Photo

New Format for F1

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 17:27

Whereas F1 racing is a boring parade of cars in line unable to pass.

Whereas it is impossible for a faster car to pass a slower car.

Whereas running in line does not allow faster drivers who are inadvertently behind slower drivers from showing their true skill thereby robbing the fans of seeing the drivers do their best.

It is therefore proposed that F1 races now start will all cars in line and dispatched 3 seconds apart.

Time/distance information already captured from each car would determine the position during the race. The car finishing all the laps in the least time would be the winner.
If a faster car catches a slower car, the one in front would have one lap to defend its position, and if it could not do so it would be required to allow the faster car to pass.

It at any time a car has two cars queued up behind it would be required to allow both to pass. Immediately. Failure to do so would result in a drive thru penalty.

Drivers would therefore be allowed to run the entire race at their chosen pace, and the fans would have a continuous view of cars at speed unlike now where there are large amount of time with no cars passing in front of the fans.

Advertisement

#2 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 17:32

so like the isle of man then? but without deers leap ;)

#3 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 17:35

Why not just award points after qualifying and let everyone have Sunday off?

#4 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 17:51

Originally posted by Tmeranda
If a faster car catches a slower car, the one in front would have one lap to defend its position, and if it could not do so it would be required to allow the faster car to pass.

Perhaps I am deceived by my bad english: what do you mean by defending ?

If the car in front COULD NOT defend its position, why the requirement to allow the faster car to pass ?

#5 Ogami musashi

Ogami musashi

• 793 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 18:07

Lol, why not running a race with 22 parallel tracks? That would be simpler.
:)

#6 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 18:21

Bring on the sprinklers, and we will have action galore.

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 19:26

That's rally on a single stage repeated to infinity, with formula cars. Not formula 1.

Sounds boring and confusing too.

#8 oneGurneyfan

oneGurneyfan

• 53 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 21:51

You would certainly find out the true relative speed of the cars/drivers over any given distance....the only thing you'd miss would be.......................an actual race (the original idea I believe). : : : :down:

#9 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 22:04

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
Why not just award points after qualifying and let everyone have Sunday off?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl:

#10 osborn

osborn

• 133 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 23:23

Someone's had too much rum today.

#11 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 23:29

[QUOTE]Originally posted by osborn
Someone's had too much rum today. [/QUOTE

And someone has not had any......! A good suggestion IMHO, saves the terminal boredom!

The people in high places still have not got the recipe correct, when are punters going to get fed up watching a procession?

#12 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 00:26

Stage 1 is to re-introduce the original grid selection system: by ballot, same as horse racing!

#13 the9th

the9th

• 1,582 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:18

As someone said, fill em up and let em go. Tbh I would like to see different races with different philosophies. Rules should be more flexible (not the "plasticity" they currently have at the hands of the FIA). Each track should have its distinct flavour. That would be more challenging for both the engineers and the drivers. Nowdays some pretty silly slick tyres have to be tested for an eon before they are finally reintroduced, so that it does not disturb Ferrari's aero, etc... Let's face it, they're a bunch of sissies. Even when they say they're protecting their drivers they're actually protecting their business. This will only change when someone as clever as me ;) puts into action something awfully outrageous (like a real event) otherwise we're stuck to this parochial mentality for as long as Max and Bernie live. And I am a fan of both. So many lost opportunities... Okay so not everything's wrong, but let's try something different. Night races may be cool but it's probably just a nice way to waste a lot of energy. :smoking:

#14 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:34

Originally posted by the9th
Each track should have its distinct flavour. That would be more challenging for both the engineers and the drivers.

I think thats important too. Its all backwards nowadays. They (he) design the tracks while considering what the current cars can or cant do.

The sad thing is that there's no looking back when it comes to fundamental stuff like this, there's no way to fix that now, too late...

But I sure like the idea, make them run at some place where there's always 75mph crosswinds, or put a speedbump in the middle of Pouhon... we need stuff that the engineers cant possibly sanitize..

That last corner in Montreal with the car shredder on the left and the concrete wall on the right, its stuff like that thats disappearing... not an epic corner, or feature, by any means.. but it makes Satos pass Alonsos..

#15 Kami P

Kami P

• 119 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 17:15

You wanna create overtaking friendly corners...problem solved.

#16 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 17:31

Bring back the old format: when qualifying was qualifying and grand prix was a grand prix instead of fuel measuring sessions and sets of sprint races.

#17 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 19:32

Originally posted by micra_k10
Bring back the old format: when qualifying was qualifying and grand prix was a grand prix instead of fuel measuring sessions and sets of sprint races.

I thoroughly agree :up: :up: :up:

#18 Engineguy

Engineguy

• 989 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 00:17

Originally posted by micra_k10

Yes, get rid of the fuel load shananigans and let all qualifying be done on light fuel load. But the knockout format does add some drama and reduces the traffic during what is the most important thing to the fans... the shootout by the big dogs for the pole/first couple rows.

#19 OssieFan

OssieFan

• 841 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 00:57

Originally posted by Tmeranda
Whereas F1 racing is a boring parade of cars in line unable to pass.

Whereas it is impossible for a faster car to pass a slower car.

Whereas running in line does not allow faster drivers who are inadvertently behind slower drivers from showing their true skill thereby robbing the fans of seeing the drivers do their best.

None of this is true.

Advertisement

#20 Languedoc

Languedoc

• 52 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:23

Just ban refuelling.

Languedoc

#21 brooster51

brooster51

• 210 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:02

Let's ban tire changes as well, except in cases of emergency. Drivers would have to strategize how hard to push and probably as the tires wear, passing would become easier.

The difficulty would be defining and then enforcing 'emergency'.

#22 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:47

Worst thread of 2007. Easily.

#23 Lantern

Lantern

• 2,408 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:05

Originally posted by kids like ash
Worst thread of 2007. Easily.

Oh.......I don't agree with that. :lol:

If that were true then we'd have to declare 2007 as the best year EVER for forum discussions. And that's not just AltasF1.....I mean ANY forum from autoracing to the zodiac appreciation society.;) ;) ;) ;)

(Doesn't mean I agree with the thread....just that forum members can make pretty wacky threads)