Photo

Healey SR

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 18:16

There is a Healey SR that has been advertised as the original car - anyone know the full story?
I seem to recall a replica being built from some original parts.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 20:21

Where is it?

ISTR that the original car with the Repco-Brabham V8 was owned by Sydney collector/enthusiast David Cruickshank.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,097 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 21:30

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Where is it?
ISTR that the original car with the Repco-Brabham V8 was owned by Sydney collector/enthusiast David Cruickshank.

Ray, there was a Healey SR2 3.5ltr at the Goodwood FoS in 1998, listed as belonging to Australian Tom Barr-Smith. ISTRC an article in one of the magazines about the rebuild of possibly this car in recent years.

Roger Lund.

#4 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 22:28

The car for sale is at Vanderveken in Brussels

here

#5 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 22:50

I saw it at the Brussels Retro Fair last week :

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 22:51

There is only one "real" car right? So is the car in Belgium or the car in Oz the real one?

#7 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 22:55

In the middle picture, you can see a sticker "AUS" on the back of the car so I guess this is the car that was in Australia.

#8 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 23:19

The correct car is in Australia , owned by Robert Harrison of Sydney with the full line of history and provenance, the Harrison car carries C.A.M.S. Certificate of Description , C.A.M.S. paperwork was declined on the car being offered for sale in the photo's.

Bryan Miller.

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 23:45

Allan Cruickshank, not David, right Bryan?

I remember he had it at an Historic Amaroo, probably in the very early eighties...

As for the other car, that would have been an extremely hard car to duplicate, methinks!

#10 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 00:24

Ray,

Allan Cruickshank has no relatioship to the Healy SR, he owns a Chevron .

#11 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 00:36

Originally posted by Jeremy Jackson
The car for sale is at Vanderveken in Brussels

here

From which there is a further link to;
http://healeysr.blogspot.com/

.....which seems to indicate that the car for sale is the pukka Australian-owned one

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 00:57

Originally posted by BT 35-8
Allan Cruickshank has no relatioship to the Healey SR, he owns a Chevron.

Oh yeah, and a very nice one at that!

So who am I getting him mixed up with? Did Robert Harrison first bring the car from the UK?

#13 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:01

The correct car is in Australia , owned by Robert Harrison of Sydney with the full line of history and provenance, the Harrison car carries C.A.M.S. Certificate of Description , C.A.M.S. paperwork was declined on the car being offered for sale in the photo's.

Bryan Miller.

This is the only genuine Healy SR in existance as decribed above by Bryan Miller......

#14 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:25

Ray,

Rob. Harrison imported the car from the U.K. a very long time ago .

Bryan.

#15 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:44

Ray,

Rob. Harrison imported the car from the U.K. a very long time ago .

Bryan.

Ray, it is also fitted with the correct Repco engine .....

#16 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:54

I seem to recall there was discussion about a replica being built from a spare body-what became of that car?

#17 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:02

Originally posted by David Birchall
I seem to recall there was discussion about a replica being built from a spare body-what became of that car?

Yes it is a Replica and at the same time a Partial Fake, i know these are harsh words, but harsh words on this one are required to stop this from happening again.............. :down: :down:

#18 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:22

What became of the replica?

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:09

The replica is the one that's for sale...

Ya gotta get with the plan.

Advertisement

#20 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:13

The replica is the one that's for sale...

Ya gotta get with the plan.

Ray, you are very correct.... :up:

#21 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:17

Originally posted by Gav Astill

From which there is a further link to;

.....which seems to indicate that the car for sale is the pukka Australian-owned one

This is one reason I was confused and I am not the only one I think!

So, the one for sale in Belgium we are sure is the 'replica' ?

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:29

Hmmm... I'm afraid I don't have the continuity of association nor the closeness to the parties involved to speak with any authority here...

Over to folk like Bryan and Peter.

#23 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:43

If the car for sale is a coupe it is the car that was declined paperwork in Australia , also it should ,to be anything like a correct version have a 2.0 litre Climax FWMV V8 and Hewland .

This has all been gone through at '' the other place '' some time ago via Mr. Tony Caldersmith , head of the Historic Eligibility Committee in Australia in emails to Mr. John Turner at '' the other place''.

Bryan.

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:08

In the interests of clarification, Bryan, can you give us a link to that discussion?

That way everyone can read it and understand what's going on...

#25 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:27

I suspect Bryan omitted the link for reasons of forum protocol ;)

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:07

Originally posted by David McKinney
I suspect Bryan omitted the link for reasons of forum protocol

Nobody every worried about that before...

Anyway, there's a more important issue here, the truth.

#27 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:20

If the car for sale is a coupe it is the car that was declined paperwork in Australia , also it should ,to be anything like a correct version have a 2.0 litre Climax FWMV V8 and Hewland .

The sign on the car at the show in Brussels said it originally had a Climax V8.

#28 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:39

If 'the other place' is 10-tenths the threads seem to be missing. I certainly can't find anything other than a reference to a Healey SR thread being messed with.

#29 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:49

Nobody every worried about that before...

You mean not in threads you read
There have been many, many references to "the other place" in recent years

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 13:13

I believe I may have been the one who started the 'other place' reference, David...

But that's not to say there haven't been links posted. I know there have been, in fact.

#31 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 13:16

Here's some more info. on the car:

Did the Australians reject it because it has the wrong engine?

#32 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 13:27

We're not able to tell at this distance, Peter, but I'd say that would be the case...

If the car that did get a Repco engine is here, then there's no way the one that didn't would be accepted with one.

#33 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,097 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 13:36

SR which was at the FoS
Posted Image
By some bizarre coincidence, in this month's issue of Octane there is a preview of a piice in the next issue ..... on a new replica of the Healey SR, but built as a scratch built hobby project, albeit using ali for the monocoque and bdy rather than the original steel and Birmabright.

The article notes that following the original cars demise
" the basis of the car was later used for the Healey Roadster, driven in the 1970 le Mans, with some of the original scrap parts used many years later to build another replica in Australia." So next month's Octane should be interesting. Inevitably the new replica carries race number 47

Roger Lund

#34 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 13:45

Originally posted by Mark A
If 'the other place' is 10-tenths the threads seem to be missing. I certainly can't find anything other than a reference to a Healey SR thread being messed with.

I think the 'other place' in this instance could be DailySportsCar fourm. it was talked about there a while back.

here is a link,

http://forum.dailysp...opic.php?t=3035

please feel free to delete it if it breaks a rule?

contained is this link to a auction where SR1 was sold in 95
http://www.motorbase...y-id/402650588/

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 14:05

There's no explanation there from Tony Caldersmith...

No discussion about the CAMS' rejection of the car at all.

#36 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 16:18

There was another thread on this car at the beginning of the year entitled Healey Repco-Brabham started by cosworth bdg. In it I mention the thread at 10/10s:

The thread number is 76415 in the Motorsports History section of 'The other Forum'. For some reason I cannot access it. Thread title is "Healey SR X37 Repco 740".

I have not been able to open this thread again-perhaps someone else could try? It went into the original cars history and the replica in some depth I recall-I hope it hasn't been locked.

#37 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 16:56

Originally posted by bradbury west
SR which was at the FoS
Posted Image
By some bizarre coincidence, in this month's issue of Octane there is a preview of a piice in the next issue ..... on a new replica of the Healey SR, but built as a scratch built hobby project, albeit using ali for the monocoque and bdy rather than the original steel and Birmabright.
Roger Lund

This one maybe?

http://sebringsprite.com/bodyshell.htm

Tried to access the 10/10ths thread and it does not seem to open, I have no idea why, but it may be possible later as with all things internet based sometimes they work, and sometimes not.

#38 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 21:26

In all probability, someone with a vested interest has had the thread locked away...

Any chance that Tony Caldersmith could post here?

#39 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 21:36

So, what’s the story with this one? (Silverstone Classic 2006)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 21:45

David, that would seem to be the one mentioned above at www.sebringsprite.com
A replica but an acknowledged one (For now....)

#41 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 21:51

Originally posted by David Birchall
David, that would seem to be the one mentioned above at www.sebringsprite.com
A replica but an acknowledged one (For now....)

I can't find it :confused:

#42 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 22:12

Go back two posts and use the link there :wave:

#43 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,097 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 23:58

Bryan Miller.

For the full article by Nick Brittan on the car
Thoroughbred & Classic Cars; January 1988

Roger Lund.

#44 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:08

Roger, thanks for sending me that story... but please, mate, don't send me stuff like that without asking first... at least, not until I get my computer situation sorted...

I am struggling to keep this computer going, that's why I asked Ken to send pics to my gmail address. I just took over an hour, and had to reboot my computer, to access one page you sent me. You weren't to know, of course, but it's not necessary to scan things at such high resolution for computer use. To print them it's another issue.

Now, for some news for this thread...

Robert Harrison was talking to a friend of mine today, "Oh yes, they had the floorpan of a chassis and they got the roof that had been cut off my car when it was fitted with the Repco engine," he said. "They came to me and asked if they could get measurements from my car to enable them to build the thing up and they spent a lot of time measuring everything so they could make a new car."

Robert still has the car... the coupe was 98% made in Australia...

#45 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:25

Now, for some news for this thread...

Robert Harrison was talking to a friend of mine today, "Oh yes, they had the floorpan of a chassis and they got the roof that had been cut off my car when it was fitted with the Repco engine," he said. "They came to me and asked if they could get measurements from my car to enable them to build the thing up and they spent a lot of time measuring everything so they could make a new car."

Robert still has the car... the coupe was 98% made in Australia... [/B]

The chassis was made here in Adelaide .

#46 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:29

Robert still has the car... the coupe was 98% made in Australia...

quote: cosworth bdg
The chassis was made here in Adelaide .

That is what I recall from the thread on 10/10ths. When the car came to Australia (1971?) there were a number of spare parts with it including a floorpan. Since the original engine was sold for financial reasons it would follow that the 'extra' parts would be sold too.

Why was the thread locked on 10/10ths?

(Sound of heavy footsteps approaching....)

#47 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:15

If I remember rightly - admitting that I don't pay much attention to Healeys - one of the two 'surviving' SRs was based upon substantially the chassis of the original, while the other used substantial parts of the original bodywork. Or at least, that's how it was once explained to me.

CAMs in their Taliban wisdom insisted upon the one running car having 'its' original 2-litre Climax V8 engine reinstalled, which due to the engine being made of unobtainium was not on.

I was behind Tom Barr-Smith's acceptance for Goodwood one year after the quick thinking and humanity which he and his son 'Darkie' displayed in extricating Ian Cox's daughter - the navigator - from her father's rolled and burning Porsche 911 during the first Classic Adelaide Rally. Their Healey was the next car upon the scene and the Barr-Smiths stopped immediately and dived into the fire. They undoubtedly saved the girl's life but - tragically - were unable to save her trapped father. Some things in life are more important than whether or not a relatively insignificant - though interesting - machine is 'real' or 'replica'.

DCN

#48 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:51

Originally posted by Doug Nye
If I remember rightly - admitting that I don't pay much attention to Healeys - one of the two 'surviving' SRs was based upon substantially the chassis of the original, while the other used substantial parts of the original bodywork. Or at least, that's how it was once explained to me.

CAMs in their Taliban wisdom insisted upon the one running car having 'its' original 2-litre Climax V8 engine reinstalled, which due to the engine being made of unobtainium was not on.

I was behind Tom Barr-Smith's acceptance for Goodwood one year after the quick thinking and humanity which he and his son 'Darkie' displayed in extricating Ian Cox's daughter - the navigator - from her father's rolled and burning Porsche 911 during the first Classic Adelaide Rally. Their Healey was the next car upon the scene and the Barr-Smiths stopped immediately and dived into the fire. They undoubtedly saved the girl's life but - tragically - were unable to save her trapped father. Some things in life are more important than whether or not a relatively insignificant - though interesting - machine is 'real' or 'replica'.

DCN

The previous thread was locked for good reason....some people in this world have money and influence enough to crush those with a genuine claim. Rob prefers to keep a low profile....he is all too cognisant of the ease with which money can turn truth into fiction.

two 'surviving' SRs...No!.

#49 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,097 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:06

[B]Roger, thanks for sending me that story... To print them it's another issue.

Ray, my apologies, I thought you may want to print it out. I could have sent the narrative only.
Roger

#50 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 16:22

Originally posted by Doug Nye

DCN

Doug, I was surprised it was your heavy footsteps I heard approaching!

My reason for starting this thread was that a friend was showing interest in the car for sale in Europe and asked me what I knew of it-I recalled the thread on 10/10ths and had never learned of a reason for it's being locked-now I have an inkling at least.

As others have mentioned, there only ever was one Healey SR-it ran at LeMans as a coupe' then as a sports racer and was sold to the Australian enthusiast in about 1971 in open configuration. That two cars exist now-one a coupe' one a sports racer is fine, so long as the coupe' is declared as a replica. That the owners (?) builders (?) performed a heroic act is irrelevant surely? I would think that a very good magazine article is waiting to be written here by one of our Antipodean members.....