Photo

The great Stirling gets involved in a crash!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rolando

rolando

• 151 posts

Posted 21 September 2000 - 22:54

http://www.the-sun.c...rypics/13016778

This is a report about the incident

I attended the third circuit revival at Goodwood over the weekend. The event was as brilliant as ever and this time the weather was much better than last year. The event was marred by an extremely horrific accident at the start of the Richmond & Gordon Trophy race for late 50's GP cars. Nigel Corner's Ferrari 246 Dino was tagged from behind as the cars left the grid, spun to the right and then executed a number of rolls. Corner was thrown vertically from the car landing heavilly on the tyre wall just after the pits. At first the worst was feared but within twenty minutes it was announced that he was in the medical centre, sitting up and talking. It emerged later that he suffered a number of broken ribs and a punctured lung. The Ferrari was heavily damaged but no doubt will be fully restored before too long. Other drivers involved in the shunt were Martin Stretton, Connaught - Alta C Type, Stirling Moss - Cooper T53 and Alain De Cadanet - Cooper T51.

I guess, he had to remember his accident in 1962, don't you?

Any more comments?

Advertisement

#2 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 21 September 2000 - 23:02

Speaking of Goodwood- has he ever revealed/found out the cause of the crash? All I know is that he claimed not to recollect even getting out of the bed that day.
I'm glad everyone walked out pretty OK, though seeing the picture it's hard to fathom how.

#3 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 21 September 2000 - 23:57

Looking at the picture, I can see a second Ferrari, a Scarab F1 car and a Rob Walker Blue Cooper. Maybe I should change my site name to "Eagle Eye."

I talked with Stirling yesterday morning and he didn't mention the Goodwood accident.

As for his remembering his old accident, he and Niki Lauda and my dad all suffered from traumatic amnesia. All three were involved in violent accidents.

Gil