Photo

'Yesterday's Racers Volume 3' DVD is out!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 19:06

Well. it's been a bit of a wait since volume 2, but my copy of volume 3 arrived this morning and as I have no will power at all in these matters ,I just had to watch it all through straight away.

In the interim Gary has invested in dedicated studio facilities and all the necessary equipment to bring the entire process 'in house' . So from filming, editing, voice over, post production, duplication graphic design, case sleeve and the moody artistic disc label he now has complete control and the flexibility that brings to a niche film maker and we can look forward to some great new material soon ,that is already in the system.

This DVD is something of a tour de force of TNF members Gary C of course films and produces the whole thing. Steve Holter (stevef1uk) takes us on a trip arround the Stoneleigh historic motor show interviews numerous stand holders and does the continuity links from Madeira Drive on Brighton sea front on one of the coldest days of the year.

Our leader and TNF host Stuart Dent ( Twinny) talks to us at the Crash.net stand. Simon Lewis talks from his book and photograph stand at the show.
Mike Argetsinger commentates on a piece of US amateur footage from 1956. .....And Allan Morgan ( Cirrus) does a simply splendid job interviewing the great Ron Tauranac.

So it gives us all a chance to put faces and voices to another 6 TNF contributors.

The 60 minute DVD ( which goes all too quickly) contains :-

1. a visit to the Stoneleigh Historic Motorsport show.

2. A film Gary bought the rights to some time ago , that turned up by chance, it seems likely Cameron Argetsinger's ( Mike's father) was at the 1956 Cumberland Airport races and Watkins Glen. Mike does a great job here explaining what we think his father was seeing as he looked at the racing.

3. The Jefferson 500 a contemporary film of the Brian Redman annual 'vintage' race meeting at Summit point raceway West Virginia narrated by Gary Critcher.

4. Part 1 of an interview of Ron Tauranac , the Brabham and Ralt designer by Allan Morgan.

This item alone is worth the price of the DVD, Fascinating historical account by Ron Tauranac about his early years in the sport a thoroughly nice and modest man who was not only a talented designer of racing cars but brought high engineering quality standards of fit and finish to racing cars and importantly repeatability , accuracy and hence first time fit of identical replacement parts to the industry which made them so successful in production customer cars.

Part 2 is to follow in the next volume vol 4.

So well done all of you splendid achievement.

The hallmark of Gary's work , which no doubt comes from a lifetimes work on broadcasting production with both BBC and Sky is pin sharp picture quality and high production values.

We are really lucky to have David Weguelin and Doug Nye producing Motorfilms quarterly and Gary , Steve and the team making Yesterday's Racers. This is all the sort of material that I know appeals especially to the enthusiasts of this forum . Long may they all continue, but they do need supporting in order to keep it all going.

Details of the new DVD and past volumes still available at

www.yesterdaysracers.com

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:37

thanks indeed for that review, Richard!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just one thing though ; the 1956 Cumberland/Watkins Glen film is my own, found a little while ago. Mike A kindly did the voiceover for me.

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:02

a pic of the sleeve :
Posted Image

and about time, too!!

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:34

6 months have gone by, it's about time for volume 4 of yesterday's racers now isn't it Gary ! ;)

Perhaps you can give us some hints as to what will be in the next edition ?

What is the progress of that definitive History of the Lotus 72 DVD you have been assembling for a long time now, when might it be available?

The Jim Clark DVD from the Film Festival in January of this year ?

...........Oh , and when you have some spare time............!!

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 20:15

Thanks Richard!
The Lotus 72 disc is still ongoing. I still want to interview at least three former Team Lotus team members, then perhaps I might make start editing it.
There will be some news of the Jim Clark dvd VERY soon!