Photo

The Oulton Park scoreboard

• Please log in to reply
850 replies to this topic

#51 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 21:02

Going back to Oulton landmarks, the old scrutineering shed ("bay" was too grand a word for it!)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#52 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 22:25

...and on we go with yet more priceless Oulton Park furniture, chapter 42.

Posted Image

As several mechanics tend to Richard Wills's FF2000 Delta in the foreground, note that the lavish, 1977-spec pit bar is open for business. If it is beer o'clock, however, shouldn't these people be in The Red Lion?

Posted Image

I include this not for the high drama (that's Stuart McCrudden leading and Colin Emson failing to notice there's a right-hander involved here somewhere), but because it contains two of Oulton's finest landmarks. The white lodge is partly visible, of course, but in terms of architectural magnificence it was a very poor relation to the Lodge Corner grandstand's cocktail of rusty tubes and wobbly planks.

PS to Rainford: the behemoth on wheels in post 50 looks rather like Robin Smith's March 817.

#53 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:23

The mechanic working on the Wills Delta, with his back to the ace photographer, obviously patronised the same hairdresser as the lead singer of Mungo Jerry, Ray Dorset.

The pit bar was a wonderful anachronism - hardly any room to move, and with the windows all sealed shut to prevent punters tossing their dog-ends onto a refuelling scenario taking place beneath them in the pit lane. The atmosphere in there on a hot summer's day was pungent - Ansell's bitter (IIRC), cigarette smoke and perspiration - and they even charged you admission for the bigger international meetings!

#54 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:54

That "grand"stand at Lodge was a near deathtrap. I once stood there with my Dad, a man who would put up with no nonsense where the structure of buildings was concerned, and he declared it unsafe and insisted we moved elsewhere.

Does anyone have a picture of the "grand"stand at Knicker Brook - another rather dodgy piece of Oulton architecture that was thankfully unoccupied when I saw an F3 car cartwheel into it and come to rest where spectators might have been. In fact, was it ever occupied?

#55 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:55

Originally posted by Alan Cox
The mechanic working on the Wills Delta, with his back to the ace photographer, obviously patronised the same hairdresser as the lead singer of Mungo Jerry, Ray Dorset.

Appropriate, really. The shot was taken in the summertime...

#56 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 14:03

More superb stuff chaps. Anyone notice that wonderful Austin Princess opposite the Delta. Was the owner an early TNFer....?? And is the Delta the first one ever made, other than the F4 IRF4s, quite a historic car possibly, given the many that followed over the next few years.

Did they have Ansells Bitter in there Alan, that was a Brummy brew, I'm surprised it made it up so far north. Ansells Mild was a v decent drop IIRC, only when from the cask though.

#57 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 14:10

Originally posted by Simon Arron
Appropriate, really. The shot was taken in the summertime...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
Did they have Ansells Bitter in there Alan, that was a Brummy brew, I'm surprised it made it up so far north.

Perhaps I'm confusing it with the brew offered at Mallory - It may have been M&B - I know it wasn't a local product, which was a little odd. I tended not to buy many pints in the pit bar, as The Red Lion is a Robinsons' house and is only a few hundred yards away, and very convenient for a lunchtime tipple. Some of you may remember a 1970s BBC TV series called "The Brothers", in which one of the stars took, briefly, to motor racing. One episode featured him taking part in a race at Oulton in which he "raced" Roger Orgee's FF Dulon. The cast stayed at The Red Lion, and they used to have photos of them hanging on the walls.

#58 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 14:18

M& B was part of Bass at that time, Ansells part of Allied Breweries. Both were West Mids based, and vastly inerior to other Brummy/Black Country pints like, Banks, Bathams, Hansons, Davenports, Holts etc etc.

Now that March, 817 originally I think, converted into the 827. What a monster, I remember Gordon Kirby getting into hot water for describing the, pretty similar in size, Lola T530 as 'pachydermel'.

And in the Jerry Dorsey photo, thats not Desire is it, arm in arm with that other hairy thing ?

#59 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 14:55

Originally posted by ian senior
That "grand"stand at Lodge was a near deathtrap.

Posted Image

I can't believe the structural integrity of the Lodge grandstand was ever questioned - it quite clearly provided comfortable accommodation for at least six spectators (as seen above, while Mike Wood bundles his stricken Lotus XI from the track).

The only Lodge grandstand casualty I ever saw was a guy called Dave Bradshaw, who went to school with Phil Rainford and I. Rather than get up at daft o'clock and cadge a lift with us, he cycled from Hale to Little Budworth, went straight to The Red Lion, supped a few pints and then spent his afternoon asleep behind the creaking talisman. The grandstand couldn't really be blamed for that, though.

Advertisement

#60 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 15:42

Posted Image

... while Mike Wood bundles his stricken Lotus XI from the track.

Sure it's a Lotus? Looks more like a Lola Mk1 .......... :confused:

#61 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 15:43

[B] Mike Wood bundles his stricken Lotus XI from the track

One of the few examples rebodied as a Lola Mk1 :cool:

#62 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 16:48

And in the Jerry Dorsey photo, thats not Desire is it, arm in arm with that other hairy thing ?

For once, I think I'm correct in recalling the name of Mungo Jerry's lead singer - Gerry Dorsey was later reincarnated as Englebert Humperdinck.

Here is the view you were able to get from the pit bar (if you were lucky and able to struggle through the throng to the front). Taken at a ShellSport Group 8 round in '76. Keith Holland and Ken Bailey.

Posted Image Posted Image

#63 GeoffE

GeoffE

• 152 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 17:09

For once, I think I'm correct in recalling the name of Mungo Jerry's lead singer - Gerry Dorsey was later reincarnated as Englebert Humperdinck.

The second part of that sentence is correct.

Ray Dorset was the lead singer of Mungo Jerry, whose first performance was some years after Dorsey/Humperdinck found fame.

#64 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 18:10

Originally posted by David McKinney

One of the few examples rebodied as a Lola Mk1 :cool:

The cunning swine! No wonder I did a double take! :drunk:

#65 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 18:37

Originally posted by GeoffE
The second part of that sentence is correct.

So is the first ;) In my earlier post I had said that Ray Dorset was the Mungo Jerry vocalist :lol:

#66 GeoffE

GeoffE

• 152 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 18:55

So is the first ;) In my earlier post I had said that Ray Dorset was the Mungo Jerry vocalist :lol:

Beg pardon! : I was confused by the sudden appearance in the thread of Gerry Dorsey who was better known for his bicyclettes in Belsize :drunk:

#67 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 21:06

Thought you like this winter shot of the Lodge Bar .....sorry for the quality and the fact it looks like I was standing in Chester to take it!!

Posted Image

I know nostalgia tends to cloud our judgement and "Men were Men " in our favoured era ...however unless my eyes are decieving me hasn't Vern Schuppan just been attempting to slow his Lola T332 on a racing line that is still covered in ice and snow???? :eek:

Kind regards

Phil

#68 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 22:00

Originally posted by Stephen W (and, along similar lines, by the Rt Hon McKinney)

Sure it's a Lotus? Looks more like a Lola Mk1 .......... :confused:

That's me being rubbish because I was too busy concentrating on the planks rather than the car. The only Lola Mk1 I clearly remember from that era was raced by Rupert Glydon (below), but having bothered to look more closely at my own Lodge/Mike Wood photograph (30 years on) I can see the distinct whiff of Broadley.

Posted Image

Sorry.

#69 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:06

Originally posted by Phil Rainford
Thought you like this winter shot of the Lodge Bar .....sorry for the quality and the fact it looks like I was standing in Chester to take it!!......however unless my eyes are decieving me hasn't Vern Schuppan just been attempting to slow his Lola T332 on a racing line that is still covered in ice and snow???? :eek:

Tom Belso I reckon...

#70 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:18

Posted Image

As several mechanics tend to Richard Wills's FF2000 Delta in the foreground

Good picture Simon. I reckon the chap with the hair is the Delta boss, Nick Crossley (spelling?).

Walking past in the background (on our left) is South African Kenny Gray, isn't it?

#71 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:18

Posted Image
"Well, there we were, the five of us enjoying a can of beer and a picnic and minding our own business, on the outside of Knicker Brook, when one of Oulton Park's less permanent structures leapt over the catch fence and chased us up Clay Hill..."

Another shot of Lodge Corner's much-maligned grandstand - here we see Nigel Morris vying for a seat in the front row, while Dubliner John Coffey seems to have more of a clue about the optimum racing line with his Mondiale.
Posted Image

#72 paulsenna1

paulsenna1

• 246 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:57

Another shot of Lodge Corner's much-maligned grandstand

And what about the main "grand"stand opposite the pits? But unlike the Lodge one it did have a roof although I don't ever recall sitting in it!

#73 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 15:00

Another shot of Lodge Corner's much-maligned grandstand - here we see Nigel Morris vying for a seat in the front row, while Dubliner John Coffey seems to have more of a clue about the optimum racing line with his Mondiale.
[img]http://snap36.photob...66836de4393.jpg

When it was that full no one dared cough!

:

#74 BrendanMcF

BrendanMcF

• 537 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 17:15

Tiswas star Bob Carolgees of Spit the Dog fame was a regular at the Lodge Corner Grandstand in the 80's :)

#75 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 17:39

Originally posted by BrendanMcF
Tiswas star Bob Carolgees of Spit the Dog fame was a regular at the Lodge Corner Grandstand in the 80's

I have a photo of him -minus the dog - standing on the inside of Lodge. I shall seek it out. I think he lived just outside the circuit, on the road that led to the Knicker Brook entrance.

#76 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 17:57

Totally off topic, but Bob Carolgees now runs a candle shop in Frodsham!

#77 BrendanMcF

BrendanMcF

• 537 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 18:10

Originally posted by alansart
Totally off topic, but Bob Carolgees now runs a candle shop in Frodsham!

Here it is :)

Bob's Shop

#78 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 18:39

Originally posted by MCS

I reckon the chap with the hair is the Delta boss, Nick Crossley (spelling?).

Walking past in the background (on our left) is South African Kenny Gray, isn't it?

Mark

I think you might well be right about Nick Crossley - I seem to remember that hair appearing occasionally on the MN and Autosport news pages during the early 1970s.

I was wondering about the ID of the driver strolling by in the background: Kenny Gray is a good shout. On the right, it looks as though Phil Lynott has just been to the wooden Demon Tweeks store to buy an Elf Team Tyrrell jacket.

Don't suppose you know any of those perched on the bar stairs, do you?

As for the Tom Belso/Vern Schuppan debate now raging in the slipstream of post #69, it's hard to tell because Phil appears to have been standing on a particularly wobbly Lodge plank when he took the picture (suspect I was perched next to him). Belso was in a Radio Luxembourg Lola (#208, obviously) while Schuppan's Sid Taylor entry bore #7.

Don't know whether the original blurry miracle might throw up any more clues. Over to Mr Rainford...

Cheers,
SA

#79 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:10

As for the Tom Belso/Vern Schuppan debate now raging in the slipstream of post #69, it's hard to tell because Phil appears to have been standing on a particularly wobbly Lodge plank when he took the picture (suspect I was perched next to him). Belso was in a Radio Luxembourg Lola (#208, obviously) while Schuppan's Sid Taylor entry bore #7.

Don't know whether the original blurry miracle might throw up any more clues. Over to Mr Rainford...

Even modern technology cannot make that picture clear ....however the helmet is gold with a white band.

I thought that was the colour Schuppan's helmet ...he says waiting to be shot down in flames?

Kind regards

Phil

Advertisement

#80 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:28

I think the Schuppan Lola was mainly red, whereas Belso's car was by then multi-coloured.

It was a private entry of course, not the ShellSPORT/Epstein Lola most people would remember from two years previous in 1973.

Aren't we sad?!! :blush:

#81 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 19:41

Originally posted by MCS
I think the Schuppan Lola was mainly red, whereas Belso's car was by then multi-coloured.

It was a private entry of course, not the ShellSPORT/Epstein Lola most people would remember from two years previous in 1973.

Aren't we sad?!! :blush:

The front cover of the Programme I think proves your point

Posted Image
By Phil1960

:up: Phil

#82 CHESHIRECAT65

CHESHIRECAT65

• 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:28

i remember RUPERT KEEGAN had a bad crash at LODGE CORNER,and was'nt he stuck in his ARROWS F1 car,i think in 1979? and RUSSEL SPENCE nearly ended up in the grandstand at LODGE whilst driving in the BTCC in the late 80's or early 90's.correct me if i am wrong.but i'm sure he ended up ontop of the tyre barrier and into the fencing.

#83 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:29

OTOH the ShellSport/Epstein Lolas usually had the big tall airbox didn't they? Again from memory, wasn't Nick Crossley from Brighton way, that may explain the bohemian hairstyle....

#84 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 18:23

One of the very few shots which I have of the old startline grandstand - never a great viewing opportunity.

Posted Image

#85 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 18:56

Again from memory, wasn't Nick Crossley from Brighton way, that may explain the bohemian hairstyle....

What are you trying to say, Dan?

#86 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:51

Originally posted by David Beard

What are you trying to say, Dan?

Might be a Beuttler moment? :eek:

#87 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 22:03

Here are a couple of photos of the now departed pit 'complex', with the pit bar above and the commentary box at the right-hand end - Also, some small excuse to depict 'Penny-farthing' (or, more correctly, 'Ordinaries') racing at the Cheshire circuit.

#88 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:19

Posted Image
The Pit Lane in 1987 during the British Sprint Championship meeting.

Posted Image
The start line with Jack Elliott in a 1973 CTG Clubmans car just setting off.

#89 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 13:30

Posted this on the wrong thread yesterday

Posted Image

A familiar site on a Saturday at Oulton...John Webb taking off between Cascades and Island bend

Kind regards

Phil

#90 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 17:45

Originally posted by Phil Rainford
Posted this on the wrong thread yesterday

Posted Image

A familiar site on a Saturday at Oulton...John Webb taking off between Cascades and Island bend

Kind regards

Phil

What else was in this race? :eek:

#91 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 17:49

Looks like historic GTs in the distance. Ted Williams March 707 going onto the Fosters link. Therefore 1982-83?

#92 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 17:51

One of the very few shots which I have of the old startline grandstand - never a great viewing opportunity.

Posted Image

A rare shot in colour of Graham Goode's 997 Anglia too Alan. Therefore taken in '73?

#93 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 19:38

The pitlane viewing area in the 80's and a few Formula Fords :)

Posted Image

The bridge is still there and the starter gets a nice new aerial view.

#94 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 23:03

Reference Phil Rainford's photo of John Webb's aircraft taking off: If the race was on the Foster's circuit, what were photographer Phil, and those other guys on the right of the photo, doing out on the Island loop?

#95 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:06

Reference Phil Rainford's photo of John Webb's aircraft taking off: If the race was on the Foster's circuit, what were photographer Phil, and those other guys on the right of the photo, doing out on the Island loop?

Believe it or not I think you might both be right....the race was without doubt for Historic GTs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#96 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:14

.......and to finish.

Although the race was without doubt on the hairpin layout as the pictures prove. If I remember correctly they let the cars warm up on the Fosters layout while the plane took off.

Kind regards

Phil

#97 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:22

Follow the above link to find a 1960s home movie about Baitings Dam Hillclimb & Oulton Park.

:wave:

#98 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:25

Love the shots of Lodge and the picnic looks delicious !! :up:

Kind regards

Phil

#99 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 23:00

Up until the 70s, there was an old wartime buiding at the top of Clay Hill, on the right as you crest the hill. From the roof, one got a different point of view of proceedings, but it was in my early days with a camera and I didn't venture up there frequently enough. The first shot shows a Lada (or is it a Fiat?) turning infield, around the building, on an RAC Rally special stage; the second one is the view towards Druids.

And from the roof, occasionally you could see people making a right Horlicks of it...
Posted Image

Edited by Alan Cox, 16 May 2013 - 12:33.

Advertisement

#100 Edington Mains

Edington Mains

• 70 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:13

More on You Tube..... i know theres a thread elsewhere for this, but it has two of my loves.... Oulton and Jim Clark.. with some good on board..