Photo

Personal photos from historic festivals

• Please log in to reply
1487 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 23:48

I always feel a little reluctant to post pictures from modern 'historic' meetings on the track and paddock threads, as they really constitute a category in themselves, so I thought that a new thread might be an excuse to post a few more from the archive, as there is plenty of interesting subject matter from events such as the old Christie's/Coys festivals, the Gooodwood FoS and Revival, the Old Timer GP, L'Age d'Or, Laguna Seca, Le Mans Classic etc...
Hope you don't think it too indulgent, and hope that you can come up with more.

From the first Christie's Historic Festival at Silverstone, 1990
Posted Image Posted Image
Highlight of that first festival was the appearance of Neil Corner's Mercedes W154, and Auto Union driven by John Surtees. At the last minute, Corner decided to enter the Mulberry 100-mile GP cars race, but was put off course by an errant Riley on the first lap. The driver's group features Willie Green, Rupert Keegan, Barrie Williams and Neil Corner (in car)

Willie Green in the 1957 German GP-winning 250F, and Alain de Cadenet with Vanwall VW10, then owned by the Swedish consortioum, AB Consolidator.

Posted Image The McLaren M8Fs of Charlie Agg and Sir John Whitmore. Sir John showed that he was still a contender taking one win in the two-part International Supersports Cup.

From the first Goodwood Festival of Speed 1993. It was all very low-key, in contrast to subsequent years, with a very relaxed, garden party atmosphere. Note "the right crowd and no crowding" and lack of sponsors' marquees.
Willie Green with Carol Spagg's Alfa 158/159 and Dan Margulies' Maserati 4CLT

Anthony Maclean's Lancia D24 Replica, and Frank Sytner with Sir Anthony Bamford's ex-Maranello Concessionaires' 250GTO

Rodney Felton with Tom Wheatcroft's "Thinwall" Special, and Roy Salvadori talking to Simon Draper, whose DB3S he drove in a demonstration.

Edited by Alan Cox, 23 March 2013 - 18:11.

Advertisement

#2 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 00:00

i'm impressed.Any more?

#3 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 00:03

Thank you, John. How many more do you want?

#4 Hugewally

Hugewally

• 103 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:33

Posted Image

#5 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:24

Not strictly a "festival" I guess, but as you have opened the door Alan.............

Some shots from The VSCC Pomeroy Trophy a couple of weeks ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards

David

#6 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:47

Some of my Goodwood revival photos:
http://andrewkitson1...collections.php

#7 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 14:05

Originally posted by Alan Cox

From the first Goodwood Festival of Speed 1993. It was all very low-key, in contrast to subsequent years, with a very relaxed, garden party atmosphere.
Willie Green with Carol Spagg's Alfa 158/159 and Dan Margulies' Maserati 4CLT

Unfortunately most of what crowd was there for the start of Friday practice were standing there, with just a chestnut paling for protection the first day. I was already preparing to say something about the obvious danger when the first spots of rain fell, the next car got into a tank slapper and the area was immediately cordoned off...
The paddock was a far safer place:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 21:55

'06 Goodwood Revival

Posted Image

#9 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 22:10

FrogEye59 what is it? Pretty car...

#10 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 22:25

Originally posted by Alan Cox
[B].

Posted Image The McLaren M8Fs of Charlie Agg and Sir John Whitmore. Sir John showed that he was still a contender taking one win in the two-part International Supersports Cup.

Those McLarens look amazing! It would have ben great to see the old Bruce and Denny show back in the day, Sir JW is such a talented alrounder :up: Great photos Alan!

#11 Hugewally

Hugewally

• 103 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 22:45

Originally posted by David M. Kane
FrogEye59 what is it? Pretty car...

Lang Cooper...

http://www.conceptca...ang_Cooper.aspx

http://www.tamsoldra...LangCooper.html

http://www.slotcaril...php/t-3117.html

#12 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:59

hi there,
is this the first oldtimer grand prix ? (since it's called nuerburgring show)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:03

...and the rest...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:49

Goodwood 2006, and this could very well end in tears.

Ferrari vs cobra

The lovely Alfa 3000CM opened up.

Alfa

Back to 1982 and a Lister Jag.

Langton I think?

#15 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 17:54

Interesting pictures, Martin. I don't recall having seen any photos from the first 'Ring Festival.

#16 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 18:08

Wow!... Fabulous photographs Chaps !

Some bits of film here from last years Goodwood Revival

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#17 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 00:13

Originally posted by Nordic
Goodwood 2006, and this could very well end in tears.

Wonderful picture. Three abreast into Madgwick....that's the kind of racing that brings me back to Revival year after year.

Jack.

#18 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:16

Some lovely images above. I love it when even the historic festivals create a history of their own.

Anyway, for my minor contribution here are lots 'n lots of pics:

Monterey Historics 2005

Monterey Historics 2003

Neil

#19 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:56

Well, now you've gone and done it! I went to Monterey every year save one between from 1977 to 2001. Some years I shot as many as 20 to 25 rolls of 36 exp. Here are a few I happen to have already scanned.

Posted Image
Herman Lang in a Merc W154(?)

Posted Image
A bunch o' Porsches.

Posted Image
The 917 family portrait.

More later...

Cheers,
Kurt O.

Advertisement

#20 watkins

watkins

• 145 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:35

Posted Image
From across the pond...The 2007 Vintage weekend at Watkins Glen

#21 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:08

hoo boy. Some fantastic stuff here already and I'm betting there will be more.

So....

Phillip Island 2007

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I guess I'll have more after this weekend, then!

Bruce Moxon

#22 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:37

Posted Image
That is SO close to my first experience of the Nürburgring and Historic Racing in the seventies as a pre-teenager! :D Wonder if we met, throwing stones at each other's plastic Maserati... :lol:

#23 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:47

i tell you what michael....
those memories of early race meetings like the oldtimer gp and the meetings
at flugplatz mainz finthen are still so powerfull...i look at the pictures and straight away i get the smell of racingoil
petrol and rubber in my nose (and the taste of the worlds best burgers and 3 coloured icecream supplied by the us army)
i'll never forget that....my dad sent me on a journey and 37 years later i'm still travelling :)
the first few meetings i went to were all historic events....the real racecars for me were always the oldtimers,i got into contemporary racing alot later.
weeeeeelll.......you would have aimed at a plastic citroen in my case..... :wave:
cheers marty

#24 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:32

Delighted to see that this thread is catching on. Thanks for those Southern Hemisphere and Transatlantic pics. More, please...

#25 barrykm

barrykm

• 806 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:14

Originally posted by Stephen W
Posted Image
Dan Gurney in the Donington Collection BRM P25 @ the Gunnar Nilsson Meeting 1979 Donington Park

Posted Image
Juan Manuel Fangio in Neil Corner's Mercedes @ the Gunnar Nilsson Meeting 1979 Donington Park

Posted Image
George Harrison in a Lotus-Climax 18 @ the Gunnar Nilsson Meeting 1979 Donington Park

:wave:

In the Lotus 18 - is that 'the' George Harrison..? (while we all gently weep..)

#26 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,545 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:16

Originally posted by barrykm

In the Lotus 18 - is that 'the' George Harrison..? (while we all gently weep..)

Yes, George was there with JYS. :wave:

#27 barrykm

barrykm

• 806 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:07

Thanks Stephen. I knew that George was a grea enthusiast, nice to see that he got onto the track as well, I didn't know that he had.

Was this a once-off I wonder?

#28 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:39

Yes, that was virtually a one-off. In his book 'I Me Mine', he tells a story of being at Brands Hatch in the early 70's when Team Surtees were testing and he got to have a go in their latest F1 car (don't know which one), halfway round the lap he thought it was a bit drafty in the cockpit, only to realise that he'd forgotten to put on a crash helmet!! BTW, that Lotus in the Donington pic is the ex-Moss Monaco 61 car.

#29 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:40

Originally posted by Gary C
(...) halfway round the lap he thought it was a bit drafty in the cockpit, only to realise that he'd forgotten to put on a crash helmet!!

Those were the days! :smoking:

Perhaps a bit too much sitar for breakfast, or... mushrooms?

#30 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:27

Excellent photos everybody :clap: , great thread. Frogeye59, excellent shot of the Pete Brock designed Lang Cooper, one of my favourite cars :up: .

#31 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:21

I notice this page is taking an exceptional amount of time to open, even with broadband. Although we are now at last in the 21st century where I live, some are not and will not be able to open the page. Is it the size of some photos? Is there a size limit here like most forums?

#32 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 13:09

Most forums? Fortunately for the world at large, I'm glad that most forums that I know of do NOT have a size limit. It'd be a sad day if this place instituted one.

As for the time it's taking to open/load this page, I'd suggest it's more a local problem at your end because it takes no time at all to open for me.

Neil

#33 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 13:21

I agree with RS 2000 - even with a brand new computer on broadband I find threads with lots of pictures do take ages to open - including a few red x's. It would be a great help if everyone used the 'thumbnails' option. It takes far less time to open and you can always open up the pictures you want to look at.

#34 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 17:07

I'm tending towards the D-type end of the scale - admittedly nowhere near pre-broadband days, but a page often takes several seconds to load. Multiply that by perhaps seven image-heavy threads times three or four times a day and it can be a drag.
I'm personally happy with thumbnails, or reasonably-sized full images it you must. But 20 or 30 large pictures per page can be a pain.
Without wishing a 'sad day' on option1, I would support a move towards some sort of restriction

#35 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 17:26

A max of 600 pixels wide at 300dpi (ideally 72dpi) is never usually a problem.
It is the high dpi and large images that cause the slow down.

#36 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 19:29

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
A max of 600 pixels wide at 300dpi (ideally 72dpi) is never usually a problem.
It is the high dpi and large images that cause the slow down.

Andrew just because they blindly do it on a forum you moderate (and I'm pretty sure it's the forum RS2000 meant when he used the term "most", it's certainly the ONLY one I know of that has that ridiculous stricture) does NOT mean it should be done here. I process 800px wide and have no intention of changing to suit those who have difficulty moving into the 21st century.

Why anyone would prefer to see piddlingly tiny images in this day and age is completely beyond me.

For those who have such great difficulty opening a thread that takes "several seconds" to load, may I kindly suggest avoiding threads containing words such as "photos" or "pictures" in the title. Your day will be so much less of a drag, while the rest of us get to see some stunning images in all their glory.

Neil

#37 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 19:47

Originally posted by Option1
As for the time it's taking to open/load this page, I'd suggest it's more a local problem at your end because it takes no time at all to open for me.

Neil

It has to be local, it has to do with the infrastructure of your cable network, and your pc.
Give me the heaviest picture, all I have to do is click the damn mouse and the image is there, ....as it should be in 2008 !

I changed providers recently, have a no more than standard laptop, running on a Linksys router three stories down, standard ADSL internet connection....no problem. It probably also depends on how "clean" your working memory is !!! If you do a lot of internetting...clean away some of the blasted "cookies", and/or
"temporary internet files".
Might not be the main problem, but works for me.
Also, I do not store any documents and files in my pc.

#38 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 20:07

Monterey again, don't recall the year. Carroll Shelby chats with (not yet) Sir Stirling Moss while Phil Hill prepares to exit a 250F.

Posted Image

Cheers,
Kurt O.

#39 swintex

swintex

• 542 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 20:19

One thing that doesn't help page loading times is quoting a post that contains multiple images without editing the quote to only include the relevant image.

Advertisement

#40 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 20:21

Is there a portrait somewhere of Phil Hill that's looking terribly old? He's got a bit of the Dorian Grey thing, doesn't he?

Bruce Moxon

#41 watkins

watkins

• 145 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 21:09

Posted Image
Otto Linton, who raced in the 1948 Watkins Glen Grand Prix, can still handle an MG 59 years later at the 2007 Watkins Glen Vintage weekend.

#42 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 21:35

Coys Silverstone 1998 was the place to be if you wanted to meet your heroes from 50 years ago. The Festival celebrated 50 years since the first GP at Silverstone.

Anthony Marsh inreviews "Toulo" de Graffenreid, while Roy Salvadori lurks in the background in the second shot.

Roy gets ready to demonstrate a Maserati 4CM, and debates with ace artist, Michael Turner.

Tony Crook, and Rob Walker and Tony Brooks

Tony Rolt, and Les Leston

Tony Gaze, and Tiff Needell chatting with Nick Mason

Bob Ansell, and Bob Bondurant (NOT a veteran of the '48 GP, I hasten to add!)

Posted Image Nor is this man, Jon Derisley, reunited with his Lotus 6.

#43 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 21:48

Alan, those are just amazing - each a time capsule of its own. Wow, just wow!

Neil

#44 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 21:53

Originally posted by swintex
One thing that doesn't help page loading times is quoting a post that contains multiple images without editing the quote to only include the relevant image.

Ummm, no that should have no effect as the image will already be loaded from the first post it was in (provided it was on the same page as the quoted post). It doesn't get reloaded down the pipe, the computer just redisplays it from the existing copy it already downloaded.

Hope that made sense.

Neil

#45 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 22:17

It makes sense, but it doesn't work like that for me
On a slow day it will take several seconds for - say - the eight images in the first post to load, and perhaps even longer (or maybe it just seems that way) for the eight repeats to load. Whether or not that's a problem with my computer doesn't make them load any faster :lol:

#46 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,545 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:19

Originally posted by swintex

Good point, I find that very annoying especially when there are maybe 5 or 6 photos and the comment is about just one.

I also find that either not putting captions on each picture or not putting captions in at all is a drag & leaves me wondering is the poster actually knows who is in the picture.

:wave:

#47 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:05

Originally posted by Option1
Andrew just because they blindly do it on a forum you moderate (and I'm pretty sure it's the forum RS2000 meant when he used the term "most", it's certainly the ONLY one I know of that has that ridiculous stricture) does NOT mean it should be done here. I process 800px wide and have no intention of changing to suit those who have difficulty moving into the 21st century.

Neil

Sorry not sure what you mean..I don't moderate on any forums!

#48 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:54

Sorry Andrew, I checked 10/10ths after I posted and did indeed notice you're not moderating there and then forgot to fix my post accordingly. Anyway, my apologies for that, but I still stand by the rest of my post. :blush:

Neil

#49 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:56

No problem Neil, great pictures on your site BTW!

#50 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 16:55

How good to see a photograph of Jon Derisley, quite a character and racing stalwart, always good for a story.
Roger Lund.