Photo

The Oulton Park scoreboard

• Please log in to reply
850 replies to this topic

#151 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 21:42

I'm new to this site, and stumbled upon it looking out for info on the demise of one of my heroes, Tony Dean.
I once as a race assistant at Oulton, aged about 15 years, got seconded to the scoreboard, and couldn't believe the downward views available to me!
I was always amazed to observe Gerry Marshall & Tony Lanfranchi downing 3 or 4 pints at lunchtime between practice & racetime! All seemed quite reasonable at the time!

Advertisement

#152 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 21:57

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. I can't vouch for Tony but I can for my late Dad and a recent(ish) Motorsport News article; my Dad never drunk full pints before a race, whatever any of you out there might think.

Yes, he might have been in the bar chatting to others and maybe having a shandy, but he never drunk "drunk" before a race, that's a huge falicy.

#153 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 22:30

Fair do's Gregor: I was too young to know the difference! Maybe it was a bit of bravado or showmanship. It could have been Dandelion & Burdock for all I know, as I was too young to drink, or to know the difference! I never saw your father other than sober, even after racing. He was my and everyone's hero, even in those long lost days.

#154 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 23:00

In tribute, was it not Robin Herd who said if only they could have fitted Gerry into an F1 March? I always wondered why they didn't as I saw him in a Formula Ford! For car control, he was as close to Jim Clark as I've ever seen.

#155 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:10

Originally posted by Giraffe
Fair do's Gregor: I was too young to know the difference! Maybe it was a bit of bravado or showmanship. It could have been Dandelion & Burdock for all I know, as I was too young to drink, or to know the difference! I never saw your father other than sober, even after racing. He was my and everyone's hero, even in those long lost days.

Sorry, it’s just something that is often said and is not strictly true. Dad was the first to admit he had drunk beforehand when he was starting out in the early 1960s but he quickly realised it made him slower so he stopped but the “myth” carried on. Obviously after racing he drank more than his fair share, too much so at times!! Thanks for the comment, my hero too and sorely missed.

In tribute, was it not Robin Herd who said if only they could have fitted Gerry into an F1 March? I always wondered why they didn't as I saw him in a Formula Ford! For car control, he was as close to Jim Clark as I've ever seen.

I’m not sure as I have heard various versions and the one Dad told me was that Colin Chapman said “If Gerry Marshall had the body of Nelson Piquet he’d be World Champion”, so I’m not sure. He was offered a couple of F5000 tests but after John Wingfield’s passing and the stories from Tony L I think “modern” single-seaters (other then the Lotus 61) just weren’t appealing. He did love the Grand Prix Aston Martin DBR4 he raced, the BRM he demo’d and several other single seaters he squeezed into and even owned a Brabham F1 car at one time.

#156 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 16:32

I remember being in the Pitlane Bar upstairs at Oulton at lunchbreak in about 1968, I think, and seeing Gerry with Tony Lanfranchi & Jean Denton: they always seemed to be together. I was surprised to see them in there, but was more concerned about being thrown out myself as a 14 year old Race Assistant! (I was there due to my mentor, Bob Downey, a long time Observer).
Now Gerry paled into insignificance compared to some of Tony's antics: I remember seeing him doing a lap of Oulton in an F3 car with an aerofoil attached to his helmet!!!!

#157 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 21:48

Posted Image

I meant to post this photo earlier; probably my favourite photo of Dad. When the race finished and he had won he stopped on the main straight and pulled me into the car for the lap of honour. Silver Dream Racer was never differant from this piicture the whole way round (I was 10, in shorts and still have have the scars on my legs but worrth it all the way!!).

#158 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 23:10

How old are you Gregor, and what do you do in life? When did you get to see your dad race first? Bloody hell, he was racing when I was in short pants, and I'm nearly 54!
Incidentally, I was marshalling at Cascades the day your dad was involved in the total Formula Ford pileup at Old Hall at Oulton. The first lap there with the FF's used to scare me, but suddenly there was silence!
I've seen a photo of your dad sitting in what looks like the middle of a scrapyard!

#159 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 23:23

How old are you Gregor, and what do you do in life? When did you get to see your dad race first? Bloody hell, he was racing when I was in short pants, and I'm nearly 54!
Incidentally, I was marshalling at Cascades the day your dad was involved in the total Formula Ford pileup at Old Hall at Oulton. The first lap there with the FF's used to scare me, but suddenly there was silence!
I've seen a photo of your dad sitting in what looks like the middle of a scrapyard!

Just showing the white of the old gatehouse and I never knew Dad raced FF at Oulton (see the '69 Formula Ford Thread!!).

I've got six FF races of my Dad and none at OP, so anyone else who competed there and/who has mentioned it if you've got some please shout!!

Advertisement

#160 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 23:31

I'll check my programme archives, and try to give you some info. I may have the pile-up pic: I suspect it was his only FF venture at Oulton.

#161 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:49

It's suddenly come to me that the pic of Gerry sitting in the big pile up at Oulton's Old Hall, featured in that year's Autocourse when it had a small junior formula section at the back. I may be wrong, but I'm out of station right now, and will look it up upon my return.

#162 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:07

It's suddenly come to me that the pic of Gerry sitting in the big pile up at Oulton's Old Hall, featured in that year's Autocourse when it had a small junior formula section at the back. I may be wrong, but I'm out of station right now, and will look it up upon my return.

That would be great, thanks. I'll see if I can find a copy of Autocourse 1969 too, sounds like a great picture.

#163 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:14

Amazon £250; think I'll see await the picture from you and see how good it it before I spend that much!!

#164 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:10

Wow! I bought mine new at the time, probably £2 17s 6d or something like! I'm really not sure it's in there, but something is bugging me.... I'll get back to you on it.

#165 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:18

Wow! I bought mine new at the time, probably £2 17s 6d or something like! I'm really not sure it's in there, but something is bugging me.... I'll get back to you on it.

Ok, thanks. In case you haven't seen the Formula Ford thread this is the link http://forums.autosp...&threadid=99173

Try not to laugh at the spaceman type helmet in the 3rd picture I posted!!

#166 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:24

They were pretty common at the time; some drivers preferred them, Natalie Goodwin in F3 being one; (probably protected her make-up!) In the book, "How to run a motor race", Graham Hill is pictured in one with a water dispersing propellor on it!

#167 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:06

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
Amazon £250; think I'll see await the picture from you and see how good it it before I spend that much!!

Check your PMs Gregor (copyright :| )
Rob

#168 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:09

Thanks Rob, recieved and enjoyed.

#169 alansart

alansart

• 4,014 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:31

They were pretty common at the time; some drivers preferred them, Natalie Goodwin in F3 being one; (probably protected her make-up!) In the book, "How to run a motor race", Graham Hill is pictured in one with a water dispersing propellor on it!

I seem to remember Colin Vandervell wearing a bubble helmet as well.

The propeller, I think, came from karting. Phil Margerison (an ex karter) used to use one when we raced Formula Ford in the 80's. It was supposed to be very effective.

#170 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 14:39

Originally posted by alansart

I seem to remember Colin Vandervell wearing a bubble helmet as well.

The propeller, I think, came from karting. Phil Margerison (an ex karter) used to use one when we raced Formula Ford in the 80's. It was supposed to be very effective.

And here is the proof: from a combined Kart/Car Meeting at Oulton 23rd March 1985:

Posted Image

Last year's ... 1984 British GP winner Mike Doble ( 250 National )

Posted Image

Roger Goff ( 250 International )

Posted Image

Peter McCallum ( 250 International )

Names from the Programme I recognise Kurt Luby, Ian Shaw, Ray Grimes, and Richard Dean

Kind regards

Phil

#171 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 14:46

Same as Graham Hill! Some scanning & posting to be done when I get home next week!

#172 alansart

alansart

• 4,014 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 14:52

Originally posted by Phil Rainford

And here is the proof: from a combined Kart/Car Meeting at Oulton 23rd March 1985:

Posted Image

Last year's ... 1984 British GP winner Mike Doble ( 250 National )

Posted Image

Roger Goff ( 250 International )

Posted Image

Peter McCallum ( 250 International )

Names from the Programme I recognise Kurt Luby, Ian Shaw, Ray Grimes, and Richard Dean

Kind regards

Phil

How often did they race karts around Oulton?

There were two Ian Shaw's. A karter from Manchester and another from the Donington area who was a quick Formula Ford driver in the early 80's.

#173 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 22:49

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
Posted Image

I meant to post this photo earlier; probably my favourite photo of Dad. When the race finished and he had won he stopped on the main straight and pulled me into the car for the lap of honour. Silver Dream Racer was never differant from this piicture the whole way round (I was 10, in shorts and still have have the scars on my legs but worrth it all the way!!).

Gregor I don't know if your Dad was about to offer me a lift in this shot .......... I didn't hang around to find out!!

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#174 Lotus 45

Lotus 45

• 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 13:38

Hello All,

If you're looking for pictures from Oulton Park in the 1960s / 1970s, may I invite you to have a look at :

[URL=http://www.petermcfadyen.co.uk/URL]

(Not absolutely sure I've got the URL thingy correct but . . .

Peter

#175 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,682 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 13:40

I think this is the link you want, Peter

http://www.petermcfadyen.co.uk/

There is some lovely stuff here, folks. Especially some of the F5000 shots.

#176 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 13:49

Originally posted by alansart

How often did they race karts around Oulton?

At least once a year at one time. I did, on the Foster's circuit in 77.

#177 delboy59

delboy59

• 99 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 14:20

Flicking through some pictures.. I chanced upon this Formula E shot taken from the outside of Old Hall

Posted Image

If you cast your eyes to the top of the picture you will see at the end of the pits a young man in a wheelchair. This young gentleman was at virtually every Oulton meeting in the mid -1980s. The Circuit authorities allowed him and a member of his family to watch the racing from this viewpoint.

I remember the Champion of Oulton FF1600 races were his favourite and on one occasion Oulton making a presentation to him …..John “Butcher” Booth made the presentation on behalf of the circuit.

A young man who certainly showed a passion for Motor Racing and Oulton Park :up:

Kind regards

Phil

In case it hasn't been answered already this is Dave Williams who still goes to OP and sits with his Mum at Old Hall for most meetings.

Regards

D

#178 delboy59

delboy59

• 99 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 14:21

Originally posted by Simon Arron

Rex Foster?

That's the man!

#179 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 16:03

Originally posted by Alan Cox

Totally agree with Alan...the memories come flooding back.

It is the FF1600 shots of the mid 1970s that do it for me !! :clap:

Kind regards

Phil

Advertisement

#180 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 17:34

Totally agree with Alan...the memories come flooding back. It is the FF1600 shots of the mid 1970s that do it for me !! :clap:

Kind regards

Phil

If you have nothing planned for this evening, pour yourself a shot of malt, settle into a comfy chair, log on to Peter's site and enjoy.

If you do have something planned this evening, cancel it and follow the instructions as above.

Wonderful, in a word.

#181 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 17:56

Blimy, I did and found myself lurking, partially obscured by Bev Bond raising the the British Empire Trophy in 1970! I wonder where else I might be hiding!!!

#182 MCS

MCS

• 3,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 20:09

Originally posted by Simon Arron

If you have nothing planned for this evening, pour yourself a shot of malt, settle into a comfy chair, log on to Peter's site and enjoy.

If you do have something planned this evening, cancel it and follow the instructions as above.

Wonderful, in a word.

Whoa!!!!!

FANTASTIC - what a website. Well done Peter. :clap:

#183 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 20:19

Great site, super photos, the '60's are the area of my interest, especially the lovely B8's, T70's and the Formula cars, I pity the poor mechanic working on the H-16 :eek:

#184 Lotus 45

Lotus 45

• 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 20:26

Thanks Alan. I'm still learning about working with TNF - as must be obvious.

Thanks also to Mark and Simon for your very generous comments - VERY much appreciated.

The web site is pretty new, as must be apparent, but I've had such a positive response from TNFers already, so can I assume that it might be worth adding a few more Oulton pics? There are many more where the others came from - but perhaps this isn't how it's supposed to work on TNF - I just can't see posting so many photographs any other way!

If anyone is looking for anything specific - up to 1983 - it would be my pleasure to search my so-called "archive" to try to find it. It's great to be able to share some of this stuff with people who appreciate it - and who know more about it than I do.

Peter

#185 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 20:46

Hi Peter,
I'm the chap who e-mailed you wanting to buy the Bev Bond pic, with me in the background. ( I'll get back to you on that). I've got your book, but didn't notice myself until I looked at the site!
Your work is assuming legendary status, & never having met you personally,after watching you in action for 40 years, I somehow feel as though I know you, even though I patently don't!
Don't just continue the good work, take it to new heights!

Rgds,

Tony Gallagher. (Giraffe)>

#186 Lotus 45

Lotus 45

• 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 21:09

Hi Peter,
I'm the chap who e-mailed you wanting to buy the Bev Bond pic, with me in the background. ( I'll get back to you on that). I've got your book, but didn't notice myself until I looked at the site!
Your work is assuming legendary status, & never having met you personally,after watching you in action for 40 years, I somehow feel as though I know you, even though I patently don't!
Don't just continue the good work, take it to new heights!

Rgds,

Tony Gallagher. (Giraffe)>

Tony,

Great to meet after all these years! And thank you.

Peter

#187 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 21:43

I still keep the programme from that day, signed by winner, Bev Bond, one James Hunt (23 years old), and my alltime Oulton hero (after Derek Walker of course!), Cyd Williams, ( who finished 1/2/3).
I have some great (amateur) shots from that day (that got bounced by Motor Sport for "I was there" a few years back), including the start of heat 2 from the back of the grid! (That I got bollocked for taking!)

#188 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:01

Another from Oulton, "Old Nail" in late '71 or early '72.

Posted Image

#189 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,713 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:20

Posted Image

David Hobbs in the Bernard White BRM P201 V12 3 litre passes the pits area - Gold Cup 1968

#190 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,010 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:25

Great shot, Gregor! Do you get to drive Old Nail, or do you just store it?

#191 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 13:04

Great shot, Gregor! Do you get to drive Old Nail, or do you just store it?

Thanks. I'm not sure if the Donington Collection would like to be called just a storage place but I know what you mean. :lol: Old Nail went to Donington 3/4 weeks ago and is now on display in the first hall that you enter and Dad's trophies will be going on display very shortly.

Posted Image

At the moment Old Nail is static but when I have the money I will get her going again, no competitive stuff though but would be great to have her moving under he own steam. I don't think the "brand new" engine she was given in '76 has has done over 100 miles since Dad last used her in anger, a Sprint at Brands in 1978 and she is exactly the same now as then (even with competition number

Posted Image

Many apologies for going off-topic!! :blush:

#192 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,682 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 21:33

Nice to read news about "Old Nail", Gregor. I shall look forward to seeing the car, once again, that I watched so often in the seventies.

#193 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 18:37

Thanks Alan. I spent the day at Donington today talking to Kevin Wheatcroft and making sure the old girl was feeling okay (AHH!!) and without getting in trouble for being off-topic Kevin has some great ideas and and I can't wait for it all to happen. :clap:

#194 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,682 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 14:50

Following on from the recent Frank Hall thread, the names of some of Frank's successors in the role of press officer came to mind. Does anyone else remember Malcolm Carnegie, and the late Mike Sapio who, I think, worked for a Wrexham Ford dealer and who succumbed to cancer at a very young age. I think Malcolm continued covering bike meetings but then disappeared from the scene. Both very decent blokes - not forgetting "pressman", of course!

And up until the 'eighties, the motoring correspondent from the Manchester Evening News, Duncan Measor, had a permanent seat in the press box at all meetings and gave Oulton very good coverage in the MEN.

#195 pressman

pressman

• 251 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 15:24

Following on from the recent Frank Hall thread, the names of some of Frank's successors in the role of press officer came to mind. Does anyone else remember Malcolm Carnegie, and the late Mike Sapio who, I think, worked for a Wrexham Ford dealer and who succumbed to cancer at a very young age. I think Malcolm continued covering bike meetings but then disappeared from the scene. Both very decent blokes - not forgetting "pressman", of course!

And up until the 'eighties, the motoring correspondent from the Manchester Evening News, Duncan Measor, had a permanent seat in the press box at all meetings and gave Oulton very good coverage in the MEN.

Dont forget Paul Pickup who packed up in 94.
I think he still writes for the Liverpool Echo and Jeff Coglan who did some BARC meetings

Steve

#196 alansart

alansart

• 4,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 15:39

I have a few of Frank Hall's pics and just posted one on the photos from the track thread
Posted Image

Duncan Measor was a real character and did what he could for Oulton and racing with his Manchester Evening News Column. He even did an article about the our little team, which was great at the time, but now seems a little embarrassing :)

#197 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 16:28

Ducan Measor would often be seen at Oulton and Silverstone in the company of Murray Walker

Kind regards

Phil

#198 delboy59

delboy59

• 99 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 17:11

Ducan Measor would often be seen at Oulton and Silverstone in the company of Murray Walker

Kind regards

Phil

Met Duncan last week at Frank Hall's funeral - he's stil going well!

#199 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 18:25

Which race held in the UK, saw the unlikely scenario of cars diving into the Pits to have wet weather tyres fitted because the weather had become too hot?

The answer is the Good Friday F5000 race at Oulton Park in 1975. Although I was there, I was out in the country to see the newly created Fosters corner, so did not realise the full extent of the dilemma facing the drivers.

I saw some footage of the race this week, which of course was the Good Friday Meeting when most of Cheshire was covered by early morning snow. Although the race started on a virtually dry track there were certain parts of the track that had small rivers of water running across it from the melting snow.

A number of drivers opted for slicks thinking the sun would dry out the track……however of course the sun had the opposite effect, as the temperature climbed so more snow melted and thus the track actually became wetter. Those drivers’s on slicks had to come into the pits to change to full wets.

Well knowing the answer to this quiz question may not win you “Mastermind” but it can become Useless Motor Racing Fact number 785 that is stored in your memory ;)

Kind regards

Phil

Advertisement

#200 amr2

amr2

• 50 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:45

Mention of Mike Sapio above.....

I recall the first time I met him was at the start of a road rally in about 1975, which was located in Wrexham, near to his then employers, Kirbys of Wrexham, the main Ford dealer. It was called the Fiesta Rally to celebrate the launch of the Fiesta car, so probably a little later...1976 or 77.

Competed against him on many occasions thereafter in the North Wales area.

I am not sure which event it was, but I recall he allegedly took a Fiesta demonstrator off the forecourt and used that for an evenings entertainment in the lanes, in competition...............allegedly!!

His normal mount was a ubiquitous Escort!

His navigator was John Youds, as I recall.

Andrew