Motorcycle racing during the Third Reich

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Documentsguy

Documentsguy

• 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:48

Greetings to All,

I was researching motorcycle racing during the Third Reich when I came across this website. This is my first post.

Q1. Can anyone provide me or direct me to a good overview of the status of motorcycle racing during the Third Reich? I've managed to find bits and pieces on this subject over a number of websites but not a single, coherent, comprehensive overview.

Q2. I have in my collection a 1935 German motorcycle racing license issued by the ONS to Horst Brückner, Born 10.3.08 and living in Chemnitz. Does anyone have any material, including photos, of the motorcycle racing career of the German rider Horst Brückner?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

#2 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 13:46

Motorcycle racing in Germany was always strong, and perhaps never more so than during the Third Reich - not that much different from Autoracing. I would have to do some digging to find exact info, but my general impression is that, during the twenties, England was the premier nation in European motorcycle racing, but this was partly eroded in the thirties, with Italy and Germany coming on strong. German makes like BMW and DKW were especially competitive, taking home a number of championships and, of almost even importance, TT wins.

The name Horst Brückner doesn't ring a bell, though.

#3 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 20:52

Racing Memory says that he won the 750cc class of the 1924 Eifelrundfahrt at Niddegen on an Indian. The page also states he was from Cologne.

#4 Documentsguy

Documentsguy

• 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 23:12

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your replies. I've added your responses to my data.

I agree from what I've been able to find so far that the Third Reich, up until 1939, had an active motorcycle racing program. I was hoping to find a few paragraphs that described, in general, the overall program of local, regional, national and international motorcycle racing that took place.

Bruce

#5 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 17:05

:wave: I need some time ,you may remind me by mail . :smoking: Or contact me ....by mail !

#6 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 15:11

I am not aware of a single source, but you will find evidence of the strength of German motor cycle racing in the 1933-1939 era in the programmes for the Grand Prix motor races of the period.

The German Grand Prix races up to and including 1938, all of the Eifelrennen events and the 1937 Avusrennen included motor cycle classes, usually for 250cc, 350cc, 500cc and sidecar events in support of the Grand Prix cars.

Please contact me directly if you want scans of particular race entries.