Photo

Personal photos of British club racing

• Please log in to reply
3292 replies to this topic

#851 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 19:08

Mr Arron and I can give you a fully detailed description of the men's toilets at Longridge:eek:

Before Dan goes off on the totally the wrong track ......a New Year Day Rallycross meeting was cancelled ,due to a heavy fall of snow just after the meeting had started.

As we had to wait some four hours for our lift home, the toilet was the only building that gave us any shelter.

"I Spy" became extremely boring by the time we entered the fourth hour ;)

Kind regards

Phil

Advertisement

#852 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 19:30

Some more Oulton piccies from me, as usual from the outside of Knickerbrook
I have no idea what year, maybe you do?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#853 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 22:01

Originally posted by Paul Hurdsfield
Some more Oulton piccies from me, as usual from the outside of Knickerbrook
I have no idea what year, maybe you do?

Posted Image

I'd go for 1978, but then again I would as I assisted Brian Lennox - the driver of Car 21 - and he only did the one season of Sp2000, after many years of FF1600. He retired from racing after that and some years later left his native Dublin and now runs a guest house in Sussex

#854 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 22:18

Oops, I got it wrong again Dad.

It's amazing what a quick glimpse and immediate posting can do to ones credibility
1. Brian drove a Sp2000 and they don't have wings.
2. His was a Lola T492 and this thing looks more like a Tiga at the front I'm probably wrong there too.
The race number 21 and style of number is right though.
So with my total cock up in the previous post, 1978 is a lot less definite than I thought it was.

Sorry to have spoiled this thread. I won't even guess now at the last car in the Longridge photo being Rick O'Reilly's Haggispeed Clubmans car

I'm off to bed now in a state of complete shame.

#855 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:19

Hazzard a guess at Formula 1300 allthough i cant guess at either driver at present.

Pete

#856 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:37

Could it be Thundersports, around 1985/86 ish?

#857 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,586 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:09

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Could be a Libre race? :

#858 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:12

If its Thundersports, 27 could be Graham Chapmans Mallock as that ran in Thundersports races and the colour scheme is familiar to me .

Pete

#859 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:31

Originally posted by petestenning
If its Thundersports, 27 could be Graham Chapmans Mallock as that ran in Thundersports races and the colour scheme is familiar to me .

Pete

Number looks spot on.....

Posted Image

...despite Mr Arron's best efforts with helmet modifications the Mallock failed to restart ;)

Kind regards

Phil

Advertisement

#860 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:32

Well that one's prompted a lot of discussion :D
Maybe I should go back in the loft and dig out my old programs.
Trouble is I've got to get this bl**dy Westfield finished, the wife's started to complain about the amount of time I'm spending in the garage ;)

#861 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:49

A couple more from the Uniroyal Race at Mallory.

No introduction needed......

Posted Image

....while Tony Lanfranchi exits the hairpin attempting to fend off the close attentions of the Nova Sport of Andrew Jeffrey.

Posted Image

Kind regards

Phil

#862 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:31

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Yeah, I'd go with T'Sports too Andy, maybe a year or 2 earlier though, 1984-85? From memory the Clubmans cars didn't do too many races after 85. The Tiga's not the Chamberlain/Hoy Hart turbo car is it?

And as for the Longridge Gents, Phil, you weren't anywhere near a Cottage were you...

#863 racing59

racing59

• 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 19:40

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
I'd love too but there's about 30 minutes of it and I don't know how to "cut" the DVD, sorry!! The Southern TNFers can watch it on Monday at the Biggleswade meet; maybe we can do a transcript like the recent Joe Kinnear journalist rant!!

Biggleswade? Eh? Sorry, just woken up here.... someone mention summat going on 3 miles away....???

Rob.

#864 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 20:14

Originally posted by racing59

Biggleswade? Eh? Sorry, just woken up here.... someone mention summat going on 3 miles away....???

Rob.

You missed it Rob! Monday evening passed, look at this thread:

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=74373

You will kick yourself for missing it, catch it next meeting, all are welcome!

#865 racing59

racing59

• 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 21:19

One of my favourites (obviously)

Posted Image

And another from 1991 at Cadwell...

Posted Image

#866 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 21:26

Originally posted by Gregor Marshall
I'd love too but there's about 30 minutes of it and I don't know how to "cut" the DVD, sorry!! The Southern TNFers can watch it on Monday at the Biggleswade meet; maybe we can do a transcript like the recent Joe Kinnear journalist rant!!

Gregor, I know it sounds back to front and cack-handed etc, but if you can copy the DVD to VHS then edit that on another tape with the bits you want, then copy that onto a DVD.
Roger Lund.

#867 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 22:07

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

This is the Gus Young / John Fyda Tiga; Thundersports 85. Used by Robert Parker & Martin Birrane in 1986.

#868 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:55

Originally posted by racing59

Rob.

Rob - you should have come, that would have made three PH memebers too!! Look out for the next one, probably January time I beleive.

Nice pic of your Belmont and Nova, not sure of the baby blue of the Belmont though!!

#869 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:57

Originally posted by bradbury west

Gregor, I know it sounds back to front and cack-handed etc, but if you can copy the DVD to VHS then edit that on another tape with the bits you want, then copy that onto a DVD.
Roger Lund.

Roger - sounds straight-forwards but unfortunately I haven't got the apparatus, I give the videos to a friend and two weeks later I get a bag of DVDs, it's like magic to me!!

#870 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 16:41

A few pics from 1975 - another great year for club racing in the north. Some sights from Aintree

Posted Image
Graham Hill's then-mechanic, Ian Flux in Formula Vee at Aintree.
Posted Image Posted Image
This Formula Libre U2, driven by Richard Mallock and here by Frank Sytner captured my inagination at the time. I think he's leading John Wingfield, F2 Brabham.
Posted Image
Bruce Coate-Bond, Formula 4 Ensign
Posted Image
One for "Diz" - his protege, Eddie Jordan

#871 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 14:20

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Posted Image
One for "Diz" - his protege, Eddie Jordan

Thanks Alan.

#872 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 19:41

Oulton Park, God knows when or who. Looks like Thundersports. Probably late seventies/ early eighties, when Knickerbrook was a proper corner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#873 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 20:14

Posted Image
British Saloon Car Championship, Silverstone 1977: Jeff Allam leads the great Geraldo...

Posted Image
The BSCC 125 miles farther north, October 1978: Jeff Allam leads the Esso Capris of Vince Woodman and Jonathan Buncombe.

Posted Image
Woodman and the full, undiluted glory of the bygone Oulton Park paddock (plus a fragment of the lamented Motor bridge).

Posted Image
Tony Dron (works Dolomite Sprint) breezes past Oulton's verdant parking lot...

Posted Image
...and a Dolomite-flavoured quiz. Chris Craft (Capri) leads John Fitzpatrick's Dolomite... but Fitz isn't driving on this occasion. Who is it?

#874 Rob 1

Rob 1

• 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:55

Clutching at straws here but could have the Hermetite Dolomite have been driven by Barrie Williams?
I think around that era Whizzo drove a number of one off races in other peoples cars.

#875 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:36

I know this...Win Percy. Seen some photos of it at Win's place.

#876 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:16

It would have been more of a surprise if you hadn't known... Win Percy is the correct answer.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just off to watch a SEMSEC meeting at Lydden...

#877 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:08

Seen at Lydden Circuit in yesterday's (partial) time warp...

Posted Image
James Bilsland's vividly verdant MG Midget.

Posted Image
George Fowler (Jamun T9) leads John Lord (Jedi Mk6), Dafydd Tony Davies (Van Diemen FR1700) and Chris Scott (Alpa FR94). The Jedi would return to first place within one corner...

Posted Image
Local legend Bill Richards in his Mini Clubman.

Posted Image
Jacob Greaves (Radical SR4) applies a sliver of opposite lock under pressure from Simon Ham (Radical Prosport).

Posted Image
Locost driver Andrew Goord - possibly distracted by Radical rival Andrew Greenfield's kerb-straddling technique.

Posted Image
Echoes of Reg Ward... Mary Grinham tackles Paddock Bend.

Posted Image
The immaculate Royale RP21 of David Brise (son of Tim).

Posted Image
Major cause for exultation - the pink-and-lime racing livery pioneered on Roy Yates's Ford Zodiac is alive and well on John Chaplin's MGB GT.

#878 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:36

Any other F1 "hacks" in the press room at Lydden yesterday, Simon?

#879 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,586 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:00

Originally posted by Simon Arron
Seen at Lydden Circuit in yesterday's (partial) time warp...

Posted Image
Locost driver Andrew Goord - possibly distracted by Radical rival Andrew Greenfield's kerb-straddling technique.

Posted Image
The immaculate Royale RP21 of David Brise (son of Tim).

I wonder if Andrew Greenfield's Invisabilty Cloak is MSA approved!

The RP21 does look familiar - did David buy it from a bloke in Yorkshire?

:wave:

Advertisement

#880 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 13:59

Meanwhile, here's an illustration of how the world has changed during the past 35 years or so...

Posted Image

Copying and moving Mr Arron's shot from another thread thought I would add these two shots and create a trio of McLaren M19As.

Posted Image

Firstly John Foulston....

Posted Image

..followed by James Wallis.

While just to add to the early 1970s feel....

Posted Image

.....David McLaughin ( Lotus 72)

Kind regards

Phil

#881 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 16:50

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Any other F1 "hacks" in the press room at Lydden yesterday, Simon?

Not that I noticed. Mind you, a) I didn't spot a press room and b) I don't imagine many of the Lydden posse will be at Interlagos next Sunday (unless Bill Richards has entered his Mini for one of the support races, of course).

#882 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 367 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:30

Posted Image
Woodman and the full, undiluted glory of the bygone Oulton Park paddock (plus a fragment of the lamented Motor bridge).

And in the background is the late (not very lamented) Oulton Park Lollipop under control of a marshal.

This was held up when cars were in the Deer Leap dip and lowered when the dip was clear, so the pit lane marshals knew it was safe to release cars!

I once spent a whole 4 hour relay doing that, no wonder I have a strong right arem (no sniggering!)

#883 Grip Racing

Grip Racing

• 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 21:54

Hi All,

This reply is really aimed at Pressman, Mondiale M85S and Gregor Marshall.

You'll have to go back to late August Pressman but you posted a video of the Uniroyal ProdSports race in Oulton in '83 with a certain TR6 providing almost all the entertainment :lol: http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=u8YRr-eMFRo

Well Mondiale M85S you were right, I'm Richard Morrant :wave: and I was indeed (sort of) driving that day, and I did also enjoy a monster spin at Woodcote that seemed to go on for ever!

I know that I do have a sequence of black and white photos stashed away somewhere that show the spin right from the Gary Wright (Lotus 7) tap :mad: to the tyre smoking finish a few hundred yards later; I'll post them as soon as I find them.

Some of the other drivers in that race were your Dad Gregor in the Lotus Esprit, Ian Jacobs in the tasteful green Jensen Healey with Gary White, John Stenning and Maynard Soares in the Lotus 7's.

Honestly I was truely taken aback that anyone would remember me at all, speechless, so thanks to you all and if you want to be bored I have a few pics and a couple of racing tales to pass on.

#884 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:53

That takes me back i remember Maynard 'Duke'Soares was a regular at Snetterton in that Lotus for many a years. John Stenning wonder if we were related , he he i dont know of him i do not remember seeing i do remember the TR6 though as i worked at a Leyland garage at the time .

Pete 'Stennng'

#885 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:22

Not my finest photographic work, but a taste of the microcosmic Production Sports Car universe from Mallory Park, April 1982.

Posted Image
I assume this is Gerry M in the Esprit, or did other people drive it during the campaign? Answers on a postcard please, Gregor.

Posted Image
I think I posted this previously, much farther north in the thread: Ian Jacobs's Matra Bagheera. I subsequently tested Ian's Jensen Healey at Brands Hatch, but came in after a couple of laps because the oil temperature looked a bit suspect. He insisted it wouldn't be a problem, but I invited him to do a lap or two himself, as a precautioin, because I really didn't want to blow it up. Thee minutes later, he did...

Posted Image
And finally Richard Morrant's TR6, pictured both fore...

Posted Image
...and aft. I can't recall whether our paths ever crossed, Richard. I became MN's club racing editor in June 1982 and have a feeling I once wrote a small story about the Triumph, but my mind might be playing tricks.

#886 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:51

Will have to check Simon but I’m pretty sure that's not Dad. I don't have him at Oulton in April 1982 (27th March, 8th May, 5th & 26th June and 18th September) and I don't think he raced the Esprit until October 1982 but I could have a hole in my records!!
As far as I know the car was always in the dark blue and white ICS colours (the car was built by Mr Rouse for Mr Hall) and they both raced it before Dad did.
I have the registration at home so will check that too but it's possible your picture could be someone else.

#887 Grip Racing

Grip Racing

• 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:55

Pete Stenning - you may have been related, who knows! And Maynard Soares was a great guy, he owned a hotel in Jamaica if I remember and offered me free holidays there if I ever wanted to. I never took him up though.

Simon - Fantastic shots, you've brought tears to my eyes. That round at Mallory was my second ever race and I was still an over-confident 22 year old (I'm now an over-confident 49 year old!).

And I am sure we did meet as I think you drove my car at Goodwood and you kindly let me have a few laps in your orange Lotus7. It was at that point I suddenly understood how a 1600cc car was capable of crawling all over my 2500cc car!

I'm at work now so must dash, but I'll catch up with some photos and a few stories.

Rich.

#888 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:23

Richard

Must be another Simon... I never owned an orange Lotus 7 and I didn't try your TR6! I'm sure we probably chatted in the paddock, though.

Gregor, the Lotus is at Mallory, not Oulton, and I have a feeling Pete Hall probably was the driver.

Cheers,
SA

#889 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:31

Haha, I got all excited about Parks then!! :drunk: Only three at Mallory in '82 and still no April though.
Would be interested if it was Pete in those colours but could be.

#890 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:37

Gregor i need some info if you have it please.

I have in my last batch of programmes an Entry in a 2 hour endurance race for Special Saloons at Snetterton on 6th July 1967 BRSCC Festival of Saloon cars .

Car no 35 Entrant -Barnet Motor Company Ltd
Car Austin Mini 848cc drivers G Marshall and A J Keefe

Questions are as Gerry was according to the programme the current 850 cc saloon car Lap Record Holder did he win his class ?

2nd is that a misprint and should the other driver be Andy O'Keefe who i believe came form the Herts area also.?

Pete

#891 pressman

pressman

• 255 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:12

Originally posted by Grip Racing
Hi All,

This reply is really aimed at Pressman, Mondiale M85S and Gregor Marshall.

You'll have to go back to late August Pressman but you posted a video of the Uniroyal ProdSports race in Oulton in '83 with a certain TR6 providing almost all the entertainment :lol: http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=u8YRr-eMFRo

Well Mondiale M85S you were right, I'm Richard Morrant :wave: and I was indeed (sort of) driving that day, and I did also enjoyed a monster spin at Woodcote that seemed to go on for ever!

I know that I do have a sequence of black and white photos stashed away somewhere that show the spin right from the Gary Wright (Lotus 7) tap :mad: to the tyre smoking finish a few hundred yards later; I'll post them as soon as I find them.

Some of the other drivers in that race were your Dad Gregor in the Lotus Esprit, Ian Jacobs in the tasteful green Jensen Healey with Gary White, John Stenning and Maynard Soares in the Lotus 7's.

Honestly I was truely taken aback that anyone would remember me at all, speechless, so thanks to you all and if you want to be bored I have a few pics and a couple of racing tales to pass on.

Hi Richard
Glad you enjoyed the video.

If you raced at Oulton from 1983/ 1990 I`m almost sure to have some footage of you .

But I need the dates as I gave my programs away.!

Cheers
Steve.

#892 Grip Racing

Grip Racing

• 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:13

Simon - You are right, as now I've thought about it the name Jeremy Coulter seems to come to mind. Was 25 years ago though so I could be wrong again!

#893 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,324 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:17

Originally posted by petestenning
Gregor i need some info if you have it please.

I have in my last batch of programmes an Entry in a 2 hour endurance race for Special Saloons at Snetterton on 6th July 1967 BRSCC Festival of Saloon cars .

Car no 35 Entrant -Barnet Motor Company Ltd
Car Austin Mini 848cc drivers G Marshall and A J Keefe

Questions are as Gerry was according to the programme the current 850 cc saloon car Lap Record Holder did he win his class ?

2nd is that a misprint and should the other driver be Andy O'Keefe who i believe came form the Herts area also.?

Pete

Well that's a new race date for me so thank you Pete!! I have several brilliant A4 b&w photos from the grid at Snetterton in 1967, with Dad talking to his co-driver in a Mini (next to them looks like Jim Clark, it can't be though, so I'd be interested to know the entries) and the photos must be from this event; when I get home tonight I will check to see if there’s a race number.

In Bill Blydenstein's 850 Mini he won (class and/or race) on four occasions and I know one of those was at Snetterton but not sure of definite dates and I don’t know the other events. He definitely raced something at Snetterton on the 11th June in the BRSCC Special Saloon Car up to 850cc race and won (I have an engraved silver cigarette box); could be a Mini but don't know for sure as he did race an Imp for Alan Fraser in '67 but I don't know when and where.

The second question I'd say that the programme is correct and it is a gentleman called Alan Keefe who now lives in France and was a great friend of Dad’s back then.

#894 Grip Racing

Grip Racing

• 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:31

Hi Steve - loved the video, thank you! Such a pleasure seeing the car again and you chose the right place to stand!

That was my one and only visit to Oulton Park I'm afraid and I was black flagged as I completed my 4th lap there for spinning at the same bend, three times in a row, while not actually racing anyone!

Turned out that one of the rear damper mounts had sheared off (still used the old lever-arm type then), but that's not much of an excuse I know...

The last time I raced at Oulton though was in August this year at the CSCC meeting. My brother races a Series1 XJ6 in the JEC Championship so I hired another car (an XJ40) and joined in for the one race. Was an absolute monsoon during our race but got second in class which I was dead chuffed with.

I've just looked at how to include a photograph but it seems to have to be at a web address ( http//: ) so not sure what to do with any that I have stored here on the computer? I'll see if I can work it out.

Rich

#895 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:42

Originally posted by Grip Racing
n class which I was dead chuffed with.

I've just looked at how to include a photograph but it seems to have to be at a web address ( http//: ) so not sure what to do with any that I have stored here on the computer? I'll see if I can work it out.

Rich

Rich,

Look Here.http://forums.autosp...&threadid=70638 It tells you how to post images via a 3rd party.

#896 Grip Racing

Grip Racing

• 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:50

Alan - thanks :up: ! I'll check it out.

Rich.

#897 Grip Racing

Grip Racing

• 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 13:24

My first attempt at posting a pic (via ImageShack - thanks Alan, thanks Ray Bell).

Posted Image

This is the Jag at Oulton in August (sorry - the only pic I have here on my work computer).

Now I know what I'm doing with photos I'll get busy at home and find some proper ones from the 80's.

Rich.

#898 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 13:34

Rich, are you in a team with Howard Kirkham? He has a Jag the same colour in the JEC events.

#899 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 13:44

Gregor,
I will mail you a copy of the entry list for this Snetteron race.

The car should have been white according to the entry.
There s also and entry for another from BM CO again an 850 in the Redex race earlier in the prog. driven by T. Moore and red in colour.

Pete

Advertisement

#900 Grip Racing

Grip Racing

• 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 13:44

Andrew - Well spotted!

It is indeed Howard Kirkhams car that I hired. Also drove it at Snetterton on Sun 19th Oct in the 40 Minute 2 driver race with Howard.

Following a bit of a carambriolage at the start of the JEC race at Brands in the summer Howard had a break from racing with the JEC, so as his car was just sitting there in the garage we agreed a hire fee and I took it out at Oulton.

Wettest race I have ever driven and as well as getting a decent result I was very pleased to be able to give Howard the car back in one piece...

Do you know Howard or any of the JEC drivers?

Rich.