Jump to content


Photo

Paris GP anyone?


  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Schubbard_28

Schubbard_28
  • Member

  • 34 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 16:37

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/65393

Apparently Bernie wants a Grand Prix in Paris for 2009. I think having 3 street races this year is bad enough without another one for 2009. They may look pretty and be good for sponsors but there are plenty of purpose built tracks that can provide much better overtaking opportunities than a street track so let's use them.

Advertisement

#2 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 16:54

Not gonna happen, just Bernie trying to get the construction of a track near Paris on the agenda again.
The FFSA with the help of the French government promised Bernie that that would happen for 2010 but not much has happened since then.

A proper track near Paris can't be build within a year (or 2 for that matter) and no one would go for a 1-off streetvenue in Paris.
There will be no GP in or near Paris in 2009, it will be at Magny Cours or there will be no GP at all.

#3 Schubbard_28

Schubbard_28
  • Member

  • 34 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 16:56

Originally posted by Sébastien

There will be no GP in or near Paris in 2009, it will be at Magny Cours or there will be no GP at all.


Sounds more likely that it'll be not at all. I can't see Magny-Cours back on the calendar next year, it's been so close to being dropped so many times.

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak
  • Member

  • 13,263 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 29 February 2008 - 18:31

Originally posted by Sébastien
Not gonna happen,

Killjoy.....

I think its a great idea

I can see it now,

The crowds waiting in anticipation for the race to begin...
The cars go blasting down the streets of Paris at breakneck speeds...

Book Now!!!!

Jp

#5 k1ngy

k1ngy
  • Member

  • 156 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 29 February 2008 - 18:36

Ive been there and i thought it was grand prix day everyday :blush:
I agree with Schubbard_28 though i dont believe we need another street track

#6 turin

turin
  • Member

  • 3,014 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 29 February 2008 - 18:47

they could use the Rendez-Vous layout

#7 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,876 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 19:03

A bit off topic, what's the point in that chincane before the start/end straight at Magny-Cours? Hasn't the track already got enough corners?


A race in Paris would be fine, but I doubt it'll happen.


Why don't they just go back to Paul Ricard? How hard can that be?

#8 Ivan

Ivan
  • Member

  • 6,646 posts
  • Joined: March 99

Posted 29 February 2008 - 19:12

Originally posted by Atreiu
Why don't they just go back to Paul Ricard? How hard canm that be?

What's funny about this statement is that Bernie would have to retro fit it to make it work...it's his track!

#9 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED
  • Member

  • 8,097 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 29 February 2008 - 22:30

I'd definitely be there if it happens. Lovely city, I am crossing fingers! :up:

#10 Ogami musashi

Ogami musashi
  • Member

  • 787 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 22:39

like sebastien said, i highly doubt it will happens, and if it happens the last plans were to use a military shooting field near paris so it would be a purpose built circuit not a street race.

But the most important thing is that in france, we do not build things in 2 years..we first discuss it for 10 years then start to think about construction.

#11 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 February 2008 - 23:43

Originally posted by Ogami musashi
But the most important thing is that in france, we do not build things in 2 years..we first discuss it for 10 years then start to think about construction.

Exactly my point Ogami, no way construction of a new permanent track is possible in France in a year, two years or even three.

Bernie got some promises from a few politicians and now he is kindly remembering them of those promises.
It's not gonna change a damn thing for 2009, it's Magny Cours or bust.

#12 LeD

LeD
  • Member

  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:35

I can't wait to see those cars skittering over the Paris cobblestones in the rain, the drivers grunting "et alors, merde alors!"

#13 monaco

monaco
  • Member

  • 161 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:53

Very, very beautiful city --

Wide tree-lined boulevards, historic settings, beautiful bridges to cross, excellent riverside drives... and I hope I don't sound disrespectful, but wouldn't be it be great to see a huge Checquered Flag atop the Arc de Triomphe on Champs Elysee to signal the end of the race?

#14 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED
  • Member

  • 8,097 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:27

Originally posted by monaco
Very, very beautiful city --

Wide tree-lined boulevards, historic settings, beautiful bridges to cross, excellent riverside drives... and I hope I don't sound disrespectful, but wouldn't be it be great to see a huge Checquered Flag atop the Arc de Triomphe on Champs Elysee to signal the end of the race?


I completely agree. It could well have the potential to be something like Monaco in the future.

#15 Enkei

Enkei
  • Member

  • 5,747 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:34

Hilton?

#16 Jackman

Jackman
  • Member

  • 12,780 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:51

It's pretty likely that Bernie is not talking about a street circuit, but just one that is conveniently located. You could make a temporary track fairly easily at somewhere like Bois de Boulogne: just think about Albert Park in Melbourne for how it could be done, easily and quickly.

And to answer an earlier question, anyone who has been to Ricard will know why you can't hold a race there: it's takes long enough to get to the track from the single lane, winding road that leads up the mountain when it's just a test and there are no spectators. And that's leaving aside the fact that there's effectively nowhere to put them now, anyway.

#17 FordFan

FordFan
  • Member

  • 3,456 posts
  • Joined: October 99

Posted 01 March 2008 - 16:16

Won't modern F1 cars have a difficult time with the roundabouts?

#18 F575 GTC

F575 GTC
  • Member

  • 920 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:06

A race in Paris? It'll be exciting to watch at any rate - just to see who actually gets to the finish and who ends up getting set on fire! I can picture the headline's now...

"Mark Webber suffers yet more bad look as Rioters set fire to his RBR on lap 42...."

:lol:

#19 Risil

Risil
  • Member

  • 13,895 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:40

Originally posted by F575 GTC

"Mark Webber suffers yet more bad look as Rioters set fire to his RBR on lap 42...."

:lol:


Bloody kids **** everything up. :p

Advertisement

#20 scheivlak

scheivlak
  • Member

  • 11,467 posts
  • Joined: August 01

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:43

Originally posted by FordFan
Won't modern F1 cars have a difficult time with the roundabouts?

:rolleyes:
As long as they can take the Loews hairpin in Monaco.....

#21 monaco

monaco
  • Member

  • 161 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 02 March 2008 - 00:45

And if the roundabout is L'Etoile, some drivers might get lost sorting out which of the 12 avenues to take :rotfl:

#22 David M. Kane

David M. Kane
  • Member

  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 02 March 2008 - 00:46

I hope there are no Jackals in the windows. :lol:

#23 angst

angst
  • Member

  • 7,135 posts
  • Joined: December 03

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:28

Originally posted by Jackman
It's pretty likely that Bernie is not talking about a street circuit, but just one that is conveniently located. You could make a temporary track fairly easily at somewhere like Bois de Boulogne: just think about Albert Park in Melbourne for how it could be done, easily and quickly.

And to answer an earlier question, anyone who has been to Ricard will know why you can't hold a race there: it's takes long enough to get to the track from the single lane, winding road that leads up the mountain when it's just a test and there are no spectators. And that's leaving aside the fact that there's effectively nowhere to put them now, anyway.


Didn't Renault launch their '08 car in Paris, and then run it there aswell? What was the road that was used for the Renault launch...?

#24 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:54

Originally posted by angst

Didn't Renault launch their '08 car in Paris, and then run it there aswell? What was the road that was used for the Renault launch...?


Yes the launch was at the Renault headquarters in Boulogne-Billancourt a suburb of Paris.
It's where historically Renault had their factories on the banks of the Seine and on the Île Seguin, a small island in the Seine.

I am sure that Renault would love to have a race around their headquarters, but organising a race in a densely populated residential area such as Boulogne-Billancourt within 18 months is very unrealistic if not impossible (certainly in France).

#25 David M. Kane

David M. Kane
  • Member

  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 02 March 2008 - 17:44

Surely it will be a night race.

#26 angst

angst
  • Member

  • 7,135 posts
  • Joined: December 03

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:00

Originally posted by Sébastien


Yes the launch was at the Renault headquarters in Boulogne-Billancourt a suburb of Paris.
It's where historically Renault had their factories on the banks of the Seine and on the Île Seguin, a small island in the Seine.

I am sure that Renault would love to have a race around their headquarters, but organising a race in a densely populated residential area such as Boulogne-Billancourt within 18 months is very unrealistic if not impossible (certainly in France).


Thankyou. The reason I mention it is because the roads that Renault ran their cars on seemed reltively open, almost like a diusused race track.... I'll have to Google Eart that area ;)

Just out of interest, what is the state of play with Montlhéry these days? Im just get the feeling that, as with London, the idea of a GP through the streets of (central) Paris is a logistical non-starter.....

#27 Hacklerf

Hacklerf
  • Member

  • 2,333 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:31

For all the faults and difficulties in the idea, just imagine it, what a sight to behold.

#28 lustigson

lustigson
  • Member

  • 4,770 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:14

Although I'd love to see it happen, I find it somewhat unlikely. There's more logic in renewing the Magny-Cours contract again, or revert to Le Castellet, although that doesn't have any grandstands... at al. :drunk:

#29 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:13

Originally posted by angst
Just out of interest, what is the state of play with Montlhéry these days? Im just get the feeling that, as with London, the idea of a GP through the streets of (central) Paris is a logistical non-starter.....

The track of Linas-Montlhéry is sadly not in a great state and no competitive racing is possible there anymore.
Afaik a part of the track is now being used for trackdays with Mygale's and the owners the UTAC allow historical club meetings on the autodrome from time to time.

For the map of Boulogne-Billancourt check here , top right the Renault offices and bottom left the Île Seguin in the Seine.

For those dreamers (and Bernie) that still do believe in a F1 race in downtown Paris, I've found an old design (1984) of a track that runs on the banks of the Seine, the Champs Elysées and the Palace de la Concorde.

Posted Image
(source www.gdecarli.it)
(here the area in Google Maps )

#30 Jackman

Jackman
  • Member

  • 12,780 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:17

Originally posted by Jackman
It's pretty likely that Bernie is not talking about a street circuit, but just one that is conveniently located. You could make a temporary track fairly easily at somewhere like Bois de Boulogne: just think about Albert Park in Melbourne for how it could be done, easily and quickly.



#31 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 03 March 2008 - 21:44

Sorry Jackman but there is no such thing as making a track "fairly easily" in the Bois de Boulogne, not unless you want to close down the Boulevard Périphérique and bring traffic to a complete standstill for a week.

Bernie also knows that a race or track in or close to Paris is not gonna happen for 2009, but he's reminding the FFSA and government that they should get cracking on a new venue for the French GP.

#32 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED
  • Member

  • 8,097 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 03 March 2008 - 22:29

Originally posted by Sébastien
Posted Image


:love:

#33 Jackman

Jackman
  • Member

  • 12,780 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 03 March 2008 - 23:49

Originally posted by Sébastien
Sorry Jackman but there is no such thing as making a track "fairly easily" in the Bois de Boulogne, not unless you want to close down the Boulevard Périphérique and bring traffic to a complete standstill for a week.

They close down Albert Park for longer than that in Melbourne, but then again there is still the political will to do so: the French will never have the political will to make something like that happen while Bernie keeps letting them hold their race in Magny Cours, as they have no reason to do so.

#34 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:46

In order not to lose the GP to a new to be build Paris track after 2009, Magny Cours now has presented plans for a big renovation of the track facilities for the teams, press, spectators and Paddock Club, in short it will envisage:

- New pit complex with 27 pitboxes twice the size they are now.
- Widen the pitlane from 12 to 18m.
- Widen the track from 12 to 18 m at the start/finish straight.
- New facilities for race and track officials and a pressroom for 650 journalists.
- Covering the existing grandstands at start/finish.
- Construction of new grandstands at the Lycée corner, such that a stadium for 20.000 spectators is created.

Furthermore 2 new (luxury) hotels will be built (450 rooms) and work on the motorway, to now reach the track, has already started.

The project will be financed by the region, with government and European Union backing.
The plans have been presented to French Prime Minister Fillon, who last year met with Bernie.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

link to French article

#35 Frans

Frans
  • Member

  • 7,701 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:00

bad idea.

#36 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:57

dunno Frans, I think upgrading any track is always a good idea.

#37 Mika Mika

Mika Mika
  • Member

  • 6,738 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:06

Originally posted by Sébastien

The track of Linas-Montlhéry is sadly not in a great state and no competitive racing is possible there anymore.
Afaik a part of the track is now being used for trackdays with Mygale's and the owners the UTAC allow historical club meetings on the autodrome from time to time.

For the map of Boulogne-Billancourt check here , top right the Renault offices and bottom left the Île Seguin in the Seine.

For those dreamers (and Bernie) that still do believe in a F1 race in downtown Paris, I've found an old design (1984) of a track that runs on the banks of the Seine, the Champs Elysées and the Palace de la Concorde.

Posted Image
(source www.gdecarli.it)
(here the area in Google Maps )


Is there any way the could go east a little bit and around the Arc de Triomphe?? That would look AMAZEING...

#38 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,876 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:44

The track will still suck and be inadequate for the cars raced nowadays.

#39 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 April 2008 - 13:41

Originally posted by Mika Mika


Is there any way the could go east a little bit and around the Arc de Triomphe?? That would look AMAZEING...

Hey if Bernie wants to race in Paris he'll just have to accept a 7.5 km track ;)

Originally posted by Atreiu
The track will still suck and be inadequate for the cars raced nowadays.

Duhh, it's a track proposal from 25 years ago.
[Edit]Atreiu did not have cornflakes today

Advertisement

#40 Mika Mika

Mika Mika
  • Member

  • 6,738 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 April 2008 - 13:44

Originally posted by Sébastien

Hey if Bernie wants to race in Paris he'll just have to accept a 7.5 km track ;)


Why not, if it's gonna be in paris why not show it off, same goes for london or Las Vegas...

#41 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,876 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 04 April 2008 - 14:13

Originally posted by Sébastien

Hey if Bernie wants to race in Paris he'll just have to accept a 7.5 km track ;)


Duhh, it's a track proposal from 25 years ago.
Btw who pissed in your cornflakes this morning.


I was talking about the modifications for Magny-Cours. As far as I'm concerned, watching it from home, the paddock and facilities could be the size of an airport. I'm more interested in the actual racing.
;)

#42 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 04 April 2008 - 14:45

Originally posted by Atreiu


I was talking about the modifications for Magny-Cours. As far as I'm concerned, watching it from home, the paddock and facilities could be the size of an airport. I'm more interested in the actual racing.
;)

Ahh OK understood and edited.

but Bernie does care about facilities, but now they have to get Magny Cours relatively closer to Paris.

#43 Sébastien

Sébastien
  • Member

  • 1,267 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:33

So no Paris GP for 2009 as could be expected, Magny Cours is back :up:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/68624

I said my goodbyes for nothing then last weekend, also if they don't get cracking on plans and permissions for a new track somewhere near Paris soon, than they will not have a track for 2010 or 2011 either.