Modsports E-Type

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:41

Hi Guys

Does anyone have any photos of the Modsports E-Type raced by David Moore around the Northern circuits, particularly Aintree, during the 1970's ?

Some years later he brought the car out again for the AMOC Intermarque series between 1985 and 1989, when I believe it was painted red with a silver roof and later all blue.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Richard

Advertisement

#2 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:05

Richard

Start of an Inter-marque Challenge race from the mid - 1980s

Not a great shot but is that the car alongside the yellow E-Type?

If it is some of the other Northern TNF members may have a better picture from the same period?

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#3 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:51

Thanks Phil :up:

That definately looks like the correct car, it was these colours for a few years before eventually ending up in a metallic blue finish.

Any idea of the date of that meeting ?

Cheers
Richard

#4 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 17:02

Richard

Looking at the numbers of the cars matched aginst the programmes I have, fairly cartain it was Saturday 26th April 1986 at Oulton Park. The meeting was the " 5th Cheshire Cats' Trophy Meeting"

Kind regards

Phil

#5 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:54

Excellent Phil

So was anyone else at the same meeting ? I have also found one or two more dates that the car competed at :

Oulton Park 20/4/85 - Intermarque - No.45 - red/silv
Mallory Park 27/5/85 - E-Type Race - No. 45 - red/silv
Oulton Park 15/9/85 - Intermarque - No. 45 - red/silv

Mallory Park 26/5/86 - Intermarque - No. 45 - red/silv

Oulton Park 23/4/88 - Modified Jags and Intermarque - Both No. 45 - red/silv

Oulton Park 22/4/89 - Modified Jags - No 145 - blue

Any more photos would be most appreciated.

I dont have any dates for the earlier Aintree races yet but should have some soon.

After recently finding this beastie we are hoping to restore it back to similar specs to when David Moore was racing her.

Cheers
Richard

#6 amr2

amr2

• 51 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:09

Sorry I don't think I have any of my pictures from that era at Oulton and Aintree, as they have all 'gone west' in a succession of house moves and domestic up-heavals.

However, I do remember the car very well as Dave Moores garage, Mayfield Garage, of Aigburth Liverpool, was just along the road from my childhood and teenage home. It was previously his father's, who was often on the scene , as well.

When I used to attend Oulton to pit crew for my old friend Steve Cole, another Scouser, when he was racing his Morgan V8, we used to share Dave's 'MotorHome' affectionately known as Kermit! Something to do with the colour, being as it was a vile shade of bright green!

Many happy memories of after events activities.........what a great time that was.

Dave used to compete at Aintree and Oulton throughout the 70's and early 80's although I seem to recall that he may actually have had two different modsport E types during that period.

His garage was a BP petrol station and also at one time was the Liverpool Lotus franchise dealer and then subsequently became a Saab dealer.

Dave and his son Wes, took up saloon racing for a short while, using a Saab, but never really got anywhere.

Sadly Dave died a few years back and the business is no more.

I will check my photos when back at home, but I don't recall still having any from that period, very sadly!

Happy memories though!!

Andrew

#7 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:36

Hi Andrew

David would appear to be alive and well, I managed to speak to both him and Wes this week, and hopefully David is coming to see the car soon.

I should have remembered the old motorhome myself, I remember seeing it around the paddocks as a young boy, I never put the two together.

I believe he did have two E-Types, the car we have found was the second one which he ran occasionally in the seventies before bringing it out again in the eighties for Intermarque.

Fingers crossed that you can find an odd photo !

Cheers
Richard

#8 amr2

amr2

• 51 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:19

I don't live in Liverpool anymore, having left about 12 years ago, and can't recall where I had heard that Dave had passed away. I apologise for announcing his somewhat premature death! Great news!

I am sure Dave will remember me as I was a regular visitor to his premises....name of Andrew Russell.

Please do remember me to him!

I seem to recall that his first car was not a fast-back, whilst the later car was.

Am I right?

Rick, where are you based and where were you in the 70's?

I have such fond memories of that period in my life, spending every weekend at either Oulton, Aintree or Longridge, with rallies on weekends in the closed season!

His garage was a little mecca at the time as many of his staff were into Motorsport....as my little group of friends were also.

Does anyone know who was driving the Aston no 23 in the photo above as Steve Cole also drove a DBS owned by a rather wealthy Mancunian called Peter Ricketts, but can't recall if that car is his or not.

Thank you for transposing me away from my desk for just a few sweet moments........

Andrew

#9 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:19

Hi Andrew

We are based near Blackburn, I will pass on your regards to David when he visits us.

My father, Anthony Taylor, has raced since the early sixties, we actually competed against David with our prototype Aristocat, the replica XK, in various Mod Jags and Intermarque races during the eighties.

We plan to restore the E to the spec David ran in the Intermarque, it is actually a roadster, but we believe it may have started out as a Coupe. It looks like a road accident resulted in it being converted to roadster spec with a completely fibreglass back end by someone in Oxfordshire. David then bought it and used it alongside his other car in Modsports before then doing Intermarque later.

Cheers
Richard

#10 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 13:17

Richard - if you know of what Intermarque races the Jag was in I can look through the programmes I have, as if my Dad wasn't racing an Aston Martin V8 in the Intermarque races then he was either in the DB4 or the DBR4 and that would have been from '86 onwards.

#11 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 18:37

Does anyone know who was driving the Aston no 23 in the photo above as Steve Cole also drove a DBS owned by a rather wealthy Mancunian called Peter Ricketts, but can't recall if that car is his or not.

Thank you for transposing me away from my desk for just a few sweet moments........

Andrew [/B][/QUOTE]

Car 23 in the race is Michael Cousins in his Aston Martin V8:

Posted Image

With regards to Steve Cole a couple of shots of him in his TVR:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phil Rainford

#12 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 18:48

Is the TVR the one the became the 450SEAC??
Steve was a great bloke and I always rememer Dad (Gerry Marshall) racng the car at Donington with Herman the German running it and being involved in an accident; I still have a bit of the fibreglass!!

#13 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 17:30

Hi Gregor

Thanks for your response, following is a list of meetings I know the car raced at.

Aintree 21/6/75 - Modsports - No. ??
Oulton Park 12/7/75 - Modsports - No. ??
Aintree 27/9/75 - Modsports - No. ??

Aintree 3/8/76 - Modsports - No. ??

Silverstone 25/3/76 - modsports - No. ??

Oulton Park 16/9/84 - Intermarque - No?? - red/silver - practice only

Silverstone 30/3/85 - Intermarque and Modsports/saloons/sports - No. 45 - red/silv
Mallory Park 27/5/85 - E-Type Race - No. 10 - red/silv

Oulton Park 26/4/86 - Intermarque - No. 45 - red/silv
Donington 30-31/8/86 - Mod Jags - No. ?? - red/silv
Oulton Park 14/9/86 - Intermarque + Allcomers - No 45 - red/silv
Oulton Park 11/10/86 - Allcomers - No.?? - red/silv

Silverstone 21/5/88 - IM, ModSp and Allcomers - All No.45 - red silv

Mallory Park 14/5/89 - Intermarque - No 45 - blue
Pembrey 15/7/89 - IM, Aston vJag, Mod Jags, Allcomers - All No.45 - blue

I suspect that there are lots more races especially in the 85 and 86 Intermarque years, but this is all I know at present.

I am updating this list all the time as I find more results for the car. Any photos from any of these meetings or general info regarding the car would be most welcome.

A few extra races and details added, including some early Aintree races
A few more races and dates added

Cheers
Richard

#14 amr2

amr2

• 51 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:17

Rick, sorry but I was right, no photos of Dave's E type left!

I am trying to recall what I can of those times but the old grey matter isn't what it used to be.....

Gregor, Steve was a great friend although over the years I have lost contact with him after leaving Liverpool some years ago.

I knew him when he had the Morgan and when he drove for TVR, both the SEAC and latter in the Tuscan series, for many years.

The gang from the Blackpool factory, including Peter Wheeler, were all great fun although 'Herman the German' was sometimes rather hard work!

Happy days!

Phil, Thanks for the photos.

Finally, Rick, sorry for hijacking your thread, but will keep reading it to follow developments......

Andrew

#15 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:28

Originally posted by RickT
Hi Gregor

Thanks for your response, following is a list of meetings I know the car raced at.

Aintree 21/6/75 - Modsports - No. ??
Oulton Park 12/7/75 - Modsports - No. ??
Aintree 27/9/75 - Modsports - No. ??

Aintree 3/8/76 - Modsports - No. ??

Oulton Park 16/9/84 - Intermarque - No?? - red/silver - practice only

Silverstone 30/3/85 - Intermarque and Modsports/saloons/sports - No. 45 - red/silv
Mallory Park 27/5/85 - E-Type Race - No. 10 - red/silv

Oulton Park 26/4/86 - Intermarque - No. 45 - red/silv

Silverstone 21/5/88 - IM, ModSp and Allcomers - All No.45 - red silv

Mallory Park 14/5/89 - Intermarque - No 45 - blue
Pembrey 15/7/89 - IM, Aston vJag, Mod Jags, Allcomers - All No.45 - blue

I suspect that there are lots more races especially in the 85 and 86 Intermarque years, but this is all I know at present.

I am updating this list all the time as I find more results for the car. Any photos from any of these meetings or general info regarding the car would be most welcome.

A few extra races and details added, including some early Aintree races

Cheers
Richard

Richard, I'll cross check my photos next week but have spotted the following meetings I attended:

20/04/85 - Oulton
15/09/85 - Oulton

Could it also have raced in the Cheshire Cats meeting at Oulton in 1984 (28/04) and 1986 (26/04).
There are other races at Oulton & Mallory in the 1970s period as well as the 80s when there were races for Mod Sports and the Intermarque stuff which I will check out.

Steve

#16 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 13:54

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, I look forward to seeing what you find. Im not sure if you realise, but it was us who were next to your stand at Aintree last weekend, we were running the Chevron B24.

The E-Type is another rebuild project !

The Cheshire Cats meeting in 1984 is a definite no, their first race back after a number of years off was the September 1984 Oulton. As for the other later meetings you mentioned it is highly likely that the car was indeed there.

Cheers
Richard

#17 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 15:04

There is a thread referring to Peter Ricketts somewhere on this forum. The last time i saw him his shadow had not diminished and he was delivering a eulogy on a mutual friend who had just died. This would be in 1999

#18 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 15:37

Originally posted by sharman
There is a thread referring to Peter Rickitt somewhere on this forum.

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=72750

#19 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:26

Hi Guys

I have just added a few more races and dates to the list, were any of you at these extra events with your cameras ?

Cheers
Richard

Advertisement

#20 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 19:38

Richard

Is this the car in its " Blue Period " ?

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil Rainford

#21 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:35

When thumbing through some old Mallory photos at the recent TNF Northern pub night, it was pointed out to me that I had a photo of the E Type that was being sought by Richard - I must confess that the name of Dave Moore didn't ring any bells when I first saw this thread. So here it is - sorry it's not particularly sharp

Posted Image Posted Image

Hope it might help with your research.

#22 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 19:27

Phil
Thanks for the photo, the Blue car sadly is not the correct car but thanks anyway.

Alan
Fantastic ! thats the one, that a really nice photo too, many thanks for looking it up.

Cheers
Richard

#23 stevemoore

stevemoore

• 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 21:12

Hi,

Dave Moore is my Dad and I can confirm as Rick said that he is very much alive.

My Dad had a number of E Types over the years and enjoy that period tremendously.
He started of in the late 60's buying a car of roger Worrell with his pal Brian Murphy which was a Orange and Black Fixed head. Sharing this car for the first time at Aintree Brian doing the Modsports race and my Dad doing the Libre race, unfortunatley Brian rolled the acr at Village corner which resulted in them removing front and rear windscreens borrowing a pair of goggles and racing with no windows. After this accident the car was repainted eggshell blue.
After many engine rebulds my Dad decided that sharing with Brian wasnt the best option so He bought another car the ex Ted Worswick which was red but was pinted Eggshell Blue also to race alongside Brian unfortunatley in the early 70's my Dad had to sell this car to raise finaces and sold this car to Brian Mills.

Business improved and my Dad bought a very good Forward Engineering 4.5 E type hardtop Roadster wich was in Red which he raced a lot at Silverstone reguarlly against the likes of Robin Grey in his Morgan and the Porsches of Dick Lovett and John Cooper as wella sBrian in his then Duckhmas E type. winning a number of events such as the Pontins Trophy and Paddy Wright Trophy amongst others.

Business requred that once again that the car was sold and a number of years later he bought the car wich you have now. Originally all red the car was damaged in his first race with it at Aintree at Village corner again and time restrictions meant that the car was then stored untill the 80's when the car was recomisioned to use in the Inter Marque races racing for the Jaguar Drivers Club with Malcolm Hamilton and Ron Laech amoungst others doing many races and also in the relay teams for teh end of season races at Silverstone and Oulton.

I hope this helps with your research I have promised to bring my Dad up to see the car soon.

#24 amr2

amr2

• 51 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:46

Steve,

May I personally extend my humble apologies for suggesting that your father was deceased! I cannot tell you how bad I feel..................simply can't recall where I heard the incorrect info from, but I am delighted to hear that Dave is still very much with us.

Please do remember me to him.

I was a very regular visitor to Mayfield Garage in the 70's and in fact Dave was one of the reason I became so much of a petrol head.....

At one time he had a Racing Car Simulator, a thing very much in its infancy in those days, and I imagine it was probably in the late 60's, and although I was not old enough to drive, Dave invited me to have a go.

What a blast! Sitting in a single seater racing car with the screen up in front and actually driving around a race track........old hat now with modern computer games but in those heady days it was really something else.

That was me hooked! Thanks Dave.

As well as Dave and his father and two sons being around the place, I can also remember one of his full time mechanics, a large rather hairy chap named Mark. Good egg!

Oh such happy times,...............

My regards to the Moore family, and sorry for going on..........

Andrew Russell

#25 MalD

MalD

• 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 22:51

I just came across this thread. My dad Albert Davies was a mechanic on Brian Murphy's team throughout the 70's and I used to go along to meets at Aintree and Oulton Park. I remember Dave Moore and I think I may have knocked about with Steve Moore in the paddock. I would love to hear from anyone who has any details on Brian's E-type and pictures of the racing or stuff from the paddock.

I did track down Brian's E-type to a museum in the Czheck Republic, which can be found at:

http://www.auto-muze...type-reg-310-wk

I am also desperate to track down a copy of Cars and Car Conversions magazine from 1976 which featured Brian's e-type (cover and centre spread), I have a photocopy of the article but not the original mag. Anyone know of a copy anywhere?

Cheers,
Mal.

#26 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 23:56

I think I have it Mal, give me a day or two to check.

#27 MalD

MalD

• 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:26

I just found a pic of the magazine front cover on a Ford Fiesta website?

It is August 1976 edition of CCC.

http://www.fiesta-mk...front_cover.asp

#28 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:11

Posted ImageBy giraffe138 at 2009-01-27

Brian Murphy's E-Type chasing Brian Hough's TVR down the Railway Straight at Aintree at Tuesday night practice, circa 1970.

#29 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:13

Originally posted by MalD
I just found a pic of the magazine front cover on a Ford Fiesta website?

It is August 1976 edition of CCC.

http://www.fiesta-mk...front_cover.asp

Yeah, I definitely have that one - I remember the picture now.
Do you want a photocopy of the article or an electronic scan e-mailed?

#30 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 13:08

Originally posted by RickT
Hi Gregor

[COLOR=blue]Oulton Park 12/7/75 - Modsports - No. ??

Cheers
Richard

Of the events you listed can only add that the E-Type carried Number 152 in the above race.

Additional race - 12/10/75 - Mallory Park - E-Type carried number 61

I was also at the 20/04/85 Cheshire Cats meeting.

I'll now cross check my photos to see if anything turns up!

:wave:

#31 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:26

There are some photos of "Aintree E-types" on the F3 thread:
http://forums.autosp...y=&pagenumber=1

Starting from post #21 and then some more from about #106.

#32 MalD

MalD

• 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 13:51

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall

Yeah, I definitely have that one - I remember the picture now.
Do you want a photocopy of the article or an electronic scan e-mailed?

Thanks for digging it out, however just last night I found the same magazine for sale on ebay, should have it in a day or two.

Mal

#33 RickT

RickT

• 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 14:39

Hi Steve

Thanks for the response regarding the David Moore E-Type, sadly the car is no longer with us, it has now been completely restored and is currently being advertised for sale by it present owner.

Cheers
Richard

#34 FLYINGBLUEDOG

FLYINGBLUEDOG

• 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 16:31

Small world.....the Dave Moore thread!!

Dave is still alive and well as can be expected having suffered a stroke, I met him yesterday.....collected a Matra Murena from him in Cheshire......got talking as you do and he mentioned he used to race a Modsport E-type and had been to Mallory over the weekend to see his lads racing.....

So, a little Googling and here I am!!!

Nice to see pix of the car he spoke of....and whilst we're talking E-Types -I had the good fortune to have some instruction from Malcolm Hamilton at Oulton a few years ago, he mentioned he made a mess of one there when I checked his credentials! Now retired and in Spain I believe!

Flyingbluedog
AKA Mel

Edited by FLYINGBLUEDOG, 06 October 2009 - 16:32.

#35 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,583 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 17:32

Posted Image
Lap 1 GT Race - April 1973

:wave:

#36 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:50

Further back up this thread I linked to an Aintree thread, from which some of the E-type photos have now disappeared, so here they are again!

The two curved slots in the bonnet were cut by hand, using a hacksaw blade, between practice and race. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image