Photo

2nd British Race

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 Dunc

Dunc

• 915 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:04

In the years of Shumi, Germany regularly got two GPs. Italy had two GPs until recently, largely due to Ferrari's influence. France, inexplicably, still has two GPs if you include Monaco a de facto if not de jure part of France. Spain is now getting two due to Fernando Alonso.

Given that the biggest F1 star of the moment is British surely we deserve a second GP. Come on Bernie, drop Magny Cours and hold a race at Brands or Donnington instead.

Advertisement

#2 president evil

president evil

• 173 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:11

I no doubt agree with you but the major hurdle is that Brands Hatch and Donington are not up to F1's stringent safety standards.. and it would cost a lot to get these circuits up to standard. I would no doubt go to a race at Donington if it were to happen but I think, in these days of Bernie having races in more exotic places like the Far East, that its more unlikely now or in the near future.

#3 Dunc

Dunc

• 915 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:18

It seems odd though that he's prepared to hold a new race in non-exotic Spain but not a new one in non-exotic Britain. And why oh why do the French get two races?

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:19

Originally posted by Dunc
France, inexplicably, still has two GPs if you include Monaco a de facto if not de jure part of France.

Nothing inexplicable about it. Monaco is not de facto or de iure part of France, it's a sovereign country in its own right, the fact that it's close to France is irrelevant and would rule Brands Hatch out as a British GP venue (I'd rather try to get there from Paris than anywhere north of Watford). Plus it's had a Grand Prix since 1929, longer than almost any other country...of course one it does not beat is the country that invented the thing in 1906. Perfectly explicable that F1 should pay homage to the history of motor sport.

#5 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:25

Originally posted by president evil
I no doubt agree with you but the major hurdle is that Brands Hatch and Donington are not up to F1's stringent safety standards..

Utter bollocks. Donington is an accepted international status circuit. Brands I don't know about.

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:30

London GP
Jp

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:33

Originally posted by Lifew12

Utter bollocks. Donington is an accepted international status circuit. Brands I don't know about.

I'm fairly sure that Donnington does not meet the current F1 requirements. Brands certainly doesnt, plus the locals would complain about the noise.

#8 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:34

Originally posted by Clatter

I'm fairly sure that it does not meet the current F1 requirements.

It will by about April.

#9 F1Obsession

F1Obsession

• 191 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:35

I'm fairly sure that Donnington does not meet the current F1 requirements. Brands certainly doesnt, plus the locals would complain about the noise.

It can't be worse than Monaco, which is only there for its history.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:40

Monaco is the exception to every statement about F1.

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:49

Originally posted by Lifew12

It will by about April.

Didnt realise they were bringing it up to spec. Any particular reason why they are doing the work?

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:50

Originally posted by F1Obsession

It can't be worse than Monaco, which is only there for its history.

If we took Monaco as the yardstick then no circuit would have to do any work on their tracks.

#13 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 18:07

Nothing to do with safety.Every circuit has to come up to to acceptable standards.More to do with Bernies facilities to entertain his guests.Monaco and other street circuits are accepted.Half mile run off s are not needed.

#14 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:13

Didnt realise they were bringing it up to spec. Any particular reason why they are doing the work?

Donington's getting improvements so it can host more 'top billing' races - think MotoGP and WSBK for a start, keeping hold of them with upgrades. They had the pits re-done a couple of years ago now (even if there was numerous complaints from the LMS paddock about them), but it's all good. They got bought out last year and the new owners have promised to get more headline races involved. Would be good to see LMS, FIA GT, DTM, WTCC and F1 back at the Park though - F1 through Craner would be excellent to see again!

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:32

Originally posted by F575 GTC

Donington's getting improvements so it can host more 'top billing' races - think MotoGP and WSBK for a start, keeping hold of them with upgrades. They had the pits re-done a couple of years ago now (even if there was numerous complaints from the LMS paddock about them), but it's all good. They got bought out last year and the new owners have promised to get more headline races involved. Would be good to see LMS, FIA GT, DTM, WTCC and F1 back at the Park though - F1 through Craner would be excellent to see again!

Thx for the info. :up:

#16 robnyc

robnyc

• 5,350 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:43

the general consensus I gather from reading these threads is that for the British fans the price $$$ to attend these races is toooo expensive. Before Lewis, Silverstone was hardly a sellout.

#17 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:44

There would be no need for 2 British GPs. If European GP in Germany doesn´t count as German GP, we could simply have "World GP" or "Milky Way GP". Or "Donington GP". Either way, it would not be British GP.

#18 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:44

Live Nation underlined its commitment to Donington Park's future in 2004 by investing £5 million in the venue, resurfacing the Grand Prix circuit and redeveloping the pits and paddock complex, which was formally opened in March 2006.

From the Donington Site. I know they've also pledged to re-do the Spitfire Momument too! :clap: Haven't been since the British GT's early last year so i don't know what else has been done, but according to the website a new Motorcross track was opened in September - I'd guess it's the one just near to the Start / Finish line but i could be wrong.

Lifew12 would know more about it than me though. :up:

#19 SkorbiF1

SkorbiF1

• 1,250 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:47

Pssst.. Could someone ask one for Finland also?
After all, we've got couple of adequate drivers now, and in the past.
guess not. :cry:

Advertisement

#20 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:49

Originally posted by robnyc
the general consensus I gather from reading these threads is that for the British fans the price $$$ to attend these races is toooo expensive. Before Lewis, Silverstone was hardly a sellout.

I've never been to the GP at Silverstone for the reasons you've mentioned - It's too expensive. Yet at the same time i'd be willing to spend the same amount of money, perhaps more, to see the cars race at Donington. Silverstone's a decent track, but for spectating value for money i'd go for Donington everytime. Watching the LMS cars around the Melbourne Loop was alot more exciting and worthwhile than watching them through the Complex at Silverstone.

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:52

Originally posted by SkorbiF1

Perhaps you should ask those drivers to make the investment.;)

#22 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:54

Originally posted by SkorbiF1

In the 90s there was some discussion about Finnish GP. Some claimed they had connections to Bernie and good chances to make it happen. Unfortunately they faced the reality: with Bernie fee etc, it is practically impossible to organize an F1 race without huge losses. Govt handouts are the only way (this is the reason eg Bahrain has GP). Unfortunately, Finland is democracy. Alas...our govt decided not to fill Bernie´s pockets with taxpayers money.

#23 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 19:56

I've never been to the GP at Silverstone for the reasons you've mentioned - It's too expensive. Yet at the same time i'd be willing to spend the same amount of money, perhaps more, to see the cars race at Donington. Silverstone's a decent track, but for spectating value for money i'd go for Donington everytime. Watching the LMS cars around the Melbourne Loop was alot more exciting and worthwhile than watching them through the Complex at Silverstone.

It's certainly not cheap, but what would you say is a fair price for 3 days of entertainment? I know I've paid almost as much for around 2 hours at other sports and concert venues.

Have to say though that I've paid less each year for the last 3 years, and this seasons early booking offer was excellent value.

#24 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 20:23

It's certainly not cheap, but what would you say is a fair price for 3 days of entertainment?

The £25 for the three days of FIA GT's at Silverstone isn't bad! :lol: I'd most likely pay what they're asking for the F1 at Silverstone this year, it's just i'd sooner go and see them racing at Donington than Silverstone.

#25 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 20:57

gibralter gp.

#26 Dunc

Dunc

• 915 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 21:37

Originally posted by ensign14

Monaco is not de facto or de iure part of France, it's a sovereign country in its own right, the fact that it's close to France is irrelevant

I don't want to get too arsey about this but de jure Monaco is a sovereign country but de facto it is very much part of France. Hence why French residents don't get any special tax priviledges.

Could any other circuits be easily upgraded to meet F1 standards? A street race would be cool but please not in London. There are lots of other places in this country that sporting events could be held in, why does everything in British sport have to gravitate towards London.

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 21:46

Could any other circuits be easily upgraded to meet F1 standards? A street race would be cool but please not in London. There are lots of other places in this country that sporting events could be held in, why does everything in British sport have to gravitate towards London.

I am personally holding out for the return of the Birmingham Superprix. With Nige back in the commentary box. :)

#28 TickTickBooom

TickTickBooom

• 1,043 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 21:48

We're lucky we've got one GP and now you want *two*??

And anyway, Bernie's only obliged champions, so far. And Lewis ain't one.

Finland GP, here I come!

#29 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 22:13

If we took Monaco as the yardstick then no circuit would have to do any work on their tracks.

That's unfair. Look at places like Canada last year, someone was in the wall so they pace car-ed it for half-a-dozen laps. At Monaco it would have been winched out of the way pronto.

#30 miguevaio

miguevaio

• 214 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 22:42

Given that the biggest F1 star of the moment is British surely we deserve a second GP. Come on Bernie, drop Magny Cours and hold a race at Brands or Donnington instead.

who is? Button?
how many WDC has he won?
I would say, give him 3 years, and then, if he has got 3 WDC, I will be with you

:wave:

#31 president evil

president evil

• 173 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 22:48

What about the likelihood of hosting a GP at Rockingham ?? On the oval ??

#32 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 22:50

What about the likelihood of hosting a GP at Rockingham ?? On the oval ??

God no. The last thing F1 needs is oval racing.

#33 president evil

president evil

• 173 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 22:55

Hee hee thought that may be the response. I just thought I would remind people that Britain has another decent track... hang on.. what about F1 at OULTON PARK!!!!!! :cool:

#34 Budvar

Budvar

• 170 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 23:02

Well, they will have to find somwhere to replace Barcelona........

#35 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 23:07

Originally posted by Budvar
Well, they will have to find somwhere to replace Barcelona........

Looking at the number of WDC's, it's time finland got a race. It would be sold out for sure...

#36 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 23:15

now finland is part of england.

#37 Budvar

Budvar

• 170 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 23:20

Originally posted by lukywill
now finland is part of england.

Are you not well?

#38 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 23:24

Originally posted by Budvar

Are you not well?

thanks mate. extremely well.

what about you: have you think for a moment that finland does not belong to uk.

not even in second thoughts?

#39 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 23:26

The isle of man surely has a few roads that would make a great F1 circuit...

Advertisement

#40 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 00:07

Hee hee thought that may be the response. I just thought I would remind people that Britain has another decent track... hang on.. what about F1 at OULTON PARK!!!!!! :cool:

Or failing that....Cadwell Park ;)

#41 Kaiser

Kaiser

• 2,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:00

Given that the biggest F1 star of the moment is British surely we deserve a second GP.

Alonso is Spanish

#42 FonzCam

FonzCam

• 762 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:18

Originally posted by Kaiser

Alonso is Spanish

Sato is Japanese

#43 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:50

Lifew12 would know more about it than me though. :up:

I forgot to add a vital piece in my comment about Donington - should have read 'will be ready by April 2009....'

Whoever mentioned Oulton Park, what a dream that would be, but it will forever remain such.

#44 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:34

Originally posted by FonzCam

Sato is Japanese

PIZZONIA!

#45 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 440 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:53

you britons hardly have money to ONE race and proper f1-level track and facilities. So first build your house and then make one for your dog (read "second race"). :down:

this is nothing about "deserve second race", is just about money. Talk with mr.E , he can tell you something about :cool:

#46 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:54

How about Snetterton? The corn fields are surely nature's gravel traps!

#47 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:56

Brands (under the direction of Jonathon Palmer MSV) has spent the last few years updating the facilities and the track's safety is far improved from what it used to be. He still says that a return to F1 status is unlikely. IIRC there was an interview with JP about how he was happy to be holding the A1GP as a lead four wheel event. WSBK goes there every years too. The investment required for F1 status was too prohibitive

Any way back on topic, the last time they attempted to put together a bid for F1 track status (under the management of Nicola Foulston) the plans involved so much change to the woodland that Sevenoaks district council were unable to reach a decision regarding planning approval. They asked the govt to make the final decision and 2 jags Prescott ignored the deadline and the plans melted away. Foulston sold Brands and the other tracks to MSV.

IMO Donnington would be the best choice for another British Race even though Brands is my favourite track (living just a few miles away helps ;) )

oh and Kimi is a Fin and hapens to be WDC (which IMOis a good measure of best, if ot always accurate) :p

#48 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,545 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:11

The idea of having a Grand Prix at either Oulton Park or Cadwell Park fills me with dred!

Just imagine the chaos on the roads around the circuit. It's bad enough when the BTCC are at Oulton never mind a GP!

However the bottom line for me is that I wouldn't want either of these wonderful circuits butchered so that the pampered pooches of F1 could race there!

The only sensible suggestion so far is Rockingham, but NOT the oval tarck but the infield circuit a la Indy!

#49 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:32

no country should host two GPs IMHO

besides, isn't any new GP predicated on willingness to give cash to a certain midget and disavow any ad restrictions?

#50 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 2,057 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:36

Exactly, no country should have more than 1 Grand Prix. I would rather they restore Silverstone to glory rather than host a 2nd GP.