Michael Schumacher

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:25

The Strange Story Of His Retirement
Can someone please tell me - Why on earth is he still at Ferrari?

Advertisement

#2 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,738 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:30

Originally posted by Ivan
The Strange Story Of His Retirement
Can someone please tell me - Why on earth is he still at Ferrari?

Conspiracy theorist dream, i'm not sure I believe much of it...

#3 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:37

you read a 7 page story in 5 minutes

#4 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:38

Is that BusinessF1 thing still doing the rounds LOL :lol:

Well going on how alot of his other "stories" have landed him in court for making things up, I wouldn't lend too much credit too this one either.

As simplistically as possible, a conspiracy theory made up at the time of Schumachers decision to retire pandering to the masses who couldn't quite believe their hero was going of his own free will (how could he dare desert them after 15 years unless he was pushed?) and this was extracting a few extra dollars out of the story for good measure.

None of what has transpired since at Ferrari smacks of someone being pushed does it? why would a man with all that money and pride feel the need to continue working for a team that shoved him forcefully into retirement and moreover if he was unwilling to go why didn't he take his formidable talent elsewhere on the grid?

In short fantasist hogwash, and that's my polite opinion.

#5 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:44

Chiara,
That is the first I had seen of this story. A lot of what is in the story is true.

#6 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,738 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:46

On the afternoon of Tuesday 5th October 1999, Montezemolo rang Schumacher at his home in Switzerland to ask if he would change his mind and drive. But Schumacher’s young daughter Gina-Maria answered the phone and told Montezemolo that her Daddy was “getting out of his football boots”. Montezemolo questioned the little girl more closely and ascertained that she and her brother had been enjoying a rough game of football in the garden with their father. When Schumacher finally came to the phone, Montezemolo asked him if indeed he had been playing football. The German had no choice but to be truthful. Once Montezemolo heard that, he said to him that if he was fit enough to play football he was fit enough to drive in Malaysia and Japan. When Schumacher resisted, Montezemolo reminded him that he was being paid US$2 million a race and would do as he was told. Schumacher had no choice but to comply and on Friday 8th October the team announced he would indeed be returning for the last two races.
The incident had been a lesson for Montezemolo, who realised that a secret conspiracy existed between Todt and Schumacher.

Really, Really - Really, I think not!!!!

#7 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:59

I read 'Tom Rubython' and stopped! :drunk:

Seriously, i read that a long time ago, when it was first published. It's as much a load of shit now as it was then.

#8 ZZMS

ZZMS

• 1,645 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:59

same tired stupid made-up anekdot about LdM calling MS and his then 3 y.o. daughter picking up his cell phone... This is beyond idiotic.

#9 i.am.cloned

i.am.cloned

• 276 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:40

She was 2 and a half I think. And btw in what language were they speaking, how do you think Ivan? How could "she and her brother had been enjoying a rough game of football in the garden" if he was only born earlier that year?

This story is a lie.

#10 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:44

Originally posted by Mika Mika

Really, Really - Really, I think not!!!!

I would hate to correct you .... NOT

http://atlasf1.autos...99/nov/1786.htm

:wave:

#11 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,738 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:49

Originally posted by Cheap Wine Alesi

I'm shocked!!!
:eek: :eek:

#12 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:51

I think it would only be fair if you also linked to the story where Schumacher refuted these claims... I tend to believe something in the middle happened though.

#13 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:03

Originally posted by kar

I think it would only be fair if you also linked to the story where Schumacher refuted these claims... I tend to believe something in the middle happened though.

Schumacher also denied parking the car at Monaco. I would rather trust Lucas word over Schumachers.

#14 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:52

I'd rather poke my eyes out than believe Rubython though. To be fair there probably is a shred of truth in the story but the slimmest shred in the world, ever.

I know it's OT but someone sent me this, very funny and nothing to do with me. http://www.businessf1.net/ :lol:

#15 raceday

raceday

• 1,756 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 13:49

It's of course always debatable when a driver is fit enough to return to compete. MS has always had very high standards of how fit he needs to be when competing.
In order to get fit enough after an injury he needed to train and after a while train rather hard. Fotball is one way of training. And during this time of recovering and gaining strength enough to get fit enough to compete, MS and LDM had different opinions of when MS was fit enough to return. Nothing strange about that.
MS wanted to get close enough to his old level of fitness and LDM wanted the best driver in the Ferrari, regardles if he wasn't quite up to his old level of fitness.

#16 Beyond

Beyond

• 371 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 14:00

I think the most notable thing here is that about a legendary name like Schumacher, as for others of course, there are and probably will always be legends ;)

#17 marcus123

marcus123

• 260 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 14:42

Although if MS was in with a decent shout of winning the WC he would have been back in that car as soon as physically possible.

#18 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 14:43

Makes for a great film script, but that´s about all. I can´t believe LM would be afraid of anyone in the Fiat/Ferrari organisation quite frankly, least of all two F1 employees. I also find it hard to believe he didn´t want Rossi. Rossi is an absolute God in Italy, and would have been the obvious choice. According to Rossi, he had a concrete offer from Monte which he decided to turn down in order to remain with his first love, MGP.

#19 stuck-in-first-gear

stuck-in-first-gear

• 1,851 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 15:48

BTW, did anybody go and see the new Asterix film?

Advertisement

#20 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 15:50

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
Makes for a great film script, but that´s about all. I can´t believe LM would be afraid of anyone in the Fiat/Ferrari organisation quite frankly, least of all two F1 employees. I also find it hard to believe he didn´t want Rossi. Rossi is an absolute God in Italy, and would have been the obvious choice. According to Rossi, he had a concrete offer from Monte which he decided to turn down in order to remain with his first love, MGP.

Maybe he realized Rossi wasnt good enough.
After all, seeing Rossi lap a second per lap slower than his teammate surely wouldnt be very popular in Italy.

#21 For sure

For sure

• 37 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 16:26

Why is this old story being recycled? :confused:

The credibility of the story remains as dubious now as it did the first time round. Start believing BusinessF1 at your peril. Didn't some ex-Jag guy (Purnell) sue them for running a similarly bullshit story?

#22 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 816 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 19:00

Rubython's reputation is very poor, but like a lot of shoddy jouralists, he takes some facts (or at least what people accept are facts) and spins a story around this. For example, in the part about Ron Dennis's decision to renew or not renew KR's contract, Rubython says "Some friends..." without saying if they were friends of Ron Dennis, friends of Rubython, friends of Robertson or what. Pretty hard to question that kind of source's veracity.

In addition, he has a well known bone to pick with Ron Dennis, so anything he writes about RD is suspect.

#23 umapathypon

umapathypon

• 2,739 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:34

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
I'd rather poke my eyes out than believe Rubython though. To be fair there probably is a shred of truth in the story but the slimmest shred in the world, ever.

I know it's OT but someone sent me this, very funny and nothing to do with me. http://www.businessf1.net/ :lol:

Great site. :lol: Rubython is quite a character.

#24 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:46

The only thing MS would have been forced to do in 2007 was to win the DC/CC with Kimi as his teammate...

Once again, it must be remembered that had MS not parked his car at Monaco and been forced to the back of the grid, he most likely would have won the DC in 2006...

He made more than one poor decision in 2006, for whatever reasons...

#25 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,019 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:34

:D

I agree that the write-up is poor.

Anyone care to answer these:

1. Look at Ferrari's other drivers in the recent past : Prost Mansell; Alesi Berger; KR Massa. Why was it that MS never had a equal team mate? How did it end with him not driving with KR at all? So why isnt Ferrari not supporting only KR now? Luca doesnt care abt preferential treatment.

Luca wanted to sign Mika. Isnt it possible MS and Todt prevented that?

2. Why did the relationship between Todt and Luca sour? Why did Ross Brawn leave ferrari?

Isnt it possible that the combined forces of MS, Todt and Ross Brawn was something Luca didnt relish. Todt getting his way. Where is Ross, MS and Todt? They are not in ferrari F1 team !

Regards to MS testing, I think he does it because he enjoys it.

#26 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:37

Originally posted by vivian

1. Look at Ferrari's other drivers in the recent past : ....KR Massa. Why was it that MS never had a equal team mate? How did it end with him not driving with KR at all? So why isnt Ferrari not supporting only KR now? Luca doesnt care abt preferential treatment.

he was teamed up with massa and we all know how that one ended

#27 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,019 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:42

Originally posted by MikeTekRacing

he was teamed up with massa and we all know how that one ended

mika or KR not massa,rubens etc.

#28 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,332 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:49

1. Look at Ferrari's other drivers in the recent past : Prost Mansell; Alesi Berger; KR Massa. Why was it that MS never had a equal team mate? How did it end with him not driving with KR at all? So why isnt Ferrari not supporting only KR now? Luca doesnt care abt preferential treatment.

1. Michael never had number 1 in his contract, his speed determined that, the only thing he had written in to his contract was he gets first use of the T-Car, but his pace decided he was number 1

2. Yes its possible that Michael and Jean were against having Mika in the team

#29 crunchcrunch

crunchcrunch

• 66 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:54

mika or KR not massa,rubens etc.

Massa=KR

#30 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:54

Why should Ferrari do what MS tells them to?

#31 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:51

Maybe he realized Rossi wasnt good enough.
After all, seeing Rossi lap a second per lap slower than his teammate surely wouldnt be very popular in Italy.

You must be a very astute talent scout to be able to assess Rossi´s potential in F1 after only one official test session. According to MS, Todt and Brawn, he had the ability to reach the top. But then that was only their opinion. Call me stupid, but somehow I would be more inclined to trust their judgement than that of some self professed armchair expert.

#32 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 20:42

2. Why did the relationship between Todt and Luca sour? Why did Ross Brawn leave ferrari?

Isnt it possible that the combined forces of MS, Todt and Ross Brawn was something Luca didnt relish. Todt getting his way. Where is Ross, MS and Todt? They are not in ferrari F1 team !

Regards to MS testing, I think he does it because he enjoys it.

Where is the evidence that the relationship between Jean Todt and LdM is soured? apart from in Rubython's bit of storytelling?....Jean Todt willing admits that he is no "yes man" and will quite willingly argue his point with his boss if he has to, but at the end of the day LdM is President of Ferrari he hired Todt and he can fire him if he wants to. Strange then that Todt is still happily working away for Ferrari as CEO isn't it.

Why did Ross Brawn leave? he was stuck in the same job for 10 years he wanted some time off to pursue some personal interests and spend time with his family, then he wanted to come back to a new challenge in F1. He had been trying to plan since 2004 for the day he would eventually leave.

He himself said he could have very easily have walked back into Ferrari and it would have been like slipping on an old familiar glove....but he want a challenge...something new....something more stimulating and unfortunately Ferrari didn't fall apart in his absence...and Honda offered him the chance to use his organisational and team building skills to better effect there.

Its like saying to me you can spend the next five years at work in the suture room just stitching people up or you can get involved at the cutting edge dealing with all sorts of emergencies as they come in the door. I know what I'd choose every time.

Todt is still Ferrari CEO and he has said he will offer advice where needed with regards to the F1 team and occasionally attend races. Michael Schumacher is the 3rd driver and helping where needed to develop the F1 car amongst his other interests. So the only person still not involved at any level is Ross....and he had been stuck in the same job doing the same thing for 10 years.....could the simple most obvious explanation just be that he wanted a change and to spend a bit more time in England with his family? surely not! :p

#33 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 22:31

Originally posted by Chiara

Todt is still Ferrari CEO and he has said he will offer advice where needed with regards to the F1 team and occasionally attend races. Michael Schumacher is the 3rd driver and helping where needed to develop the F1 car amongst his other interests. So the only person still not involved at any level is Ross....and he had been stuck in the same job doing the same thing for 10 years.....could the simple most obvious explanation just be that he wanted a change and to spend a bit more time in England with his family? surely not! :p

I don't know a great deal of things but is Brawn's family not a new young family too?

#34 emburmak

emburmak

• 2,352 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 22:58

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall

I don't know a great deal of things but is Brawn's family not a new young family too?

IIRC he has two young daughters. :cool:

#35 black magic

black magic

• 3,838 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 23:27

surely brawn left because as well signaled it was a changeing of the guard he is well smart enough to recognise that. the entire leadership had changed.

he has been well compensated and for his own sense of satisfaction wanted a new challenge to stimulate himself.

is it possible people tell the truth?

as for what its worth rossi never seemed to really set super times just as michael didnt on a bike. any deal at all? not really. I certainly dont think he's anythnig but a legend on a bike and vice versa.

#36 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 00:03

From what I heard (and I mean from what I heard, nothing special!!!) Rossi was a second slower and Ferrari were amazed (as a nobody I'm amazed - the track changes regularly and it's very easy to make people seem quicker than they are, but only a second!!).

I don't know if Rossi could be the next Schumacher but he could definitely be the next Rossi given a chance!!

#37 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,312 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:09

Daddy was “getting out of his football boots”. Montezemolo questioned the little girl more closely and ascertained that she and her brother had been enjoying a rough game of football in the garden with their father

that one is the funniest - she was what - 2 years old at the time or thereabouts, and LDM could question her closely in German :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#38 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:07

Originally posted by Raelene

that one is the funniest - she was what - 2 years old at the time or thereabouts, and LDM could question her closely in German :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

http://www.atlasf1.c...99/nov/1786.htm :D

#39 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:23

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

You must be a very astute talent scout to be able to assess Rossi´s potential in F1 after only one official test session. According to MS, Todt and Brawn, he had the ability to reach the top. But then that was only their opinion. Call me stupid, but somehow I would be more inclined to trust their judgement than that of some self professed armchair expert.

Do you really believe they would have said "oh Rossi didnt do that well, he has little potential".

Think about it.

Advertisement

#40 hobbes

hobbes

• 889 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:46

all i heard was that he impressed people after the first test or something and more tests were scheduled for him. thats all

#41 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,080 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 13:03

Originally posted by hobbes
all i heard was that he impressed people after the first test or something and more tests were scheduled for him. thats all

I am happy he is racing bikes. Curiously his competition seems to be Stoner's Ducati, which has very strong links to the Scuderia. Somewhat ironic IMO. I am glad he is not in the Ferrari, because 2008 looks like a classic battle in the bikes. If f1 goes as average, one team will dominate the championship again, which isn't so exciting.

MS should have gone on - even for another team. F1 still needs him IMO. Imagine him at BMW for two years.

#42 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 16:44

To reply yo the 1st question, why is he still at ferrari? .... to let his lips be sealed easier about this story. Better keep someone like that close than jump around with your enemies....

the whole story is based on facts and semi-facts ... but no real conclusion can be made, besides that Michael took his tail between his legs and said when he stopped where he did say he would stop. What was behind it? Afraid for Kimi? ... Luca had enough of him? all possible.... I think he was simply afraid ....

#43 For sure

For sure

• 37 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 17:01

If you want an idea of Business F1 magazine's relationship with "the truth", you might find the following article interesting:

http://www.autosport...e=news&id=51368

Of course, those who want to use any half-baked story from this publication as a justification to attack Schumacher are welcome to do so, but please understand that it is hardly solid ground to be standing on.

#44 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 17:08

Frans,
I believe there is a lot more to what's happening too. A good point, to keep him close. Because I don't understand just staying there to turn laps for nothing.

For Sure,
No one is attacking Michael? :

#45 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 30,527 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 17:37

Hmmmmm...

for sure :up:

Thanks for that bit of context. :cool:

That said, to my mind, it doesn't in and of itself invalidate the specifics of their theory.

A Todt/Brawn/Schumi axis refusing to countenance the signing of Raikonnen is entirely plausible, and the background they give about Dennis's attitudes might even put "Stepneygate" in a "retaliatory" light.

Furthermore, with this background, Kimi's rebuffs of Michael's "offers of assistance" early last season can be seen as less a simple "thanks, I'll win it my way," and more of a "too bad you didn't stick around to give me a chance to kick your ass personally." :smoking:

Movie fact-check note: the scene in which Michael Corleone embraces his brother while giving a "go-ahead" signal to an assassin takes place in Godfather II, not G-III.

Furthermore, there is little in that scene that parallels Montezuma's behaviour. A closer parallel would be in G-I when Vito tells his son-in-law "I'm happy for you, Carlo." ;)

This inattention to detail does makes my antennae perk up.

#46 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 13:59

Originally posted by For sure
If you want an idea of Business F1 magazine's relationship with "the truth", you might find the following article interesting:

http://www.autosport...e=news&id=51368

Of course, those who want to use any half-baked story from this publication as a justification to attack Schumacher are welcome to do so, but please understand that it is hardly solid ground to be standing on.

My personal favourite businessf1 article that they got sued for was when they claimed that Willi Weber was in charge of an international drug smuggling and prostitution ring. :lol:

The company is now bankrupt due to the fact that they were paying damages to different people on an almost monthly basis.

#47 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 16:10

they claimed that Willi Weber was in charge of an international drug smuggling and prostitution ring.

yeah well, ... didn't I told ya I bought some pot from Willi and had a good night with one of those prostitutes?;)

:rolleyes: But seriously..... This reminds me of that story what strangly has dissapeared deep deep somewhere no one can dig it up anymore ..... 1994 ,... some guy was caught with coke in his possesion. This was at the German Grand Prix, ... and this dude claimed it was for a German driver in a top team.... the guy who was caught was wearing Benetton clothing as well.....

Nothing heared of it ever since .... I'm sure it rings some of you guy's bells......

And THAT story reminded me of the 2007 spy scandal and the white powder at Ferrari, and the strange coincidence that as Michael was present at Ferrari that Kimii COULND't WIN at all!!!! This is all very suspicious....

Of course would Michael not want Kimi to win straight his 1st try in that Ferrari ..... Of Course he hired Stepney to do what he did.... and take the blame on him sothat his friend Michael would stay out of the spotlight in this whole affair!!!! But believe me! He's NOSE-deep in it! He tried (MS) to sabotage "his" Ferrari team so that Kimi wouldn't win the title .... BUT luckily he failed. Hahahaaaaaaa, ...

Don't forget, for the people who don't get it ..... Michael stopped racing against his will ..... he didn't want to stop, .... no no no..... the man could go on and he also would like to have done so. But he always wanted to have it HIS way, ever since 1993 he was like that ..... His way, or no way. And LdM wanted Kimi, .... Kimi came, if Michael wanted or not. And he did not want that. This move forced Michael to quit, and stop the way he stopped. Because if he didn't stopped the way he did, he would have stopped another way, and that way, was not his way, so this way had to be the way. And that's the way it was.

All with all, Michael made a Chicken-run, and tried not to lose face.

But, ... as we all know, of course.... he was kicked out, hahahaaaaaaaa.

And Michael, ... you should never take side against the family again...... just a tip.;)

#48 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 16:19

..........and then ........

only silence...........

#49 B.Verkiler

B.Verkiler

• 571 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 16:24

Man, get a life.

#50 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 16:25

Originally posted by Frans
..........and then ........

only silence...........

I think we are all just stunned at this startling revelation that Michael is a car-sabotaging coke-head :drunk: :lol:

of course you do realise that if Willi Weber reads the Atlas forums you could find yourself on the receiving end of a nice big fat libelous law-suit :p