Photo

2008 ugly car of the year award

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#101 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,274 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 14:51

Renault still hits the bottom and stays there, unless they make a complete (and successful) makeover later. It has had a nosejob but it does not help if the styling is wrong.

Honda white has its failures like two stripes (they have a reason however, coming from 'H' and from Surtees time but especially in overalls they are mild) but it is OK compared to the F1-circus wagon.

Advertisement

#102 riffola

riffola

• 940 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 15:23

Honda, hands down.

#103 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 15:36

Id say Force India closely followed by Renault, Renault pips it purely by being a better car. Im brushing Honda way off to the side and ignoring it because I cant even tell if I like it or now, its in limbo.

#104 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 15:41

Originally posted by Powersteer
What blue is that?? Its wonderfully executed.

:cool:

Beautiful! :) However, I guess the final livery will be just like last year. :

#105 Rob

Rob

• 8,165 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 15:43

My word, that is horrific!

They have the right idea with the white and red - those are the colours a proper Honda should have. The blue and green tat is amazingly ugly and clashes really violently with the red and white. If I was a Honda sponsor I would be embarassed to say I was sponsoring that thing.

They need to cut the Google Earth image and have all the text in red. Even as a compromise they could have silhouettes of the continents in red - it would still convey the same message. Compared to this, last year's earth car looks like the Mona Lisa.

#106 Tifoso05

Tifoso05

• 137 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 16:11

Originally posted by Rob
My word, that is horrific!

They have the right idea with the white and red - those are the colours a proper Honda should have. The blue and green tat is amazingly ugly and clashes really violently with the red and white. If I was a Honda sponsor I would be embarassed to say I was sponsoring that thing.

They need to cut the Google Earth image and have all the text in red. Even as a compromise they could have silhouettes of the continents in red - it would still convey the same message. Compared to this, last year's earth car looks like the Mona Lisa.

100%

I like the combination of that red-white and Japan-Honda. But... what's that? That green is like copy-paste, without any creativity, I mean... those stripes it's like done in layers. Last years car was much better than this one, if was a new and differente concept. It could have been even better if they put the images of the country where the race was held (as mentioned firstly). However, maybe on track looks better, I'll give it an opportunity
The Renault... is not sooo ugly. I personally prefer different colour schmes rather than a)Red B)White. Red means Ferrari :p However, this year, with the new helmte from Alonso... it certainly makes the car uglier. :|

A hard contest, but Honda.... Honda will at least win a trophy this year.

#107 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 18:24

Oh my, Honda is a design catastrophe. Even worse than last year! Two green stripes both on front of the car and driver overalls are killing me. :drunk:

#108 VoidNT

VoidNT

• 1,561 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 18:28

Originally posted by ensign14
Well, I hope all of you tasteless ***** who complained about the Honda scheme last year are satisfied. The most original, intriguing and imagination-expanding scheme F1 has seen for a very very very long time scrapped for a dog's breakfast of pig's ear. I hold each one of you personally responsible and shall be suing for punitive damages accordingly for the offence you have caused to my eyes.

:lol:

#109 Showty

Showty

• 1,260 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 18:46

It would be nice to have a thread about the most beautiful and the uglyiest cars in the history of F1, don´t u guys think so?

#110 frederik-

frederik-

• 92 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 19:14

Would be quite funny.

#111 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 21:56

All look the bloody same to me. :drunk: :lol:

#112 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,097 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 22:02

Honda seem to have been un-comfortable without the Japanese colours - red and white. So they've mixed up the earth colours and the National colours. Clearly a committee decision. Still its a decision which will not affect the speed of the car. Other committee decisions probably will though. However I don't mind it, because the car should be easy to recognise on the track, which is a major plus these days, when F1 cars look all the same. Once you could tell each team car quite easily, nowadays we are dependent on the colour schemes.

#113 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 22:02

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
All look the bloody same to me. :drunk: :lol:

Every female I ever watched a race with agrees with you...;)

#114 yr

yr

• 5,899 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 22:21

You know an infinite amount of monkeys given an infinite amount of time will come up with the works of Shakespeare, da Vinci, Rembrandt and so on?

Renault's design last year = 3 monkeys, 10 minutes.

#115 Owen

Owen

• 10,446 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:57

Livery: Honda (with honourable mention to Renault)
Car: Hammerhead Ferrari

But you never know, Farce India could look awful.

#116 tripleM

tripleM

• 748 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:01

Posted Image

#117 howardt

howardt

• 2,102 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:19

oh my, that big dorsal fin is wierd. Almost like they're going for the 50's chevy look. Needs more chrome.

#118 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,350 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 13:08

Originally posted by howardt
oh my, that big dorsal fin is wierd. Almost like they're going for the 50's chevy look. Needs more chrome.

Posted Image
Like this? :p

#119 flymo

flymo

• 35 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 14:21

Just looked at pictures from today's testing. BMW has to be considered a front-runner for this award. With that Klingon forehead appendage added to a car already bristling with oddly-shaped protruberances, the car looks like a moving coral reef. Gacckk!

Advertisement

#120 president evil

president evil

• 173 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 14:31

I think given the current trend for having neurofibromatosis in carbon fibre that all this years F1 cars are damn ugly. Wingles, chimneys, bashed in sidepods and more curnes than Keira Knightley I think they should go back to the drawing board of the mid 90's.

#121 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 22:32

Originally posted by fastlegs
If Honda really wants to go green, then I think they should apply Chia technology to their cars and really make a statement. ;)

Posted Image

good one!:up:

#122 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:33

Ok Renault get ugliest car livery award.

#123 Owen

Owen

• 10,446 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:40

Originally posted by MichaelPM
Ok Renault get ugliest car livery award.

Coming from an Alonso fan, that is quite a statement.

#124 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:53

Originally posted by Owen

If the livery is ugly ... is ugly ... I don't think Alonso's fans have to defend the livery of his car ...
is stupid of you to think that ...

Maybe you as a McLaren fan need to defend even the underwear colors of Ron Dennis.

In my case, I really don't care very much. Ferrari has been red since I was born, and it only gets better with time.

#125 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 13:01

Well don't worry the shirts arent so bad, its the car that suffers most.

#126 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,175 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 13:08

Originally posted by volumenzero

Not really, given that most overzealous 'fans' on this board will defend livery, wardrobe and choice of breakfast cereal of 'their' driver as if a personal slight has been made against their parents.

#127 Owen

Owen

• 10,446 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 13:08

If the livery is ugly ... is ugly ... I don't think Alonso's fans have to defend the livery of his car ...

Maybe you as a McLaren fan need to defend even the underwear colors of Ron Dennis.

In my case, I really don't care very much. Ferrari has been red since I was born, and it only gets better with time.

No, what I'm saying is that fans can lose their 'objectivity' when it comes to things like this. Your last sentence proves that point nicely. ;)

#128 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 13:18

No, what I'm saying is that fans can lose their 'objectivity' when it comes to things like this. Your last sentence proves that point nicely. ;)

I don't see your point. am I a fan? ... you don't really know me, sorry pal ... I like Ferrari, the same way I like williams. I used to like McLaren, but with the last incidents (Stepneygate) I don't care very much for them ...

#129 Owen

Owen

• 10,446 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 13:31

I don't see your point. am I a fan? ... you don't really know me, sorry pal ... I like Ferrari, the same way I like williams. I used to like McLaren, but with the last incidents (Stepneygate) I don't care very much for them ...

By the antagonistic tone of your argument I'm feeling pretty good that I don't know you actually. :lol: With all due respect I don't really mind or care who you choose to like or dislike. Returning again to my main point; what I'm saying is that fan bias can colour opinion on things like this. I don't think that is a contreversial statement to make, but clearly you think otherwise. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

#130 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 13:49

By the antagonistic tone of your argument I'm feeling pretty good that I don't know you actually. :lol: With all due respect I don't really mind or care who you choose to like or dislike. Returning again to my main point; what I'm saying is that fan bias can colour opinion on things like this. I don't think that is a contreversial statement to make, but clearly you think otherwise. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

I only say that you like to make others look like dumb, biased fans ...

#131 Owen

Owen

• 10,446 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 14:01

I only say that you like to make others look like dumb, biased fans ...

Jeesh.... If you're a fan you have, (by the very nature of being a fan), some level of bias or sympathy to a certain cause.
It's you that using words like 'dumb', not me.

#132 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 14:40

Ok I'm going out on a limb here and embracing being a hippy....but have you ever wondered why Ferrari is one of the most popular teams/cars? Could it be to do with colour psychology? ;)

http://www.colour-af...uk/psyprop.html

There are four psychological primary colours - red, blue, yellow and green. They relate respectively to the body, the mind, the emotions and the essential balance between these three. The psychological properties of the eleven basic colours are as follows:

RED. Physical
Positive: Physical courage, strength, warmth, energy, basic survival, 'fight or flight', stimulation, masculinity, excitement.
Negative: Defiance, aggression, visual impact, strain.

Being the longest wavelength, red is a powerful colour. Although not technically the most visible, it has the property of appearing to be nearer than it is and therefore it grabs our attention first. Hence its effectiveness in traffic lights the world over. Its effect is physical; it stimulates us and raises the pulse rate, giving the impression that time is passing faster than it is. It relates to the masculine principle and can activate the "fight or flight" instinct. Red is strong, and very basic. Pure red is the simplest colour, with no subtlety. It is stimulating and lively, very friendly. At the same time, it can be perceived as demanding and aggressive.

BLUE. Intellectual.
Positive: Intelligence, communication, trust, efficiency, serenity, duty, logic, coolness, reflection, calm.
Negative: Coldness, aloofness, lack of emotion, unfriendliness.

Blue is the colour of the mind and is essentially soothing; it affects us mentally, rather than the physical reaction we have to red. Strong blues will stimulate clear thought and lighter, soft blues will calm the mind and aid concentration. Consequently it is serene and mentally calming. It is the colour of clear communication. Blue objects do not appear to be as close to us as red ones. Time and again in research, blue is the world's favourite colour. However, it can be perceived as cold, unemotional and unfriendly.

YELLOW. Emotional
Positive: Optimism, confidence, self-esteem, extraversion, emotional strength, friendliness, creativity.
Negative: Irrationality, fear, emotional fragility, depression, anxiety, suicide.

The yellow wavelength is relatively long and essentially stimulating. In this case the stimulus is emotional, therefore yellow is the strongest colour, psychologically. The right yellow will lift our spirits and our self-esteem; it is the colour of confidence and optimism. Too much of it, or the wrong tone in relation to the other tones in a colour scheme, can cause self-esteem to plummet, giving rise to fear and anxiety. Our "yellow streak" can surface.

GREEN. Balance
Positive: Harmony, balance, refreshment, universal love, rest, restoration, reassurance, environmental awareness, equilibrium, peace.
Negative: Boredom, stagnation, blandness, enervation.

Green strikes the eye in such a way as to require no adjustment whatever and is, therefore, restful. Being in the centre of the spectrum, it is the colour of balance - a more important concept than many people realise. When the world about us contains plenty of green, this indicates the presence of water, and little danger of famine, so we are reassured by green, on a primitive level. Negatively, it can indicate stagnation and, incorrectly used, will be perceived as being too bland.

VIOLET. Spiritual
Positive: Spiritual awareness, containment, vision, luxury, authenticity, truth, quality.
Negative: Introversion, decadence, suppression, inferiority.

The shortest wavelength is violet, often described as purple. It takes awareness to a higher level of thought, even into the realms of spiritual values. It is highly introvertive and encourages deep contemplation, or meditation. It has associations with royalty and usually communicates the finest possible quality. Being the last visible wavelength before the ultra-violet ray, it has associations with time and space and the cosmos. Excessive use of purple can bring about too much introspection and the wrong tone of it communicates something cheap and nasty, faster than any other colour.

ORANGE.
Positive: Physical comfort, food, warmth, security, sensuality, passion, abundance, fun.
Negative: Deprivation, frustration, frivolity, immaturity.

Since it is a combination of red and yellow, orange is stimulating and reaction to it is a combination of the physical and the emotional. It focuses our minds on issues of physical comfort - food, warmth, shelter etc. - and sensuality. It is a 'fun' colour. Negatively, it might focus on the exact opposite - deprivation. This is particularly likely when warm orange is used with black. Equally, too much orange suggests frivolity and a lack of serious intellectual values.

PINK.
Positive: Physical tranquillity, nurture, warmth, femininity, love, sexuality, survival of the species.
Negative: Inhibition, emotional claustrophobia, emasculation, physical weakness.

Being a tint of red, pink also affects us physically, but it soothes, rather than stimulates. (Interestingly, red is the only colour that has an entirely separate name for its tints. Tints of blue, green, yellow, etc. are simply called light blue, light green…etc.) Pink is a powerful colour, psychologically. It represents the feminine principle, and survival of the species; it is nurturing and physically soothing. Too much pink is physically draining and can be somewhat emasculating.

GREY.
Positive: Psychological neutrality.
Negative: Lack of confidence, dampness, depression, hibernation, lack of energy.

Pure grey is the only colour that has no direct psychological properties. It is, however, quite suppressive. A virtual absence of colour is depressing and when the world turns grey we are instinctively conditioned to draw in and prepare for hibernation. Unless the precise tone is right, grey has a dampening effect on other colours used with it. Heavy use of grey usually indicates a lack of confidence and fear of exposure.

BLACK.
Positive: Sophistication, glamour, security, emotional safety, efficiency, substance.
Negative: Oppression, coldness, menace, heaviness.

Black is all colours, totally absorbed. The psychological implications of that are considerable. It creates protective barriers, as it absorbs all the energy coming towards you, and it enshrouds the personality. Positively, it communicates absolute clarity, with no fine nuances. It works particularly well with white. It communicates sophistication and uncompromising excellence. It creates a perception of weight and seriousness (it is a myth that black clothes are slimming). Black is essentially an absence of light, since no wavelengths are reflected and it can, therefore be menacing; many people are afraid of the dark.

WHITE.
Positive: Hygiene, sterility, clarity, purity, cleanness, simplicity, sophistication, efficiency.
Negative: Sterility, coldness, barriers, unfriendliness, elitism.

Just as black is total absorption, so white is total reflection. In effect, it reflects the full force of the spectrum into our eyes. Thus it also creates barriers, but differently from black, and it is often a strain to look at. It communicates, "Touch me not!" White is purity and, like black, uncompromising; it is clean, hygienic, and sterile. The concept of sterility can also be negative. Visually, white gives a heightened perception of space. The negative effect of white on warm colours is to make them look and feel garish.

BROWN.
Positive: Seriousness, warmth, Nature, earthiness, reliability, support.
Negative: Lack of humour, heaviness, lack of sophistication.

Brown usually consists of red and yellow, with a large percentage of black. Consequently, it has much of the same seriousness as black, but is warmer and softer. It has elements of the red and yellow properties. Brown has associations with the earth and the natural world. It is a solid, reliable colour and most people find it quietly supportive - more positively than the ever-popular black, which is suppressive, rather than supportive.

#133 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 15:03

Yes Chiara, ive often felt this, also in other sports such as football etc the 'red' team seems to win

#134 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,037 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 15:31

Originally posted by Chiara
BLUE. Intellectual.
Positive: Intelligence, communication, trust, efficiency, serenity, duty, logic, coolness, reflection, calm.
Negative: Coldness, aloofness, lack of emotion, unfriendliness.

/me desperately tries to find any resemblance at all to Birmingham City performances

#135 howardt

howardt

• 2,102 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 16:50

/me desperately tries to find any resemblance at all to Birmingham City performances

I went to a blues game once, when I was living in Small Heath. I think it would encapsulate the exact opposite of every single adjective given above. It especially didn't have any of these :
"aloofness, lack of emotion, unfriendliness"

:up:

#136 hobbes

hobbes

• 889 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 17:44

Originally posted by president evil
I think given the current trend for having neurofibromatosis in carbon fibre that all this years F1 cars are damn ugly. Wingles, chimneys, bashed in sidepods and more curnes than Keira Knightley I think they should go back to the drawing board of the mid 90's.

i wouldnt describe Keira Knightly as being curvy, so it doesnt take much to have more curves than her! I actually think the ferrari is really nice, particularily because of the colour.

#137 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,175 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 13:59

Originally posted by hobbes

i wouldnt describe Keira Knightly as being curvy, so it doesnt take much to have more curves than her! I actually think the ferrari is really nice, particularily because of the colour.

Hehe exactly, I think if the cars had the curves of Ms Knightly, nobody would be complaining anymore!

#138 Risil

Risil

• 13,615 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 15:05

Originally posted by LostProphet

Hehe exactly, I think if the cars had the curves of Ms Knightly, nobody would be complaining anymore!

Yes! I propose a return to the early-to-mid 1970s, when the cars had the build and curves of Gracie Fields in her prime. In fact such talk is beginning to disturb me slightly. :drunk:

#139 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,486 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 16:15

Opinions on the liveries so far:

Ferrari - awesome with the tabacco advertising, okay with the barcodes. Makes perfect sense to keep it.

McLaren - a bit too shiney bling, but it's a quite good aggressive livery. Makes sense to keep it as well.

BMW - thank god they kept it instead of making it T-Mobile pink. At the start of last year i thought it looked a bit bland, but it really grown on me as the year went by.

Renault - i know about the "real world" constraints and that there wasn't a better solution for mixing the ING and Renault colors, but still. It looks like utter shit and wins this award easily.

Williams (leaked pictures) - looks okay, but i preferred last year's a bit.

Honda - i thought last years was a mess, this one is much neater, altho they still could've done a bit better with it, the way the earth picture is pasted on top of the white looks like weird and half-assed.

Red Bull - maybe I'm imagining things but last years' stripes on the sides looked a bit bigger? I quite liked those stripes. Minimal differences though, it's a good livery but a bit too Red-Bull-can-on-a-car.

Toyota - when will they change it? It's really bland. Hardly as shockingly offensive to the eyes as the Renault, but it isn't captivating.

Force India - gahhh, yet another case of a brilliant testing livery getting dropped for something (much) worse. It looks weird with the colors not fitting each other from a front view, not as bad from a side view. Runner-up to Renault.

I do think fan psychology plays a role in this, as my fav 2 liveries are the team I support and the driver I support, I disliked the Ferrari livery in the later M Schumacher years. :p

Advertisement

#140 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,175 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 16:30

Originally posted by paranoik0
Opinions on the liveries so far:

I'm just gonna steal your post for my own thoughts on them ;) :D

Ferrari - Beautiful. I never liked them with the more 'orangey' red, but this new one is an absolute keeper. I'd prefer it if they'd ditch tobacco branding like everyone else, but there we are. I'm not a big fan of the Marlboro typeface or the barcodes :/

McLaren - My preferred team, so maybe a bit of psychology coming into play ;) but I've always liked it. I think it's a good colour to show off the various aero bits as well, so always easier to spot developments :)

BMW - A nice, smart livery. A bit uninspired, but the car looks nice and aggressive so I think the package works well together.

Renault - I think Paranoik0 put this one best. I really, really don't like it. Surely ING would prefer to make some concessions with their corporate colours in order to have their name plastered on a car that looked good?! But apparently not.

Williams - Always classy, a dying breed.

Honda - I liked last years, it's just the car was crap. Always thought it would've looked better on a more conventional car. Now they have one they've changed it again!! Not such a big fan, but it's nice to see green in the livery, and the viking horns do look good in it!;)

Red Bull - Smart and stylish, me likey.

Toyota - Bland, boring and corporate. Nothing outstanding, middle of the pack. A perfect livery for what their team seems to represent in F1 I'm afraid.

Force India - Again, paranoik0 has got it dead on with this. Gold should only be present as wheel rims on a red-and-black-winged Ferrari. Or maybe a Johnny Walker special MP4-23 ;)

Scuderia Torro Rosso - I imagine will be the same 'bull' as before. I always liked it, so if they keep it again, so much the better.

Super Aguri - Assuming they will keep the same livery as before - it was always OK, but nothing spectacular.

#141 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,097 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 22:00

I rate F1 car appearance mostly on how easy they are to recognise. So the Viking wings of the McLaren were a big plus, until they took them off at some places. :mad:

I loved the Walrus Williams front when it was so fast in testing. But when it was confirmed as slow, I hated it. :mad:

I loved the unique all red Ferrari, because it was so easy to identify it. But when another red car came along, my appreciation of the Ferrari fell right down.

I loved the RBR's colour scheme. But because Torro Rosso looks so much the same, I rate it :down: .

The Honda all earth car was so unique, I loved it. And when they parked it on the grass during the race, it looked in its natural environment. :lol:

The Renault might be ugly on a superficial artistic scale, but its sure as heck easy to identify it! That gives it a :up: :up: :up: from me.

The Toyota was very easy to recognise, it used to be a :up: :up: :up: from me. But then the other Honda came along - I forget their name ;) - with white and red, and I started to get confused. So they both went down in my appreciation.

For some reason the Williams is not that easy to ID for me. I seem to need to see that advertising letters to confirm it really is a Williams. So its a middle of the pack rating for me. Not sure about this year, 'cause they keep changing it. ;)

The BMW this year would rate very highly for me. It was an absolute winner for me, at Monaco a couple of years ago, with its vertical front wings - but then they got banned. So its leadership lasted but one race. :mad: This year, I don't know if they are going to use the multi-finned front end all the time. If they do, it'll get a top rating with the Renault from me. And Ferrari will join them if there's no red cars around. I think Spyker have gone now, and so their orange. If so, the McLaren could be up there. But last year the Spyker look like a McLaren at times, and vice verce.

For me brand recognition is what its about for me. The cars look so similar now, its mostly the artworks job to tell us what brand of car it is. As for the drivers, I'd like two different coloured lights on top of the camera, with one blue and the other yellow, just to quickly ID the drivers while they shoot past.

#142 archstanton

archstanton

• 425 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:04

Renault Photoshop Challenge

unfortunately described as a car in a clownsuit, let's see if we can't help this poor beast, and maybe get the boys and girls in the renault paintshop a few hours overtime before the season starts.

all sorts of contractually obliged clashing colors, and 13, yes 13, ING logos, it's gonna be tough
Posted Image

here's my attempt, Renault lose a bit of yellow on the engine cover, but gain some on the top of the nose. to make-up for it, we paint the front and back wings in historical renault black. lose one of the thick pinstripes and fade the orange into the yellow. this gradient somehow looks a bit NASCAR to me, so in that spirit, let's go the whole hog and stick on a big fat italic number ... although that's me just playing to the gallery, i know how much this forum wants big car numbers.;)
Posted Image

... of course, if renault marketing took a hit for the good of the team, or ING put their hands in their pocket and bought more of the car, you could have something that looks like this. yeah i know we have too many white cars, but a) ING logo is mainly white, and b) the colors are solid blocks, and to me, it looks more like an orange and black car with white, rather than a white car with orange and black. it looks fairly handsome i think, and would not be mistaken for any of the other white cars out there
the black extremities (wings, nose, wheels, suspension, floor, airbox-hole and camera-mount) all tie together and so the remaining paintscheme looks a lot tighter and obviously a lot more consistent. the black pinstripe also looks bolder, and instead of hurting the design, now starts adding strength to it. (imho)
Posted Image

it's all just a bit of fun, have a shot for yourself ...

#143 bogi

bogi

• 3,010 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:06

On the second picture color sidepods with the same orange like on the rest of the car. :up:

#144 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,408 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:36

Wow I'm impressed with both of those efforts actually. The Renault car-in-a-clownsuit concept was never going to give a pretty result as long as the sponsor and the manufacturer insisted on their colours. Bit in truth, I'm not sure that anyone really recognises Renault has having a colour and, if they did, it was probably the light blue which was so prominent in the clothing and the car up to 2006.

Nice pimping, archstanton.

#145 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:37

This thread seems to be entirely about colour schemes, not whether the cars are ugly or not. Let's see them all in bare carbon fibre before we judge......

....we could also then have a go at telling which is which :rolleyes:

#146 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,175 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 13:34

Without livery, the ugly has to be the Force India. It's an old car design.
I'm not a huge fan of the Toyota-nose on the Ferrari, but fast is beautiful so ...

#147 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,097 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 22:57

Originally posted by archstanton

Good job on blending the orange into the yellow.

Yes, I like the big number! :up:

#148 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,037 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 23:06

Originally posted by David Beard
This thread seems to be entirely about colour schemes, not whether the cars are ugly or not. Let's see them all in bare carbon fibre before we judge......
....we could also then have a go at telling which is which :rolleyes:

Yes, let's do the same with 60s cars. Brabham? Cooper? Lola? LDS?

The black and orange Renault is so far better than the technicolour vomit they now have I can scarcely believe it.

#149 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,497 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 23:40

Originally posted by archstanton

You need to do something for the eggs, namely sidepods.

#150 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:37

Originally posted by hobbes

i wouldnt describe Keira Knightly as being curvy, so it doesnt take much to have more curves than her! I actually think the ferrari is really nice,

I wouldn't have anything to do with either of them. They both have very sharp knees, well below my standards.