Photo

BRM P25 details

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:19

I am working on a model of the BRM P25 and cannot find any close-up pictures on the internet or in the TNF archives that show the cockpit, front and rear suspension etc as they looked in the late 1950's. If anyone has any photos, or can point me to a website with some period detailed photos, I would be grateful.

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:45

I would urge you strongly to beg, borrow or steal copies of Volume 1 of DCN's BRM saga (MRP), and Dick Salmon's "A Mechanic's Tale" (Veloce), which both feature extensive coverage of the P25 and its develoment. DCN's book includes a John Ferguson cutaway.

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:54

If you mean a model of the car - as opposed to a model of only the engine - it is a Type 25...

Picky of Farnham

#4 SWB

SWB

• 244 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 13:05

If you mean a model of the car - as opposed to a model of only the engine - it is a Type 25...

Never heard of BRM using 'Type' (aside from the Type 15) so I'm a bit confused what you mean Doug? But in the first book I pulled off the shelf called 'Classic Racing Cars' by Goddard and Nye (any relation?) the relevant chapters all refer to 'P25' BRM's, and they clearly have wheels on?

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 14:17

This may of course be an argument about semantics, this can, after all, be a pedants paradise. Perhaps the BRM P25 has a Type 25 engine.................

I, of course, actually know nothing, except that I always considered it the most beautiful front engined Formula One car, partnered by that most elegant of men, Jo Bonnier.

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 14:50

I always considered it the most beautiful front engined Formula One car,

I'm with you on that one, Bloggsy. Better than a 250.F in my eyes.

(Rushes off to wash out mouth with carbolic!)

#7 Rob Miller

Rob Miller

• 377 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 16:35

The BRM P25 shares the best looking front-engined GP car prize with the 1960-61 Ferrari Dino. The 250F comes third.

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 18:21

All a matter of personal taste, isn't it! :cool:

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 19:19

Originally posted by David McKinney
All a matter of personal taste, isn't it!

Maybe we could ask 'Picky of Farnham'?

I also like the look of the BRM, it did have a certain style, an element of 'difference' about it that made it stand out in its day. Just as the '62 1.5 cars did.

#10 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 19:39

Posted Image
[/URL]

Paul M

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 22:30

Sorry fellers - I was one of the first to start using the 'P25' designation but I was also the first to appreicate I'd cocked it up. The chassis design was allocated P27, the engine only was P25. The overall car combination of P25 engine and P27 chassis then became the 'Type 25' 2.5-litre Fomrula 1 car.

Pedantry lives.

NCD

#12 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 23:10

One of my original desires when I started this thread was to accurately model the type 25...for example I was trying to find out the color of the cockpit chassis framework, as well as trying to verify that the rear springs were red as I had seen in some of the period photos. Macca's cockpit photo shows the frame to be black, but was it that color back in the day? I have seen some photo fragments that make it appear gray. As for the rear suspension, I have seen old photos of other cars that have red shocks but not red springs. Obscure questions I realize, but I want to be accurate.

#13 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 23:25

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Sorry fellers - I was one of the first to start using the 'P25' designation but I was also the first to appreicate I'd cocked it up. The chassis design was allocated P27, the engine only was P25. The overall car combination of P25 engine and P27 chassis then became the 'Type 25' 2.5-litre Fomrula 1 car.

Pedantry lives.

NCD

Is that the stressed skin, or the space frame chassis?

#14 SWB

SWB

• 244 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:16

Macca's cockpit photo shows the frame to be black, but was it that color back in the day?

In A.Pritchard's book 'Grand Prix Reflections' there is a page with three B&W period pictures of the Type 25 (one great one with the tail cover removed and showing the fuel tank, suspension, and rear disc brake cooling system). The chassis frame in the cockpit picture is definitely very dark paint (black?) and the engine bay shot shows a well worn paint finish on the chassis tubes, one of the tubes being mostly bare metal. All the tubes show some sign of paint chips so it wasn't nearly as immaculate as the above photo.