along the lines of not having seen Ralf race like that in a long time, to which I told my guests, "Yeah! Vintage Ralf! He'll now go off!"

And off he went.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#104 Knot

Knot

• 461 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:39

Originally posted by Fafa
Anyone know why is gravel trap before the pit, next to the last left handle corner where Hamilton spun?

It's mandated by FIA rules in which the pit run-off is very short.

Technical specification refers to it as the Coulthard Trap.

:lol:

#105 Knot

Knot

• 461 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:41

Originally posted by primer

They are just trying to follow the standard set by their road cars, more or less.

True that! Maybe Kube had a hard time trying to set brake balance via the I-Drive in his car.

#106 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,716 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:48

Originally posted by Knot

LOLOL... the announcer said something along the lines of not having seen Ralf race like that in a long time, to which I told my guests, "Yeah! Vintage Ralf! He'll now go off!"

And off he went.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny thing is he thinks Liuzzi hit him. Yeah, technically, but you turned in on him...

#107 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:57

Wow! That second shower, when most people were down to 'slick' inters livened things up - how many drivers went off-track? :eek:

I want Hamilton to win, but if I'm honest the result means that Brazil won't be a bit of a damp squib on a fantastic year, so not too unhappy. :)

Hamilton, brilliant race, but ruined by McLaren's bizarre strategy choice. He kept his chin up after the race and took full blame for sliding into the gravel. :up:

Raikkonen, didn't have quite the pace, but hung on until Hamilton's tyres went off and then took maximum advantage - a great race, watching him fight Hamilton for the lead while neither had any grip was fantastic. :up:

Vettel, astounding race (good strategy helped of course), especially on the back of Fuji. :up: :up:

Liuzzi, I can't remember the last time he had a memorable race, good job :up:

Button, a difficult start but was brilliant after switching to dries :up:

Coulthard, not everything went his way but he made the most of the situation, great race :up:

#108 RTX

RTX

• 1,454 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:00

Originally posted by Orin

Hamilton, brilliant race, but ruined by McLaren's bizarre strategy choice. He kept his chin up after the race and took full blame for sliding into the gravel. :up:

It was actually ruined by pushing too hard and destroying his tyres. The Mclaren strategy was the same as Alonsos who didnt destroy his tyres. He finished second. Hamilton finished looking for a crane. I hope you understand things a little better now.

#109 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,219 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:06

Star of the day - KR AND SV - :up: :up:
I'm mighty pleased that Kimi has a chance to win the WDC.
Good race from FA - :up: Now, STFU and concentrate on driving. And don't be hit by a deluge of paranoia.
LH- Great start and then a cock-up. Law of averages catches up. Let us see how he can handle the pressure in the final race, when he has two hungry and detremined stalwarts ready to pounce at the slightest mistake.
Good race from JB too.
The overtaking move of the year - Renaults on Rosberg. That was great fun. :clap:

#110 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:06

Originally posted by Tuffy
One of the best overtakings this year: Kova, Rosberg and Fisico into turn one. :up: More of it.

Ah yes, the Renault sandwich - good stuff! :D

#111 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,508 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:08

Originally posted by RTX

It was actually ruined by pushing too hard and destroying his tyres. The Mclaren strategy was the same as Alonsos who didnt destroy his tyres. He finished second. Hamilton finished looking for a crane. I hope you understand things a little better now.

The whole world bar Mclaren could see that Hamilton's tyres were shot, they should have called him in 2 laps earlier - You can't reasonably criticise a driver for racing, that's what he was there for.

Ron Dennis et al would have done well to watch the 2 semi-finals in the World Rugby Cup yesterday when both the overwhelming favourites were beaten - England 50-1 against, Australia odds-on favourites; England won, and France beat New Zealand, the bookies are laughing all the way to the bank.

Hamilton and McLaren made the same mistake this morning - You take your competitors for granted at your peril, fate is a very fickle mistress, and she takes her revenge upon those who take no account of her whims.

#112 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:09

Originally posted by Pep

They overheated Alonso's tyres, according to some sources. So the soft tyres lose grip, specially in the fast sector where grip is more needed.

Alonso has said that he thinks it's imposible he finishes more than 6 tenths behind his teammate having been competitive all the weekend (1 tenth behind in the first attempt).

Yeah of course, because there's no way he could have got them back to temperature on the out-lap. Have you been reading Marca again?

#113 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:11

Originally posted by inaki

Friday practice 1 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.102. Advantage: Alonso
Friday practice 2 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.263. Advantage: Alonso (P2 0.006 behind Kimi)
Saturday practice difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.101. Advantage: Alonso

Q1 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.011. Advantage: Lewis
Q2 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.053. Advantage: Alonso

Q3 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.668. Advantage: Lewis. The biggest in the whole weekend. I do not understand. Can it be only fuel loads? The whole weekend top four have been within 2 tenths. Every practice this GP has been the closest in this season. Now Alonso is more than half a second behind. There has to be a rational explanation to that.

Don’t you find very strange this Q3, Alonso lost 6 tenths after a normal lap without any apparent mistake, when he has been over Lewis the whole weekend and also very close or over both Ferraris. In addition to that he has been the only one driver not improving in his second flyer with softs his time in the first flyer (with hards). I do not buy it.

I don't buy it. As you said he didn't improve from his first flying lap to the 2nd. The only thing the team could of changed was tyres. Someone was on about overheating the tyres- i don't even think the tyre blankets can do that. Tyre pressure- can be checked after the lap, and both temp and tyre pressure can be monitored with telemetry afaik.
Now you have to ask yourself why would mclaren do this? All hamilton had to do was cruise around in 4th place in BOTH races and he would of won the WDC. So you are trying to tell me that mclaren would risk HUGE punishments to screw alonso over when there is no need to even do it?

If this was brazil i might buy into some of it, but for china it wasn't needed.

#114 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,856 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:13

Originally posted by Orin

Ah yes, the Renault sandwich - good stuff! :D

:up: for Fisi in that one, Nico and Kova couldn't keep the line and went off-track. Very entertaining moment.

The best pass of the year for me was Trulli on one of the Renaults (can't remember whether it was Kova or Fisi) at that tricky double-apex corner in Bahrain. Too bad there was only one quick replay of it, and it got quickly forgotten.

Hamilton on Kimi at Monza, and Sato on Trulli at Monaco get a mention too. And I remember Wurz passing someone in style at Sepang.

#115 Victor

Victor

• 441 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:20

This GP was also Ferrari's 600 podium finish.

Tiago Monteiro keeps his record of 16 GP finishes in a row for a rookie driver (Hamilton 15).
Luckily for Tiago there was not a crane available near the pit entrance.

#116 Cosmograph

Cosmograph

• 1,082 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:24

Jimpo, have you seen the race ? Do you attribute the 6 tenths difference to the fuel load??

Don't make me laugh.

Ron really says it all here:

But we weren't at all fazed about Kimi. We weren't racing Kimi, we were basically racing Fernando.

I'm sure that a little tinkering on Ron's orders has been taking place.

#117 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:24

Originally posted by Taxi
China:

Coulthard: Experience over speed.

:mad: / :D

I think he's driven superbly all weekend, it's just a shame that the timing of his stop was so unfortunate.
He was two or three laps lighter than Webber in qualifying but pulled away at a very impressive rate in the first stint.
One point is a dissapointment as I've said already (and DC has said the same) but atleast something could be salvaged from his great effort in qualifying.

I've sent you a PM btw.

#118 vaavu

vaavu

• 142 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:38

Originally posted by Victor
Tiago Monteiro keeps his record of 16 GP finishes in a row for a rookie driver (Hamilton 15).

Actually, Kovalainen still has the possibility to break this record. He has finished all his races so far.

Edit: and of course, Kovalainen now shares the current record (16 races) with Monteiro. Go Heikki go! :clap:

#119 inaki

inaki

• 2,421 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:04

Originally posted by Cosmograph

Ron really says it all here:

But we weren't at all fazed about Kimi. We weren't racing Kimi, we were basically racing Fernando.

I'm sure that a little tinkering on Ron's orders has been taking place.

This is ****ing incredible. But, yes, it is clear for me that Ron is favouring Lewis and doing things adversely affecting Fernando. Specially in quali.

Advertisement

#120 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 3,056 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:09

Originally posted by Taxi

Button: He's talented, he's reliable. Good race. Give him a McLaren

Yeah, a great race from him. That car is such crap in the wet, but stick on the slicks for a drying track and he was able to push to the limit. In his ITV interview his answer to Louise's question about next year was interesting, he didn't really answer with conviction about Honda next year.

#121 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:11

Lewis/Mac- :down: go for the points, people. :confused: WTF?
Kimi/Vettel- :up: :up: :up: super. Vettel made up, what, 13 places? That's two awesome races in a row(sure he screwed up at Fuji, but 3rd before he crashed-this kids got it)
Massa-is it me or does Massa just not seem himself the last two races. Excuses here and there. Get on with it mate. Kimi is going to need you in Brazil.
Alonso-pretty good race. You really can't count the guy out. He could win it all and take the number 1 with him. Dennis must be dying inside at that possibility.
Luizzi-fantastic
Ralf-enjoy your last two weeks
Fisi- :up:
rain- :up:

#122 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,074 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:24

God bless the rain, it has salvaged the season form being a long run of boring and disappointing races. Now we actually have enough overtaking and on tracks moments to remember form the year.

It was a very good race. If anything, I'd fear it would be Alonso who'd suffer from abusing the intermediate tyres given his driving style and what happened last year.

Great drive from Raikkonen, he has reminded me of his 2005 form since F1 returned to Europe back in France.
Alonso did great too. The McLaren was not a match for the Ferrari in the drying conditions, but he maximized his score once more, just like he did the past two years.
A so so race for Massa. Beat up his tyres and then couldn't keep up with Alonso. Perhaps he did lose interest after all. I still expect him to show a fighting spirit and win at Brazil, despite Raikkonen's nead.
Thumbs up for Vettel, Button and Liuzzi. An average result for Heidfeld and disappointing one for Coulthard, who definetely got put back by strategy.

And who would imagine the year would end in a three way fight???

Roll on Brazil. TV ratings will be sky high. Bernie will crap himself in joy if Hamilton takes it, which is still very likely.

#123 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:33

great rac from kimi :clap:

but now his 2 dnf´s hurt even more :

all three top drivers made one crucial mistake, so their they are on pair
but none of the mclaren driver had a dnf due a mechanical failure :mad:

again kimi loses i wdc because of poor reliabilty - this is not fair :|

#124 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:34

Great race with lot's of action, mistakes, great overtakings etc. Räikkönen was awesome, Alonso was very good too. Vettel, wow!

Championship is alive and well, but I really wonder what would be the roles of the team mates this time. Somehow it seems to me that Alonso would rather have Räikkönen taking the WDC than Hamilton, and Massa would prefer Hamilton over Räikkönen. (Look at Maasa's face when he's within top three behind Lewis and when he's in top 3 behind Kimi).

#125 snx843

snx843

• 855 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:39

Had Lewis's tyre not physically delaminated we'd be looking at a different result I reckon :) It was really just a bad call by driver/team. It was obvious after the lap with 3 purple sectors that the tyres were going.

Having seen the tyres at the first pitstop it was marginal for all. Hamilton paid for his desire to win, not collect a WDC.

Atleast Lewis raced for the win, no cruise and collect, thats admirable, if a little stupid :) Blaze of Glory?

McLaren have this habit of bad calls in weather...Nothing new. Remember Hockenhiem for example some years ago.

I actually hope Lewis and Alonso crash and Kimi wins the title.

Alonso deserves nothing.

Lewis, not that bothered if he wins or not...Prefer him to win over Alonso.

Kimi has just sat quietly all year and never once blamed, moaned or raised his voice, working quietly and in harmony with the team and really worked it out. Deserving champion.

#126 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

• 2,599 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:41

Mclaren's brain fade to let Lewis race on canvas was about as cool as Ferrari starting on inters at Fuji.

Sometimes You wonder why there's no quality control at race strategy decision making. Even a 6yrs old child could have got it right.

"It's raining like hell and everyone is on full wets, let's put full wets on our cars as well"...

"Lewis can't keep the car on track and is 2-4s slower than Fernando, call him in"...

#127 Victor

Victor

• 441 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:44

Originally posted by vaavu

Actually, Kovalainen still has the possibility to break this record. He has finished all his races so far.

Edit: and of course, Kovalainen now shares the current record (16 races) with Monteiro. Go Heikki go! :clap:

You're absolutely right. It's amazing how quickly records fall nowadays. This is the kind of record that should last for 10 years... Well, good luck for Kovalainen.

#128 snx843

snx843

• 855 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 13:45

Originally posted by Johny Bravo
Mclaren's brain fade to let Lewis race on canvas was about as cool as Ferrari starting on inters at Fuji.

Indeed, especially when you can see the canvas on TV the tyre will be destroyed and about to deflate! He goes round for another lap, stupid!....Sure Hamilton can't see the tyres but he can feel a problem! McLaren have the TV and can see the canvas, the pitlane is open...totally stupid situation by all accounts!

Great driving at the start.

#129 RuB

RuB

• 964 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 14:22

Originally posted by Pep

They overheated Alonso's tyres, according to some sources. So the soft tyres lose grip, specially in the fast sector where grip is more needed.

Alonso has said that he thinks it's imposible he finishes more than 6 tenths behind his teammate having been competitive all the weekend (1 tenth behind in the first attempt).

On the grid before the race was asked about what happened in the last Q3 run, he told that the tyre pressure was much higher than normal ....

"doctored" again?? :o

#130 Budvar

Budvar

• 170 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 14:23

I'm gutted......Kubica 25.00 e/w @ 125/1......1 stop stragey....leads the race.....the curse strikes again :cry:

#131 RTX

RTX

• 1,454 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 14:28

Why do ITV and Planet F1 keep saying Hamilton only needs a 3rd at Brazil to win the WC? Am i missing something or doesnt Alonso winning and Hamilton 3rd give Alonso the WC on wins countback?

#132 ingegnere

ingegnere

• 283 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 14:30

Originally posted by snx843

Indeed, especially when you can see the canvas on TV the tyre will be destroyed and about to deflate! He goes round for another lap, stupid!....Sure Hamilton can't see the tyres but he can feel a problem! McLaren have the TV and can see the canvas, the pitlane is open...totally stupid situation by all accounts!

Great driving at the start.

Probably wasn't a bad call if he hadn't dropped it at the entrance to the pit lane. They were just waiting for the right window to do only one more stop.

Wonder if the British press will attach to him the same tag they loved to put on Schumi: He makes mistakes when he's under pressure! (see also British GP pit stop f-up).

#133 ingegnere

ingegnere

• 283 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 14:38

Originally posted by snx843

Kimi has just sat quietly all year and never once blamed, moaned or raised his voice, working quietly and in harmony with the team and really worked it out. Deserving champion.

I agree. Just one less retirement and he'd be in with a really good chance.

For all the flack he gets about being uncommunicative, he's the sharpest guy in the interviews. He's very good at describing technical issues and assessing the championship situation (answer to Windsor's "winner take all" comment: "Not really!") without resorting to flowery PR bull.

#134 jmarinma

jmarinma

• 219 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 14:49

Alonso :up: :up:
Kimi :up:
Hamilton :down: :down:
Mac :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:
So LH qualyfied with 4 laps less fuel than Alonso. And they are talking about equality ):
I don't know if Alonso will win the WDC, but today has been the best day of the season, everybody waiting for LH crowned and then, oh, Taxi for Hamilton :lol: This shows that you can't celebrate anything until finished.

#135 jmarinma

jmarinma

• 219 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 14:50

Originally posted by Pep
I'd like to think Alonso has some chance, but McLaren wouldn't allow Alonso to be crowned champion I'm afraid. Just some wrong tyre pressures or overheating of tyres as in China and Alonso will be 4th in the quali.

Or put go to qualy with 4-5 laps heavy.

#136 RTX

RTX

• 1,454 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 14:52

Originally posted by jmarinma
So LH qualyfied with 4 laps less fuel than Alonso. And they are talking about equality ):

It was actually 3 but your point remains. Hamilton fans scream up and down when Alonso gets lighter fuel loads but now Hamilton was clearly given the qualifying advantage this race and no one says a word. All quiet. Whats worse it seems Alonsos last set of tyres were sabotaged in an effort to really put him away.
It didnt work. Alonso is a streetfighter and he will fight to the end.

#137 runggald

runggald

• 117 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 15:14

A great and entertaining race. Is it any wonder that every F1 fan I know prays for rain every single race. It is especially good when it's on the verge of being wet/dry and driver skill comes to the fore.

At least 20-30 overtaking maneouvres today and some great battles, and a great finale coming up in Brazil.

Today we also saw a glimpse of the Fisi of old. The one we remember who was always good in interchangeable conditions and always able to shine in wet races no matter how poor the car. He was absolutely flying at one stage with some fastest laps and pulled off some great moves (passing Kova and Wurz at the same time, Liuzzi, etc) to go from 18th up to 5th. Unfortunately, for all his hard work the team screwed up his strategy big time. He had a very long first stint and should've been on a one stop strategy but then they switched him to a two-stopper??? I mean what's the point, if you've already been so heavy for half the race to begin with and then having a 13 lap stint at the end? The whole point is to save that extra pit-stop later on. He passed Liuzzi and then pulled out 14 seconds in 5 laps but there was no way he was gonna get back out ahead.

Anyway, the point is that Fisi has copped a lot of flack on this board lately, but today he showed that he still has some of his old speed still left and with a bit of luck could've finished 5th instead of 11th.

#138 Pep

Pep

• 1,046 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 15:17

Originally posted by RTX

It was actually 3 but your point remains. Hamilton fans scream up and down when Alonso gets lighter fuel loads but now Hamilton was clearly given the qualifying advantage this race and no one says a word. All quiet. Whats worse it seems Alonsos last set of tyres were sabotaged in an effort to really put him away.
It didnt work. Alonso is a streetfighter and he will fight to the end.

True, 3 laps in China or 4 laps in Silvertone are actually more fuel than the "scandal" of 5 laps more for Hamilton in Monaco (very short circuit). And in Silverstone it was actually 5, as the extra lap went to Hamilton then.

#139 BiH

BiH

• 2,340 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 15:22

Originally posted by RTX
Why do ITV and Planet F1 keep saying Hamilton only needs a 3rd at Brazil to win the WC? Am i missing something or doesnt Alonso winning and Hamilton 3rd give Alonso the WC on wins countback?

Allen and Brundle were so carried away that they didn't know what their talking about :drunk:

If Alonso wins he will have 5 wins versus Hamiltons 4 so that would give Alonso the title as long Hamilton finished 3rd or worse at brazil

Advertisement

#140 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 15:24

I really dont care if any of them Mc drivers win the WDC, but I'm :mad: that Felipe isnt part of the fight going into Brazilian GP. Imagine the adrenaline rush in the grandstands!

Anyway, as for todays lottery, sooner or later Lewy would screw-up (yes, his tires were bad, but still, all he had to do was turn with extreme caution, as he had done many times in the same lap). Still he was on a class apart today, and (conspiracy stuff aside) would have won easily once again, which is very impressive given hes a rookie and the conditions were really tricky. :up::up:

Kimi got lucky, as both Hamilton and Kubica missed the win, but kudos for him to being there to collect it. :up:

Massa. Oh well, unfortunately it seems that his chances of a back-to-back win in Brazil is gone, as Kimi will get all the best strategy possible. :( Anyway, Massa obviously lost interest (but I'm sure that as a good teamplayer, wont become a liability to Kimi's chances).

Kubica :cry:

Button :up:

DC :up:

Webbo :down::down::rolleyes:

RB :( after a shameful display, will probably finish the year with zero points. :down:

I was cursing here, after the race, for not getting the ticket to go to Interlagos again this year (a bunch of friends are making the trip, but i'm saving for an european trip), oh well...wont be too bad to be watching from my comfy chair, I guess.

#141 tormave

tormave

• 963 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 15:38

Originally posted by molive
Kimi got lucky, as both Hamilton and Kubica missed the win, but kudos for him to being there to collect it. :up:

When Hamilton parked his car in the gravel trap Kimi had passed him already on the track. I would not call it luck that Kimi managed hir tyres much better than Hamilton and was able catch up. I'll give you Kubica was lucky for Kimi, but I think Kimi would have made a fight of it in the end. He was pretty quick once he got front grip back after his pit stop for dry tyres.

#142 jimpo

jimpo

• 278 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 15:52

Friday practice 1 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.102. Advantage: Alonso
Friday practice 2 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.263. Advantage: Alonso (P2 0.006 behind Kimi)
Saturday practice difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.101. Advantage: Alonso

Q1 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.011. Advantage: Lewis
Q2 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.053. Advantage: Alonso

Q3 difference between Fernando and Lewis is 0.668. Advantage: Lewis. The biggest in the whole weekend. I do not understand. Can it be only fuel loads? The whole weekend top four have been within 2 tenths. Every practice this GP has been the closest in this season. Now Alonso is more than half a second behind. There has to be a rational explanation to that.

Don’t you find very strange this Q3, Alonso lost 6 tenths after a normal lap without any apparent mistake, when he has been over Lewis the whole weekend and also very close or over both Ferraris. In addition to that he has been the only one driver not improving in his second flyer with softs his time in the first flyer (with hards). I do not buy it.

Q2 -> Q3 differences:

Hamilton +0.01
Kimi +0.663
Massa +0.425
Alonso +0.731

Fernando complained about Q3, he said everything up to that point was normal. I have heard the theories that McLaren either overheated Alonso's tyres or put the wrong temperatures in.

Did Ron also sneak in and sabotage the Ferrari tyres? Or is Ferrari in the same conspiracy, out to get Alonso? Must be.

Either that, or maybe the fuel load did in fact have an effect, maybe Lewis found an improvement to his setup before Q3 (nooooo.....only Alonso can setup a car, after all he alone has brought McLaren to the front this year, as we have heard), or *gasp* maybe even Alonso's edge to Lewis on this track was not really that big as he and his fans believed based on the practise times.

#143 rad787

rad787

• 679 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 16:07

Originally posted by jimpo

Q2 -> Q3 differences:

Hamilton +0.01
Kimi +0.663
Massa +0.425
Alonso +0.731

Fernando complained about Q3, he said everything up to that point was normal. I have heard the theories that McLaren either overheated Alonso's tyres or put the wrong temperatures in.

Did Ron also sneak in and sabotage the Ferrari tyres? Or is Ferrari in the same conspiracy, out to get Alonso? Must be.

Either that, or maybe the fuel load did in fact have an effect, maybe Lewis found an improvement to his setup before Q3 (nooooo.....only Alonso can setup a car, after all he alone has brought McLaren to the front this year, as we have heard), or *gasp* maybe even Alonso's edge to Lewis on this track was not really that big as he and his fans believed based on the practise times.

Mclaren adjusted LH front wing before his last run. None done for Alonso.

#144 molive

molive

• 9,794 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 16:14

Originally posted by molive
RB :( after a shameful display, will probably finish the year with zero points. :down:

Actually, let me re-prhase it, as it turns out he made a wrong decision to go with rain tires, just before it started to dry out.

But that sums up pretty well the kind of season Rubinho is having. :

#145 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 16:20

Originally posted by Johny Bravo
Mclaren's brain fade to let Lewis race on canvas was about as cool as Ferrari starting on inters at Fuji. Sometimes You wonder why there's no quality control at race strategy decision making. Even a 6yrs old child could have got it right. "It's raining like hell and everyone is on full wets, let's put full wets on our cars as well"... "Lewis can't keep the car on track and is 2-4s slower than Fernando, call him in"...

To be fair, McLaren also had to consider:

1) more rain on the way?
2) how far does he need to go so we can one stop him to the end?
3) which tires do we use?
4) what will his track position and points be after his last pit stop?
5) when will KR and FM stop?
6) what are FA's lap times?
7) when will FA stop?
8) how far apart will FA and LH be after their stops?

Their real problem was the potential for two pit stops. I think Lewis had to do a certain number of laps to ensure a one stop to the finish. If he was called in earlier he probably would have had to stop again. If he had got a bit more rain his pace and tire use would have been perfect. He just drove that wee bit faster than needed and paid the price. Rookie error. That is what experience in F1 - pushing at the front teaches you that a simulator can't. That's why Kimi and Fernando held their pace and protected their tires. He does need to reduce the sliding in his technique. That's another rookie thing.

#146 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,850 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 17:26

Well don't forget that Hamilton HAD to push because of fuel loads.

#147 Menace

Menace

• 12,395 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 17:46

Great race. Kimi clearly had the best lap in qualifying as he was the HEAVIEST of the top four. Massa was truly outclassed today for the first time by Kimi IMO. He qualified worse with a lighter fuel load, which really shot his chances of victory today. Hamilton... oh dear... should make for an interesting last race with Kimi and Fernando left with nothing to lose.

:smoking:

#148 jondoe955

jondoe955

• 501 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 17:58

Amazing race! My biggest surprise - JT is going out with Michelle Yeoh! :eek: What is it with these old, goofy looking guys? As Jules says in Pulp Fiction... Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' motherfuckin' pig. (I couldn't get that quote out of my head when I saw them together)
Kimi - was he almost smiling on the podium? And his speech was understandable! Well done!
Alonso - happy with his gift and acting normal. Keep trying.
Hamilton - what a class act! As much as I'd like Kimi to win for all the crap luck he has had to put up with, I'd prefer that Lewis gets it.

#149 pippin

pippin

• 741 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 18:15

Crazy race.

Big :down: to Maclaren. We could all see Lewis was struggling - why didn't they bring him earlier. ):

I've got to say well done to Kimi. He's such an 'unexciting character' but he's really come on strong in the latter half of the season. :clap:

Not much to say about Massa. It is a pity he's out of the championship battle, because he drove a brilliant race in Brazil last year and now he will have to play second fiddle to Kimi.

Kimi is actually in a good position because his teammate will yield to him but there's no way Alonso or Hamilton will yield to each other. Its gonna be fun.

Anyway back to the rest of the pack.

Fantastic drive by Vettel and Liuzzi. That car really has a fantastic wet set up for sure.

Also amazed to see Button vault up the field once he put on dries. :eek: Good drive there in such an awful car.

Shame for Kubica with the retirement, he was on for a good result there.

It really was a race of two halfs. Quite a few drivers suffered from bad tyre choices.

Also what was with Ralf Schumacher :stoned: One minute he was doing so well, then he went and threw it all away. :confused:

#150 prty

prty

• 5,218 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 18:20

Look at Alonso, Massa and Raikkonen faces and gestures here :p

http://stage6.divx.c.../video/1718120/