Jump to content


Photo

Rally Mexico 2008


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ezequiel

ezequiel
  • Member

  • 877 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 29 February 2008 - 22:54

Another impressive showing from Latvala. The kid learns fast. Subaru is looking more competitive than usual too.

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,842 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 01 March 2008 - 00:35

Leading positions after day one:

Pos Driver Car Time
1. Latvala Ford 1h23:38.6
2. Loeb Citroen + 9.6
3. Atkinson Subaru + 22.4
4. P Solberg Subaru + 1:01.9
5. Hirvonen Ford + 1:10.6
6. H Solberg Ford + 2:43.6
7. Wilson Ford + 2:52.9
8. Villagra Ford + 5:30.0
9. Trivino Peugeot + 8:18.6
10. Ogier Citroen + 9:13.0

#3 jokuvaan

jokuvaan
  • Member

  • 4,059 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 01 March 2008 - 00:44

Road cleaning did go well for Hirvonen, I wonder what he can recover from there.

#4 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks
  • Member

  • 5,416 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:20

We can expect Latvala to race Loeb for championship? Quite good, better than the Loeb domination expected per chance!  ;) Many cheers for Latvala then indeed.

#5 Menace

Menace
  • Member

  • 12,295 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:28

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks
We can expect Latvala to race Loeb for championship? Quite good, better than the Loeb domination expected per chance!  ;) Many cheers for Latvala then indeed.


Might be too early for that, but he sure is looking good so far. :)

#6 Fatgadget

Fatgadget
  • Member

  • 1,935 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:28

Dani Sordo has proved to be a bit of a dissapointment thus far hasn't he?.Me thinks Citroen will lose patience with him pretty soon.
As for Latvala, wow! Where the heck did he come from? :eek:

#7 tormave

tormave
  • Member

  • 949 posts
  • Joined: January 02

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:12

Originally posted by Fatgadget
Dani Sordo has proved to be a bit of a dissapointment thus far hasn't he?.Me thinks Citroen will lose patience with him pretty soon.
As for Latvala, wow! Where the heck did he come from? :eek:

Latvala is actually a very experienced driver already. Check out his history page.

#8 Schubbard_28

Schubbard_28
  • Member

  • 34 posts
  • Joined: March 07

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:31

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks
We can expect Latvala to race Loeb for championship? Quite good, better than the Loeb domination expected per chance!  ;) Many cheers for Latvala then indeed.


Certainly looks like Ford can take the fight to Loeb at the moment, certainly look like favourites for the Manufacturer's trophy as Sordo seems to be off the pace. I wouldn't discount Hirvonen fighting for the Championship, he was first to run through the stages as the cleaner. Latvala is certainly looking impressive at the moment.

Nice to Matthew Wilson running in the points again as well.

#9 kartmaan

kartmaan
  • New Member

  • 1 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:47

http://www.mtv3.fi/u.../2008/03/618280

Hirvonen says that it is unpleasant when younger teammate beats you. It's not about my car nor the road conditions, he (Latvala) just drives extremely well.

Looks like Latvala is going to be next finnish WC! :clap:

#10 HSJ

HSJ
  • Member

  • 14,002 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 01 March 2008 - 13:57

If he keeps this up, Latvala could be the next great rally driver. We haven't had one since Mäkinen and Sainz. Grönholm and Loeb are good, but not greats. I bet Loeb is quite shocked already, considering his comments after day 1. Still, rallying is more difficult for rookies than F1 or road cars, so Latvala is likely to hit hard times too. But it does look interesting. He's the youngest winner and could be youngest champ too if all goes really well for him.

#11 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,842 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 01 March 2008 - 14:20

Wow, another cheap jab at Loeb.

#12 Taxi

Taxi
  • Member

  • 3,034 posts
  • Joined: October 03

Posted 01 March 2008 - 14:23

Originally posted by HSJ
If he keeps this up, Latvala could be the next great rally driver. We haven't had one since Mäkinen and Sainz. Grönholm and Loeb are good, but not greats. I bet Loeb is quite shocked already, considering his comments after day 1. Still, rallying is more difficult for rookies than F1 or road cars, so Latvala is likely to hit hard times too. But it does look interesting. He's the youngest winner and could be youngest champ too if all goes really well for him.


Sainz? I would Pick Marcus and Sebastien any day over Sainz.

Latvala for sure is the new flying Finn. Hirvonen can be a good points colector like Burns, Salonen or Solberg.

#13 Mauseri

Mauseri
  • Member

  • 7,504 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 01 March 2008 - 14:55

Latvala's driving seems more efficient than Hirvonen's. Hirvonen just loses time time time everywhere.

#14 rookie

rookie
  • Member

  • 416 posts
  • Joined: November 04

Posted 01 March 2008 - 16:01

Latvala for sure is the new flying Finn. Hirvonen can be a good points colector like Burns, Salonen or Solberg.



Is it the advent of Internet Forums that cause a someones last performance to define thier career?

eg. Latvala drove fantastic in his last rally, had a good road position and did well today and is now possibly world champion for 08 and giving Loeb a run for his money vs Hirvonen has a rough day and his career is defined as a point collecter..

Let's not forget that in round 1 in Monte, Hirvonen owned Latvala.

Last year Latvala threw it off the road plenty of times, Hirvonen scored a ton of podiums and a few wins and was the best driver after Seb and Marcus

Good and Bad drivers don't change over night. I'm not a particular fan of either, I think there both great, and am really looking forward to this year and what it brings, I just dont feel one day or even 2 rallies for that matter define a driver.

Both Ford drivers are the real deal.

#15 Mauseri

Mauseri
  • Member

  • 7,504 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 01 March 2008 - 18:06

Originally posted by rookie
Let's not forget that in round 1 in Monte, Hirvonen owned Latvala.

I think Latvala is more of the "result or out" type.

Last year Latvala threw it off the road plenty of times, Hirvonen scored a ton of podiums and a few wins and was the best driver after Seb and Marcus

Yeah, he is not of the 'result or out' type.

Good and Bad drivers don't change over night. I'm not a particular fan of either, I think there both great, and am really looking forward to this year and what it brings, I just dont feel one day or even 2 rallies for that matter define a driver.

Sure, Latvala need to show more to define what he is, but Hirvonen is pretty much defined. Good driver who can safely drive to podiums and get the odd win. A bit like Burns.

#16 Panch

Panch
  • Member

  • 440 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 01 March 2008 - 20:55

Originally posted by micra_k10

I think Latvala is more of the "result or out" type.
[B]


The guy is 22 years old. It´s obvios that his still learning to find his limit.

Quote from Ari Vatanen:

A young rally driver talks with Vatanen:
Vatanen: When did you last time crash?
Young driver: I haven't crashed once!
Vatanen: So how do you know your limit!

#17 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi
  • Member

  • 2,723 posts
  • Joined: December 04

Posted 01 March 2008 - 21:04

Originally posted by rookie


Is it the advent of Internet Forums that cause a someones last performance to define thier career?

eg. Latvala drove fantastic in his last rally, had a good road position and did well today and is now possibly world champion for 08 and giving Loeb a run for his money vs Hirvonen has a rough day and his career is defined as a point collecter..

Let's not forget that in round 1 in Monte, Hirvonen owned Latvala.

Last year Latvala threw it off the road plenty of times, Hirvonen scored a ton of podiums and a few wins and was the best driver after Seb and Marcus

Good and Bad drivers don't change over night. I'm not a particular fan of either, I think there both great, and am really looking forward to this year and what it brings, I just dont feel one day or even 2 rallies for that matter define a driver.

Both Ford drivers are the real deal.

Hirvonen will never be a great, but Latvala can become one. He is simply by far more talented. Hirvonen is just good and nothing more.

HSJ - How can you say Loeb and Grönholm are good, but not great? Remember, Loeb destroyed Sainz and McRae at Citroen. And he is even better now than he was then.
Loeb is clearly one of the best ever rally drivers, that is undoubted. The fact that Latvala can keep pace with him shows how great he already is.
Grönholm was pretty damn good too and superbly Entertaining.


Now it seems that on stage 13 Latvala has probably crashed and lost a minute. Loebs pace today has just been too much for him.

#18 jokuvaan

jokuvaan
  • Member

  • 4,059 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 01 March 2008 - 22:18

Latvala lost his turbo. Hirvonen did two tyre changes.

#19 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks
  • Member

  • 5,416 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:58

Originally posted by HSJ
Still, rallying is more difficult for rookies than F1 or road cars, so Latvala is likely to hit hard times too. But it does look interesting.


Latvala is not a rookie! :wave: He has been racing WRCars for several years.

The Stobart cars are similar in specification to the works units, but perhaps there is a larger kit of extra special go-fast suspension bits etc in the truck of the works team which gives the works cars an edge out on the stages.

P.S. If Loeb and Gronholm aren't greats, then maybe Alonso and shock horror Raikkonen aren't greats either ;) , maybe they are only good just like Button! :eek:

Anyways, let's hope Atkinson can hold onto a slow and steady 2nd, an acceptable result for Subaru. :up: But Latvala is close and will be very quick in the 3-4 stages on last day.

Advertisement

#20 KeyserSoze27

KeyserSoze27
  • Member

  • 105 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 02 March 2008 - 21:59

Loeb won this with a damaged engine..LOL

:cool:

#21 Atreiu

Atreiu
  • Member

  • 9,842 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 02 March 2008 - 23:32

Originally posted by KeyserSoze27
Loeb won this with a damaged engine..LOL

:cool:


Not bad for someone so average... :rolleyes:



How are the championship standings?

#22 speedy

speedy
  • Member

  • 1,766 posts
  • Joined: December 98

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:01

Originally posted by Atreiu


Not bad for someone so average... :rolleyes:



How are the championship standings?


They managed to repair Seb's engine without breaking the rules(sealed parts).

WDC standings :

Hirvonen 21
Loeb 20
Latvala 16

#23 ViMaMo

ViMaMo
  • Member

  • 5,026 posts
  • Joined: September 03

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:01

Peugeot privateer Ricardo Trivino has lost his eighth place finish notched up on the Corona Rally Mexico at the start of this month.

The local star had been excluded on day two of the event by the stewards after he was found to be wearing the wrong specification driving gloves. Trivino initially decided to contest the ruling and as such he was allowed to complete the event in his 206 WRC.



FIA run by brainless rules.

#24 tormave

tormave
  • Member

  • 949 posts
  • Joined: January 02

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:26

The rules are the same for everyone. Latvala was DSQ a couple of years ago in Rally Finland for not wearing the fire protective underwear. The clothing rules are there for driver safety they are easy enough for everyone to follow.

#25 ezequiel

ezequiel
  • Member

  • 877 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 21 March 2008 - 15:33

Originally posted by tormave
The rules are the same for everyone. Latvala was DSQ a couple of years ago in Rally Finland for not wearing the fire protective underwear. The clothing rules are there for driver safety they are easy enough for everyone to follow.


The same happened last year to JP Raies when he couldn't find one of his gloves and raced without it!