Photo

Hamiltons Circuit de Catalunya incident

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 k1ngy

k1ngy

• 156 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:25

How do you feel this will affect Hamilton?
There are 2 possible ways, 1 he blows it off the same as he did with the pressure he received last season with alonso and the whole spygate issue - professionally and just got on with it or 2 It gets all blown well out of proportion by people who just want to make a name for themselves within the business (ooh look at me and all the media coverage im getting by supposedly helping Lewis) which in turn stops him from focusing on what he does best and what the idiots actually want.
I am not saying i agree with what happened whatsoever before people jump down my throat but these people can be dealt with and the FIA should get on it quickly rather than having meetings and press conferences and this and that.
One quote from the Circuit de Catalunya official press release is a little confusing - 5. In case of sanctions, the Circuit de Catalunya may consider the possibility of taking legal actions against those who caused the incidents, regardless of the magnitude. Does this mean that if the FIA decide not to do anything ie cancel them from the calendar that they will not press charges!
Anyway thats my view

Advertisement

#2 novocaine

novocaine

• 148 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:41

won't affect him in the slightest

#3 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:47

I think it will cause his fans to create new unneccessary threads on autosport.com forums.

#4 k1ngy

k1ngy

• 156 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:24

:rotfl: That would be a shame hope that doesnt happen....

#5 Chui

Chui

• 1,033 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:17

Originally posted by kamix
I think it will cause his fans to create new unneccessary threads on autosport.com forums.

That was good. :lol:

#6 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:18

And his detractors.

I noticed on the ITV news at 10 last night it was top story. Whip up a bit of nationalism for 'Our Lewis' in time for the new season and watch the viewing figures skyrocket.

IMO, putting this item as top billing above Israeli suicide bombings and bugging politicians was just a cynical marketing opportunity they decided they couldn't waste.

#7 tidytracks

tidytracks

• 1,569 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:32

Originally posted by Buttoneer

And his detractors.

I noticed on the ITV news at 10 last night it was top story. Whip up a bit of nationalism for 'Our Lewis' in time for the new season and watch the viewing figures skyrocket.

IMO, putting this item as top billing above Israeli suicide bombings and bugging politicians was just a cynical marketing opportunity they decided they couldn't waste.

I had the same feeling

#8 Welsh

Welsh

• 600 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:52

I don't think the actions of some 15 or less people in a crowd of 55,000 is gonna affect him one jot.

Its time people built a bridge and got over it really.

#9 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 16:20

Yes! :rotfl:

I don't think Lewis will perform any different over this.

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,040 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 16:33

I'm with Buttoneer

The fact that BOTH Engerlish and Spanish press place so much on these guys show that the differences between the media' is not as great as each side would like to believe they are.
The actual event happened on Saturday and the UK newsrooms had 3 days to whip this story up into a frenzy before unleashing it upon it's knee jerking viewers
Cold and Calculated.

Jp

PS...Lewis wins both Spanish races :lol:

#11 Andy Donovan

Andy Donovan

• 1,015 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 17:19

I wasn't too keen on the response of the UK sports minister (forget his name). Fair enough he's the relevant minister and so should probably put out a quick press release along the lines of "this really isn't on, but I'm sure the Spanish are on it", but the way he was talking on the TV had a distinct tone of "well they are foreign, so it's no surprise this has happened". To be honest, he sounded a bit xenophobic which was quite funny in a twisted way considering the context.

#12 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 17:55

I think it will just make him better and, if anything, faster. Because that's the best revenge. I am sure that he has been subject to racist behavior in the past and while I wouldn't say "he's used to it..." I think he probably knows how to deal with it.

#13 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 18:32

And his detractors.

Very well orchestrated, to make a distraction from the real problems. Israel, an illegal country backed by the USA, which is backed by England.

It's very easy to point ones finger to show others faults. But is very difficult to see our own faults.

#14 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 18:35

Originally posted by jonpollak
I'm with Buttoneer

The fact that BOTH Engerlish and Spanish press place so much on these guys show that the differences between the media' is not as great as each side would like to believe they are.
The actual event happened on Saturday and the UK newsrooms had 3 days to whip this story up into a frenzy before unleashing it upon it's knee jerking viewers
Cold and Calculated.

Jp

PS...Lewis wins both Spanish races :lol:

We see every year in Barcelona that the one who is first after the first corner has a big chance of winning. It will depend on how Lewis qualifies.

#15 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 18:36

Originally posted by volumenzero

Very well orchestrated, to make a distraction from the real problems. Israel, an illegal country backed by the USA, which is backed by England.

So which law exactly Israel breaks just by existing as you argue, law of gravity perhaps?

#16 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 18:37

Originally posted by Oho

So which law exactly Israel breaks just by existing as you argue, law of gravity perhaps?

Maybe you need to study a little bit of history. Then you come back and talk about your thoughts.

I don't want to argue. Just was showing how national interests get before the interests of mankind.

Racism is a bad thing. And it's a bad thing everywhere, even where you live, or work. Racism is everywhere, but some people only sees bad things in the others.

#17 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 18:40

Israel, an illegal country backed by the USA, which is backed by England.

Say what, do you want to elaborate :lol:

But OT I agree this whole thing has been blown out of proportion and Lewis probably couldn't care less and surely wouldn't let the odd moron affect him.

Just the press and overly PC posters running wild.

#18 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 18:42

Hamilton: ''I'm very sad about what has happened, because I love Spain a lot, especially the city of Barcelona and its circuit, and the people there have always been very hearty to me.''

''I would have never thought something like this would happen to me, it was really disgusting. All I've done is given my utmost to win the title. I've never tried to deliberately penalise Fernando, but the fight has been very close and my image has come out damaged in Spain in the end.''

Alonso didn't want to make comments about what happened but a spokesperson from Renault said ''it's a delicate matter.''

Rio Ferdinand from Man U expressed his disgrace also: ''I'm really dissapointed by those t-shirts, the shameful slogans and the black painted faces. There shouldn't be space in sports for such stupid and ignorant things.''

#19 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 18:45

Originally posted by Sébastien

... and Lewis probably couldn't care less and surely wouldn't let the odd moron affect him.

I'm with you. Lewis will have no problems coping with this. He's used to it. He knows what he has to do to become champion.

Advertisement

#20 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:03

Maybe you need to study a little bit of history. Then you come back and talk about your thoughts.

What history to be exact I should study to realize how Israel is illegal? Couple courses in applied political history in present day Iran, Syria or North Korea perhaps? Perhaps you should turn your fanaticism down a couple notches before making an utter fool of yourself, you could pull that lie off perhaps for couple weeks.

#21 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:04

Originally posted by Oho

So which law exactly Israel breaks...

:lol:

hmm, where to start:
Occupation of people.
Economic Warfare
Collective Punishment
Apartheid-like religious laws
Illegal Settlements
Ignoring countless UN resolutions
Ignoring of international laws.

#22 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:05

Originally posted by AFCA

Alonso didn't want to make comments about what happened but a spokesperson from Renault said ''it's a delicate matter.''

well, this is him, he has a pretty big role in this
instead of dissaproving this kind of behaviour he doesn't comment on it. great job fernando :down:

#23 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:10

Originally posted by Oho

What history to be exact I should study to realize how Israel is illegal? Couple courses in applied political history in present day Iran, Syria or North Korea perhaps? Perhaps you should turn your fanaticism down a couple notches before making an utter fool of yourself, you could pull that lie off perhaps for couple weeks.

WWI, WWII and after.

Egypt, Palestine and Liban, to be more exact.

And better stop insulting people ( you should turn your fanaticism down ). The only fanatic here is you.

#24 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:11

Originally posted by MikeTekRacing

well, this is him, he has a pretty big role in this
instead of dissaproving this kind of behaviour he doesn't comment on it. great job fernando :down:

If I do something bad and I say it was in your name, then you're responsible, no?

#25 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:14

Originally posted by Oho

North Korea?

please, show me the relationship ... I'm a little bit confused about this ...

#26 big x

big x

• 446 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:40

North Korea?

please, show me the relationship ... I'm a little bit confused about this ...

You certainly are confused, this is a forum concerning motor sport and related matters not International politics.

adam

#27 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:41

Originally posted by BuonoBruttoCattivo

hmm, where to start:
Occupation of people.
Economic Warfare
Collective Punishment
Illegal Settlements

Yeah, exactly. How about these? Lets hear what you´ve got to say about these.
Israel´s oppression of the Palastinian people is unprecedented in modern times. How sad that the American people haven´t the backbone to stand up and say, enough is enough. History complains that the world ignored the holocaust. This is no different.

#28 volumenzero

volumenzero

• 151 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:44

Originally posted by big x

You certainly are confused, this is a forum concerning motor sport and related matters not International politics.

adam

you're damn right ...

just tel oho to behave

#29 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:52

Trulli: ''I hope that the Spaniards understand but if it happens again measures should be taken, at least I would take radical measures because I don't want this to happen in my world, in my sport.''

#30 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:57

hmm, where to start:
Occupation of people.
Economic Warfare
Collective Punishment
Illegal Settlements

and would you bother answering the question. I rephrase: Which law does Israel break simply by existing? Is it still the law of gravity perhaps? Is you measure of reading comprehension perhaps met at six words? It surely does seem like that. I do not suffer fools gladly, hence I am up certain creek without certain instrument again.

#31 IannDC

IannDC

• 166 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 20:08

How in two shakes did Israel get into this? It is a legit country and I’ll leave at that on the subject!

As for the OP, Hamilton has two enemies, the British press and himself.

The press -- I pity the lad because the press has rose expectations of him way too high that he is expected to fulfil them yesterday. When he does not, they will drop him like a ton of bricks and that can cause his future, and confidence, to tether on the brink of destruction.

Himself – He is lapping up the poster-boy, darling image imposed on him too eagerly that it can be an immense distraction to the goal that he, like all sportsmen, wants to achieve: be a world champion. Like the kid finding himself in the candy bar, there is the danger that he can bring himself to ruin if he does not learn to say no to the temptation of getting into the pages too often and at the wrong time.

#32 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 20:29

hmm, where to start:
Occupation of people.
Economic Warfare
Collective Punishment
Illegal Settlements

The main law broken by Israel is, seemingly, the fact that it exists (and it threatens our oil supply in this way, people remember 1973). The rest is mainly a long-winded way of saying they want Israel to stop existing, or that they don't like the US. You don't often hear such sentiments about countries like Sudan for example, or North-Korea, allthough those are a lot less scrupulous than Israel. For that matter, Iran ignores countles UN resolutions too and has religious laws that go much further than those of Israel.

That it is said by someone the oppression of the Palestinians would be unprecedented in modern times is quite perplexing. One only has to stay in the middle-east to find similar or worse, right now (like the Kurds), or look at the oppression of women in parts of the world (particularly in "Talibanistan"), or at countries like North-Korea that are basically big oppression camps for the entire population. Or even in Europe, we can find quite similar conflicts in North-Ireland (only 20 years ago this wasn't so different from Israel/Palestine) or in the Balkans were ethnic roups have fought over land and power. And then there are places like Zimbabwe, and so on,...

As far As I am concerned, may Israel stand for a long time yet; I prefer "illegal" Israel over places run by religious fanatics of the Hamas or Hezbollah calibre (look at Taliban Afghanistan to see the end results of that).

As for Hamilton, those sentiments toward him in Spain are nothing new and I don't think he will be affected in any way, least of all in his driving. As far as I am concerned, may he win his first WDC this year.

#33 jb_128

jb_128

• 311 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 20:44

Alonso is classy, eh?

#34 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 20:48

Originally posted by AFCA
Trulli: ''I hope that the Spaniards understand but if it happens again measures should be taken, at least I would take radical measures because I don't want this to happen in my world, in my sport.''

:up:

Trulli is not obliged to make a comment, but very big of him to do so.

#35 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 20:50

Originally posted by Wouter

The main law broken by Israel is, seemingly, the fact that it exists (and it threatens our oil supply in this way, people remember 1973). The rest is mainly a long-winded way of saying they want Israel to stop existing, or that they don't like the US. You don't often hear such sentiments about countries like Sudan for example, or North-Korea, although those are a lot less scrupulous than Israel. For that matter, Iran ignores countries UN resolutions too and has religious laws that go much further than those of Israel.

That it is said by someone the oppression of the Palestinians would be unprecedented in modern times is quite perplexing. One only has to stay in the middle-east to find similar or worse, right now (like the Kurds), or look at the oppression of women in parts of the world (particularly in "Talibanistan"), or at countries like North-Korea that are basically big oppression camps for the entire population. Or even in Europe, we can find quite similar conflicts in North-Ireland (only 20 years ago this wasn't so different from Israel/Palestine) or in the Balkans were ethnic roups have fought over land and power. And then there are places like Zimbabwe, and so on,...

As far As I am concerned, may Israel stand for a long time yet; I prefer "illegal" Israel over places run by religious fanatics of the Hamas or Hezbollah calibre (look at Taliban Afghanistan to see the end results of that).

As for Hamilton, those sentiments toward him in Spain are nothing new and I don't think he will be affected in any way, least of all in his driving. As far as I am concerned, may he win his first WDC this year.

My main opposition to their existence is their claim to existence. They would have us believe that God gave them this land. They, the chosen people. That is racism in the extreme. They are trying to suggest that God would discriminate against the rest of humanity, for their benefit.
GOD WOULD DO THAT?
Not my God. My God would never discriminate against the rest of humanity in order to advantage one particular race, the Jews. As long as they lay claim to be Gods chosen people, they must expect the rest of the world to oppose them. Admit they are no different to the rest of humanity in the eyes of God, and they will be accepted.
Israel is built on a lie, and for that reason it has no claim to legality.

#36 emburmak

emburmak

• 2,417 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 21:01

Originally posted by Wouter

The main law broken by Israel is, seemingly, the fact that it exists (and it threatens our oil supply in this way, people remember 1973). The rest is mainly a long-winded way of saying they want Israel to stop existing, or that they don't like the US. You don't often hear such sentiments about countries like Sudan for example, or North-Korea, allthough those are a lot less scrupulous than Israel. For that matter, Iran ignores countles UN resolutions too and has religious laws that go much further than those of Israel.

There are arguments on both sides of this difficult coin. Isreal has a right to exist, but there is no doubt that Isreal has broken more UN resolutions than any other country and that their 'punishment' of the palestinians, individual and collective is unprecedented in 'modern times' but that frankly is not a topic on a BB dedicated to motorsports. So can both sides of the argument move on?? :(

#37 WACKO

WACKO

• 2,293 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 21:08

I think Lewis is confident enough not to be affected by it, but it remains all the more painful for the sport. For a long time it felt like a blessing that F1 and motorsport in general was not subject to brainfaded hooligans that are there only to waste their useless time of their even more useless lives. I hope this remains an incident otherwise we might do the season with seventeen GPs again after all...

#38 mel

mel
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,853 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 21:08

people!

The thread starter asked you 'How do you feel this will affect Hamilton?' and you made it a thread about Israel!

Closed.