Photo

Lotus 33 in 1/32 scale

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kitman

Kitman

• 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 18:22

This is my first post on this forum, I have been reading and enjoying the posts from you all very much and value your comments on this project.

It is a 1/32 scale Lotus 33 slot car, it is to have a full interior and driver (Jim Clark) and is from scratch. The body is a re-shaped and "scale adjusted" Monogram Lotus which was then cast in resin. The front suspension is brass sheet and brass wire painted silver, wheels are BWA (of course) as are the front and rear brass brackets, tires are Ninco.

The driver and interior are the only items left to cast as I am planning to make the complete Lotus team, Clark, Spence, Arundell, Chapman and mechanics.

Jim is without a helmet as it has been cast seperately along with his goggles. I can post additional images if anyone would like to see more.

I have been using the John Tipler book "Lotus 25 & 33" as a guide and it has been very useful as well as being a great read.

Please take a look and feel free to comment.

Thanks,
John Kit.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 734 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:31

Super project, please post pictures when it's finished! One small item...the works Lotii of the era had tiny red-leather bound steering wheels, the one in you pic seems a bit too large. Otherwise, perfect. Have you seen the Revell 1:32 works Cortina Lotus slot racing model? It is modeled on one of the cars wee Jimmy drove, and his facial features are even reproduced in the model. The model is only marred by a modern type tall racing seat, which is easily modified by removing the head rest.

#3 Kitman

Kitman

• 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 14:26

Doc, thanks very much for your comments, yes the steering wheel is too large and will be adjusted, I have the Lotus Cortina you speak of and have removed the modern head rest to get it period correct.

I will post more photos as the project progresses. I'm also attempting to sculpt Colin Chapman today, the mustache is more difficult than it looks!

John Kit. :)