• Please log in to reply
535 replies to this topic

#501 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,736 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:14

Originally posted by kar
I think I have an impending avatar change due :cry:

:lol: you could have probably stayed quiet and gotten away with that one ;) ;)

Advertisement

#502 Arion

Arion

• 2,345 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:15

Originally posted by kar

I'm looking forward to it :p

#503 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 13:16

Originally posted by Mika Mika

:lol: you could have probably stayed quiet and gotten away with that one ;) ;)

I have a big mouth, but I'm happy to wear the yolk that sometimes comes with it :-)

#504 Owen

Owen

• 10,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:28

Originally posted by kar

I have a big mouth, but I'm happy to wear the yolk that sometimes comes with it :-)

What's going on the avatar? Not being funny, just can't remember what you mentioned would be on it.

#505 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,045 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:30

I know my sentiments will run counter to many Ferrari bretheren here, but I'm pleased Ron will remain at the helm. Love him or loathe him, he's as much a part of the modern F1 fabric as anyone, and has been a key figure is shaping F1 and McLaren. Whatever, I'd hate to see him suffer the ignomity of being "forced" or "nudged" or "persuaded" out of the sport.

#506 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:48

Originally posted by Owen

What's going on the avatar? Not being funny, just can't remember what you mentioned would be on it.

LifeW and I (where has he been actually - I'm sure he'll be back shortly) had a small wager about the nature of McLaren's ownership staying in Dennis' hands. With Dennis set then to stay on it's pretty clear my belief Merc were going to take over was a bit presumptuous.

The wager was if I was right LifeW would wear a Jean Todt avatar. And if I were wrong it would be Lewis Hamilton for mine :-)

Urgh :)

#507 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 14:50

Originally posted by Scudetto
I know my sentiments will run counter to many Ferrari bretheren here, but I'm pleased Ron will remain at the helm.

Not really, given that McLaren's managerial incompetence last season handed us the two championships on a silver (pardon the pun) platter It's probably good news he's going to be around for another season.

What remains to be seen though is if McLaren are galvanised to give a rip roaring send-off for Ron or whether it will allow tensions from last year to continue simmering.

I'm not sure which one it will be.

#508 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 15:06

Originally posted by Orin
Fantastic news! :clap:

I suspect he would have liked to have stepped back, but it would have just given credence to all the bullshit stories flying around. Let's hope McLaren can send him off with a 2008 WCC. :up: :up:

:clap: :clap: Excellent news and I agree with the WCC bit but not about him being given a send-off; I'd like him to stay on. And a WDC would be nice too.

#509 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,551 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 15:29

Originally posted by vsubravet

:clap: :clap: Excellent news and I agree with the WCC bit but not about him being given a send-off; I'd like him to stay on. And a WDC would be nice too.

This is Ron Dennis...he wants 1-2 every race and both championships ;)

I wonder if he's decided to stay because he can see the car is good enough to get revenege and go out on a high?

Hopefully he'll be a bit cooler about it this year and not gift it to Ferrari with strategy cockups as kar said. I think McLaren will be the most motivated they've ever been, if they're 1-2 tenths behind on the car I think it'll be very very close.

#510 512 TR

512 TR

• 2,205 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 15:31

Ron staying put = bad new for Heikki...

#511 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 15:34

Originally posted by 512 TR

that is what I thought also. Although I still think Lewis is far more talented than Heikki with Ron or without Ron.

#512 Owen

Owen

• 10,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 15:38

Originally posted by kar

LifeW and I (where has he been actually - I'm sure he'll be back shortly) had a small wager about the nature of McLaren's ownership staying in Dennis' hands. With Dennis set then to stay on it's pretty clear my belief Merc were going to take over was a bit presumptuous.

The wager was if I was right LifeW would wear a Jean Todt avatar. And if I were wrong it would be Lewis Hamilton for mine :-)

:lol: I see.

#513 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 15:45

Originally posted by kar

Wagers can be dangerous things ;) I bet my brother at the beginning of 2007 that I was so confident of Ferrari winning both WDC and WCC I'd have the winning constructors logo tattooed on my back. As you can imagine I spent most of last season up until spygate panicking about what the hell I had gotten into :p

Do we get to choose your avatar? :D My best friend is a Hamilton fan I'm sure I could find you something very cheesy :p

#514 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,175 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:00

Originally posted by 512 TR

Hmmm I don't know about that.
I still think that, had Alonso been a little more Schumacher-esque in his attitude and not let his emotions and the "everybody-hates-me-nobody-loves-me" attitude get in his way, he could have taken the championship and overall galvanised at least a part of the team around him and stuck it out.

We'll never know.

But I don't see Heikki as that sort of character. McLaren has a good history with Finns, and this one seems like a likeable, quick guy. Even if he is as quick as Lewis, he doesn't have the 2xWDC chip on his shoulder that Alonso had, so he won't feel that he deserves any kind of special treatment one way or the other.

#515 hobbes

hobbes

• 889 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:38

I know my sentiments will run counter to many Ferrari bretheren here, but I'm pleased Ron will remain at the helm. Love him or loathe him, he's as much a part of the modern F1 fabric as anyone, and has been a key figure is shaping F1 and McLaren. Whatever, I'd hate to see him suffer the ignomity of being "forced" or "nudged" or "persuaded" out of the sport.

:up:

#516 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:41

Excellent :clap:

Another year with this laughing stock running the company (well, when he doesn't just roll out Whitmarsh to stand behind).

As a Ferrari fan, I couldn't be happier :lol:

#517 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,526 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 16:52

Originally posted by Perigee
Ben Johnson - 1984 Olympic 100m Champion*
* (on track)

Ben Johnson came 3rd in the 100M in 1984. Carl Lewis won in 1984.

#518 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 17:19

Originally posted by F1Johnny

Ben Johnson came 3rd in the 100M in 1984. Carl Lewis won in 1984.

Was a different story in Seoul 88 though, which is the race he was referring to.

#519 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,526 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 17:25

Originally posted by kar

Was a different story in Seoul 88 though, which is the race he was referring to.

I know. I was pointing out the error.

Advertisement

#520 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 17:39

Originally posted by F1Johnny

I know. I was pointing out the error.

Fair enuff :)

#521 Cadence

Cadence

• 5,008 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 18:41

You're a classy guy Scud's. :up:

#522 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,703 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:36

At the risk of sounding like a troll, would any of the Ferrari fans who said Ron is a shit team owner who has brought the McLaren team to ruin and should quit now for the good of the team... like to eat humble pie and admit they were wrong?

#523 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:16

Originally posted by alfa1
At the risk of sounding like a troll, would any of the Ferrari fans who said Ron is a shit team owner who has brought the McLaren team to ruin and should quit now for the good of the team... like to eat humble pie and admit they were wrong?

:up:

not many reactions to your request... I think many people are having stomach pains and headaches trying to digest todays race.

by the way he (RD) commented on these rumours saying that people should not forget that he is not an employee.

#524 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,277 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 19:53

Originally posted by alfa1

Who said that? I dont' recall anyone saying that

#525 kar

kar

• 10,304 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 13:28

Originally posted by kar

:cry:

#526 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 14:04

I think RD will quit after this year if McLaren have a good season.

#527 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 810 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 15:05

RD seems to be reaching out a little to Ferrari, making complements about their new Team Principal (which were returned). I suspect that if McLaren have a really good year, then RD may retire. On the other hand, he may be so invigorated by success that he stays on.

If they don't have a good year, then I think he might turn it over to Martin and move on.

#528 femi

femi

• 6,041 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 15:16

Originally posted by MarkWRX
RD seems to be reaching out a little to Ferrari, making complements about their new Team Principal (which were returned). I suspect that if McLaren have a really good year, then RD may retire. On the other hand, he may be so invigorated by success that he stays on.

If they don't have a good year, then I think he might turn it over to Martin and move on.

Ferrari made overtures first and that should not be translated as a weakness. They just seem to have more sense than a few of their supporters.

#529 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 20:28

Originally posted by femi

Ferrari made overtures first and that should not be translated as a weakness. They just seem to have more sense than a few of their supporters.

Ferrari without Todt seem just be a bit more human, the Tifosi are another matter

Ron has other non-McLaren problems which are not easy to deal with at the big 60.

#530 Chiara

Chiara

• 1,847 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 21:00

Originally posted by britishtrident

Ferrari without Todt seem just be a bit more human, the Tifosi are another matter

Ron has other non-McLaren problems which are not easy to deal with at the big 60.

Can I just ask out of curiousity, do you really think and believe all tifosi are hateful creatures? I have no intention of starting a flame war, I'm just curious about an opinion express by some members on this forum and what the reasoning behind it is.

From a personal perspective being a tifosa, I find that a bit of a mass generalisation. I have many other friends who support other teams, and have been to many Grand Prix and sat next to fans from other teams and had a great time enjoying their conversation and perspective on things. Likewise I joined this forum for a better understanding and varied view point. Some of the people's opinions I respect most on here don't always happen to be Ferrari fans. Three of my most respected friends support other teams, two support McLaren and one Renault...and we have always got on fine.

Even on this forum I believe there are tifosi that are reasonable and level-headed. So I guess I'm just curious why you are giving them all a bad press, as opposed to accepting that all teams/drivers have their fair share of fanatical support (naming no names of course).

Is it just based on your experience on internet forums or in the wider world? :

#531 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,551 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 21:34

Originally posted by Chiara

Can I just ask out of curiousity, do you really think and believe all tifosi are hateful creatures? I have no intention of starting a flame war, I'm just curious about an opinion express by some members on this forum and what the reasoning behind it is.

From a personal perspective being a tifosa, I find that a bit of a mass generalisation. I have many other friends who support other teams, and have been to many Grand Prix and sat next to fans from other teams and had a great time enjoying their conversation and perspective on things. Likewise I joined this forum for a better understanding and varied view point. Some of the people's opinions I respect most on here don't always happen to be Ferrari fans. Three of my most respected friends support other teams, two support McLaren and one Renault...and we have always got on fine.

Even on this forum I believe there are tifosi that are reasonable and level-headed. So I guess I'm just curious why you are giving them all a bad press, as opposed to accepting that all teams/drivers have their fair share of fanatical support (naming no names of course).

Is it just based on your experience on internet forums or in the wider world? :

:up: There are many sporting Tifosi, in fact personally I don't credit the bashers/haters/hope-we-dominate crowd with being Tifosi at all - just because they support Ferrari, they are more hangers-on IMO.

Sporting fans of all the teams and drivers who enjoy the racing and respect the others are basically on the same side, I think.

#532 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,769 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 21:52

Prostate problems? :confused:

#533 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 00:03

Originally posted by Chiara
Can I just ask out of curiousity, do you really think and believe all tifosi are hateful creatures?

Can I chime in, no, blast! Fine, next time then.

#534 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 13:33

Originally posted by Suntrek

Prostate problems? :confused:

Divorce ):

#535 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 13:39

Originally posted by undersquare

:up: There are many sporting Tifosi, in fact personally I don't credit the bashers/haters/hope-we-dominate crowd with being Tifosi at all - just because they support Ferrari, they are more hangers-on IMO.

Sporting fans of all the teams and drivers who enjoy the racing and respect the others are basically on the same side, I think.

From the evidence here and elsewhere over the last year particularly they have much in common with Manchester United fans, in essence they see sport as an excuse for tribal warfare they are only interested in wining and total domination by any means.

#536 Anomander

Anomander

• 535 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 13:49

From the evidence here and elsewhere over the last year particularly they have much in common with Manchester United fans, in essence they see sport as an excuse for tribal warfare they are only interested in wining and total domination by any means.

Agree, in my years off watching F1, I've supported many different teams, when I was small I got interested due to Nigel Mansell in a Ferrari, so also at that time also supported Ferrari, I supported Mansell in a Williams so was supporting that team thou I had a soft spot for Michelle Albereto, I also was cheering on Lotus at the time with Johny Herbert in it, I was then wanting DH and soft sport for Eddie Irvine and Jordan JV and some of the small teams of the time to the present day with McLaren first.

But what turned us of most about Ferrari was the extreme fans always going on about domination and that the sport would not exist if it wasn't for us and putting Italian words in their sigs even thou the nearest most have got to Italy is a pizza.