The Oulton Park scoreboard

• Please log in to reply
850 replies to this topic

#101 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:12

Originally posted by Edington Mains
More on You Tube..... i know theres a thread elsewhere for this, but it has two of my loves.... Oulton and Jim Clark.. with some good on board..

Great footage, the trees flashing past :eek: the maestro in action :up:

Advertisement

#102 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,846 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:45

Posted Image

Bill Wilks Lotus 16 with the Paddock Buildings behind - 1968

#103 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 18:28

A couple more cracking viewing points at Oulton:

The rise at Deer Leap

Posted Image

The Dunlop Bridge at Clay Hill ........watch out for Druids!!

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#104 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 23:09

Here is someone who will be recognised by many Oulton habitués - for many years he was as permanent a fixture in the pit lane as the Dunlop bridge was at Hill Top, in his role as fire marshal. He had acquired one of the foil-covered suits, first used in the sixties, and continued to use it well into the eighties when this pic was taken. He name is Dave Williams, and I believe he still officiates at the circuit. I think that the photographer at the front of Tim Lee-Davey's Tiga is Keith Sutton's youger brother, Mark.

Posted Image

Originally posted by BrendanMcF
Tiswas star Bob Carolgees of Spit the Dog fame was a regular at the Lodge Corner Grandstand in the 80's

Posted Image

#105 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 347 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 13:57

David Williams is now a clerk of the course (minus silver suit) with BARC North West.

#106 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 14:45

Inhabitants of the Oulton Park media room used to refer to him, affectionately, as Bacofoil...

#107 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 14:57

Originally posted by Auroraf1
David Williams is now a clerk of the course (minus silver suit) with BARC North West.

The silver suit sometimes was replaced with a race suit .....although the Silver Helmet was always retained

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#108 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 21:28

Phil Rainford has reminded me of another permanent fixture of Oulton in the 70s and 80s in the shape of Rex Dillon. Rex was an avid lap scorer and amateur timekeeper who, along with fellow lap scoring enthusiast Michael Clark, occupied the corner desk in the press box to time and chart every race. Rex kept times for a number of race teams who didn't have their own lap charter, as a result of which he acquired a phenomenal collection of woven team badges which he attached to his jacket, which became even more famous than Rex himself. His finest hour would come when the official timekeepers would consult with him over some disputed timing, and he would be really chuffed when his (hand-held) timings matched the official results. A great character, and much missed. This is the only picture I have of him, and he himself liked it.

Posted Image

#109 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 22:01

I notice the 'Formula Services' badge on his jacket sleeve. I did a number of paintings for Val & Rob Adaway of Formula Services at the time, which they presented to various competitors as awards. Alansart will no doubt remember Val well from his Silverstone marshalling days. I still bump into them occasionally around the circuits.

#110 alansart

alansart

• 4,057 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:23

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Phil Rainford has reminded me of another permanent fixture of Oulton in the 70s and 80s in the shape of Rex Dillon. Rex was an avid lap scorer and amateur timekeeper who, along with fellow lap scoring enthusiast Michael Clark, occupied the corner desk in the press box to time and chart every race. Rex kept times for a number of race teams who didn't have their own lap charter, as a result of which he acquired a phenomenal collection of woven team badges which he attached to his jacket, which became even more famous than Rex himself. His finest hour would come when the official timekeepers would consult with him over some disputed timing, and he would be really chuffed when his (hand-held) timings matched the official results. A great character, and much missed. This is the only picture I have of him, and he himself liked it.

Posted Image

That jacket is unforgettable! I never knew what he did but he seemed to be at every Oulton meeting. Now I know :)

#111 alansart

alansart

• 4,057 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:32

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
I notice the 'Formula Services' badge on his jacket sleeve. I did a number of paintings for Val & Rob Adaway of Formula Services at the time, which they presented to various competitors as awards. Alansart will no doubt remember Val well from his Silverstone marshalling days. I still bump into them occasionally around the circuits.

I certainly remember the Adaways. Good days. We lost touch when I became northern based and finally when I packed up racing and stayed away from the circuits.

#112 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:12

Phil Rainford has reminded me of another permanent fixture of Oulton in the 70s and 80s in the shape of Rex Dillon.

French weekly AutoHebdo once published a half-page picture of Rex plus jacket - taken at Silverstone circa 1985/86, I think - under the headline 'Colonne Morris' (not directly translatable, as such, but it's one of those pillar-shaped advertising billboards you find in all French cities). He was chuffed to bits. I no longer have the magazine because I gave it to him as a memento. I still have contacts there, though, and might see if they can find me a back issue.

A great bloke, Rex - one of the very best things about the Oulton press box, in many ways.

#113 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:29

Was it this photo Simon? From the 'Silverstone 40 Years' book.
Posted Image

#114 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,846 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:40

Posted Image

I was convinced that the only thing keeping that jacket in one piece were all the badges! Rex was an unforgettable part of Oulton's past.

#115 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:56

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Was it this photo Simon? From the 'Silverstone 40 Years' book.

It might have been, but I'm fairly sure it showed the great man standing up (and looking very much like, well, a Colonne Morris) rather than simultaneously timing 34 Renault 5 GT Turbos with one manual stopwatch, as was his wont.

#116 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 13:31

Rex Dillon ………one of life’s true characters. :up:

If it was raining at Oulton, I would often spend time with him and Michael in the Press box and it wouldn’t be long before a mug of steaming coffee and a sandwich was placed in front of me

Rex actually started his motor racing career in karting; he brought a selection of pictures to Oulton one afternoon. We all had a laugh as his racing overalls were completely bereft of any badges!! However a serious injury at Longridge put paid to any further participation, so that is when Rex took up his timekeeping.

In the 1980s I used to meet Rex at Knutsford Services and give him a lift to Mallory Park or Silverstone. He loved Mallory Park as he could virtually see all the circuit from the Press Box. However Silverstone provided my lasting memory of Rex, he was attempting to lap chart the famous ETC (TT) race, when half the field were caught out on slicks in the rain and approached Woodcote backwards. In the ensuring mayhem, cars limped into the pits to retire, to be repaired, change drivers etc. Even Rex’s foolproof lap charting method failed and I remember the clipboard disappearing about five rows back into the grandstand in frustration!!

The jacket is legendary and I think there were a number of versions. The first time I saw it was in the Red Lion at Little Budworth, Mr Arron and I even stopped playing the fruit machine for 30 seconds to view the Work of Art……….that and the fact that Rex had walked in the pub with Jim Crawford.

Kind regards

Phil

#117 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 22:46

It has been good to read the memories of other TNFers. Like Phil, I remember Rex being frustrated when his lap-charting went awry at one of the Stewart Wrightson 4-hour relays, which involved multifarious pit stops and driver changes. Again he threw up his arms in disgust, sending his writing implements to all corners of the press box and displaying most uncharacteristic tetchiness for the rest of the meeting, annoyed with himself for failing to complete the task. He really was a rare gent, able to appreciate jokes told against himself, unfailingly cheerful, universally liked and about whom no-one had a bad word to say - a very rare thing.

There was certainly more than one jacket. I remember his collection of badges outgrowing the first one, so a longer coat was invested in to allow even more examples to be displayed. I think he got his mother (who must have been a fair age by then) to unpick and restitch them on the new garment.

IIRC, his karting career ended when his kart collided with the Longridge ambulance.

#118 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:37

While we are on the subject of characters at Oulton:

Do you recall the gentleman on the far right of this shot?

Posted Image

I am 99% sure his fist name was Dave and in all the years I was taking photos and reporting at Oulton he was a permanent fixture an the Marshall's Post on the inside of Lodge. He was actually a Medic but often he was the first on the scene of an incident.

As you can tell from the picture he was not a small chap,if he told a driver that his car was not going anywhere and the driver disagreed .....I remember the driver often found himself sitting the other side of the Armco without his feet having touched the ground!! :drunk:

I don't know what the Chevron is doing heading the wrong way round Lodge....probably had enough of the Thundersports race and is off for a pint at the Red Lion or some Saturday afternoon shopping in Chester ;)

Kind regards

Phil

#119 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:48

Phil, I think the S2000 is actually a March, maybe the Bridge bros 84S?

Advertisement

#120 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 13:35

I believe Phil's refering to #52...

#121 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,846 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 13:38

Originally posted by Phil Rainford
While we are on the subject of characters at Oulton:

Do you recall the gentleman on the far right of this shot?

Posted Image

I am 99% sure his fist name was Dave and in all the years I was taking photos and reporting at Oulton he was a permanent fixture an the Marshall's Post on the inside of Lodge. He was actually a Medic but often he was the first on the scene of an incident.

As you can tell from the picture he was not a small chap,if he told a driver that his car was not going anywhere and the driver disagreed .....I remember the driver often found himself sitting the other side of the Armco without his feet having touched the ground!! :drunk:

I don't know what the Chevron is doing heading the wrong way round Lodge....probably had enough of the Thundersports race and is off for a pint at the Red Lion or some Saturday afternoon shopping in Chester ;)

Kind regards

Phil

I seem to remember an incident in a FF race where two cars collided at Lodge; one driver managed to keep going but the guy who was sidelined removed his crash helemt and tried to throw it at the other driver when he came round. I am pretty sure he ended up with Dave sat on him until he calmed down!

#122 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 18:42

His name is Dave Morgan, and he was a proud member of the Red Cross. He got most upset if you referred to him as being part of St John Ambulance. I recall him telling us that his medic colleagues were posted to different marshals' posts in rotation but, as he preferred Lodge and was bigger than anyone else, he stayed put and was never moved. He was a first-aid trainer at the Red Cross Winsford branch. Another die-hard enthusiast without whom the sport generally, and Oulton Park in particular, would have been much poorer.

#123 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 18:43

Flicking through some pictures.. I chanced upon this Formula E shot taken from the outside of Old Hall

Posted Image

If you cast your eyes to the top of the picture you will see at the end of the pits a young man in a wheelchair. This young gentleman was at virtually every Oulton meeting in the mid -1980s. The Circuit authorities allowed him and a member of his family to watch the racing from this viewpoint.

I remember the Champion of Oulton FF1600 races were his favourite and on one occasion Oulton making a presentation to him …..John “Butcher” Booth made the presentation on behalf of the circuit.

A young man who certainly showed a passion for Motor Racing and Oulton Park :up:

Kind regards

Phil

#124 alansart

alansart

• 4,057 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 18:47

Flicking through some pictures.. I chanced upon this Formula E shot taken from the outside of Old Hall

Posted Image

If you cast your eyes to the top of the picture you will see at the end of the pits a young man in a wheelchair. This young gentleman was at virtually every Oulton meeting in the mid -1980s. The Circuit authorities allowed him and a member of his family to watch the racing from this viewpoint.

I remember the Champion of Oulton FF1600 races were his favourite and on one occasion Oulton making a presentation to him …..John “Butcher” Booth made the presentation on behalf of the circuit.

A young man who certainly showed a passion for Motor Racing and Oulton Park :up:

Kind regards

Phil

I remember him always being there. Does anyone know who he was?

The car by the way is Ian Slaters PRS RH02

#125 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 18:58

I regret that I never knew his name, but I'm sure the seasoned Oulton marshalls will. I think he suffers from cerebral palsy, and it was his mother who was always with him. I did spot the pair of them at last year's Gold Cup meeting, in the paddock - I suspect that "Health and Safety" no longer permits him to get a bit closer to the action.

#126 paulsenna1

paulsenna1

• 246 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 21:47

I seem to remember he was given a ride around the track in Frank Bradley's Countach one time. The joy shown on his face was a treasure to see.

#127 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:16

Posted Image

It's Neville Hay with the microphone, but how many of you recognise the chap on the left?

#128 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:37

Posted Image

It's Neville Hay with the microphone, but how many of you recognise the chap on the left?

Rex Foster?

#129 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,261 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:09

Back to the scoreboard-sized Dave Morgan, medically trained denizen of Lodge Corner. Here, I believe he is pictured towering above his fellow volunteers as marshals deal with the mess Geoff Cross has left behind while parking a trifle carelessly... Remember the days when the Lodge run-off area was little more than the width of a Mini?
Posted Image

#130 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:29

Originally posted by Simon Arron

Rex Foster?

Well at least one of you knows who he is. Rex was involved with Oulton Park from its very early days, and was long-time manager at the circuit. When I worked in Tarporley, and regularly lunched at The Rising Sun (Note: Another excellent Robinsons house), Rex would often be at the bar with, IIRC, a pink gin (must have been a Navy man) and he was always happy to chat with a youngster like me.

Originally posted by Simon Arron
Back to the scoreboard-sized Dave Morgan, medically trained denizen of Lodge Corner. Here, I believe he is pictured towering above his fellow volunteers as marshals deal with the mess Geoff Cross has left behind while parking a trifle carelessly...

The marshal with the deer-stalker hat, standing in front of the Mini, is John Watt, yet another long-serving member of Oulton's 'faithful', and who is ace photographer Jeff Bloxham's father-in-law.

#131 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 347 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 16:16

The young man in the wheel chair is called David. You can still find him at every Oulton meeting, under a little green tent pitched for him by the marshals at the end of the pit lane.

I remeber Gerry Marshal taking him for a victory lap in a Dolomite.

He is a very bright man who has written some very good articles about motor racing, I will endeavour to find them for the next TNF.

#132 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 17:21

The young man in the wheel chair is called David. You can still find him at every Oulton meeting, under a little green tent pitched for him by the marshals at the end of the pit lane.

He is a very bright man who has written some very good articles about motor racing, I will endeavour to find them for the next TNF.

Great news to hear David is still attending every Oulton meeting ....... I look forward to reading his articles :up:

Kind regards

Phil

#133 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 19:44

Bring him here!

#134 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,846 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:13

Originally posted by fines

Bring him here!

Or to one of the TNF North West meetings at the Smoker!

:wave:

#135 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:45

A minor thread detour - but can any TNF/Oulton old-timers confirm my (possibly faulty :confused: ) memory. Wasn't the main entrance to the inner circuit and paddock a war-time Bailey bridge?

#136 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:58

Yes, the one Cyd Williams hit testing Frank Williams' F1 March.

#137 MCS

MCS

• 3,574 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 13:46

Originally posted by roger ellis
A minor thread detour - but can any TNF/Oulton old-timers confirm my (possibly faulty :confused: ) memory. Wasn't the main entrance to the inner circuit and paddock a war-time Bailey bridge?

Isn't it still there ??

#138 alansart

alansart

• 4,057 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 14:40

Originally posted by MCS

Isn't it still there ??

Well something is there in the same place, but it appears to have tarmac on it.

#139 alansart

alansart

• 4,057 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 14:56

I knew there was originally a grandstand opposite the pits, but what's the tower behind. Commentary, TV?

Posted Image

It's well before my time.

Incidently, this comes from the BTCC site. They have posted 50 years of photos from the BTCC, some of which are excellent.

http://www.btcc.net in the fans section (not that I'm a fan of the BTCC!).

You have to register, but it's well worth a look.

Advertisement

#140 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 18:40

Originally posted by MCS
Isn't it still there ??

As Alan says, the main infield access is via a bridge over the circuit between Druids and Lodge (as previously), but it is a modern permanent structure nowadays.

The structure shown in Alan's last post is the commentary box and camera tower erected for the BBC when they broadcast meetings. You can probably make out the cameraman on the roof.

#141 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 19:11

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alan Cox
[B]
As Alan says, the main infield access is via a bridge over the circuit between Druids and Lodge (as previously), but it is a modern permanent structure nowadays.

The structure is of course now known as "The Paul Warwick Bridge"

Kind regards

Phil

#142 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:50

Posted Image
Another picture of David Williams and the amazing 'Bacofoil' suit.

#143 CHESHIRECAT65

CHESHIRECAT65

• 26 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 21:38

Rex Dillon ………one of life’s true characters. :up:

If it was raining at Oulton, I would often spend time with him and Michael in the Press box and it wouldn’t be long before a mug of steaming coffee and a sandwich was placed in front of me

Rex actually started his motor racing career in karting; he brought a selection of pictures to Oulton one afternoon. We all had a laugh as his racing overalls were completely bereft of any badges!! However a serious injury at Longridge put paid to any further participation, so that is when Rex took up his timekeeping.

In the 1980s I used to meet Rex at Knutsford Services and give him a lift to Mallory Park or Silverstone. He loved Mallory Park as he could virtually see all the circuit from the Press Box. However Silverstone provided my lasting memory of Rex, he was attempting to lap chart the famous ETC (TT) race, when half the field were caught out on slicks in the rain and approached Woodcote backwards. In the ensuring mayhem, cars limped into the pits to retire, to be repaired, change drivers etc. Even Rex’s foolproof lap charting method failed and I remember the clipboard disappearing about five rows back into the grandstand in frustration!!

The jacket is legendary and I think there were a number of versions. The first time I saw it was in the Red Lion at Little Budworth, Mr Arron and I even stopped playing the fruit machine for 30 seconds to view the Work of Art……….that and the fact that Rex had walked in the pub with Jim Crawford.

Kind regards

Phil

correct me if i am wrong,but i also seem to recall he lived in between middlewich and winsford.i met him alot,at the end of most race meetings at oulton park,and i thought he was a likeable chap.fascinating patches on that jacket too!qutie jealous of the ultramar patch on the back! i am sure that his death was mentioned in AUTOSPORT magazine too.much missed bloke!

#144 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,752 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 22:39

I was a rare visitor to the start-line grandstand, even before the days when I could obtain a track pass, but if ever one took a seat there, this is the view - I bet they wish they could attract crowds like this to a club meeting today!

Posted Image

#145 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 22:59

Might seem strange to post a picture from Mallory Park on this thread,however it shows another character from Oulton's past George Cook.

I remember George being from Lymm and always displaying a friendly manner keen to find time for a chat.I seemed to recall by the 1980s he held some fairly senior positions within the organising Clubs at Oulton.

While with the advent of the BRSCC/108 Car Club Challenge he was able to illustrate what a quick driver he was too.....

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#146 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 23:00

Might seem strange to post a picture from Mallory Park on this thread,however it shows another character from Oulton's past George Cook.

I remember George being from Lymm and always displaying a friendly manner keen to find time for a chat.I seemed to recall by the 1980s he held some fairly senior positions within the organising Clubs at Oulton.

While with the advent of the BRSCC/108 Car Club Challenge he was able to illustrate what a quick driver he was too.....

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

Driven like a rallyman! Good shot ! I wish I managed to see some of these races :up:

#147 MikeM

MikeM

• 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:30

Hi, I'm new to TNF but have been reading it for some time. I've spectated, marshalled and competed for many years at Oulton and elsewhere. I'm really enjoying the memories this thread has raised.

That's a super picture of George Cook. It's of real interest to me as I used to own this car.

When George died it passed to his son Kevin who rallied it for a couple of years before selling to Ian Burrell who was the Marshals rally secretary. I navigated for him on rallies and shared at various sprints. I then bought it off him and competed for another four years. It had been a fine car but was a bit tired by the time I got it. I eventually sold it to the Squires brothers.

It was always affectionately known as the Panda car because it had been rebuilt around a Panda car shell and still had the roof fittings for the blue light.

Mike Mullins

#148 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,846 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 14:00

Originally posted by MikeM
Hi, I'm new to TNF but have been reading it for some time. I've spectated, marshalled and competed for many years at Oulton and elsewhere. I'm really enjoying the memories this thread has raised.

That's a super picture of George Cook. It's of real interest to me as I used to own this car.

When George died it passed to his son Kevin who rallied it for a couple of years before selling to Ian Burrell who was the Marshals rally secretary. I navigated for him on rallies and shared at various sprints. I then bought it off him and competed for another four years. It had been a fine car but was a bit tired by the time I got it. I eventually sold it to the Squires brothers.

It was always affectionately known as the Panda car because it had been rebuilt around a Panda car shell and still had the roof fittings for the blue light.

Mike Mullins

Welcome aboard Mike, still running an FF1600?

:wave:

#149 MikeM

MikeM

• 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 15:03

Hello Steve - Yes I am, the blue/white Van Diemen RF86 you've taken plenty of photo's of! I do the North West FF championship at Oulton and Anglesey. Incidentally, my old Quest is still around having changed hands last year.

Mike

#150 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 14:57

Originally posted by alansart

Incidently, this comes from the BTCC site. They have posted 50 years of photos from the BTCC, some of which are excellent.

http://www.btcc.net in the fans section (not that I'm a fan of the BTCC!).

You have to register, but it's well worth a look.

Off Topic I know but what a bad selection of photos compared to what there could have been!!

I managed to find some good Oulton photos last night, will scan tonight and post ASAP.