Jump to content


Photo

10 things for the monaco gp


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 28 February 2008 - 18:51

hi,

bit of fun before the season starts, nothing to do with spying, racism, testing, so should be quite a friendly thread.

i'm putting together our next product page for the magazine for which i work (i'd rather not tell you the title as i like my anonymity here, hope you don't mind) and this time themed on attending the monaco gp.

so i need 10 products to take to the monaco gp. luxurious expensive exciting things, that will look good on the page. i don't want to repeat things from the same team too much, so try to pick the best item a team produces - should you want to play along.

initial ideas include a ferrari umbrella, a hugo boss jacket, a tag heur watch, some deck shoes, ear plugs (tho these won't be included as won't look good), some t shirt, sunglasses, a camera, binoculars, sports bag, deck shoes for on the yacht don't you know, a drinking flask etc etc.

i've been looking at ferraristore.com and frankly you could do the whole page from that, but need some balance. i'd include maybe 2 ferrari items, 2 mclaren ones - tho probably from their partners ranges, not mclaren branded stuff. i'd rather steer clear of honda, toyota, redbull branded products too, but if you can think of things linked to f1 sponsors that'd be cool.

i'm calling in images from tomorrow, so this is only a quick bit of fun, i'll call in final items on monday. if you do play along, please link to items as to where you can buy them and post a picture - makes me job easier.

ooh yeah, should be both male and female oriented, some stuff for use when racing, some stuff for a glamorous evening.

thanks guys and gals. i'll be sure to let you know what makes the cut :)

Advertisement

#2 polymath

polymath
  • Member

  • 912 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 28 February 2008 - 19:09

Seems like a big expensive cigar would fit in, Cuban cigars are considered the best in the US but we can't get them here so it's kind of a forbidden fruit. Probably can get them in Monte Carlo pretty easy.

#3 pkenny

pkenny
  • Member

  • 198 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 28 February 2008 - 19:11

I would go for the Monaco GP silk tie.

http://boutique.acm....&products_id=34

I'd go for the red one.

#4 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 28 February 2008 - 19:12

Originally posted by polymath
Seems like a big expensive cigar would fit in, Cuban cigars are considered the best in the US but we can't get them here so it's kind of a forbidden fruit. Probably can get them in Monte Carlo pretty easy.


i rather like that idea. some big cuban cigar - very timely - with a nice silver single cigar case. perfect for when gambling at the casino.

what other gambling paraphernalia might the individual need at a casino?

#5 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 28 February 2008 - 19:13

Originally posted by pkenny
I would go for the Monaco GP silk tie.

http://boutique.acm....&products_id=34

I'd go for the red one.


swanky stuff :up:

#6 Dancing_Donkey

Dancing_Donkey
  • Member

  • 100 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 28 February 2008 - 19:29

Obvious choice would be Tag Heuer Monaco watch.

#7 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 28 February 2008 - 19:33

Originally posted by Dancing_Donkey
Obvious choice would be Tag Heuer Monaco watch.


i'd thought of tag, but didn't know they had a monaco special one. thanks for that. will search it out now.

do you mean the one on this page? : http://www.tagheuer....ieces/index.lbl

otherwise there's the concept watches: http://www.tagheuer....dex.lbl?lang=en

which look pretty cool, but don't think they're for sale, which is a shame.

#8 polymath

polymath
  • Member

  • 912 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 28 February 2008 - 19:46

Originally posted by le chat noir

i rather like that idea. some big cuban cigar - very timely - with a nice silver single cigar case. perfect for when gambling at the casino.


This might help, I'm trying to narrow down which cigars I'm going to buy when I go to the Canadian GP this summer.

Cohiba Esplendido


Unless you plan on carrying a lot of cash you might need a pen so you can quickly sign your credit card receipts.

Mont Blanc Starwalker Collection

#9 lukywill

lukywill
  • Member

  • 6,660 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 28 February 2008 - 20:05

the pool is too smelly.

better if you stay in your hotel room.

forget about rosberg. nakjima is way faster.

#10 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 28 February 2008 - 20:15

Originally posted by polymath


This might help, I'm trying to narrow down which cigars I'm going to buy when I go to the Canadian GP this summer.

Cohiba Esplendido


Unless you plan on carrying a lot of cash you might need a pen so you can quickly sign your credit card receipts.

Mont Blanc Starwalker Collection


thanks,

on the pen, d'you reckon we go with the carbon steel one? what is carbon steel anyway? still it looks like a carbonfibre finish, natch (as mb would say).

lukywill - i take it you mean the harbour? so you'd suggest the hotel for a more pleasant stay and to steer away from yachting type stuff? i don't remember the harbour being too smelly myself though. any more info on that?

#11 lukywill

lukywill
  • Member

  • 6,660 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 28 February 2008 - 20:26

Originally posted by le chat noir



lukywill - i take it you mean the harbour? so you'd suggest the hotel for a more pleasant stay and to steer away from yachting type stuff? i don't remember the harbour being too smelly myself though. any more info on that?


no, not the general city.

the smell comes from the west side.

best thing to be in monte carlo is to go for a pizza in san remo.

all those crazy tunnels are great. and the beautiful women in the track are a great value. :cool:

#12 polymath

polymath
  • Member

  • 912 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 28 February 2008 - 20:27

Originally posted by le chat noir

on the pen, d'you reckon we go with the carbon steel one? what is carbon steel anyway? still it looks like a carbonfibre finish, natch (as mb would say).


Actually this was the one I had in mind

The 1906 BOHEME COLLECTION is limited to only 1906 platinum plated pieces. It is crowned by the Montblanc diamond and an 18kt nib.

Posted Image

#13 Uwe

Uwe
  • Member

  • 706 posts
  • Joined: June 00

Posted 28 February 2008 - 20:45

What will help for the Monaco GP:

1. A big wallet

2. A still bigger wallet

3. Perhaps a big wallet

4. Ah yes, and a big wallet won't be a disadvantage.

There could be some other things, like... well, guess. :p

#14 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 28 February 2008 - 22:05

Originally posted by Uwe
What will help for the Monaco GP:

1. A big wallet

2. A still bigger wallet

3. Perhaps a big wallet

4. Ah yes, and a big wallet won't be a disadvantage.

There could be some other things, like... well, guess. :p


Nigel Mansell's back pocket is the line.

#15 wrighty

wrighty
  • Member

  • 3,605 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 28 February 2008 - 22:40

Originally posted by le chat noir


Nigel Mansell's back pocket is the line.


haha, so there's a top-line simulator for the public to play with built into the Mansell 'widebody' tub :D, ok back in the real world sorry :) , how about the best of phones or blackberries or kangaroos or whatever for getting the info at the track as it happens?

#16 Suntrek

Suntrek
  • Member

  • 1,794 posts
  • Joined: August 07

Posted 28 February 2008 - 23:06

I'm on.

Things I'd bring to Monaco:

1. A fat wallet (already acknowledged by other posters, but most important. Things aren't exactly cheap there)

2. No, say NO McLaren gear. No. Jamás. Nein. Never. Ever. Aldrig. I'm sorry, but the stuff they have is hideous. I wouldn't like to be caught dead in a ditch wearing it.

3. Ferrari has some good looking stuff though.The sunglasses are cool. I pick those.

4. And their jeans look good too.

5. And this belt to go with the jeans is beautiful!

Since I'm not a Ferrari fan I have to get a grip now! :lol: They DO have the best stuff around, it can't be denied, though... :

6. Renault haven't got their 2008 stuff out yet. But I would be carrying some of it, no matter what it looks like. Just to be loyal. ;)

7. This Williams jacket is nice. I'd proudly wear one.

8. And I'd wear a Super Aguri cap , just because I think it's SO sad if they don't make it into 2008.

9. My babe. (no, there's no link available to him)

10. Last but not least, I'll find my way to the track using the Ferrari navigator. :p

#17 saudoso

saudoso
  • Member

  • 4,592 posts
  • Joined: March 04

Posted 28 February 2008 - 23:07

http://www.steinmetz-group.com/


As expensive as it gets...

#18 Jodum5

Jodum5
  • Member

  • 1,247 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:38

1. Yacht

2. Beautiful girl #1

3. Beautiful girl #2

4. Beautiful girl #3

5. Nice watch

6. Money

7. Alcohol

8. Digital Camera

9. Prophylactics

10. Paddock Pass

#19 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park
  • Member

  • 19,097 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:02

1. Yacht of course.
2. No need for women - I am trying to get away from them.
3. Platinum credit cards
4. Organize a band for the gig on the boat. A loud one, 'cause sometimes it gets noisy, on Sundary afternoon, while moored to the key.
5. Is there anything superior to a paddock pass? Who cares, I may not bother anyway.
6. A big screen that looks onto the water, right in front of my mooring.
7. A motorised scooter, 'cause I think their cool.
8. A Michael Schumacher look-a-like, 'cause I reckon if I stick with him, I will be able to get in anywhere. it would work better if you are female - but I don't know of any females with Michael's pulling power. Then again, maybe a Bernie look alike might do the job.
9. Diamonds - or whoever is Red Bulls special sponsor this year. Maybe a diver - I reckon that diamond lost from the nosecone might be in the harbour, right near my yacht.
10. Plenty of Dom Perignon and real Caviar.

Advertisement

#20 FonzCam

FonzCam
  • Member

  • 762 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:04

Don't forget your Acer Ferrari Laptop http://www.acerdirec...aptops/prod.asp
Also you'll need your FIA approved mouse mat to go with it http://f1store.formu...products_id=155

And how about a case of Jarno Trulli wine! http://www.wineroom....info_90014.html (it might be too cheap)

Unfortunately it hasn't been released yet but the McGregor F1 collection looks like it could have a touch of style to it that most teams seem to lack http://www.mcgregorf1.com/

The best clothes seem to come from puma and are mostly Ferrari (they did some lovely stuff for BMW Williams a few years back)

Oh yeah and don't forget your paddock club tickets http://www.formulaonepaddockclub.com/

#21 howardt

howardt
  • Member

  • 2,102 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:44

I've been to the Monaco GP twice, and by far and away the best thing I ever took was a BMW (BMW-williams as it was then) coolbag/seat.

Reason ? I has tickets for Le Rocher, where there is no seating, and the ground is steep, rough and stony.
In order to get the best spot, we arrived at 6am. (some of the area is obscured by trees). And obviously there's no way to 'hold' your place, so other than individual toilet breaks, we stayed inthe same spot until the end of the day. Eight hours of standing on an inclined surface is too much, and sitting on the ground would give you a muddy arse pretty quickly.
Our BMW coolbags were carefully packed with water, ham sandwiches, mars bars,sunscreen and waterproofs, and of course Autosport. We sat on them for pretty much the whole day. They carried all of the essential stuff. Abso-definitely the best £20 I have ever spent.

Keep yer cigars and silk ties. If you're going to the Monaco GP, you *need* one of these.

#22 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:02

thanks for these so far. am going to start calling in proper images and things now. so any other thoughts out there, let me know asap
:up:

#23 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk
  • Member

  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:17

Opera glasses for gazing down from your balcony.

#24 Josta

Josta
  • Member

  • 2,237 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:34

Well you could get there in style in a L-39ZA Jet which you can buy here

Or if you would prefer to arrive from under rather than over, the Rinspeed Squba would be ideal.

#25 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 29 February 2008 - 15:55

Originally posted by howardt
I've been to the Monaco GP twice, and by far and away the best thing I ever took was a BMW (BMW-williams as it was then) coolbag/seat.

Reason ? I has tickets for Le Rocher, where there is no seating, and the ground is steep, rough and stony.
In order to get the best spot, we arrived at 6am. (some of the area is obscured by trees). And obviously there's no way to 'hold' your place, so other than individual toilet breaks, we stayed inthe same spot until the end of the day. Eight hours of standing on an inclined surface is too much, and sitting on the ground would give you a muddy arse pretty quickly.
Our BMW coolbags were carefully packed with water, ham sandwiches, mars bars,sunscreen and waterproofs, and of course Autosport. We sat on them for pretty much the whole day. They carried all of the essential stuff. Abso-definitely the best £20 I have ever spent.

Keep yer cigars and silk ties. If you're going to the Monaco GP, you *need* one of these.


any ideas where to get this from?

#26 polymath

polymath
  • Member

  • 912 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 16:01

When you get your list completed please post it so we can all see what the rich & famous need when going to the Monaco gp

#27 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 29 February 2008 - 16:06

I shall do polymath. And when I come to do the next gear page I may well open a thread in the PC as you've all been jolly helpful and might enjoy doing this again but for non-f1 related travel

#28 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 29 February 2008 - 17:03

what kind of champagne do they drink on the podium nowadays?

#29 madraykin

madraykin
  • Member

  • 140 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 18:21

Mumm I think.

#30 rearwheelskid00

rearwheelskid00
  • Member

  • 99 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 19:01

7. A motorised scooter, 'cause I think their cool.



I want one! :p

#31 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,818 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 19:02

Shades with diamonds incrested (sp?) for an absurd price.



What's the most expensive sport bike in the world???

#32 Frank Booth

Frank Booth
  • Member

  • 796 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 29 February 2008 - 20:06

Originally posted by Melbourne Park

7. A motorised scooter, 'cause I think their cool.


This one seems like a no brainer

Posted Image

#33 rearwheelskid00

rearwheelskid00
  • Member

  • 99 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 23:47

:clap:

#34 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park
  • Member

  • 19,097 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 01 March 2008 - 00:40

Originally posted by Frank Booth


This one seems like a no brainer

Posted Image

:clap: :clap:

#35 former champ

former champ
  • Member

  • 2,537 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:44

Originally posted by Jodum5
1. Yacht

2. Beautiful girl #1

3. Beautiful girl #2

4. Beautiful girl #3

5. Nice watch

6. Money

7. Alcohol

8. Digital Camera

9. Prophylactics

10. Paddock Pass


Perfect. Except I'd add in one more beautiful girl. :D :up:

#36 Kooper

Kooper
  • Member

  • 2,189 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:39

official Ferrari parking voucher for Rascasse? ;)




seems to be a home away from home for the Scarlet cars ;-)

#37 monaco

monaco
  • Member

  • 161 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:45

One of the most exciting sounds that is unique to the Monaco Grand Prix is the sound of the engines shrieking, reverberating between the tall buildings which surround the circuit :love: ... Of course ordinary ear plugs will do so as not to hurt your ears, but why not go in style with BOSE headphones for a subtle muffling of the beautiful sound --

http://www99.epinion...ent_55581707908

I have been to the Monaco GP twice and the excitement started to build for me, as we emerged from the train station and walked/practically ran towards the circuit while hearing those awesome engine sounds during practice. I couldn't see the cars yet, but I knew that I was part of the excitement because I could hear the racing car engines shrieking :clap:

#38 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park
  • Member

  • 19,097 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 03 March 2008 - 15:06

One thing I forgot is the Kanga TV unit:
http://www.kangaroo....aroo-tv-f1.html

#39 Frank Booth

Frank Booth
  • Member

  • 796 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 03 March 2008 - 15:26

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
One thing I forgot is the Kanga TV unit:
http://www.kangaroo....aroo-tv-f1.html


Yeah those are a MUST HAVE for any race IMHO, I got one at the USGP and it made all the difference, the commentary is lacking but I used my scanner to pick up the US broadcast so it was NP.

Advertisement

#40 Thanatos

Thanatos
  • Member

  • 163 posts
  • Joined: January 02

Posted 03 March 2008 - 16:39

High Quality Tux? for the gala evening?

#41 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 03 March 2008 - 18:31

right,
just thought i'd say what i've requested images for. some good ideas here, thanks all. some of the best have been vetoed also though - and not by me

so tag monaco watch, monaco tie, ray bans, hugo boss wallet, ferrari belt, paddock pass, canon binoculars, mumm champagne, leica camera, montblanc pen.

i wanted to include a kanga, or portable tv unit, may still do so as monaco tie, hugo boss, ferrari, paddock pass are all proving a little tricky. so keep the suggestions coming. keep it expensive, but of use, and pleasant not garish.

ta

#42 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park
  • Member

  • 19,097 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 03 March 2008 - 21:22

Originally posted by le chat noir
right,
just thought i'd say what i've requested images for. some good ideas here, thanks all. some of the best have been vetoed also though - and not by me

so tag monaco watch, monaco tie, ray bans, hugo boss wallet, ferrari belt, paddock pass, canon binoculars, mumm champagne, leica camera, montblanc pen.

i wanted to include a kanga, or portable tv unit, may still do so as monaco tie, hugo boss, ferrari, paddock pass are all proving a little tricky. so keep the suggestions coming. keep it expensive, but of use, and pleasant not garish.

ta

Are the Canon binoculars the ones that have the anti-shake capability? They are great ...

#43 IannDC

IannDC
  • Member

  • 166 posts
  • Joined: August 07

Posted 03 March 2008 - 21:40

Aston Martin? ... oh yes, some Giorgio Armani suntan lotion.

#44 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 04 March 2008 - 00:22

Originally posted by Melbourne Park

Are the Canon binoculars the ones that have the anti-shake capability? They are great ...


yup

#45 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park
  • Member

  • 19,097 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:34

Originally posted by le chat noir


yup

Yes they're pretty cool. But I'd rather a pair of reasonable Leica's, without the steady shot, as their optics are quite superb, they are tough and weather proof as well, which the cheaper Canon's are not. Still, with the Canon's you can walk and watch through them at the same time! Although doing so, you might walk into a wire fence! And jsut be be difficult, the Leica camera is actually a Panasonic! Oh well ... I just hope the Hugo Boss wallet is not made in Asia.




#46 le chat noir

le chat noir
  • Member

  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 04 March 2008 - 16:18

Urgent question: Do Asprey still sponsor Ferrari?


Melb - Can't do Leica, am featuring the M8 camera by them already. Its sweet and a cool £3600 (body only), more than the watch... and if actually a panasonic, well, that's toyota covered.
hugo boss is being difficult anyway, may have to drop that item.

#47 wrighty

wrighty
  • Member

  • 3,605 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 04 March 2008 - 18:43

Originally posted by Atreiu
What's the most expensive sport bike in the world???


surely the most apt would be the old Senna Ducati, never mind expensive, the place might be awash with em but it doesn't make em any less fabulously apt ;)

#48 CWeil

CWeil
  • Member

  • 1,051 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 04 March 2008 - 20:23

I was going to say cocaine...until I realized you can probably get it from just about anyone there! Just find anyone in a nice suit.



Kidding, kidding! Sort of.

#49 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park
  • Member

  • 19,097 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 04 March 2008 - 23:36

Originally posted by le chat noir
Urgent question: Do Asprey still sponsor Ferrari?


Melb - Can't do Leica, am featuring the M8 camera by them already. Its sweet and a cool £3600 (body only), more than the watch... and if actually a panasonic, well, that's toyota covered.
hugo boss is being difficult anyway, may have to drop that item.

Whooh - I did not think you'd have the M8 - that's a very unusual camera! Leica and Panasonic share technology with a much much cheaper handicam style camera, which would cost less than just one single M8 lens! Certainly the Leica M8 is very very beautifully manufactured, a glorious artifact! And that camera owes nothing to Panasonic as far as I know! Does the 3,600 include just the one lens? Still, I think a rangefinder at a GP would be rather nice - they are compact compared to SLR cameras. I'm not sure if you'd pick up how to use it properly by Saturday morning though! But I am impressed and quite surprised by your choice!