Aermacchis

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 15:38

Hi Russell,
As youre an Aermacchi-ist,have you ever seen the Foale framed 250 that was commisioned by the Brew's in the Isle of Man.I saw it once at Jurby road races (IOM) in the early 70's,Ridden by Roger Hurst who at the time was only about 16.He went on to greater things internationally I think.It ranks as one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen.Unfortunately in a haze of Okells finest I had 'mislaid' my camera in a pub earlier that week,so couldn't get any pics.Wondered if it still existed?
The Herr

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 22:05

Hi Herr, No, I know nothing about that particular bike, but I think know what you mean about his longer and lower frames somehow making them more attractive. Have you looked at Tony's web site - its worth a look. His Drixton, which was used in GP's and continental races by Aussie Phil O'Brien was a bike I lusted after when he bought it back but Tony managed to snap it up before I could. He subsequently used it as a kind of test bed for his various frame innovations after coming to Britain. I raced an Aermacchi in OZ, a 67 short stoke 250 Harley CRTT actually, as rare as rocking horse poo, both then and now, certainly in Australia and here. Always wanted a Drixton but never had the opportunity of riding one. The Drixton pictured on the website of the current Dutch manufacturer is in some fundamental way different to how I remember the bike, just not sure why.

#3 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 17:32

Posted Image

The 'Harley' in Australia. Is my memory playing tricks or did it really rev to beyond ten grand ? The so called CRTT's differed from 'Aermacchis' in that they were not fitted with Ceriani forks ( not a good thing), and had a magneto rather than a coil and battery. As far as I know, engine internals were identical at that period (67) - short stroke, outside fly wheel, dry clutch, etc. The monster Ceriani front brake required a delicate touch, especially on that very narrow section 2.50 x 18 front tyre.

#4 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 21:18

Good pic Russell,
I understood the short stroke little'uns went to 10,500!The magneto motor reminds of the ones the Americans used for short tracks.That brake is the same as originally fitted to my mates Konig 500.Never rode a racing 'macchi only a road 350,the motor didnt look so 'lumpy' as the proper ones ,but it went well enough.until the Garda (Irish police) came and broke the party up.We were giving my ISDT MZ 250 an airing as well,all the cop wanted really was to sit on the bikes!!

#5 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 21:22

While I'm on on the case ,do you remember another Oz rider on Group Captain Coulsons Aermacchi 350.There were two brothers,Dennis and Ray Oldham.Can't remember which one it was,but he was very quick on it.

#6 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:19

No Herr , afraid I don't recall the name. I vaguely remember the Group Captain as sponsor for a quick Aermacchi runner, but his name too now eludes me. I seem to be able to recall far more detail about stuff that happened in my youth rather than later, even if later was more than thirty odd years ago. I think I'm right in remembering though that the Group Captain's obituary recently appeared in the Guardian.

#7 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 18:58

Sad to hear the old boys gone.They seem to be amassing a good team on the 'other side'.I think he was one of the queens special envoys at one time.
HW

#8 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 20:37

he was i believe a*queens messenger* a very honoured post that entitled him to wear the silver greyhound lapel badge.
you are still remembered sir.

http://www.timesonli...icle1913282.ece

#9 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 20:40

The Greyhound was the logo on the Aermacchi that I used to see at North Glos/RAFMSA meetings in the 70s
HW

#10 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:37

Posted Image

Found another Oran Park shot.

#11 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 19:58

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
No Herr , afraid I don't recall the name. I vaguely remember the Group Captain as sponsor for a quick Aermacchi runner, but his name too now eludes me. I seem to be able to recall far more detail about stuff that happened in my youth rather than later, even if later was more than thirty odd years ago. I think I'm right in remembering though that the Group Captain's obituary recently appeared in the Guardian.

Mike Trimby?

#12 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 23:39

Hi. I was searching the net for info on my old Aermacchi, and came across your discussion. The bike with the greyhound was mine!!

My brother Dennis and I were both sponsored by Stafford Coulson, and we both raced Aermacchis for a brief period in 1975. Dennis only did a few meetings on his before switching to a TZ250 in 1976, but I continued with the Aermacchi for another year. I changed the colours and added the greyhound logo, following a total rebuild of the bike, so I think this is the one you mentioned. It was a nice machine once sorted, and I had a good season on it in 76. Thank you for your kind comments guys - I'm amazed anybody still remembers it!! I have some photos so I will see if I can get one on to here for you.

Have a great New Year!

Best wishes

Ray Oldam

:wave:

#13 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 19:56

Originally posted by Ray Oldam
Hi. I was searching the net for info on my old Aermacchi, and came across your discussion. The bike with the greyhound was mine!!

My brother Dennis and I were both sponsored by Stafford Coulson, and we both raced Aermacchis for a brief period in 1975. Dennis only did a few meetings on his before switching to a TZ250 in 1976, but I continued with the Aermacchi for another year. I changed the colours and added the greyhound logo, following a total rebuild of the bike, so I think this is the one you mentioned. It was a nice machine once sorted, and I had a good season on it in 76. Thank you for your kind comments guys - I'm amazed anybody still remembers it!! I have some photos so I will see if I can get one on to here for you.

Have a great New Year!

Best wishes

Ray Oldam

Hi Ray and Welcome.

Sorry, missed your post - be good to see your pics.

#14 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 20:19

Originally posted by Russell Burrows

Hi Ray and Welcome.

Sorry, missed your post - be good to see your pics.

Hi Ray,
Sorry a bit late in responding,must have nodded off!.Glad to hear you are ok.Used to spectate at N.Glos meetings many moons ago.Got to know a few of the guys,Ron Roebury,Gordon Morss,the 'Ridgeon' Bob Eva,Ken Finney etc,and used to delight in seeing the much missed John Goodall getting amongst the smokers on the Vendetta G50.Look forwards to any pics,and I'm sure I speak for Russell as well,particularly 'Macchi ones.
ATB Herr Wankel

#15 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 20:52

Hi Ray,

Your brother Dennis carried on with the Group Captain's 'Macchi for a bit longer - he and I rode in the 1978 Manx Grand Prix Newcomers' 350 class, both on Aermacchis.

Ask him if he ever rode in a nastier, colder, wetter race!!

I certainly never did.

Please give him my regards.

Larry Devlin

#16 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 22:35

Larry/Herr/Russell,

Hi guys, and thanks for your posts. Having read all the material about copyright I am now trying to track down photographers and get permissions before I put photos and press cuttings on here and risk causing lots of problems! One of the best ones is taken by a Dave McNealy at Brands in June 76 and appeared in MCN. I would love to have a proper print of it - does anyone know where he is now?? I have asked MCN if I can post the grainy, photocopied version here so hopefully they will agree!

I was forgetting the 1978 Manx, Larry! It would certainly never be run in those conditions now!! Dennis said you couldn't see more than a few yards ahead on parts of the Mountain, and had problems with visor fogging just to make things even worse. Glad you got round okay too. That was the third Aermacchi we had, and Stafford bought it specifically for the 78 Manx. Unfortunately, we had loads of problems with it. It finally dropped a valve late on in practice week, but someone kindly loaned him another engine for the race. Afterwards we put what was left of the old engine back in, and someone bought it to rebuild for Classic racing.

Unfortunately, Dennis died unexpectedly in 1994, two years after finally retiring from racing, from effects of an injury which had been causing him problems since the seventies. We gave NG Racing (formerly NGMCC) a trophy with his name on it which they award each year, and I think he would have liked that.

I have met up with a few people from racing in the last few years. Mike Trimby, Marty Lunde, Mark Lucock, Graham Dixon, Matthew Codd, and Chris McGahan, who I caught up with for a beer just after the 2007 Superbike TT. You mentioned Ron Roebury too. I remember Ron coming off right in front of me in the wet at Gaydon many years ago, and just missing his head with my front wheel - bit of a scary moment for both of us! Hope he is well.

Hopefully I can get some photos on here for you soon. In the meantime, suppose I had better get on and finish some work before it gets too late!

Take care. All the best.

Ray

#17 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 22:48

Hi Ray,

Sorry to hear about Denis - R.I.P.

I haven't retired yet!!

:

#18 Ivan Astikoff

Ivan Astikoff

• 40 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:54

Larry/Herr/Russell,

Hi guys, and thanks for your posts. Having read all the material about copyright I am now trying to track down photographers and get permissions before I put photos and press cuttings on here and risk causing lots of problems! One of the best ones is taken by a Dave McNealy at Brands in June 76 and appeared in MCN. I would love to have a proper print of it - does anyone know where he is now?? I have asked MCN if I can post the grainy, photocopied version here so hopefully they will agree!

I was forgetting the 1978 Manx, Larry! It would certainly never be run in those conditions now!! Dennis said you couldn't see more than a few yards ahead on parts of the Mountain, and had problems with visor fogging just to make things even worse. Glad you got round okay too. That was the third Aermacchi we had, and Stafford bought it specifically for the 78 Manx. Unfortunately, we had loads of problems with it. It finally dropped a valve late on in practice week, but someone kindly loaned him another engine for the race. Afterwards we put what was left of the old engine back in, and someone bought it to rebuild for Classic racing.

Unfortunately, Dennis died unexpectedly in 1994, two years after finally retiring from racing, from effects of an injury which had been causing him problems since the seventies. We gave NG Racing (formerly NGMCC) a trophy with his name on it which they award each year, and I think he would have liked that.

I have met up with a few people from racing in the last few years. Mike Trimby, Marty Lunde, Mark Lucock, Graham Dixon, Matthew Codd, and Chris McGahan, who I caught up with for a beer just after the 2007 Superbike TT. You mentioned Ron Roebury too. I remember Ron coming off right in front of me in the wet at Gaydon many years ago, and just missing his head with my front wheel - bit of a scary moment for both of us! Hope he is well.

Hopefully I can get some photos on here for you soon. In the meantime, suppose I had better get on and finish some work before it gets too late!

Take care. All the best.

Ray

Saw Ron Roebury in the pub the other night...still involved in racing. His sons Justin and Dominic race with the CRMC.

#19 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 20:22

Hi Ray and cast of thousands,
So sorry to hear about Dennis,but he lives on in our memories.
Justin (Roebury) races that old 500 Honda twin(or did) that Ron rode.Built by Jim Curry I think.Probably the same one that fell over in front of you!

ATB HW

Advertisement

#20 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 20:47

Heres an old N.Glos photo.Only a small prize for guessing the pilot.

Posted Image

HW

#21 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 23:20

Herr,

Thank you guys for your kind comments about Dennis. Good to hear Ron is well and the Roebury Honda is still going.

The bike in the photo is a 250, and my first thought was Dave Smith, but I don't think it's his. I really should know this one but guess the memory is fading a bit!

Best wishes.

Ray

#22 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 17:24

Ray,the clue is in the other bike on the photo for the rider of this 'macchi.Think N. Glos/Cheltenham MC/MGP

HW

#23 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 18:17

Herr,

Well, the other one looks like John Goodall's bike. Did this 250 belong to a guy called Alan Duguid? I have a recollection John may have ridden a 250 Aermacchi at some meetings, perhaps in 1974 or 1975? Otherwise I am running out of ideas!

Best wishes

Ray

#24 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 19:02

Hi Ray,
Yes John was pilot of the Duguid's 'Macchi.Much missed.The inquest was reported in the latest Classic Racer.
(Its now online and at £9 + vat is very reasonable for a years reading)
Your memories serving you well.Did you have any battles with John? He was a bit of a charger at the N.Glos meets.

ATB HW

#25 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 19:04

Herr,

Thanks for your help on that one. Got there in the end then!

Such a shame about John - he will be sadly missed. I believe it was going to be his last Manx before retiring too.

Yes, I raced against John at NGMCC quite a few times when he was on the G50 and I was riding the Aermacchi. I got ahead of him occasionally, and managed nearly a whole race at Gaydon once, until he passed me a couple of corners from the finish! He was a very smooth and safe rider, but deceptively quick. I used to wonder why I was making such hard work of it all in comparison!

Best wishes

Ray :wave:

#26 Ivan Astikoff

Ivan Astikoff

• 40 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 16:47

Herr,

Well, the other one looks like John Goodall's bike. Did this 250 belong to a guy called Alan Duguid? I have a recollection John may have ridden a 250 Aermacchi at some meetings, perhaps in 1974 or 1975? Otherwise I am running out of ideas!

Best wishes

Ray

I think it was Alex Duguid, wasn't it? Stalwart supporter of the NGMCC for many years.

#27 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 16:48

Hi Everyone!!

Hope you are all well. I promised you some photos. Phil Masters has come up with a couple of really nice shots here from his very well organised racing archive. (Many thanks Phil - particularly as I couldn't give you too much to go on there!). I still haven't worked out how to get the larger images on here, but if you click the photos then they take you to Image Shack which displays them in full size. Best I can do for the time being.

One is of the Mk3 Ducati Desmo - okay, it's not an Aermacchi, but it was a lovely little bike - just a shame it wasn't a bit quicker!! The photo was taken at a National meeting, just going from right to left at the Mallory Esses.

The second one is at Gaydon, in either March or April of 1976 - I hadn't put the greyhound logos on the fairing sides yet, so it has to be early in the season.

I'm still trying with MCN for approval to use their photo from the Bemsee meeting at Brands - I'll chase them up again on that one! Best wishes

Ray

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ray Oldam, 21 May 2009 - 14:33.

#28 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 20:07

Hi Ray,
Hope all is well with you.Yes thats the 'Macchi i remember.White/Orange.
ATB HW

#29 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 20:16

Russell (and the rest of our motley crew) heres one for you.Double Trouble?
Posted Image

#30 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:09

Russell (and the rest of our motley crew) heres one for you.Double Trouble?
Posted Image

Yeah, what a lovely looking beast - pity they didn't perform as well as they looked. Michel may be able to enlighten us as to who's bike this is?

#31 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:09

Yeah, what a lovely looking beast - pity they didn't perform as well as they looked. Michel may be able to enlighten us as to who's bike this is?

Yes,Michel knows a bit about this one.Its not quite what it appears to be but beautiful nonetheless
HW

#32 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:00

Herr,

Hi, hope you are welll and thanks for your post. Here's a copy photo of the Aermacchi with the greyhound logos! A big thank you to Peter Baker, Deputy Editor at MCN for letting me use this. I would love to get a copy of the original photo, by the way, if anybody knows how to track down Dave McNealy. Taken at Brands in June 1976. Just behind me is Gordon Farmer on the Coleshill Seeley. I think he went on to win on the Island in 1978.

Posted Image

Photo Dave MacNealy, copyright Motor Cycle News

All the best.

Ray

Edited by Ray Oldam, 04 June 2009 - 09:12.

#33 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:21

Good stuff Ray - what's the history of the Macchi?

#34 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:33

http://www.aermacchi-racing.com/

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this. :)

#35 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 16:26

Herr,

Hi, hope you are welll and thanks for your post. Here's a copy photo of the Aermacchi with the greyhound logos! A big thank you to Peter Baker, Deputy Editor at MCN for letting me use this. I would love to get a copy of the original photo, by the way, if anybody knows how to track down Dave McNealy. Taken at Brands in June 1976. Just behind me is Gordon Farmer on the Coleshill Seeley. I think he went on to win on the Island in 1978.

Posted Image

Photo Dave MacNealy, copyright Motor Cycle News

All the best.

Ray

Hi Ray, :wave:
What a great report.You did a good job beating that lot mate,and on a little'un.A lot of familiar names on there.
Hope you are keeping well.
HW

#36 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 21:40

Hi Ray, :wave:
What a great report.You did a good job beating that lot mate,and on a little'un.A lot of familiar names on there.
Hope you are keeping well.
HW

Indeed lots of well known names, also two forum members & my mate/lodger too!
when you even got a half decent race report & photo from a Club meeting in MCN!! those were the days. :well:

#37 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:10

Russell,

Hi, and thanks for your post.

You asked about the history of the Aermacchi. I’m afraid I can’t give you too much to go on, and have often wondered what happened to it both before and after I rode it. Here’s the best I can do:

•Bought in Feb 75 from a guy in Pinner (whose name I can’t remember but who rode at Brands with Bemsee), for £375, in standard, but rather tired condition. How much Aermacchi would that buy you now??!!
•No details of frame or engine numbers. I never even bothered to make a note. Classic enthusiasts would no doubt be horrified to hear I only saw it as an uncompetitive ‘stepping stone’ to a TZ!!
•Francis Beart rebuilt the engine sometime in winter 75/76, and called Stafford to tell him it was a short stroke motor – a bit unusual apparently, but he didn’t have any other history.
•I think it was either 67 or 68 manufacture, with a ‘double bubble’ fairing, 4LS front brake and Ceriani forks, a huge Smiths rev-counter (probably retro-fitted), and rather unusual straight brake and clutch levers you can see in the photos. Otherwise, no other ‘distinguishing marks’.
•After a fall at Brands in 75 left the fairing in pieces, and a chain break which sliced the whole back of the seat clean off, I replaced these with some non-standard fibreglass. Originals were either unobtainable or very expensive at the time.
•It was completely re-built in winter 75/76. Francis Beart did the engine and I did all the cycle parts. I found lots of things worn out or incorrectly fitted and replaced every bearing and bush in the frame and wheels. I had the frame enamelled black and the white and orange paint job done at the same time for the 76 season.
•It was sold in 1977 to a guy whose name I can’t remember now, but he raced it at North Gloucester meetings. I don’t know what happened to it after that.

Sorry not to have any more information. I have a ‘fairing off’ photo somewhere which I can get scanned and may help identify it. At the time the Classic movement was just being talked about, so there wasn’t really the interest in these things there is now. I bet it is fully restored and sitting in someone’s Classic collection as I write this!

Best wishes

Ray

#38 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 17:43

Russell,

Hi, and thanks for your post.

You asked about the history of the Aermacchi. I’m afraid I can’t give you too much to go on, and have often wondered what happened to it both before and after I rode it. Here’s the best I can do:

•Bought in Feb 75 from a guy in Pinner (whose name I can’t remember but who rode at Brands with Bemsee), for £375, in standard, but rather tired condition. How much Aermacchi would that buy you now??!!
•No details of frame or engine numbers. I never even bothered to make a note. Classic enthusiasts would no doubt be horrified to hear I only saw it as an uncompetitive ‘stepping stone’ to a TZ!!
•Francis Beart rebuilt the engine sometime in winter 75/76, and called Stafford to tell him it was a short stroke motor – a bit unusual apparently, but he didn’t have any other history.
•I think it was either 67 or 68 manufacture, with a ‘double bubble’ fairing, 4LS front brake and Ceriani forks, a huge Smiths rev-counter (probably retro-fitted), and rather unusual straight brake and clutch levers you can see in the photos. Otherwise, no other ‘distinguishing marks’.
•After a fall at Brands in 75 left the fairing in pieces, and a chain break which sliced the whole back of the seat clean off, I replaced these with some non-standard fibreglass. Originals were either unobtainable or very expensive at the time.
•It was completely re-built in winter 75/76. Francis Beart did the engine and I did all the cycle parts. I found lots of things worn out or incorrectly fitted and replaced every bearing and bush in the frame and wheels. I had the frame enamelled black and the white and orange paint job done at the same time for the 76 season.
•It was sold in 1977 to a guy whose name I can’t remember now, but he raced it at North Gloucester meetings. I don’t know what happened to it after that.

Sorry not to have any more information. I have a ‘fairing off’ photo somewhere which I can get scanned and may help identify it. At the time the Classic movement was just being talked about, so there wasn’t really the interest in these things there is now. I bet it is fully restored and sitting in someone’s Classic collection as I write this!

Best wishes

Ray

Thanks Ray, be good to see further pics. I wonder how much a rebuild from Mr Beart cost? Yes, a bit sad how such wonderful mahinery slips through our hands - seemingly lost forever :cry:

#39 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:58

Herr,

Hi, and thanks for the post. Hope things good with you. I am up to my ears in packing and house-moving at the moment, but should be sorted by next week hopefully!

Glad I kept that old cutting. I am sure you will have seen Fu's great set of photos on the main thread - lots of the really quick guys, many of them turning up in that race report - I usually only got the rear view at the time!!

All the best.

Ray

Advertisement

#40 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:16

Fu,

Thanks for your post. Hope you are well. Great set of photos on the main thread by the way - just like being back there again!!

Best wishes

Ray

#41 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:57

Russell.

A bit short of £200 that time as I remember, which was quite a lot as I hadn't long bought my first car for £150! He did a great job though. When I got my first win on it at the Star of Tomorrow meeting I was given a rose tree with the trophy, but wasn't sure what to do with it. Francis and his wife had a beautiful old house in Godalming with a lovely garden, so I took it round to him to plant in their garden. He was really pleased and they invited me in for tea, which Stafford told me was quite an honour apparently! We spent an hour or so talking about racing while he showed me round his immaculate workshop and cars. I wonder if that rose tree is still there?

Best wishes

Ray

#42 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 14:25

Russell.

A bit short of £200 that time as I remember, which was quite a lot as I hadn't long bought my first car for £150! He did a great job though. When I got my first win on it at the Star of Tomorrow meeting I was given a rose tree with the trophy, but wasn't sure what to do with it. Francis and his wife had a beautiful old house in Godalming with a lovely garden, so I took it round to him to plant in their garden. He was really pleased and they invited me in for tea, which Stafford told me was quite an honour apparently! We spent an hour or so talking about racing while he showed me round his immaculate workshop and cars. I wonder if that rose tree is still there?

Best wishes

Ray

Hi Ray, yes, lots of dosh then, but as you imply - he was the geezer. Was it simply a rebuild, or did Mr Beart (how did you address him)? tweak things a bit ?

#43 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 15:17

Fu,

Thanks for your post. Hope you are well. Great set of photos on the main thread by the way - just like being back there again!!

Best wishes

Ray

:up: Thanks Ray, just been going through my progs, saw you once at Brands in 1976 on October 9th, you were a starter in your first race but not the 2nd?
results,
1st George Cant, 2nd David Broom, 3rd Greg Bailey, 4th Lawrence Parris, 5th Andy Knowles, 6th Richard Cutts.

#44 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:51

Fu,

Thanks. I am sure I didn’t get to that October Brands meeting in the end. The year ended a little sadly after my friend Dave Featherstone’s death at the Manx, and with my brother still struggling to recover after his injuries earlier in the year. In the end I didn’t go back to racing the next season, though Dennis kept trying to persuade me to start again once he was back in it. I often wonder how things would have worked out if I had.

All the best.

Ray

#45 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 15:18

Russell,

Hi. Actually, I don't think I ever addressed him as Francis, and I don't recall Stafford doing either. Stafford said he occasionally asked Francis for advice when he raced at Brooklands before the war, but admitted he was a little over-awed by his reputation as one of the great tuners even back then.

He didn't do anything special to the engine as far as I am aware, but I am sure he put it all back together far better than I could have done, and certainly with lots of new parts. Unfortunately, it needed a second rebuild by Francis later in the season, after a fall at Brands when the throttle jammed open in the dirt. It over-revved, broke a valve spring and sent the shrapnel through the engine and gearbox. Lots of expensive damage in just a few seconds!!

All the best.

Ray

#46 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 17:54

Fu,

Thanks. I am sure I didn't get to that October Brands meeting in the end. The year ended a little sadly after my friend Dave Featherstone's death at the Manx, and with my brother still struggling to recover after his injuries earlier in the year. In the end I didn't go back to racing the next season, though Dennis kept trying to persuade me to start again once he was back in it. I often wonder how things would have worked out if I had.

All the best.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Dave Featherstone, another name from the past, if I remember correctly wasn't he in the RAF?

#47 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:58

Fu,

Yes, Dave was in the RAF, and was on the Committee of the RAF Motor Sports Association for a few years. My brother and I used to keep our bikes at Stafford's house, just down the road from RAF Thorney Island. We got to know Dave quite well when he was stationed there from 1975. He would test his TZ B on the runway and we could hear it from the garage when we were working on the bikes - one of the perks of his job no doubt!

We used to share transport sometimes when we were going to the same meetings after my brother's accident in early 76. We were both due to ride in the Manx that year, but I had to pull out after a major engine blow up in August. Dave hit some trees at the fast Bishopscourt section on the first lap. It came as real shock because despite being a really quick rider he was such a careful guy, with a young family, and somehow the last person you imagined it would happen to.

You may have a photo tucked away somewhere, dark coloured TZ with an RAF roundel on the fairing somewhere, as I seem to remember.

All the best.

Ray

#48 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:47

Hi all, :clap:
Just received the Mick Walker Aermacchi book.Very good read,although the proof reader needed a good talking to.Excellent photos,and its not helping my geriatric dribbling one bit!
Theres a photo (uncredited) from an NGMCC meeting that could be our own Ray :wave: or his brother Denis.

Its given me 'cravings' .
Unless I can work out the security combination to Frau Ws' purse it looks like I'll have to stick with the old rotary though :lol: .At least the chassis/running gear are Italian,and to a blind man on a galloping horse at 500 yards it faintly ressembles a 'Macchi!
ATB to all HW

#49 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:47

BTW, Michael Dunlop has been entered on a 350 Aermacchi in next month's classic Manx GP...

#50 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:56

BTW, Michael Dunlop has been entered on a 350 Aermacchi in next month's classic Manx GP...

Didn't Joey race one late on in his career ? I'm a bit confused as to who can ride in the Manx nowadays. Time was when it was open to non international licence holders only; I suppose the Classic tag makes the difference, there being no Classic TT? It also used to be the done thing for Manx winners not to enter again and move on to the TT, or was this a rule of some sort. It may have been, as in the late forties a guy called Dennis Parkinson won the Manx about three hundred times....could have been introduced to thwart him and give someone else a go?

Edited by Russell Burrows, 19 July 2009 - 12:04.