Photo

Help on researching a Lotus 34

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Beardog Racing

Beardog Racing

• 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 00:40

Any help would be appreciated, I'm trying to find pictures of Jim Clark's ride in the 1964 Indy 500.
I specifically need pix of the sponsor logos, the identity of them, and any ideas where I can find reference for them.
Thanks...A new line of slot cars awaits.

Chris

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:21

Here is a photo of the car at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles in 2006. That is my friend, Merv Therriault, Team Lotus mechanic in 1958, looking at it. It was part of a Parnelli Jones display. I believe Jones drove it in 1965, and owns it (does he still?) I saw Jones drive the car in demonstration at Monterey in 1995. (Will they be back this year?)

Posted Image

There is also this photo from the Indy 500 site:

http://www.indy500.c...es_id=Array&o=h

As far as I can tell, the sponsors logos were pretty basic...Enco on the side and Lotus powered by Ford on the front and sides.

Vince H.

#3 Beardog Racing

Beardog Racing

• 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 15:27

Thanks Vince,
That's the car, but I need pictures of it as raced by Jim or Dan, they had considerable decal coverage in the race.
Parnelli had his renovated to the as delivered paint scheme, thus it had no contingency decals.
I believe there were 3 Lotus 34's, one each for Jim and Dans car and a back-up, I know Parnelli ended up with one, Foyt got another and I think Lotus retained the third. Which was which I don't know.

Thanks
Chris

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 00:51

I hope you found have long since found what you are looking for Beardog, incase you are still waiting these photo's by the late Ed Arnaudin are the best (only ones) I have got.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Photo's courtesy Steve Arnaudin.

Came across the thread looking for info on the Lotus 34 specifically Jim's pole winning car, wondering can any one confirm if Jim's Dunlop's contributed to the damaged suspension which caused his retirement on lap 47 or was that a problem restricted to Dan's car on lap 110 ?

Am I correct in thinking Parnelli Jones got and still has Jim's car ? Does anyone know the chassis number ?

Relavent answers may be credited and used in a forth coming blog.

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.

#5 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:38

Came across the thread looking for info on the Lotus 34 specifically Jim's pole winning car, wondering can any one confirm if Jim's Dunlop's contributed to the damaged suspension which caused his retirement on lap 47 or was that a problem restricted to Dan's car on lap 110 ?

Am I correct in thinking Parnelli Jones got and still has Jim's car ? Does anyone know the chassis number ?

Ralph - With your quest for Lotus at Indianapolis knowledge, I implore you to get a copy of Lotus: The Indianapolis Years by Andrew Ferguson. This (along with the entire Lotus/ Indy program) is covered in great detail.

I have Indianapolis newspapers from the time which covers the Dunlops throwing off chunks of rubber during full tank practice runs after qualifying. Lotus tried to switch to Firestone's, but regulations stipulate you race on the tires you qualify. A brief synopsis of the situation. A photo caption on page 83 should answer your question:

Embarrassing failure - Jabby Crombac in the grandstand caught the moment when Jimmy's left-rear Dunlop threw its tread , collapsed the suspension corner and sent the Lotus 34 skittering into retirement....

I think Parnelli still owns the car. He drove it to second place (with modifications), behind Jim, in the 1965 "500". He has restored it to the 1964 specifications. It is believed to be chassis 34/3 according to the same source.

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:42

Ralph - With your quest for Lotus at Indianapolis knowledge, I implore you to get a copy of Lotus: The Indianapolis Years by Andrew Ferguson. This (along with the entire Lotus/ Indy program) is covered in great detail.

I have Indianapolis newspapers from the time which covers the Dunlops throwing off chunks of rubber during full tank practice runs after qualifying. Lotus tried to switch to Firestone's, but regulations stipulate you race on the tires you qualify. A brief synopsis of the situation. A photo caption on page 83 should answer your question:

Embarrassing failure - Jabby Crombac in the grandstand caught the moment when Jimmy's left-rear Dunlop threw its tread , collapsed the suspension corner and sent the Lotus 34 skittering into retirement....

I think Parnelli still owns the car. He drove it to second place (with modifications), behind Jim, in the 1965 "500". He has restored it to the 1964 specifications. It is believed to be chassis 34/3 according to the same source.

Thanks for the information and recommendation Brian, much appreciated :up:

#7 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 14:41

arttidesco - Until you are able to obtain the Ferguson/ Lotus book, please don't hesitate to pose questions regarding this history. I'm glad to help out when able; I'm confident that you'll enjoy the book as much as I have. :up:

#8 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 20:39

I have seen the 34 Parnelli has on a tour of his museum in Torrance a couple of years ago. It is in green Lotus livery but I don't remember which chassis number it was. Here is a link to a photo circa 2008 which shows several photos of the car:

http://www.cpgnation...llery-4865.html

The museum is not normally open to the public but they are very nice about allowing tours of the facility to interested groups, like our SAE section, for example.

If you contact them, I suspect they would tell you which chassis they have.

#9 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:00

Thanks for the link to the Parnelli Museum Sisyphus I'll e-mail them :-)

The museum looks like Hotel California 'come anytime you want, but you will never leave' ! :love:

#10 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:05

Didn't need to e-mail anybody the info can be downloaded from the vpjracing.com website 34/3 it is :up:

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:06

Not a great help with race-trim decal positioning but still nice shots of the Lotus-Ford 34s at Indy 1964...

Posted Image

Jimmy's Type 34 is first shown to the American press at Indy

Posted Image

Dan, Colin, Dave Lazenby and Vic Barlow of Dunlop pondering evident problems with the second Type 34 during Indy practice

Both images Strictly Copyright: The GP Library/Jabby Crombac

DCN

#12 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:17

Not a great help with race-trim decal positioning but still nice shots of the Lotus-Ford 34s at Indy 1964...
Posted Image
Jimmy's Type 34 is first shown to the American press at Indy
images Strictly Copyright: The GP Library/Jabby Crombac
DCN

Very nice shots, thank you. I never noticed all the padding in the cockpit or the inner back side of the wheels painted yellow before.

#13 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:41

Very nice shots, thank you. I never noticed all the padding in the cockpit or the inner back side of the wheels painted yellow before.

I noticed the asymmetric wheel colours on Jimmy's car too, also notice Dan's cockpit screen is far higher than Jim's presumably he is a much taller bloke than Jim was.

#14 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 17:14

Yes - much taller.

DCN

#15 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 18:12

I believe that Clark was around 5 ft 7 ins to Gurney's 6 ft 2 ins.

#16 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 13:12

I believe that Clark was around 5 ft 7 ins to Gurney's 6 ft 2 ins.

Thanks Tim, no chance of Dan getting into a contemporary Grand Prix car then :drunk:

#17 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 18:12

I believe there were 3 Lotus 34's, one each for Jim and Dans car and a back-up, I know Parnelli ended up with one, Foyt got another and I think Lotus retained the third. Which was which I don't know.

I only recall loading 2, a green one for Clark and a blue & white for Gurney...... This one:

Posted Image

That's me sitting on the right.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 12 February 2012 - 18:14.

#18 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 18:56

I only recall loading 2, a green one for Clark and a blue & white for Gurney...... This one:
Posted Image

What a neat shot. Thanks :up: The windshield appears to be unmodified for Dan at that point.

#19 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:11

:cool: