Photo

So who will win races in 08?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: So who will win races in 08? (191 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Only Ferrari (8 votes [4.19%])

Percentage of vote: 4.19%

2. Only McLaren (2 votes [1.05%])

Percentage of vote: 1.05%

3. Ferrari & McLaren (71 votes [37.17%])

Percentage of vote: 37.17%

4. Ferrari, McLaren & BMW (35 votes [18.32%])

Percentage of vote: 18.32%

5. Ferrari, McLaren & Renault (29 votes [15.18%])

Percentage of vote: 15.18%

6. Ferrari, McLaren & Williams (22 votes [11.52%])

Percentage of vote: 11.52%

7. Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW, Renault & Williams (18 votes [9.42%])

Percentage of vote: 9.42%

8. Other (please state) (6 votes [3.14%])

Percentage of vote: 3.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:49

We've seen the testing, which team(s) will be winning races in 2008?

Advertisement

#2 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:09

Ferrari and McLaren will surely be the sole protagonists for the WDC and WCC. But BMW and Renault might win the odd race, too. Williams is still a bit too far fetched, I reckon.

#3 an1res

an1res

• 508 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:35

I voted "other".

I don't think McLaren will win. Ferrari, BMW and Renault will.

#4 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:03

With four faster cars in the field, anyone but McLaren and Ferrari will need a major roll of the dice.

McLaren and Ferrari are too close for one to lock out the other at all the races.

#5 CWeil

CWeil

• 1,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:09

It absolutely won't happen this year, but I'm going to go ahead and vote that Kazuki Nakajima wins one for Williams, just so if it happens I can gloat ridiculously.

#6 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:17

Oh dear - I've voted the same as the masses.

Hard to think of a scenario whereby anybody other than Ferrari or McLaRon win a race. Even as a Ferrari fan I would like to see a different (non-McLaren!) team win (well, prob not on the day of the race), and would be pleased to see a Williams victory.

I guess a suitably ker-razy wet weather race might do it.

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:46

Ferrari and McLaren win all races except a safety-car-crazy one at a street circuit that goes Williams' way.

#8 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:48

Ferrari, McLaren and Renault.

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:50

On merit I can only see Mac and Ferrari winning.

#10 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:02

Maybe BMW can spring a surprise (I'm still sceptical about those aero gizmos), but I can't see anyone other than Ferrari & McLaren winning: bulletproof reliability and 4 top drivers should make it very hard for other teams even to visit the podium - unless, of course, we get another rainy season. :)

#11 SennasCat

SennasCat

• 1,304 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:42

As big a fan as I am (and since Jones times was a fan of) Frank, and Rosberg's ever improving performance, I think that Williams are the best chance outside of the big 2 to win a race. It will be a lucky one that they jag for a win (eg first corner shunt, bout of unreliablity from opposition, favourable weather, where they are best of the rest when they are handing luck out.

Without any real knowledge I have a gut feeling BMW will go backwards. Red Bull will be where they should have been last year, close to the best of the rest (and no it's not Webber-bias kicking in) - even Coulthard who is a much better Sunday guy than Saturday guy, has been pedalling it quickly, consistently and most importantly, reliably.

Renno to be right up to Williams, prolly just ahead of RBR > BMW > Toyota > The rest. Too close to call atm but I think that the lead drivers of both teams will really start to put the distance between themselves and teammates.

Loking forward to it - cutting to the chase, Ferrari definitely, McLaren definitely (it will be interesting to see how Kova goes - probably better than expected but will prove himself to be good #2 material like Rubens. Uncle Frank as the guy most likely, say 10 to 20% of getting a lucky win. For the rest, stranger things have happend but not too much. I also think Nelsinho will be a bit of a disappointment. I understand it's not the most popular opinion, but from what I have seen of him in feeder categories, I just don't think he's that quick or consistent. B+ sorta guy if ever I have seen one. Fernando will have no trouble disposing of him.

#12 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:01

I would like to see at least one victory go to a team other than Ferrari or Maclaren this year. I think it will be a big ask for BMW, Williams, RBR, Renault or Toyota to make the step up this season, but unpredictability is what makes this sport great. I hope we have more rain!

#13 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 15:25

we all want nakajima to steel rosberg's win for williams. :cool:

#14 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 15:50

Still looking like a two-horse race then... keep em coming.

#15 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 15:56

obviously there always the doubt about mclaren legality. and their wins.

they still are not cleared from their behavior in 07. italian courts donĀ“t sleep at the rusty mclaren.

#16 LostProphet

LostProphet

• 1,197 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 16:28

Ferrari and McLaren will both win races.

All four drivers will win at least a race each (because I think the cars are close enough and there are four very talented drivers there, so it makes sense)

No race wins for Renault, but maybe a podium in a heavy attrition rate. In that case it'll be Alonso - he has the experience and skill whereas Piquet I don't see as strong enough.
BMW could snatch some podiums - could be either driver, but my money is a little more on Nick.
Williams could also snatch some podiums - it'll be Rosberg again with the experience over his teammate as in Renault if that occurs.

If anyone else gets near it'll be due to a Hungary 06-type of race.

#17 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 16:38

Originally posted by lukywill

they still are not cleared from their behavior in 07. italian courts donĀ“t sleep at the rusty mclaren.

Maclaren might as well not bother competing this year eh. Regardless the courts verdict, some minds are allready made up lol! :lol:

#18 polymath

polymath

• 912 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 16:39

I'm looking for BMW especially Nick to get a win this year.

#19 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 16:43

Oh yea, I guess the same goes for Renault as well... :lol: :lol: The engineers had the McMerc Drawings, but they promice then mever looked at them huh ;)

Advertisement

#20 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 16:53

Originally posted by Mika Mika

Oh yea, I guess the same goes for Renault as well... :lol: :lol: The engineers had the McMerc Drawings, but they promice then mever looked at them huh ;)

not at all.

didnĀ“t read nothing about italian authorities calling renault for anything.

#21 metz

metz

• 15,873 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 16:56

Originally posted by polymath
I'm looking for BMW especially Nick to get a win this year.

Yes.
The team has set a win as one of it's objectives this year.
And the BMW Sauber engineers have deliberately designed the car to be better suited to street tracks at the expense of faster venues.
And Nick is good at the bumpy twisty bits.
And Robert will be faster this year. Podiums for him.

However, the car is still a dog and will be for the next 2-3 months. Expect turnaround in Monaco.

#22 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 17:29

Ferrari and McLaren are obvious, but... I'm hoping Rosberg can sneak one in somehow, somewhere. :cool:

#23 i.am.cloned

i.am.cloned

• 276 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 18:43

voted for McLaren & Ferrari but deep inside I hope that Williams and BMW somehow find the way to the top step of the podium.

#24 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 18:55

I am probably out on a limb a bit but I think Red Bull might pull off a lucky win. Possibly DC at Monaco?

#25 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,663 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 19:09

the mclaren is legal, the only question is to the actions of the people involved last year and whether they were legal or not. so it makes no difference here.

#26 Sharkye

Sharkye

• 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 20:02

I voted for Ferrari, Mclaren and BMW. The first two i'm pretty sure about (well ok nothing sure in life..) If BMW is going on as it has been since their F1 birth, they are ready for their first win. Hmmm maybe Renault can get back some life in their car... and perhaps Williams, mmmm that would be too good to be true............ I guess i am dreaming now :)

#27 LB

LB

• 13,578 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 20:05

Originally posted by SirSaltire
I am probably out on a limb a bit but I think Red Bull might pull off a lucky win. Possibly DC at Monaco?

I was thinking exactly that - cept probably Webber at Monaco

#28 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 22:20

Originally posted by LB

I was thinking exactly that - cept probably Webber at Monaco

I would like to see webber win a race but from past form at Monaco its prob more likely to be DC out of the two.

#29 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 22:29

Originally posted by SirSaltire

hope he doesnt have a problem in traffic ;). I tend to think Williams might have a lucky shot too, and BMW although they're gonna need a race of Fuji-esque proportions.......hope its a close battle between the red corner and the grey corner ;)

#30 Schubbard_28

Schubbard_28

• 35 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:02

I've gone for Ferrari, McLaren and BMW on the basis that I believe that it is these three teams that will fight for wins on a regular basis, although BMW is perhaps a slight step behind at the moment. McLaren and Ferrari look like picking up from where they left of last year. BMW's aim this year must be to close the gap and in doing so fight for victories, they will surely be disappointed if they didn't make this sort of progress.

I don't believe that you can discount Renault, if they get a track that suits there car Alonso may just be able to pull something out of the bag. However, it certainly appears that at the moment they do not have the package to compete regularly. If they make significant improvements during the year they may do enough to grab a win, they have a strong team and should be fighting near the front.

Williams have looked very quick in pre-season testing, certainly a step-up from last season. I don't think they have the pace to challenge for wins yet though, they make sneak a fortunate win if in the wet or a race of high attrition but I think they will have to wait until 2009 to return to the top step. I have a suspicion Monaco will be there best chance of a win through pure speed, they have been quick there in the past two seasons.

#31 Modern Lover

Modern Lover

• 728 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:03

For the sake of excitement I voted Williams, BMW and Renault will win alongside McLaren and the Donkeys.

I really hope we can see more than two competitive cars, otherwise it will be to bland for me anyway. Williams should step back into the winners circle, and BMW shoud join. Although a McLaren fan, nothing would please me more than seeing anyone other than a Donkey patrol on the podium.

#32 i_3_ms

i_3_ms

• 19 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 13:00

If anyone can break the Ferrari/McLaren dominance it's Alonso, I imagine even he'll require a healthy dollop of luck, though. Barring a freak winner due to rain etc. that'll be Ferrari, McLaren and Renault, then.

#33 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 22:29

It'll be hard to displace the top four, but I think BMW has to show they are close. I just can't see Renault making that big a jump considering where they were last year. Personally, I'd love to see Nico win one, but that might be too much to ask for. Honda, Toyota-don't think so, not this year anyway. :wave:

#34 DMJC

DMJC

• 92 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 13:38

I've gone for Ferrari/McLaren/BMW/..logic dictates that Kimi/Felipe can win several times, likewise LH, and Heikki at least once i'd think. After them, i have a strong feeling that one of the BMW's will win an unsual race, where the Ferraris/Macs have had retirement by error or mechanical fault. Finally i would be overjoyed to see Team Willy win again....and Nico is definitely able, if the car is good enough, and in the right circumstances, which given how far the two top teams should be, away from the rest of the field, would be an unusal race, such as the one i think BMW will win at. :clap:

#35 Leons

Leons

• 78 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 14:32

i think: Ferrari, McLaren and BMW :cool: but I'd like that Renault would win too :p