* * * * - 3 votes

Rfactor

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#201 Ulledulledof

Ulledulledof

• 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 18:22

Nice to see some interest towards simracing but here are some quite poor statements that require clarification.

People practising 5 to 10 hours per day? Thats rubbish. Even top level FSR players are just humans who need to study, work and get drunk every now and then. I can easily guarantee no one does such amount of practise. Average of 1 hour is probably on the high side already, and even then it's questionable if all that time can be used doing effective testing. What I mean by that is all people get tired and then its simply useless to do things that require maximum concentration. You aren't going to develop the greatest ever setup with half of the lights on in your head.

Anyway if you want to reduce testing, you should probably just drive with slower guys, instead of putting your nose to the so called professional class and tell them to practise less. What is professionalism anyway these days when everything must be restricted and forced closer to the amateur level. Stars won't shine if you don't let them rise.

Edited by Ulledulledof, 15 July 2010 - 18:23.

Advertisement

#202 Lights

Lights

• 9,629 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 21:43

Formula 1 has a lot of restrictions these days, does that mean it's closer to amateur level than let's say, 10 years ago? If anything, it's the opposite.

5 to 10 hours per day is indeed a bit optimistic, not that I know who said that here. But an average of 1 hour being on the high side? Forget it, there really are drivers out there practicing 1000+ laps before a race, and that's simply impossible with only 1 hour of testing a day. I'd say 2 to 3 hours on average is definitely possible. Not saying they all do that, some don't need that at all to be competitive.

And whether all that time is 'effectively used' or not, I don't see why that needs to be considered. They still spend that amount of time on it, just like in Formula 1 where in some sessions the cars spend more time in the pitbox analyzing data and changing the setup, than actual running. You'd still say they have 1,5 + 1,5 + 1 hour of testing.

#203 Ulledulledof

Ulledulledof

• 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 23:51

Formula 1 has a lot of restrictions these days, does that mean it's closer to amateur level than let's say, 10 years ago? If anything, it's the opposite.

5 to 10 hours per day is indeed a bit optimistic, not that I know who said that here. But an average of 1 hour being on the high side? Forget it, there really are drivers out there practicing 1000+ laps before a race, and that's simply impossible with only 1 hour of testing a day. I'd say 2 to 3 hours on average is definitely possible. Not saying they all do that, some don't need that at all to be competitive.

Formula 1 grew in to its glory by reflecting the ultimate challenge of car and driver development for decades. In the past years Max Mosley and his companions tried to eliminate this side. Better for us they didn't manage to finish the job they started.
But in FSR, maybe there is someone doing 1000+ laps for some race but that's not my point. What I'm trying to say is that such amount of laps aren't needed for a good result or race victories.
In my view 1000+ laps is overcommiting and such level doesn't last for a full season. People will burn out and average amount of practice is normalized again.

Anyway I see these claims about massive amount practice as a myth, which sadly seems to carry on giving a bad mark for the greatest drivers there are. Ironically I'd guess the same guys who didn't succeed while attempting their best are keeping this myth alive.

Edited by Ulledulledof, 16 July 2010 - 00:00.

#204 Lights

Lights

• 9,629 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:00

But in FSR, maybe there is someone doing 1000+ laps for some race but that's not my point. What I'm trying to say is that such amount of laps aren't needed for a good result or race victories.
In my view 1000+ laps is overcommiting and such level doesn't last for a full season. People will burn out and average amount of practice is normalized again.

Anyway I see these claims about massive amount practice as a myth, which sadly seems to carry on giving a bad mark for the greatest drivers there are. Ironically I'd guess the same guys who didn't succeed while attempting their best are keeping this myth alive.

It's not a myth, as several drivers told me themselves that they practice these kind of amounts for most of the events. Some of them were successful and won races, some of them weren't, but they all tried. Besides that, I don't see how it would give them a bad mark. Nobody here is bringing them down by mentioning it, as you simply can't win in the World Championship without a massive amount of talent in the first place. However, the list of drivers who can fight for victories without practicing these claimed amounts is small.

#205 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,334 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:58

Nice to see some interest towards simracing but here are some quite poor statements that require clarification.

People practising 5 to 10 hours per day? Thats rubbish. Even top level FSR players are just humans who need to study, work and get drunk every now and then. I can easily guarantee no one does such amount of practise. Average of 1 hour is probably on the high side already, and even then it's questionable if all that time can be used doing effective testing. What I mean by that is all people get tired and then its simply useless to do things that require maximum concentration. You aren't going to develop the greatest ever setup with half of the lights on in your head.

Anyway if you want to reduce testing, you should probably just drive with slower guys, instead of putting your nose to the so called professional class and tell them to practise less. What is professionalism anyway these days when everything must be restricted and forced closer to the amateur level. Stars won't shine if you don't let them rise.

What position are you making these claims from? If you're a top FSR driver it'd be nice to talk more :wave: If not how do you claim to know? I know for a fact some drivers did over 2000 laps practice at some events in FSR WC last year. I was on the FSR practice server which logged laps done. That said the best will always be the best and not necessarily he who practices most. Roy Kolbe did less practice towards the end of the year and still was fighting for podiums but having a team full of excellent drivers meant he always had the best setups of his team mates as a starting point and went on to tale the title. Earlier in the year when he was hard at it he was untouchable alot of the time and, a bit like Jenson last year, won the title by being dominant early in the season. He's amazing talent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bring anyone down. But when practice is unlimited it becomes who biased in favour of those who have most free time wether you think it's true or not. Its a fact. At the first race in Melbourne I was about 2.5s off Kolbe's pole, we were pretty much a laughing stock. By Spa I was fighting for pole. Did I get much better or was it by Spa I'd had 6 months FSR practice and setup development compared to the 3 weeks I'd had before the season started?

#206 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,828 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:47

If you download the track, don't just place the track itself in the folder, the trackfolder - for example Barcelona - would show a folder (Barcelona_GP), and a Barcelona_Maps.mas, Barcelona.Mas and a Barcelona.tdf. Inside the Barcelona_GP folder there should be an AIW file a .Camf, a gdb file, etc. So, in short the longest extension should read something like: C:\rfactor\gamedata\locations\barcelona\barcelona_gp

About the spinning from a standing start: did you pick a turbo car? Then it's just tough luck! I've the readme file and it says it takes about three laps untill the tyres are warm enough to keep the power down. Another option is programming your controller to use a handclutch. Keep the revs up, and then SLOOOOWLY release the clutch.

By the way: I like the 85 mod too, I just can't play it with more than two cars... one way or another it eats up processorspeed... something the other mods don't seem to do.

Hello
I'm still having problem downloading the tracks into rFactor, I've tried downloading the Osterreichring79 track and placed all the folders and files into the location folder, but when I tried opening it up in the game, I'd get the message of "error opening MAS Osterreichring79.MAS file", do you know why? i've put this file in my location > Osterreicring folder, is there something wrong with the file itself? it's the second time i got this error message, same one as when i tried downloading the Brazil track, i wonder what I've done incorrectly. Please help!!

#207 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,828 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:59

oh, i finally figured out what the issue is with the .MAS file, i had checked the SCN file content and found out I missed one folder in the path to .MAS file, once I added the extra folder, the track loaded up properly. I've briefly tried the Osterreichring track and Zolder track late last night, will give it another go tonight after work. :clap: :clap:

#208 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 17:29

Does anyone play the 85 F1 mod for rFactor? I have - finally! - been able to speed up my computer so I can play this mod... but somehow I can't filter out Martin Brundle and Stefan Bellof in seasomode. So either they drive the turbo AND the cosworth Tyrrel, or they drive the turbo car.

Thanks, anyone for tips and help.

#209 Tim Wilkinson

Tim Wilkinson

• 77 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 16:48

Does anyone play the 85 F1 mod for rFactor? I have - finally! - been able to speed up my computer so I can play this mod... but somehow I can't filter out Martin Brundle and Stefan Bellof in seasomode. So either they drive the turbo AND the cosworth Tyrrel, or they drive the turbo car.

You can edit the VEH files so that they aren't picked up.

Go to C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\F1_1985\Teams\Tyrrell and you'll see 4 VEH files (amongst others). The names are self explanatory - 01203 is Brundle in the Cosworth 012, 01403 is Brundle in the Turbo 014, swap 03 to 04 for Bellof.

You can open the files with a text editor (eg notepad) and find the line Classes="F1_1985, Cosworth". This is the vehicle filter line and shows that the car will be picked up in any season specifying either F1_1985 or Cosworth. The 014 file reads Classes="F1_1985, Turbo". So the problem is that a sseason with F1_1985 as the filter picks up both 012 Cosworth and 014 Turbo versions. Simply delete the "F1_1985" from that classes line in the VEH file of the cars you wish to not appear, and then the filter will not pick up those cars when it creates a new F1_1985 season.

There may be a way to get the 012 to appear for some races and then the 014 for others (I think there's a British F3 mod that does something like this) but I haven't looked into how it works yet.

If you haven't done so already you could create a season with CTDPs championship manager to mirror the 1985 calendar.

Hope this helps.
Tim

#210 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 17:10

You can edit the VEH files so that they aren't picked up.

Go to C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\F1_1985\Teams\Tyrrell and you'll see 4 VEH files (amongst others). The names are self explanatory - 01203 is Brundle in the Cosworth 012, 01403 is Brundle in the Turbo 014, swap 03 to 04 for Bellof.

You can open the files with a text editor (eg notepad) and find the line Classes="F1_1985, Cosworth". This is the vehicle filter line and shows that the car will be picked up in any season specifying either F1_1985 or Cosworth. The 014 file reads Classes="F1_1985, Turbo". So the problem is that a sseason with F1_1985 as the filter picks up both 012 Cosworth and 014 Turbo versions. Simply delete the "F1_1985" from that classes line in the VEH file of the cars you wish to not appear, and then the filter will not pick up those cars when it creates a new F1_1985 season.

There may be a way to get the 012 to appear for some races and then the 014 for others (I think there's a British F3 mod that does something like this) but I haven't looked into how it works yet.

If you haven't done so already you could create a season with CTDPs championship manager to mirror the 1985 calendar.

Hope this helps.
Tim

Thank you very much! I am currently driving the Alfa, but the next 'season' I want to drive the Tyrrel. And I can't handle two Bellofs....

#211 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 23:28

Can someone give me a short summary of how rFactor has changed in the last 5 years since I stopped driving? I am not so interested in exctly what mods has come out, rather if there has been changes in the game engine, the game play and so. Of course if it is a mod that uses all the options that science have made available to blow the socks off all other mods, do go ahead and mention it :)

EDIT: I am sure there is drivers practicing 5-10 hours per day.

Edited by Hairpin, 27 August 2010 - 23:30.

#212 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:43

Can someone give me a short summary of how rFactor has changed in the last 5 years since I stopped driving? I am not so interested in exctly what mods has come out, rather if there has been changes in the game engine, the game play and so. Of course if it is a mod that uses all the options that science have made available to blow the socks off all other mods, do go ahead and mention it :)

I can't help you with the game engine, because I bought rFactor less than a year ago. I've read that rFactor is coming with a new version shortly. There IS one thing that worries me a bit, and that newer mods are not only bigger (ie more info) but also use up a lot of the processorspeed. I don't know why. I've been able to play the Le Mans 1970 mod (1 gigabyte with all the tracks), the 79 mod (ditto), but for example the 2009 mod by FSR I believe, just ate my processor. And another modern mod was also very, very heavy. It's not just graphics, it's something else I can't put the finger on.

#213 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,828 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 19:03

Chezrome, what speed does your computer run? I want to see what if I need to upgrade mine to allow this game to run smoothly. Also, what settings do you use to make the cars more stable accelerating out of slow corners?

#214 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 20:23

Chezrome, what speed does your computer run? I want to see what if I need to upgrade mine to allow this game to run smoothly. Also, what settings do you use to make the cars more stable accelerating out of slow corners?

First, Tim, thanks very much about the VEH-file info, it works perfectly.

Louis, do you mean processorspeed? Can you specify how I check that for you, because I am an Apple adapt and I am running rFactor on Windows.

Regarding accelerating out of slow corners: lower the steering lock angle. Mods like MMG 2007 are very quirky if you put the lock at 20 percent (like I used to do). Furthermore, a lower lock (I sometimes lower it to 13 degrees) forces you take earlier turn ins - which is goooood. And like I said, it helps with the corner exit.

In modern mods, like the above mentioned 2007 mod I put the front suspension very stiff. With mods like the 1985 mod, I do a lot with the diff. If your car oversteers at entry, increase coast value. If you car oversteers at exit, lower the power diff.

I hope it helps, I am far from being a worldbeater. At the moment, I am driving the Tyrrel 012 in the 1985 mod, at 100 percent AI strength, with only the autoclutch. I am about 1 second a lap slower than the virtual Bellof... so if you are faster than that perhaps you don't need my help at all.

Edited by Chezrome, 06 September 2010 - 15:55.

#215 saifraikkonen

saifraikkonen

• 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 16:16

do we have the Top Gear track for rfactor??

#216 mtknot

mtknot

• 689 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:47

do we have the Top Gear track for rfactor??

yep, rfactor central should have it.

#217 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 14:56

yep, rfactor central should have it.

http://www.rfactorce...I... Test Track

Here you are.

#218 saifraikkonen

saifraikkonen

• 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 21:10

thanks a lot! I'll try to beat the Stig now :p

#219 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:02

thanks a lot! I'll try to beat the Stig now :p

Your success depends in which car you drive. In the 'reasonably prized car' I came quite close, in anything faster (I tried the Renault F1 also) I struggled in the last two corners. They are so tight I could carry no speed into it.

Advertisement

#220 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:54

Hi I was browsing The Gamesmen website and found The R-Factor game. If I buy it from you does it come with a activation code that I can log-in to the R-Factor web site to download all future cars, tracks & modes that people create?

If I use my code 3 times does that mean the original game disc will be no good until I pay for a new activation code? Like I downloaded the game from their website & I had it for a long time eventually used up all my codes & I have to buy a new activation code.

I would appreciate answer regarding my question’s.

No, I've installed rFactor a dozen times from the same install-exe with no need to put a new code in. However, if you download a new exe file, then it's three strikes and you're out!

So you can install the exe file on your desktop or external hard drive and install the game as often on that computer as you want.

#221 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 299 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:06

No, I've installed rFactor a dozen times from the same install-exe with no need to put a new code in. However, if you download a new exe file, then it's three strikes and you're out!

So you can install the exe file on your desktop or external hard drive and install the game as often on that computer as you want.

Thank you verry

#222 karlth

karlth

• 16,257 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 15:07

Short rFactor 2 video showing some experimental rain effects:

:up:

#223 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 299 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:53

Hello Chezrome, thank you very much for answering my question regarding the R- factor very much appreciated. I have a new question for you or anyone else reading this. When I buy the game (from a shop) can I then go the Rfactor web site & download future tracks, cars & race series that get released after I buy the original disc?

I also heard about the R- Factor 2 is that compatable with the original R-fator game?

Thank You

Mouserat159

#224 Chezrome

Chezrome

• 1,218 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:29

Hello Chezrome, thank you very much for answering my question regarding the R- factor very much appreciated. I have a new question for you or anyone else reading this. When I buy the game (from a shop) can I then go the Rfactor web site & download future tracks, cars & race series that get released after I buy the original disc?

I also heard about the R- Factor 2 is that compatable with the original R-fator game?

Thank You

Mouserat159

Why don't you buy the game online? If something goes wrong you can download the Exe file again three times, as I said. But if you buy the cd in the shop, yes, you can download any mod at the rFactor website just the same.

Regarding the R-Factor 2, if that would NOT be compatible with the original R-factor game, it would be rather stupid from rFactor. There's a wealth of mods and utils you would throw away if you say: 'Allrightee, now every mod team has to start over again!'

BTW: a very good F1 game is the CDTP 2005. Damn, it's hard. And yet very satisfying, because if you get the setup right and take care of your tires you can really benefit from it against the AI. Twice in three races I just managed a 4th and a 1th by having a very sneaky pitstop strategy. Often, with other F1 mods, the AI cars just seem not to care that they are racing 20 or more laps on the option tyres...

#225 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:38

I've read that for rF2 old mods will need a few changes to be compatible, but it's not like the modding teams would have to start all over again.

#226 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 299 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:50

Hi Chezrome
Thanks for your time in replying to me.
I did originally buy the r-Factor game on-line, well actually my friend who got me into the game did, I gave him the money & he brought it for me and came around and set me up with the game. I had it for ages and played it all the time. But my computers hard drive burnt out & when I got a new C drive I re loaded the R factor but the C drive was faulty (waranty claim) so I reloaded it again when I got the PC back & it said my code was used or invalid (can't rember the exast phrase) but I must used up all my coupons.
My freind said he is going to take my PC to hook it up with his PC to transfere all the files across from his pc to mine. Then I was looking at this forum & some one said you can buy a retail version from the shop. I thought that would be easier for the both of us, haven't see it in the local shops though I have see it on the Gamesmen website for sale.

Regards

Mouseeat159

Why don't you buy the game online? If something goes wrong you can download the Exe file again three times, as I said. But if you buy the cd in the shop, yes, you can download any mod at the rFactor website just the same.

Regarding the R-Factor 2, if that would NOT be compatible with the original R-factor game, it would be rather stupid from rFactor. There's a wealth of mods and utils you would throw away if you say: 'Allrightee, now every mod team has to start over again!'

BTW: a very good F1 game is the CDTP 2005. Damn, it's hard. And yet very satisfying, because if you get the setup right and take care of your tires you can really benefit from it against the AI. Twice in three races I just managed a 4th and a 1th by having a very sneaky pitstop strategy. Often, with other F1 mods, the AI cars just seem not to care that they are racing 20 or more laps on the option tyres...

#227 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:26

Hi Chezrome
Thanks for your time in replying to me.
I did originally buy the r-Factor game on-line, well actually my friend who got me into the game did, I gave him the money & he brought it for me and came around and set me up with the game. I had it for ages and played it all the time. But my computers hard drive burnt out & when I got a new C drive I re loaded the R factor but the C drive was faulty (waranty claim) so I reloaded it again when I got the PC back & it said my code was used or invalid (can't rember the exast phrase) but I must used up all my coupons.

If you contact ISI they'll give you more activations. Of course you don't need to buy the game again! :eek:

#228 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 299 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:50

If you contact ISI they'll give you more activations. Of course you don't need to buy the game again! :eek:

Hi Paranoik0 thank you for your reply. what is ISI- have you got there e-mail address or a phone number for them?
as I said I payed my mate & he registered for me so when I entered my e-mail address it says "no match for my e-mail address has been found" I think he useed his e-mail address. I will ask him when I see him next.

Thank you

Mouserat159

#229 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:31

Hi Paranoik0 thank you for your reply. what is ISI- have you got there e-mail address or a phone number for them?
as I said I payed my mate & he registered for me so when I entered my e-mail address it says "no match for my e-mail address has been found" I think he useed his e-mail address. I will ask him when I see him next.

Thank you

Mouserat159

ISI = Image Space Incorporated. They're the company that makes the game. Have a look at this page: http://www.rfactor.n...p/#unlocksystem

It says:

If you need additional activations, please send your Order Number (IMAxxxxxxx) to sales@rFactor.net. You can find this Order Number in your confirmation email. You should have received this confirmation email from Trymedia, if you did not or need another one, please visit http://csc.trymedia....pace/index.html to obtain one.

The activation number is not the same as an Unlock Coupon. That coupon is used only once.

Can't help you further on this as I haven't yet needed more activations than the default.

#230 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 299 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:12

Thank you very much Paranik0.
That should work
I will try that ASAP

Mouserat159

#231 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:58

Not too much, most of the updates were very small as far as a normal user goes and most were aimed at aiding the developers.
Obviously rFactor2 is on its way so there will be no more updates now.

#232 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 299 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:27

Hi Chezrome & Paranik0

It is Mouserat159 here thank you very much for all you help getting me on the right track getting my rFactor game going again.

I e-mailed them & they sent me a new Activation code. I got the game working again today.

Thank you once again

Mouserat159

#233 Graybearded

Graybearded

• 156 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 18:40

could anyone point me to a good G27 setup for open wheel formula cars? Want to start playing rfactor again and just got a new G27 wheel....

#234 klyster

klyster

• 4,350 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:29

Rfactor central have a few jobs up for grabs.

#235 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,392 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 16:49

http://rfactorcentra...9...ic Edition

:up: :up: :up:

#236 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,334 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 16:59

http://rfactorcentra...9...ic Edition

:up: :up: :up:

Wow, if the physics modelling is as good as the car modelling that's gonna be one hell of a mod. Gotta try it!

#237 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,392 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 17:51

Wow, if the physics modelling is as good as the car modelling that's gonna be one hell of a mod. Gotta try it!

here

http://www.virtualr....ition-released/

you can find the link to the physics guide

that mod brough ear-to-ear smile to my face, cockpits are great, sounds are amazing, cars are difficult to drive at default and they really are different team by team

#238 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 299 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:03

Hi
I was wondering if anyone can hele me I am still tyiing to get the rfacor game going on my PC again after getting it upgraded. I have instilled some of the car & circuits, all work fine. however I am triing to instill Nissan Skylikn 32R's & the 85 F1's. However when I try to play the mode, a window comes up saying there is a Mas error.

I have a lot of cars & circuits on cd my freind gave me. Am I right in saying that all the circuits go in the GameData>Locations folder & all the cars go in my GameData>Vehicles

Thanks

Mouserat159

#239 A3

A3

• 20,646 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:22

Dunno, but found this:

The track is listed in-game but generates an error when it is loading, typically a .mas error

•Be happy! At least rFactor knows the track exists. You are close, but not close enough.

•Exit rFactor and check the folder structure of the track you've installed. Errors loading mas files usually mean rFactor can't find the mas file, which usually means it hasn't been installed correctly. e.g. you may have included one level too many or one level too few.

http://www.rfactorce...c... in rFactor

Advertisement

#240 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 14:05

I've seen this kind of errors on released mods! You might have to search online for info on each mod and find fixes.

But if it's happening to every mod, you're doing something wrong. Yep it's on the Locations and the Vehicles folders, you might still be doing something like extracting into one extra folder, happens sometimes if you're not careful when handling ZIP/RAR files.

#241 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 299 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:12

Hi A3 & paranoik0 Thank you very much for you help, I will try over the weekend.

Redards

mousera159

#242 mtknot

mtknot

• 689 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 14:47

is it just me or are ISI's own renditions of the grand prix tracks like Nurburgring GP, and Shanghai horribly inaccurate? I can't seem to get any times that are remotely realistic...

#243 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 19:27

is it just me or are ISI's own renditions of the grand prix tracks like Nurburgring GP, and Shanghai horribly inaccurate? I can't seem to get any times that are remotely realistic...

Lol, yes. There's much better Nurburgring, Shanghai and Barcelona tracks out there for the game if you search around. Silverstone and Monza are good though.

#244 mtknot

mtknot

• 689 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:32

Lol, yes. There's much better Nurburgring, Shanghai and Barcelona tracks out there for the game if you search around. Silverstone and Monza are good though.

Hmm, precisely what I thought.

I find it very disappointing how much factionalism there is between mod groups which doesn't really help the quality of mods... why do we need bloody four Formula 1 mods per year? The resources between each mod group seem to be stretched, so I don't see why the teams don't get together or something. What's worse is each mod does one area well, but fails at everything else, and usually its like:

WCP: piss poor physics (wheelspin @ 250ks? wtf is going on?), decent modelling, but very playable out of the box
FSONE gets the physics right, decent modelling as well, but not very playable out of the box (some of the dodgiest stock setup work i've ever seen...)
RFT gets most things right but odd idiosyncrasies exist which break the mod; they've emulated an F1 car instead of putting realistic values into it... thus if you try to set the cars up normally it doesn't work right.

Oddly enough, nobody seems interested in creating something like a Gran Turismo mod, where you have a large variety of road cars, etc... theres one, but the poor team has like one guy working on it.

Whats with Mod teams and their obsessions with skinning by the way? It just annoys me to hell that the teams would rather work on superficial crap like skinning, or upgrades, rather than working on things like the physics or bug checking...

Anyway is this supposed to happen in an F1 car? Lets say theres an uphill sweeper like at suzuka's esses, and I put a wheel on the kerb... normally you'd think that downforce and the lsd would prevent the car from right?... on mods like WCP2010 or simco's GP2 2008, the cars simply lose all grip and spin out... O-o

Edited by mtknot, 19 November 2010 - 02:33.

#245 A3

A3

• 20,646 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:53

I never liked rFactor to be honest, somehow it looks cartoony to me. Didn't feel right either.

There's only 2 driving sims that appeal to me and that's LFS and iRacing.

#246 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 645 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:45

Anyway is this supposed to happen in an F1 car? Lets say theres an uphill sweeper like at suzuka's esses, and I put a wheel on the kerb... normally you'd think that downforce and the lsd would prevent the car from right?... on mods like WCP2010 or simco's GP2 2008, the cars simply lose all grip and spin out... O-o

It depends on your line, setup, track version.

Your right, currently it's a really poor state with good F1 mod with recent cars.

#247 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,828 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 21:00

For those of you who have played the 1985 mod, did you ever experience that your engine power would be cutting out when you steer left or right on the straight? This doesn't happen everytime but occassionally, this could also happen if the car hits a bump and jump or simply when I move my steering wheel slightly. The engine would cut out momentarily and drop 20 - 30 km in speed. Why does that happen?

Also - in the entry or exit of a corner, if the rev drops too low, the engine would also lose power & not accelerate despite I've my foot hard on the gas pedal, and the engine power would not pick up until 2 or 3 sec later, I reckon this is the "Turbo lag" that the drivers from the 80s had been saying. Is this right?

#248 Raido

Raido

• 72 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 21:42

FSONE gets the physics right,

Surely you can substantiate that by having actually driven an F1 car recently.

Oddly enough, nobody seems interested in creating something like a Gran Turismo mod, where you have a large variety of road cars, etc... theres one, but the poor team has like one guy working on it.

Better look around more. There's a huge amount of GT and road car mods out for rF if you know where to look... (not all of them good, but some of them are. And with HistoriX alone, you'd have a good selection of all kinds of classic cars, from Minis to 911's. It's not all just F1 out there...)

Current favorite here is the V1.4 Spec Miata mod, where you get to drive a near-original mk1 125BHP MX-5 in slightly tuned race trim, developed by a chap who actually owns one himself. A real hoot to toss around on any track.

Really, there's a lot more out there than you think for rF, it's just that some mods are more on public display than others.

Edited by Raido, 22 November 2010 - 21:46.

#249 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 854 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:19

For those of you who have played the 1985 mod, did you ever experience that your engine power would be cutting out when you steer left or right on the straight? This doesn't happen everytime but occassionally, this could also happen if the car hits a bump and jump or simply when I move my steering wheel slightly. The engine would cut out momentarily and drop 20 - 30 km in speed. Why does that happen?

Also - in the entry or exit of a corner, if the rev drops too low, the engine would also lose power & not accelerate despite I've my foot hard on the gas pedal, and the engine power would not pick up until 2 or 3 sec later, I reckon this is the "Turbo lag" that the drivers from the 80s had been saying. Is this right?

You drive super powerful turbo cars in the '85 mod. The engines are completely different to drive from any other rFactor F1 mod. Key is to try and keep your revs up as good as you can or you immediately lose turbo pressure (in other words a ton of horse power).

#250 mtknot

mtknot

• 689 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 00:06

Surely you can substantiate that by having actually driven an F1 car recently.

Its according to consensus... I doubt F1 cars feel like that.